Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: hotkeys for buildings?
posted 07-06-02 10:30 AM CT (US)   
I played AoK yesterday on the Zone, and I was all over the map trying to find my buildings.

Is there a list of hotkeys that you can press that will center on your seige workshop, dock, TC, etc. I read somewhere there is a list, but all I can find are the build hotkeys on the back of the manual.

I wasted half the game searching for my buildings.

Thanks.
Sara

Replies:
posted 07-06-02 10:49 AM CT (US)     1 / 4  
Yes there is.
I think it is in the manual.
Barracks = Ctrl + b
town center = h
etc etc
im fairly sure that it is in the manual, you can also customise your hot keys at the options menu.
Oh yeah, go to the options, then click the hotkey thing, then go to buildings, and it will give u a list
posted 07-06-02 10:59 AM CT (US)     2 / 4  
Hotkey Tips:

With the hotkeys on default settings you can access your buildings by pressing ctrl + the hotkey for the building (Ex: ctrl + b would go to the next barracks, ctrl + z would go to lumber camp, etc).

..... but wait, there's more!

First of all, I wouldn't use the default set-up because it's pretty cumbersome. Most good players set up their hotkeys so that they can reach them all with their left hand in normal typing position.

As an example here's how I set mine up (all so that they're easily reached by left hand without having to look down):

QWERTYU - Top line:

Q = mill
W = siege workshop
E = house
R = lumber camp
T = blacksmith
Y = monastery
U = university

ASDFGHJK - 2nd line:

A = archery
S = stable
D = dock
F = farm
G = selects dock
H = selects TC
J = tower
K = market

ZXCVBN - bottom line:

Z = palisade wall
X = stone wall
C = build FB when dock selected
V = castle
B = barracks
N = town center

I've got one of those 4 button mouses, and I set it up like this:
3rd button = idle villager
4th button = go to last event

With this set-up, I can always keep my eyes on the screen without having to look down.

----------

Inside the buildings, I set up ASDF to correspond to the units in the building as they appear on the bottom left of your screen (helps make it more intuitive).

Ex: When I select my archery range,
A = builds an archer
S = builds a skirmisher
D = builds a cav archer
F = builds a hand cannoneer

At the stable,
A = scout cav/light cav/hussar
S = knight
D = camel

..... but wait, there's more!

Number everything you need to flip through. You can do this by selecting a unit or building, and then pressing ctrl + whatever number you want to assign it to.

A good idea at the start of the game is to assign your TC a number, and then assign your scout a number.

Now you can select the unit(s)/buildings you have assigned that number by simply pressing the number, if you press the number + spacebar, it will select and center itself on that unit(s)/building.

This helps tons in doing a lot of stuff at once. For instance, if you number your TC, you can queue villagers while fighting without ever looking away from the fight. You simply press the number (without spacebar), queue up your vills, and the view stays where it was. Always number your TCs, because it sucks to go back to your town and work your TCs while your units are getting out-micro'ed on the battlefield (because you're not watching them).

It will also help you scout better, and save your scout from opposing TC fire, if you press his # + the spacebar whenever you need to.

If you're doing a galley rush, number your docks, your fleet of galleys, etc. If you're doing a skirm rush, number your archeries... this will make it so that you can queue units without losing sight of the action. Number your forward villagers.

Number anything that you need to use more than a couple times, and your multi-tasking will improve immensely

----------

Hope this stuff helps,

Minos

[This message has been edited by KiNG_MiNoS (edited 07-06-2002 @ 11:01 AM).]

posted 07-06-02 03:07 PM CT (US)     3 / 4  
Thanks so much, guys. You have both been wonderfully helpful.

Sara

posted 07-06-02 04:47 PM CT (US)     4 / 4  
Wow! _MiNoS. How kewl to see that you are still peeping in here from time-to-time... and presumably still playing the game. I see that you've added a bit to your hotkey repetoire.

Phoenix-The RealDeal, Co-Consul, Phoenix Clan; aka tonto_real, Co-founder, Retired Emperor & Patriarch, of Tonto Clan
http://www.phoenixclan.biz
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » hotkeys for buildings?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames