Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Swp's Guide to House Starts
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 12-30-02 05:19 PM CT (US)   
Swp's Guide to House Starts

Introduction

Since I have about five minutes of free time, I've decided to go in-depth into the most popular variations of House starts, and then talk about the civs who have special circumstances for them. And, of course, I need a newbie quote: "OMG I R CANSWURTH I R GONNA MAKEZ TEH FOOL OFF MYSELF IF I POSTZ IN TEHIS PHTHREAD LOL!!!111" So, Cans, stay away.

This is based entirely off common sense; no tests needed. *glares at Nabrimn and Doug Thompson*

The "Default" Start

The Buildup

The most common buildup for non-Mayan, non-Chinese, non-Spanish and non-Hun civs (for the sole purposes of ease in this guide, we'll call them "normal" civs) is this:

Vils 1 and 2: House.
Vil 3: House.

The Reasoning

Since you're at 4/5 pop (Scout and 3 Vils), you're going to be needing Houses to extend that pop cap so you can pump Vils more smoothly. However, is this the most optimal start?

8/10 Pop?

The Buildup

Another buildup I have seen for normal civs is this:

Vil 3: Scout/Straggler.

The Reasoning

One sole Vil cannot build a House fast enough in order to be able to put the pop cap back. If you used one Vil on a House at the start, the second Vil being made at the TC will be delayed a bit. A House takes 25 seconds to build, and a Vil takes 25 seconds to train. However, you spend time getting the Vil moving to a "good" House location (a location that's not going to interrupt Farming around the TC later on). Thus, you'll miss out some time. Although two Vils don't build a House twice as fast (they only build one a few seconds earlier), they will still get the House up before the first Vil has been trained.

You don't need the second House right away. So, you can use the third Vil to help your Scout look for Sheep, or have him chop a straggler until the Sheep arrive at the TC for processing.

The second House comes at 8/10 pop, since Houses must be built 2 pop slots ahead of the current pop cap. If you were to build a House at 9/10 pop (1 pop slot ahead of the pop cap), you would delay a Vil. The current pop (9/10) Vil has to walk a bit before it builds a House. By then, the Vil at the TC is already being trained. The next Vil will be delayed because the House won't be up by then. It's most optimal to build a House 2 pop slots ahead of the pop cap, because you won't delay production, and that you won't waste time making a House ahead of time.

The Problem

When you use the 8/10 Pop Housing start, you have a bit of a problem. When you compare the Default start with this, the 8/10 House start is slightly slower. Why?

The Reasoning

Every start looks for Sheep to place on that TC. However, the 8/10 House start wants to look for the Sheep earlier or chop some wood earlier. However, most Sheep, on average, are placed at about the same distance from the TC (BTW, Nabrimn, Doug, this will not affect the Mill/LC-first starts, thanks). If we take into account that the Sheep get to the TC, that the third Vil stops chopping wood, he'll only have gathered 3 or 4 wood. And the 8/10 House start loses more time making the second House at 8/10 pop, when the corresponding Vil in the Default start is actually putting those Vil seconds to use.

The "Verdict"

The 8/10 House start is sometimes better on water maps (Sheep is LIFE on water maps). However, the Default start tends to get much more better on land maps.

Three Houses

The Buildup

Yet another buildup for normal civs:

Vil 3: House.
Vil 3: House again when it's done the previous House.

The Reasoning

Some people prefer to go three Houses, because it saves more Vil seconds. Your Sheep might not be on the TC when the second House is done, so you could build another one. The Vil on 13/15 pop in the corresponding Default start would have to build a House. In this start, you don't have to build another House until 18/20 pop. Theoretically, it can get you more resources, saving those Vils seconds for something "useful" other than for building a House.

The Problem

Wood. Three Houses (before civ bonuses, etc.) comes to a total of 90 wood. The player is left with 110 wood, making it even harder to plop down a Mill or LC (don't even think about debating in THIS thread, Doug, Nabrimn) after the first one (if the civ is not Japanese or Persians). If you were to LC, you need to gather 90 wood before you can plop down a Mill. It goes the same the other way. In a Default start, you're left with 140 wood (only two Houses), and only have to gather 60 wood, making your second 100 wood building easier to get up, and it will be before the third House at 13/15 pop, as well.

The "Verdict"

This buildup is not really recommended. Three Houses may theoretically save Vil seconds, but when you take into account the early wood deficit, it's not really worth it.

The "Others"

Mayans

The Mayans can yet again perform a Default start, but they would consider Looming first. If a Mayan player were to use the Loom "trick" (hit C, press Loom really fast in multiplayer lag), they essentially queue up a Vil after Loom is done. This saves a few seconds in multiplayer lag.

Chinese

The Chinese start at 7/10 pop (Scout, 6 Vils) and down some wood. However, the Chinese can safely consider the 8/10 House start, because they can allocate all their Vils to cutting a straggler before the Sheep arrive. And when they do, the Vils chopping wood can drop off wood (probably around 20-25 wood, a good starting surplus that almost pays for the first House). The first Vil from the TC can then build a House.

Spanish

The Spanish can get something really cool. They can:

Vil 1: House.
Vil 2: House.
Vil 3: Scout/Straggler.

How come? They got 30% faster building. The Spaniards could also build a House 1 pop slot before the pop cap (14/15), while still keeping smooth Vil production IF (and only IF) they start building the House at least before the Vil currently being trained is 30% done. That way, they save more Vil seconds (plus, they already save more from faster building Houses), and still not delay Vil production.

Huns

The Huns are a bit obvious. They can help the Scout scout for Sheep, or just hit a straggler to add a bit more wood surplus into their 100 wood deficit at the start.

The "Other Others"

Japanese

The Japanese are probably one of the only civs that can properly perform the Three House start due to that their LC and Mill only cost 50 wood. They aren't behind with 110 wood, so they can safely plop both down, and easily gather the next 20 wood needed for the next House at 18/20 pop.

Persians

The Persians start with +50 wood and +50 food. They can also perform the Three House start, since they end up with 160 wood. They need to gather only 40 more wood after they plop down the first 100 wood building, in order to get the next 100 wood building down. And the 30 wood for the next House is easily met by 18/20 pop.

Conclusion

On land maps, the most used start is the Default start, and is usually the most optimal start (see above for the notes). However, the 8/10 House start is not bad for water maps, as you can use that third starting Vil to help the Scout find the Sheep, as Sheep is what is absolutely required in the first few minutes on water maps (Grushing, going Fires, etc.). The Japanese and Persians are probably the only civs that can execute the Three House start relatively well, and the start isn't bad; it saves Vil seconds in the long run. Don't forget the "other" civs, like the Spanish and Chinese, who demand special attention. The Mayans only need attention at the start with Loom, and the Huns...well, they're the Huns.

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.

[This message has been edited by swp (edited 12-30-2002 @ 05:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-30-02 05:47 PM CT (US)     1 / 89  
Nice Post swp!

How about placement of houses? Is it better to try to place them (2 or 3) in a line between enemy and your TC or is it best to just drop them ASAP?

Also please comment on my Mayan house start. I go three houses on the edge of the darkness. I place them on three different sides of the TC and start my scout in the fourth side direction. I either find my sheep when houses become built (by their range of site) or by the scout. Perhaps 1 out of 10 games I need to send the vils out looking for sheep right after they have completed their house.

Though 1 out of 10 games I play is probably hard or hardest settings also. Does that make a difference?

And then slightly off topic... I have been building my mill lately around the 19 to 21 vil mark. And often at deer herd or both deer and berries. Any reason why I shouldn't go sooner? I noticed you mentioned not having wood for mill but this late in dark its rather easy.

posted 12-30-02 05:53 PM CT (US)     2 / 89  
*Doug Thompson glares back.*

Seriously, nice post. I especially like the Spanish start.

If this was 1250 AD, your civ would be in Mongolia.
I'm single-player only, so I know nothing. Ain't free speech great?
Hunters all their lives - Mongols, CavArchers & Hussars
Kagemusa - Japanese links
Civs for a new player & Arch Enemies
posted 12-30-02 05:55 PM CT (US)     3 / 89  

Quote:

Nice Post swp!
How about placement of houses? Is it better to try to place them (2 or 3) in a line between enemy and your TC or is it best to just drop them ASAP?

I'll just drop them ASAP, but not really "dropping" them. "Drop" them in good positions; spread them out. Don't keep your Houses all in one place, as they can give some good LOS when you have Town Watch.

Quote:

Also please comment on my Mayan house start. I go three houses on the edge of the darkness. I place them on three different sides of the TC and start my scout in the fourth side direction. I either find my sheep when houses become built (by their range of site) or by the scout. Perhaps 1 out of 10 games I need to send the vils out looking for sheep right after they have completed their house.

I need more information. Do you send 1-2 to a House, then 3 to two Houses? Or each Vil to a House? If you did the latter, I wouldn't suggest it as you'll delay the first Vil. However, using the Three House start with Mayans is a bit risky considering you'll need more wood later on.

Quote:

Though 1 out of 10 games I play is probably hard or hardest settings also. Does that make a difference?

The difficulty levels don't make a difference with the Sheep placement; but with the aggressiveness of the wolves.

Quote:

And then slightly off topic... I have been building my mill lately around the 19 to 21 vil mark. And often at deer herd or both deer and berries. Any reason why I shouldn't go sooner? I noticed you mentioned not having wood for mill but this late in dark its rather easy.

You should go earlier. Going too late cuts back on the food you need to hit Feudal. I mentioned not having wood for the second 100 wood building right after the first one, not having no wood later on in Dark. In Dark, later on, you'll have LOTS of wood. Just, with a Three House start, you need to collect more wood or get it faster somehow, in order to build the two 100 wood buildings you most commonly need to Feudal (LC and Mill).

STEVE

posted 12-30-02 06:22 PM CT (US)     4 / 89  
swp, I wouldn't say any of that bs...

Can a newb beat a 'good person'? I believe I could beat you, as you haven't played since the dawn of time.

posted 12-30-02 06:26 PM CT (US)     5 / 89  

Quote:

Can a newb beat a 'good person'? I believe I could beat you, as you haven't played since the dawn of time.

Quote:

swp, I wouldn't say any of that bs...

Ha, you just did!

BTW, you also called yourself a "newb," since I never mentioned you being one in this thread.

Quote:

I believe I could beat you, as you haven't played since the dawn of time.

Dream on. Just because you can beat Morningthaw doesn't mean anything; Morningthaw SUCKS.

And the comment "dawn of time" is irregular; in a literal sense, it is incorrect. I haven't played for about two months now, but I doubt I've lost anything since I'm currently playing AoM.

Well, having said all that, my prediction came true. Cans made a fool of himself in this thread.

STEVE

[This message has been edited by swp (edited 12-30-2002 @ 06:27 PM).]

posted 12-30-02 07:03 PM CT (US)     6 / 89  

Quote:

Since I have about five minutes of free time, I've decided to go in-depth...

Well, that was some five minutes well spent wasn't it.
BTW, im pretty sure Cans can beat you.

"This is real, it's the same place where i get my other harlious news!" -Brock88
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."-George W. Bush
"I love playing the AoK Theme in the middle of the night at full volume. Then I run around dressed up like a M@A and attack people."-Spitfire
This signature is subject to copywright. ©2004
posted 12-30-02 07:16 PM CT (US)     7 / 89  

Quote:

BTW, im pretty sure Cans can beat you.

Get him into a game vs. Monwar Hussein (ZN: _Bangladesh_), and then report back to me.

Thanks.

STEVE

posted 12-30-02 07:58 PM CT (US)     8 / 89  
uh...I remember I could almost beat Canny. If swp still plays, it wouldn't even be close

The China-men built the railroad, the Indians saved the Pilgrims
And in return the Pilgrim killed 'em
They call it it Thanksgiving, I call your holiday hell-day
Cause I'm from poverty, neglected by the wealthy
-Nas
posted 12-30-02 08:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 89  
hohoho, this post is acually helpful. i never knew it was possible to make such a helpful post about houses.
posted 12-30-02 08:41 PM CT (US)     10 / 89  
Ballistix...

Cansworth has improved greatly since you last played him. I don't think this can be decided by words. Why don't Swp and Cans have a grudge match on Arabia!! That would sort this out once and for all!

TOAO_FunkyGus
TOAO Clan
Silly God...stop editting my post or else I'll pwn you!

[This message has been edited by God (edited 04-15-2004 @ 07:24 AM).]

posted 12-30-02 09:07 PM CT (US)     11 / 89  
for many many years I have searched for the perfect house order for the Huns and I have finally found it. THX J00 SOOOOO MUCHAS!

Seriously its nice. As a newbie I always went 3 houses at start one on each house which was why I was a newbie then.

Matt the Great II
My n00bish little underscore will kill you!
Member of the LTR Clan
posted 12-30-02 10:00 PM CT (US)     12 / 89  
Great Post swp........!

This is IT, That is ALL!
AOKH Ladder Standings
AOKH AOE III Forum
AOKH Training Camp
Zone Name: DarkSide_of_Day
posted 12-30-02 11:02 PM CT (US)     13 / 89  
Hmm, perhaps I should try going 3 house when I play Japan. I didn't realize it still saved vil-secs after accounting for the delay in the second vil.

*returns SWP's glare*

According to this data 2 vils will finish a house in 75% of the time 1 vil would take, or 18.75 seconds. This wastes 12.5 vil-seconds. The three villagers must get started on their houses in an average of 4.17 seconds to break even if only the delay in the second vil is counted, but the sooner the second vil is completed the sooner the third can be started. The average vil takes X seconds to get started on a house. X vil seconds will be lost for every vil starting at the second until the TC goes idle for X seconds. Assuming the TC doesn't go idle until just before feudal age and that a 28 vil feudal is standard, 27X vil seconds will be lost. For this to be less than the 12.5 vil seconds lost to inefficiency in the 2 house start X must be less than 0.46 seconds. I suspect that X is significantly below 0.46 seconds, so a 3 house start is worthwhile for civs that can manage it without starving themselves of wood.

So, in short, the math supports SWPs conclusion for Persia and Japan.

As a public service I present Doug Thompson's civ thread collections:
Saracen/Turk Mongols Japanese Persians
posted 12-30-02 11:48 PM CT (US)     14 / 89  
swp...your first post was very good, and i am sure people new to the game will find it useful. however...your subsequent posts go downhill. i very much doubt cansworth bases his opinion of how good he is onbeating me a few times. and, as i have already pointed out when he did beat me i was messing around...cansworth seems to think that turkish tower rushing on continental is a serious strat. and i dont suck...you are the last person who should comment on skill, as even when you did play your "skills" were questionable. you may have a quick mouth, but you dont have a quick brain.
posted 12-31-02 00:48 AM CT (US)     15 / 89  

Quote:

swp...your first post was very good, and i am sure people new to the game will find it useful. however...your subsequent posts go downhill. i very much doubt cansworth bases his opinion of how good he is onbeating me a few times.

Too late. You should've been here when he made that one topic where he claimed he was an expert just because he won a game recently against you. DSoD deleted it in five minutes.

Quote:

and, as i have already pointed out when he did beat me i was messing around...cansworth seems to think that turkish tower rushing on continental is a serious strat.

So, to compensate for your absolute LACK OF SKILL, you say that you use "crappy" strategies?

Quote:

and i dont suck...you are the last person who should comment on skill, as even when you did play your "skills" were questionable. you may have a quick mouth, but you dont have a quick brain.

A quick mouth is a quick brain. A quick brain means a quick mouth, which implies WIT. Something you obviously don't have.

My skills were questionable? Even after TONS and TONS of recorded games I posted?

Oh, please.

Try refuting arguments; don't wrap around them and say "OMG I R NOT USEZ TEH SERIOUS STRAT LOL!!!111"

STEVE

posted 12-31-02 00:52 AM CT (US)     16 / 89  
swp, I challenge you to a 1v1......I don't care if you'll beat me, I just want to see your mad skillz.

"This is real, it's the same place where i get my other harlious news!" -Brock88
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."-George W. Bush
"I love playing the AoK Theme in the middle of the night at full volume. Then I run around dressed up like a M@A and attack people."-Spitfire
posted 12-31-02 01:00 AM CT (US)     17 / 89  
Does it look like I have the game installed?

Would you like to play AoM instead? (While I still have time to play it.)

STEVE

posted 12-31-02 01:14 AM CT (US)     18 / 89  

Quote:

Does it look like I have the game installed?

Well, what an unpredictable excuse.

Quote:

Would you like to play AoM instead? (While I still have time to play it.)

No, I would not. IMO, aom sucks, I didnt think an ES rts would lose its appeal to me after two weeks.......

posted 12-31-02 01:27 AM CT (US)     19 / 89  

Quote:

I actually don't have it installed...haven't played since September. Unlike some people, I do WORK. I'm putting out a 95 average in school; I'm not going to let that go. Why? I don't want to turn out like Morningthaw; on welfare and playing AoK. Or even worse, Cans, being some incomprehensible fool immersed in his own ego.

Quote:

No, I would not. IMO, aom sucks, I didnt think an ES rts would lose its appeal to me after two weeks.......

STEVE

posted 12-31-02 01:36 AM CT (US)     20 / 89  

Quote:

Unlike some people, I do WORK. I'm putting out a 95 average in school; I'm not going to let that go.

You wouldnt be referring to me now would you? If you are, please explain to me how you would know if I have a job or not.

Quote:

I'm not going to let that go. Why? I don't want to turn out like Morningthaw; on welfare and playing AoK. Or even worse, Cans, being some incomprehensible fool immersed in his own ego.

Why are you insulting them in your response to my post? Oh, try not to answer this with "Because Morning sux and he isnt as good as people think and Cans is an idiot with a big ego and he sux too".

posted 12-31-02 01:40 AM CT (US)     21 / 89  

Quote:

You wouldnt be referring to me now would you? If you are, please explain to me how you would know if I have a job or not.

I'm not refering to you. If you assumed I was refering to you, that TELLS you something.

Quote:

Why are you insulting them in your response to my post? Oh, try not to answer this with "Because Morning sux and he isnt as good as people think and Cans is an idiot with a big ego and he sux too".

"Because Morning sux and he isnt as good as people think and Cans is an idiot with a big ego and he sux too."

I'm insulting them to SUPPORT my statements. Would you write a school essay when you only MAKE a statement without support? I don't think so.

STEVE

[This message has been edited by swp (edited 12-31-2002 @ 01:42 AM).]

posted 12-31-02 01:41 AM CT (US)     22 / 89  
Poor baby; still crying after I threatened to disqualify you in the sig contest thread?

STEVE

posted 12-31-02 01:45 AM CT (US)     23 / 89  

Quote:

Poor baby; still crying after I threatened to disqualify you in the sig contest thread?

That would be agood insult, if I was a 10 year old.
That threat to disqualify me really hurt me, I stopped copying your sigs after that didnt I? Well, I can always do that again, I know how much you enjoy it.

posted 12-31-02 01:49 AM CT (US)     24 / 89  

Quote:

That would be agood insult, if I was a 10 year old.

You ARE a ten year-old. If not, you certainly act like one with varying mood swings. I didn't want to insult you. Note the use of my smilies. However, when you provoke me, I will hold a grudge to those who know that they WILL lose their dignity.

Quote:

That threat to disqualify me really hurt me, I stopped copying your sigs after that didnt I? Well, I can always do that again, I know how much you enjoy it.

Go right on ahead. I didn't really care in the first place. Seriously. There's an "Enforcer" attitude I still have to keep up, so I might as well do everything I can to keep it.

STEVE

posted 12-31-02 01:56 AM CT (US)     25 / 89  
Posts related to the topic, even remotely: 6
Posts not related to the topic: 18
Posts in which DSoD vents some excess optimism: 1

Food for thought.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Swp's Guide to House Starts
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames