Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Thus Spoke Zarathushtra: A Persian Links Page
posted 08-05-02 05:22 PM CT (US)   
As usual, recommended links for this page are more than welcome.

===============

A Persian with the Hun team bonus can make a good claim on having best knight-rushing combination in the game.

Persia’s extra starting resources give them a good start. Their town center bonus means they reasearch Castle Age 10 percent faster, and shaves more seconds off with faster villager production in the Feudal Age. Recent resource-gathering tests show that Persians are neck-and-neck with the Mongols in the Dark Age, too.

Persians are much like the Huns -- powerful cavalry and weak sword line -- only much stronger on water maps. If anything, Persian cavalry is more fearsome than the Huns. Persian knights have an anti-archer team bonus that also works on skirms, and the Persians have camels, too. Persia is the only civ with a full assortment of stable units with all the upgrades and techs.

Persia is also a fast civ that is a late-game economic powerhouse, a very rare combination. They are also acknowledged leaders in the dangerous “Douche” attack, a highly risky game plan involving deleting your town center in the Feudal Age and rebuilding one at some place highly inconvienent to your opponents.

Visitors to this page will find few posts on war elephants. There is a reason. I have no love for the critters. The unit is too high-priced for what it offers, in my opinion.

Two fine, under-appreciated Persian units are scout-line cavalry and cavalry archers. Persian cavalry archers are not respected much because they lack bracer in Imperial. Yet they suffer no disadvantages in the Castle Age, and are one of only three civs’ CA to have Parthian tactics, ring archer armor and bloodlines. Persian cavalry archers are tough to kill and deadly against spear-line, although the lesser range in Imperial is sometimes annoying.

Persian hussars, frankly, are just among the best “bang for the buck” units in the game. Persia is the only civ with 100% hussars and crop rotation and two-man saw. Their hussars are very tough and very cheap, even without any fishing on the map.

============================
Persian Hunting -- Why Persia is a great, fast hunting civ, by me.

Anyone know how to kill war elephants? -- One of the external newb quesitons leads to a full statement on why many player, including me, beleive the Persians should not make elephants.

Did anyone realize ... -- ... that the Persians have the fastest Dark Age militia rush, or DRUSH, because they can afford a barracks at the start? More of a curiousity than a strat for now, since it may be faster but not as strong as the Aztecs, for instance.

Persian Combined Arms -- So, what combos can you make when sword liine and archers have important Imperial-Age weaknesses? The debate rages between the elephant orthodoxy and the Hun-wise cavalry rebels. Both sides agree on one thing: Hand cannoneers are sweet.

Persian Hunting -- My contention that the Persian’s food bonus translates into a very good hunting bonus, and that hunting increases the benefits of the town center bonus. Includes a plain-English explanation of why the town center bonus is very helpful in the Feudal Age, and a very nice post-game commentary from G6_ and Pale Horse on a good, tough Persian vs. Mayan game between them.

Persian Monk Rush -- Interesting, resourceful game plan by Flammifer.

The Persians: By TheShadowDawn -- The artist now known as DSOD gives an overview of the Persians.

The Sheriff's Persian Dock-First Strategy: By Captn_Kidd. -- Probably the most famous Persian game plan ever invented.

Persian Scout Rush: By Krusty_Kev -- A very nice, developed plan by a veteran player.

Persians vs Huskies -- Hand cannoneers are always handy against Goths, if you can afford them. Hussars are also handy.

Debate: The Persians -- Are the Persians good flushers or not? Reviews are mixed. Discussion was marred by confusion over the town center bonus, which does not apply in the Dark Age.

If this was 1250 AD, your civ would be in Mongolia.
I'm single-player only, so I know nothing. Ain't free speech great?
Hunters all their lives - Mongols, CavArchers & Hussars
Kagemusa - Japanese links
Civs for a new player & Arch Enemies

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 10-25-2002 @ 10:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-05-02 09:08 PM CT (US)     1 / 7  
Nice post Doug. Your ideas make sense. Keep up the good work.
posted 08-05-02 09:20 PM CT (US)     2 / 7  
good job

The China-men built the railroad, the Indians saved the Pilgrims
And in return the Pilgrim killed 'em
They call it it Thanksgiving, I call your holiday hell-day
Cause I'm from poverty, neglected by the wealthy
-Nas
posted 08-05-02 09:31 PM CT (US)     3 / 7  
Doug, this collection is below your usual quality. Your other collections are excellent, but there's not much about the persians. Perhaps I should see about generating something. They certainly have a controversial army with their lack of 2hsword and relatively weak archers.

As a public service I present Doug Thompson's civ thread collections:
Saracen/Turk Mongols Japanese Persians
posted 08-05-02 09:38 PM CT (US)     4 / 7  
Thanks for the support and for the offer of help, everybody.

Nabrimn, I was truly shocked by the lack of Persian posts that weren't of the "Elephants are great! -- No, they're not" variety. I thought the Aztecs were neglected before looking at this civ.

The Persians generated a vast amount of interest when the patch first came out. A lot of people, including me, predicted they'd become top civ. Then the Huns took over, and discussion of Persia suddenly died.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 08-05-2002 @ 09:46 PM).]

posted 08-06-02 12:49 PM CT (US)     5 / 7  
I read in a recent post that the knights +2 vs archers also applies vs skirms.

Does it apply vs cav archers as well?

posted 08-06-02 01:06 PM CT (US)     6 / 7  
jaginger,

I thought I read somewhere that it applied only to those archers that stand on their hind legs (which CA do with an occasional rare-up ); Foot archers was the term used. This would suggest a possible bonus verses hand cannoneers?

Nabrimn,

Their lack of the general purpose swordline at the upper echelon, only underlines the degree of specialization a Persian force must encompass. All the pieces are there (OK, Siege Onagers would be real handy), and you have to use them in concert. This can be difficult, and can be costly, but their econ can sustain it. That is why I feel that the LCav or Hussar should constitute the core of their imperial calvalry. The typical champ core army with counters guarding siege is just waiting for expensive calvalry to ride up. Spend your gold to kill the core of the enemy force, whatever it may be, HCan's, Camels, etc. Wipe out the rest with high speed dirt, er trash.

And don't forget: 2 elephants, name the Stompy ans Stampy; chase idle enemy vils with them '.'

NOOB'XPERT wannabe

[This message has been edited by Pale Horse (edited 08-06-2002 @ 01:09 PM).]

posted 08-06-02 01:46 PM CT (US)     7 / 7  
I'm pretty sure the Persian knight's anti-archer bonus applies to cavalry archers and hand cannoneers too, but will test it tonight to make sure. Also, it is a team bonus.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Thus Spoke Zarathushtra: A Persian Links Page
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames