General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Help me play AoK online at school
posted 02-06-08 03:22 PM CT (US)   
The following ports need to be open in order to play AOK online:
My question is, do you need these ports open just to play, even if you are not hosting?

The reason behind this question is that I want to play AOK (of late, mostly Age of Chivalry) online at school (I've got a really messed up schedule this semester, with lots of long breaks between classes, hence I want something to do during the breaks, besides homework). My university does not allow students to configure the routers/firewalls, etc. As far as I know, there are no other connection issues with the internet at school.

I'm sure you can understand my frustration when I cannot join games (I've only tried using Hamachi/IP, as IGZ really wont like the mod) at school.* I am fairly certain that I have played AoK online in the past without having opened any ports (from home), but I can't remember when (pre-IGZ for sure, not sure how much earlier).

I have been able to play games with the mod (with the same people, for the most part) using Hamachi while at home, where all the ports are opened, etc.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I was a little hesitant to post this as a thread on its own, as it seems to me that my answer might be just a simple YES/NO, but if not, then this would certainly derail the G&SD FAQ.

* My brother plays games in the Need for Speed series, and he has had no trouble playing online while at school. He needs to have a port open to host, but not to join a launched game.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.

[This message has been edited by sly_guy (edited 02-06-2008 @ 09:24 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-06-08 08:37 PM CT (US)     1 / 2  
i don't the AoC ports come into the picture when you use hamachi
posted 02-07-08 06:15 PM CT (US)     2 / 2  
Regardless of whether they do or not (I have very little experience when it comes to using Hamachi), I still can't play at school.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Help me play AoK online at school
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames