Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Korean Feudal Market
posted 01-11-02 10:42 AM CT (US)   
This post will be fleshed out later. Lummir wanted to know about the “Korean Market Strategy,” which I presume to be the practice of building a market and dumping stone for a fast castle. There are enough figures handy to address that.

Basically, the Koreans are the only civ besides the Saracens who can dump their stone without taking a bath. However, the Koreans cannot cost-effectively sell stone and buy food like the Saracens can. The market rates are just too exhorbitant for that.

Bottom line: A Korean gold miner can dig up about $91.64 in gold in the time it takes a Korean stone miner to dig up 100 stone. So, the stone is “worth” $91.64, or thereabouts, if you don’t worry about the limits on the supply of stone and attempt to account for those limits.

So, the Koreans can dump their 200 starting stone, pay the market fee and still get just about exactly what the stone is worth: $91 for the first 100 stone, $90 for the second.

Even civs that take a loss on dumping stone can do it to attain a fast Castle Age. The KLEW is a famous example. Many pre-flush fast Castle strategies relied on it. Stone dumping fell far out of favor with Feudal warfare and its towers, and with the expansion pack's requirement of stone for town centers.

Buyer beware: Yes, you can dump your stone and fast castle, but that has been tried before. It contains many grave risks. Not the least of those risks is that Koreans are, in my opinion, one of the most Unique Unit-dependent civs. War wagons come from castles. Castles require stone.

If a Korean builds a market for a “stone dump,” he might as well use the market to get some food. Farm food “costs” $151.94 per 100 by the time you account for the wood and labor costs. Food at the market starts out at $130. Koreans can buy 900 food before driving the price up past $152.

If this was 1250 AD, your civ would be in Mongolia.
I'm single-player only, so I know nothing. Ain't free speech great?
Hunters all their lives - Mongols, CavArchers & Hussars
Kagemusa - Japanese links
Civs for a new player & Arch Enemies

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-22-2002 @ 03:30 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-11-02 10:54 AM CT (US)     1 / 6  
can u make a post about the viking marked please?

moooooooooooooooo

Ex-Preacher of the "CHAOTIC FUN". It ain't dead. Punk never died either.
From a country in "OLD Europe" and in line with Cuba and Libya!
Consequence: Is sun tanned. Drinks rum. Smokes Cigars. Is Polygam.
*loves RUMSFELD* Late Night Shows can concern themself with Politics now.
I hate NO ONE (Exception: my arch-enemy and angel Winston, whom I wish death each time i see his name), everything else is joking.
And Immortal of the Mageslair: http://www.mageslair.net
posted 01-11-02 11:33 AM CT (US)     2 / 6  
Cow;

Will do, but it may be Monday. My Viking spreadsheet is at home and I'm leaving town later.

Can tell you now, though, that the Vikings run into the same situation as the Aztecs. Their free wheelbarrow benefits farmers more than benefits gold miners. Therefore, their farmers gain a lot of efficiency compared to gold miners as soon as Feudal Age is reached. That limits the benefit Vikings can get from the market.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-11-2002 @ 12:50 PM).]

posted 01-12-02 03:30 PM CT (US)     3 / 6  
Doug Thompson is flooding!

_Von_
posted 01-12-02 06:58 PM CT (US)     4 / 6  
Nice post I always loved the Koreans

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
posted 01-22-02 03:03 PM CT (US)     5 / 6  
posted 02-27-02 11:13 AM CT (US)     6 / 6  
Topped by request. Also, i obviously forgot to flesh this one out. Will do so, though it may be this weekend.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 02-27-2002 @ 11:15 AM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » The Korean Feudal Market
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames