General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ask Sandy
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
posted 09-18-08 03:11 PM CT (US)   
Aro Patterson e-mailed me, and asked me to log onto Age of Kings Heaven and post an Ask Sandy thread, in his words so the community could get "closure" on questions.

I remember the old Ask Sandy days well and fondly. In fact, whoever put up the wikipedia article about me mentioned my Ask Sandy threads as one of the cogent things I did

So ask away.

Sandy Petersen
Replies:
posted 09-18-08 03:15 PM CT (US)     1 / 236  
Nice of you to come back and answer some questions, Sandy.

What new developing company will you ES guys make?

Will you get a new publisher besides Microsoft?

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 09-18-2008 @ 03:18 PM).]

posted 09-18-08 06:36 PM CT (US)     2 / 236  
General:

• In retrospect, what part of working at ES did you enjoy the most?
  • Of the people who worked at ES, who won most of the games during playtesting?
  • What ES game do/did you enjoy playing the most?
  • What are some of your favourite games?
  • What kind of music do you listen to?
  • What inspired you to do what you do for a living?

And now, some AoK-related ones:

• Do you still play Age of Kings/The Conquerors? If so, how often?
  • Which civilization is your favourite? (As a player, not a game designer )
  • What's your favourite unit in AoK?
  • What part of AoK did you enjoy designing the most?
  • Which building looked the best in-game?
  • Would you consider playing some games of AoK with members of AoKH? (Provided you still play, of course )

That's all I can think of for now, but I might have some later.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
  • posted 09-18-08 06:40 PM CT (US)     3 / 236  
    posted 09-18-08 07:49 PM CT (US)     4 / 236  
    What is your stance regarding the e patch?
    posted 09-18-08 08:04 PM CT (US)     5 / 236  
    Hi Sandy, appreciate you doing this very much. I'm a big fan of your work. Got plenty of questions, but I'll start with the main ones that have been beating at my brain:

Has your perception of the PC gaming industry changed in these last 8 eight years, since the original Ask Sandy threads? Do you have any predictions on what the gaming industry will be like in 10 more years?

Do you believe that RTS games will move over to consoles?

How has the role of a game designer, and especially *your* role as a game designer, evolved since your work on AoK?

Regarding the fall of the MS Gaming Zone; prior to the recommendation of GameSpy Arcade, did ES consider creating an in-house multiplayer replacement for AoE/AoK?

Will post-game multiplayer support continue for ESO and ESO2?

Communities like Age of Kings Heaven, which is eight years old now, have continued to exist due to player modding and scenario design; we continue to get new players every day. What's your take on these kinds of communities?

Does it ever frustrate you, as a game designer, when players don't move on to your next title?

Looking back at the development of AoK, is there anything you wished you guys would've done differently (maybe things you weren't allowed to do by MS, or didn't have the time/funding for)?

» Your attractive master.
    » "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 09-19-2008 @ 01:22 AM).]

posted 09-18-08 09:10 PM CT (US)     6 / 236  
    More like Aro pulled a big thick Yak-Hide rope.
    Its good to see a Es guy here! The only one ive seen was Thunder!

Alright Sandy ill ask:
    What is the meaning of life?
    What do you think of the Age of Chivalry Mod( Not the one for Half-Life)

Know god, No fear
    No god, Know fear
    posted 09-18-08 09:26 PM CT (US)     7 / 236  
    1. Has ES ever considered bundling custom AoK content such as the stuff hosted here at the blacksmith in a AoK special edition?

2. What do you see for the future of the Age series?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 09-18-08 11:32 PM CT (US)     8 / 236  
    1. Will there be an AoE4? ie, is there any chance of a world war era AOE game?

2. What do you think about IGZ?

"We are only supposed to stereotype the games, and not the gamers. I think I might have blurred that line with mine though? Oh well, if the shoe fits... " - AnastasiaKafka
    From here
    posted 09-19-08 01:55 AM CT (US)     9 / 236  
    How'd you come up with the Rocket jump on Mt. Erebus?

Thanks for stopping by, Sandy. It's much appreciated.

The DOOM community is fairly similar to ours in that they, too, developed a plethora of tools to aid their map design and thus managed to stretch the lifespan of DOOM far beyond it's expiry date. Instead of going for the throat and asking for the one thing we're missing if compared to them - if it were up to you, would you rather have your fans support your old games with the vigor they've so far displayed, or move on to your newer titles?

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
    I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
    posted 09-19-08 02:32 AM CT (US)     10 / 236  
    Do you think the Genie engine will ever be made open source?

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
    `
    Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
    ि
    StormWind Studios
    posted 09-19-08 03:26 AM CT (US)     11 / 236  
    -What period of history do your personally find most interesting?

-Do you ever feel like you missed an opportunity with including/excluding certain civilisations (hence expansion packs) but couldn't include the civilisations you wanted to include/exclude?

-How have ES game testers evolved as the games have evolved? Are they more professional players now in light of cherry-picking select parts of the game playing community or do professional gamers (example Korean gamers) continue to dominate during early games?

Discworld Designer!
    MY DESIGNS:-] 2002PTC Honourable mention, collaboration with Qazitory
    Troll Bridge v1.3, Dragons Lair v1.1
    Project Page
    posted 09-19-08 04:22 AM CT (US)     12 / 236  
    Why does the A.I. always delete partly built buildings if the builder is attacked (losing up to 649 stone for no reason) and why does the A.I. always send all its villagers to try to take down an enemy tower (which unneccesarily disrupts the economy)? In Rise of Rome the AI didn't make those mistakes!

Will Ensemble Studios ever tell us the secret of increasing the number of civs in the game, enabling us to add our own ones (like Bosnians, Macedons, Atlanteans, Vietnamese etc.) without having to discard (read: edit) existing ones? It would be so cool if we could do that, because then I would at least double the amount of civs in the game for my mod.

uh, something isn't right here... anyway, my World War 3 Mod for AOKTC can be downloaded at www.box.net/shared/bvrxatdsoj but the remainder of my signature seems to be gone for good...
    let's see whether I can make my campaigns visible here (they only work with my mod) http://www.box.net/shared/48xmrzdu94 http://www.box.net/shared/xl9rtl5k17well, it seems to work!
    posted 09-19-08 10:28 AM CT (US)     13 / 236  
    I have some questions about AoE1. Will there ever be any more updates, like patches, etc.? It seemed like we were abandoned by ES after AoK came out. And will Micro$oft or your guys' new studio make any more age games, or if not, what kind of RTS games?

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
    posted 09-19-08 11:46 AM CT (US)     14 / 236  
    I see there are many questions asked yet also i have one.
    I like AOK-TC AI scripting. There are many things very clear about scripting language but there are some i am not able to know exactly: about strategic numbers and especially about sn-target-evaluation sns is it somewhere some documentation that explain the exact meaning? for example it is clear that if i set a hight value of sn-target-evaluation-distance, units will like to attack closer enemies, but at the opposite if i set a hight value of sn-target-evaluation-attack-attempt i really don't know what happens... and the same for other strategic numbers. I know CPSB.doc to explain all would be a 500 pages document...
    posted 09-19-08 12:09 PM CT (US)     15 / 236  
    Hi Sandy - it's great to see a dev showing up on forums for a game this old.

I've only got one question: With Ensemble closing down, is there any possibility (however slim) of some or all of the source-code for your older games being released, so that the folks like us who still love and play them can continue to improve them?

Silk
    Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
    Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
    OMGWTFBBQ
    posted 09-19-08 12:14 PM CT (US)     16 / 236  
    Have you played some scenarios of the members of AoKH?

What new feature would you add to AoK?

Poison refreshes your mind
    posted 09-19-08 12:24 PM CT (US)     17 / 236  
    Future plans? A new company? Same genre?

(If thunder/Graham needs any help look my way. :P)

Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Trample the Weak - Hurdle the Dead!
    "It's kind of a...persnickety magic." Atzy
    End of Nations!
    End of Nations Community Manager
    posted 09-19-08 12:46 PM CT (US)     18 / 236  
    Welcome back Sandy, great to see you! I have a few questions right now, I'll come up with a few others - more imaginative ones - later on;

• Did you - the team - ever consider expanding AoK even further, like a second expansion broadening into say Indian history, the Hanseatic league etc?
    • Looking at the in game campaigns, AoE3 covers very little of European history while the earlier games covered bigger parts of the world. Still there were many big conflicts in Europe during the time period, like the 30 years war, Great Northern War, War of the Spanish Succesion etc. Were there ever any plans on portraying Europe in the game as well?
    • How come the editor, amongst other things, is built up entirely differently in AoE3 compared to AoK?
    • Are/were there any rejected, yet completed, scenarios than never made it to the game and expansion (AoK)? And if so, will we ever see them?

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    posted 09-19-08 02:29 PM CT (US)     19 / 236  
    Hi Sandy

Great to see you around! I recall the days of the original 'Ask Sandy' thread well. I was trying to compile a semi-official comprehensive list of the upcoming features for AOK:TC and you would answer the questions in a way to give us a little bit of info without giving away all of the coming details (new maps, new units like the Jaguar Warrior or Plumed Archer, the new custom RMS feature, etc). We would pump you and DeathShrimp for every detail we could get. Then after the release of AOK:TC your thread became rather different, rather 'oracle' like (combo of a mystic oracle, an all-knowing sage, an experienced gamer, and a Magic Eight Ball all in one)!

Just wanted to let you know how much we appreciated being able to interact with the game developers in a meaningful(and of course often not-so-meaningful) way.

And for a question - what in particular have you been working on for ES lately?
    posted 09-19-08 04:22 PM CT (US)     20 / 236  

Was this the "grand plan" for the age of empires serious?

If so, I'm sad to here ES(not that I'm not, but you know what I mean)shutting down, I'm sure 4 and 5 would have awesome.

The Wall

coming soon
    posted 09-19-08 04:29 PM CT (US)     21 / 236  
    Why do bird units in the age games explode upon death?
    Have you ever designed a scenario?
    What's going to happen to Age of Mythology on DS?

◓◓◓◓◓
    posted 09-19-08 05:03 PM CT (US)     22 / 236  
    will there be a new age of empires with a gameplay similar to age of empires II with the tweaks of age of mythology, ofc in the middle age?

will there be any ES-style RTS in the future?
    posted 09-19-08 06:12 PM CT (US)     23 / 236  
    1) What new developing company will you ES guys make?
    A – not all of us will be going to the new company. I think it only has about 30 guys out of almost 120. For example, I am not going to the new company. This is pretty much the end of Ensemble Studios – we are going to be spread far and wide around the country.

2) Will you get a new publisher besides Microsoft?
    A – I believe the new company does have a contract with Microsoft, but I am not really privy to their business plan.

3) In retrospect, what part of working at ES did you enjoy the most?
    A – my co-workers

4_ Of the people who worked at ES, who won most of the games during playtesting?
    A – the playtest team. They are crack guys after all.

5) What ES game do/did you enjoy playing the most?
    A – actually I liked Age 3 the best.

6) What are some of your favourite games?
    A – traditional - contract bridge; board – Agricola; roleplaying – call of cthulhu; computer – world of warcraft

7) What kind of music do you listen to?
    A – an eclectic mix. People like Warren Zevon and Tom Waites.

8) What inspired you to do what you do for a living?
    A – I backed into it by accident. It was never part of the plan.

9) Do you still play Age of Kings/The Conquerors? If so, how often?
    A – not really. After all I finished working on it almost a decade ago. I’m thrilled that players still enjoy it though.

10) Which civilization is your favourite? (As a player, not a game designer )
    A – I can’t separate the “player” from the “designer” in me. I like the Aztecs and Mayans best because their units look cool.

11) What's your favourite unit in AoK?
    A – the king

12) What part of AoK did you enjoy designing the most?
    A – the most fun part for me was being lead designer on The Conquerors, and making up the new civs.

13) Which building looked the best in-game?
    A – I always got a kick out of the Hun wonder – that big ol’ ruin.

14) Would you consider playing some games of AoK with members of AoKH?
    A – You guys would spank me hard on my best day, I fear.

15) What is your stance regarding the e patch?
    A – I think Microsoft should gladly invest several million dollars into it. Money well spent.

16) Has your perception of the PC gaming industry changed in these last 8 years? Do you have any predictions on what the gaming industry will be like in 10 more years?
    A – I still hold to my beliefs that (a) PC gaming will eventually be completely replaced by consoles. Once console games look as good as PC and are as easy to play online, the writing’s on the wall.

17) Do you believe that RTS games will move over to consoles?
    A – let me know if you agree with me once you’v eplayed Halo Wars.

18) Regarding the fall of the MS Gaming Zone; prior to the recommendation of GameSpy Arcade, did ES consider creating an in-house multiplayer replacement for AoE/AoK?
    A- wow that is a long time ago. I think we did consider it briefly.

19) Will post-game multiplayer support continue for ESO and ESO2?
    A – I’m sure Microsoft will set something up.

20) Communities like Age of Kings Heaven, which is eight years old now, have continued to exist due to player modding and scenario design; we continue to get new players every day. What's your take on these kinds of communities?
    A – I am honored and proud that ANY of my games would ever be featured in such a community. I think it’s terrific.

21) Does it ever frustrate you, as a game designer, when players don't move on to your next title?
    A – well obviously I want all my games to sell a billion copies, but in fact I am secretly flattered when players keep playing an old game instead of dropping it when the next shiny thing comes over the horizon.

22) Looking back at the development of AoK, is there anything you wished you guys would've done differently (maybe things you weren't allowed to do by MS, or didn't have the time/funding for)?
    A – I wish we had worked harder on making deathmatch fun and fair.

23) What is the meaning of life?
    A – Mankind is that we might have joy.

24) Has ES ever considered bundling custom AoK content such as the stuff hosted here at the blacksmith in a AoK special edition?
    A – I don’t think so. In common with most game studios we only looked to the future.

25) What do you see for the future of the Age series?
    A – I’m sure Microsoft will want to keep the series going.

26) How'd you come up with the Rocket jump on Mt. Erebus?
    A – actually, John Carmack suggested it to me.

27) if it were up to you, would you rather have your fans support your old games with the vigor they've so far displayed, or move on to your newer titles?
    A – players are welcome to keep playing the old games as long as they mail me the money they would have spent on the new ones.

28) With Ensemble closing down, is there any possibility (however slim) of some or all of the source-code for your older games being released, so that the folks like us who still love and play them can continue to improve them?
    A – the source-code is owned by Microsoft Corporation. Ask them.

29) What period of history do your personally find most interesting?
    A – I probably own more books about WW2 than any other period of time. Does that mean I like it best?

30) Do you ever feel like you missed an opportunity with including/excluding certain civilisations (hence expansion packs) but couldn't include the civilisations you wanted to include/exclude?
    A – I stand by the civilization choices I made in the expansion packs, and the choices I helped influence in the main games. But I wish we could have had more civs. Sadly, the pressures of art and playtest time mean that each new civ we add was a massive load on the studio, so at some point we have to stop.

31) How have ES game testers evolved as the games have evolved? Are they more professional players now in light of cherry-picking select parts of the game playing community or do professional gamers (example Korean gamers) continue to dominate during early games?
    A) I think our professional playing team can stand up to most of the pros out there.

32) Why does the A.I. always delete partly built buildings if the builder is attacked (losing up to 649 stone for no reason) and why does the A.I. always send all its villagers to try to take down an enemy tower (which unneccesarily disrupts the economy)? In Rise of Rome the AI didn't make those mistakes!
    A – sorry. The first was an attempt to keep the AI from just sending villagers one at a time to an unfinished foundation while you picked them off. The second was an attempt to keep a nearby tower from disrupting villager production, because the AI was not able to react to a tower by simply shifting its desired woodcutting area. Both were instituted by me to try to work around the AI’s limitations.

33) Will Ensemble Studios ever tell us the secret of increasing the number of civs in the game, enabling us to add our own ones (like Bosnians, Macedons, Atlanteans, Vietnamese etc.) without having to discard (read: edit) existing ones?
    A- it was not very easy to increase the number of civs – it’s all hard-coded. There isn’t just like a number you type in somewhere that boosts the civ total.

34) Will there ever be any more updates, like patches, etc. to Age 1?
    A – it seems highly unlikely that anyone will patch an 11 year old game.

35) Future plans? A new company? Same genre?
    A – I am open to any opportunities that present themselves, in common with everyone else at ES that I’ve spoken with on the subject.

36) Did you - the team - ever consider expanding AoK even further, like a second expansion broadening into say Indian history, the Hanseatic league etc?
    A – yes, we talked about it hard and heavy. I proposed doing a renaissance-era expansion, adding stuff like musket-and-pike and some African empires.

37) Looking at the in game campaigns, AoE3 covers very little of European history while the earlier games covered bigger parts of the world. Still there were many big conflicts in Europe during the time period, like the 30 years war, Great Northern War, War of the Spanish Succesion etc. Were there ever any plans on portraying Europe in the game as well?
    A – while lots of cool stuff happened in Europe, it seemed not to fit the basic theme of Age 3. It makes no sense for you to start with a few villagers and a town center in, say Germany. And then we’d have to leave out stuff like the natives and (probably) the trading posts and it’s not clear what we’d add to replace them.

38) How come the editor, amongst other things, is built up entirely differently in AoE3 compared to AoK?
    A – 3d =/= 2d

39) Just wanted to let you know how much we appreciated being able to interact with the game developers in a meaningful(and of course often not-so-meaningful) way.
    A – well thank you sir.

40) And for a question - what in particular have you been working on for ES lately?
    A – I, with everyone else still at ES, are on Halo Wars.

41) Was this the "grand plan" for the age of empires serious?
    A – yep. Not saying we might not have changed the plan years down the line, of course.

42) Why do bird units in the age games explode upon death?
    A – because it amused us.

43) Have you ever designed a scenario?
    A – With reference to the Age series: Yes, in the sense that I planned them out, laid out sketch maps, figured victory conditions etc. No, in the sense that I did not actually construct them first to last using the scenario editor.

44) What's going to happen to Age of Mythology on DS?
    A – dunno. That was a totally separate deal from ES and I assume that Microsoft Corporation has the same motivation as before to pursue it.

45) will there be any ES-style RTS in the future?
    A – I imagine the new company will still do ES type RTS work. Plus as the rest of ES’s employees get seeded around the game industry we may influence how other companies do things.
    posted 09-19-08 06:22 PM CT (US)     24 / 236  
    42) Why do bird units in the age games explode upon death?
    A – because it amused us.
    Brilliant.
    posted 09-19-08 06:38 PM CT (US)     25 / 236  
    Why does the AoE 1.0c patch make savegames crash when missles are onscreen?

"Mrcheeze your genius but not quite a Gumble-kind-of genius." - Gumble
    "We're all friendly here except MrCheeze but he means well" - Ninetales (Not exact words)
    "Gumble has no words for you, you’re boring now. -underrated- that’s a joke, Gumble is OVERSTATED." - Gumble
    (Not even sure what he was saying there)
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Ask Sandy
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames