You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Could not initialize graphics system?
posted 01-18-03 02:30 PM CT (US)   
What does this mean? I can't play for some reason, and it worked fine a few days ago.

"Could no initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with Direct Draw."

Argh... the CD isn't even scratched or anything

Replies:
posted 01-18-03 09:50 PM CT (US)     1 / 7  
Do you have window xp?

Former AOKH and TOAO Deathmatch Ladder Champion

posted 01-18-03 10:12 PM CT (US)     2 / 7  

Quote:

"Could no initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with Direct Draw."

I have experienced the same problem quite a few times before, but the solution is generally pretty easy.

First of all, try restarting your computer, which works for me in the majority of cases that this problem occurs. If restarting does not work, then try reinstalling the game. For me, those two simple solutions have worked all of the time.

"Einstein is a fool." - Schrodinger
"The way to chastity is not to struggle with incontinent thoughts but to avert the thoughts by some employment, or by reading, or by meditating on other things, or by conversation. " - Sir Isaac Newton
CC | AoPS | M-W | PF | SSP | OCW | IBS | KCLS | CB
"We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this something, at whatever cost, must be attained" - Marie Curie
"I was taught that the way of progress is neither swift nor easy" - Marie Curie

[This message has been edited by Tonto_Simfish (edited 01-18-2003 @ 10:19 PM).]

posted 01-19-03 06:13 AM CT (US)     3 / 7  
Also i have another question.
What does it mean when u try and play a recorded game and it say Cannot load that old recorded game
posted 01-19-03 08:51 AM CT (US)     4 / 7  
That game was recorded in the pre-patched version of AoK:TC (v1.0/v1.0a).

Quoted from the patch documentation:

To play a Conquerors Expansion 1.0 recorded game:

1.In the Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II folder (or wherever you installed the game), create a Conquerors folder.
2.Copy the following files from your Conquerors 1.0 disc to the new Conquerors folder:
•CLCD16.DLL
•CLCD32.DLL
•CLOKSPL.EXE
•DPLAYERX.DLL
•DRVMGT.DLL
•AGE2_X1.EXE
•AGE2_X1.ICD
3.Create a shortcut to Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Conquerors\Age2_X1.EXE, with the Start In folder set to Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II.
4.Start The Conquerors Expansion 1.0 using the new shortcut, then play The Conquerors Expansion 1.0 recorded game.

posted 01-19-03 08:55 AM CT (US)     5 / 7  
Yeh but like 1 game i recorded 2 days ago and it says Cannot load that old recorded game. How is it prepatched
posted 01-19-03 01:52 PM CT (US)     6 / 7  
I occasionally get the "cannot initialize graphics system" message. Then, the next time I try to play, I won't get the message. Hmm.
posted 01-20-03 10:24 AM CT (US)     7 / 7  
yeah I just restarted and it worked...odd
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Could not initialize graphics system?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames