You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: UUs vs their counterparts, the truth on how useful those UUs really are (tests inside)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06-19-01 10:52 PM CT (US)   
UUs vs standard units for each civ

Some of you say that a standard unit of a civ is better than a UU because they don't make out of a castle, are faster to make, dress nicer, have better names, and blah blah blah. Well here's a test to see which unit is superior to the civs, the standard or the Unique. All these tests are 1 vs 1 by the way, all UUs are Elite, and everyone's in Post Imp for the civ. And I tested and retested I don't know how many times (too many if you ask me) to make sure that these results are set in stone.

If the test says above that it is TC info, then it has the TC changes in it to affect the outcome of the results. But if it doesn't have TC above the test, then it also matches up to just AOKs as well.

British LBM vs British Arb
Test 1
LBM wins with 10 out of 40 HP left (LBM attacking first)
Test 2
LBM wins with 5 HP out of 40 HP left (Arb attacking first)
Test result: LBM are worth building over Arbs anyday of the week. Laugh next time you see a british player that has a castle and is pumping off arbs to attack your base.

Byzantines Cataphract vs Byzantine Paladin
Test 1
Paladin wins with 25 HP out of 160 HP left (Paladin attacking first)
Test 2
Paladin wins with 16 HP out of 160 HP left (cataphract attacking first)

Byzantines Cataphract vs FU normal Cavalier (as in it gets all the cavalry techs)
Test 1
Cavalier wins with 5 HP out of 140 HP left (Cataphract attacking first)
Test 2
Cavalier wins with 14 HP out of 140 HP left (Cavalier attacking first)

Test result: Many people thought the Byzantines Paladins are much more superior than the Cataphract. As you can see the Cataphract is quite a useful unit and is worth building (as in not weak to halberders, trample damage, ect) over their paladin if you want. Just remember that they have a lower PA than the paladin, but have no infantry or cavalry weakness other than the paladin. And Cataphracts are about equal to a FU hunish Cavalier, which shows that they don't "suck" and are not weak to cavalry like so many say. That's just some food for thought there.

Celtic Woadraider vs Celtic Champion
Test 1
Woad Raider wins with 10 HP out of 80 HP left (Woad Raider attacking first)
Test 2
Champ wins with 5 HP out of 70 HP left (champ attacking first)
Test results: Many may say after reading this "well their champs are still superior since they come out of a barracks!" Just remember that a woad raider trains in 7 seconds after Conscription, that beats a champs production time a lot. So if you want a perfect town raiding unit, the Woad raider is far superior than their champ (Woadys can take more missle damage with their extra HP, are way faster, ect)

This test is TC info
Chinese Chu Ko Nu vs Chinese Arb
Test 1
Chu Ko Nu wins with 2 HP out of 50 HP left (arb attacking first)
Test 2
Chu Ko Nu wins with 14 HP out of 50 HP left (Chu Ko Nu attacking first)
Test results: This one's for you to decide on if you want to use Chu Ko Nus or not. Chu Ko Nus are much better in mass and can smash buildings quite well too.

Gothic Huskarl vs Gothic Champ
Test 1
Champ wins with 18 HP out of 70 HP left (champ attacking first)
Test 2
Champ wins with 5 HP out of 70 HP left (huskarl attacking first)
Test results: Yep it's true, the huskie just don't work against infantry. Leave 'em to archers and they'll be ok, but hand to hand battles you're bound to lose with huskies resource wise. Oh and in the edit I left the normal champ test on japanese by mistake, no wonder the poor husky did so bad .

This test is TC info (since Huns isn't even in AOK)
Hunish Tarken vs Hunish Cavalier
Test 1
Cavalier wins with 20 HP out of 140 HP left (cavalier attacking first)
Test 2
Cavalire wins with 10 HP out of 140 HP left (Tarken attacking first)
Test results: The Cavalier is a little bit more superior, but considering that the Tarken is 15 gold cheaper than a cavalier and has a building bonus they're worth your effort in using them with their paladins or cavaliers. Laugh at all that raid your town with nothing but hunish paladins since they're not even using their anti building unit to rip your town apart 70% faster. (take that all that think tarkens suck)

Japanese Samurai vs Japanese Champ
Test 1
Sammy wins win 15 HP out of 80 HP left (champ attacking first)
Test 2
Sammy wins with 28 HP out of 80 HP left (sammy attacking first)
Test results: Hands down the Sammy can smash their own champs, and can just murder other civs champs as well (tested it). They're worth the 10 extra gold to build over champs any day, no argument after what I've seen them able to pull tonight. (I did other tests with them and they're a lot better than their champs and just murder civs UUs)

This test is TC info
Mongols Mangudai vs Mongol HCA
Test 1
Mangudai wins with 17 HP out of 80 HP left (HCA attacking first)
Test 2
Mangudai wins with 10 HP out of 80 HP left (Mangudai attacking first)
Test results: Duh, no thought here. Plop a castle or to and pump manguadi out like they're going out of style. Just ignore their HCAs since they cost more, don't have a seige bonus, and are inferior to the mongols manguadi in almost every way except for the fact that they come out of an archery range.

This test is TC info
Saracens Mameluke vs Saracen Heavy Camel
Test 1
Camel wins with 71 HP out of 170 HP left (camel attacking first)
Test 2
Camel wins with 60 HP out of 170 HP left (Mameluke attacking first) Mamelukes have a slllooow attack rate
Test results: Uh...Use Mamelukes in large packs, otherwise you're not going to be happy with your results. Heavy camels attack almost 3 times faster than the mameluke, yikes!

Duh, TC info
Spanish
There isn't a test for this. I just wanted to remind you that the Missonary has less range and may be faster, but is considered a cavalry unit (as in is very weak to halberders and camels), and can't pick up relics. did a lil test and Missonarys get shreaded in 2 wacks by most anti cavalry units, ugh.

This test is TC info
Turkish Jannisary vs Turkish HC
Test 1
Jannisary wins with 11 HP out of 50 hp left (HC attacking first)
Test 2
Jannisary wins with 24 HP out of 50 left (Jannisary attacking first)
And yes I made sure that every shot hit
Test results: Well um... Hard to say but Jannys are better against other units, but this one's your choice since jannys lack the infantry bonus that HCs have.

Vikings Bezerker vs Champion
Test 1
Bezerker wins with 6 HP left (before healing begins after champs death and Champ attacking first)
Test 2
Bezerker wins with 17 HP left (Bezerker attacking first)
Test results: 4 word, build bezerkers over champs. They heal like crazy (about 1 HP every second with their UT) with their UT but seem to be weaker than their champs against archer fire *shrugs*. They train quite fast too...

Overall test results: As you can see, many people thare are saying that a civs UU is inferior to a civs standard unit is on something that should be outlawed or is outlawed in most countries. UUs are not weak to their standard units, and are worth their extra cost no matter what people say since they have their own place where they really shine where a standard unit just does soso. Uniques may come from a castle, but next time think twice about just throwing standard units around at the enemy town since their civs UUs can be far superior as tested (such as the japanses and the Celts for example).

I excluded the Aztecs, Franks, Koreans, Persians, and Spanish since their UUs are special (as in they have no standard unit to take its place) and it would be awkward to test something like a jag warrior against a champ since a jag warrior has an infantry bonus for example. Just something to think about next time you plop in your TC disk.

I may do another test using the UUs and standard units castle age counterparts if this goes over well, but if you just let it die with 1 or 2 posts, or with a ton of moronic posts (like "why use sammys when you can use champs?") then I'll say screw it and play a game of TC instead. And if you had enough patients to read all of this (including this stuff) and consider the info instead of skimming through, then I must shake your hand since your kind is rare around these forums.

[This message has been edited by Sir Marf of Ans (edited 06-19-2001 @ 11:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-19-01 11:04 PM CT (US)     1 / 41  
Guten posten

Ztolk
Stronghold Heaven Cherub
posted 06-19-01 11:10 PM CT (US)     2 / 41  
Very nice testing. EMangudai are almost uncounterable when in critical mass. Since they have a fast fire rate, with 100% accuracy.

But they that wait upon the Lord, shall mount up with wings as Eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 no jesus, no peace, KNOW JESUS, KNOW PEACE
Zone = Tonto_Isbla
Heat.net = Isbla
posted 06-19-01 11:20 PM CT (US)     3 / 41  
I thought a chu ko nu would lose to an arb!
And i do think jannys get an infantry bonus, plus they have no minimum range, and better attack than an hc.

Member of Da Mighty Warriors Clan: DMWC_cortez
zone name: DMWC_cortez0
we are the naval leaders!
Our cannon galleons will lay the smackdown on on your.......
posted 06-19-01 11:32 PM CT (US)     4 / 41  
Their infantry bonus was stripped of them in TC, but they have an attack of 22 when elite. This reminds me that I should state that this is TC info... *smacks Rashers head for marfs mistake*. Sorry 'bout that cortez, I've changed it to show which info is specifically TC only info, while the rest also applies to the origional AOK as well....

[This message has been edited by Sir Marf of Ans (edited 06-19-2001 @ 11:36 PM).]

posted 06-20-01 00:07 AM CT (US)     5 / 41  
I think this was a little biased. Good post, but you should've done more tests and gotten the average.

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.
posted 06-20-01 00:15 AM CT (US)     6 / 41  
Quote:
And I tested and retested I don't know how many times (too many if you ask me) to make sure that these results are set in stone.

Did the tests 5 times or so (gothic one with other civs champs as well which took forever). I didn't feel like writting out all of them since I got the same results every time depending on who wacked who first, so I just wrote down those 2 since the results never change expect in the archer ones (no one ever misses a sword swing so the results don't change like the archer ones on the slite arrow missing or something) The archer ones are a lot harder to do though, except the mangudai did murder the HCA in almost every aspect every time but other than that....

[This message has been edited by Sir Marf of Ans (edited 06-20-2001 @ 00:17 AM).]

posted 06-20-01 04:04 AM CT (US)     7 / 41  
Regarding the mamelukes vs camels.

Mamelukes may attack slower, but their range attack is a huge bonus! I've seen mamelukes shred halberdiers before they even close the gap! Problem with the camels is that they have to be next to the enemy to attack.

So yes, a FU Saracen camel will definitely beat a FU mameluke (and Saracen camels are almost useful to use for other things besides anti-infantry), but mamelukes when grouped together can hold their ground better.

posted 06-20-01 11:32 AM CT (US)     8 / 41  
Plus Cats can defeat FU Sar Mamelukes(if he doesn't ru naway) and camels.....
MUAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHA I LOVE THOSE CATS

Molon Lave
posted 06-20-01 12:46 PM CT (US)     9 / 41  
Great post Marf, I've always enjoyed ripping people up with sammies or woadies. People just don't seem to realize how powerful their UU is. Why don't you do a test with the Korean WW vs. heavy cav archer? And you forgot about the Longboat and the Turtle Ship.

Alle menn har frykter, men det modige anbringer ned deres frykter.

posted 06-20-01 02:01 PM CT (US)     10 / 41  
what about Conquistador?

-CrazyMrLeo
all things considered, life is pretty great
posted 06-20-01 02:05 PM CT (US)     11 / 41  
Quoted from Sir Marf of Ans:

This test is TC info
Chinese Chu Ko Nu vs Chinese Arb
Test 1
Chu Ko Nu wins with 2 HP out of 50 HP left (arb attacking first)
Test 2
Chu Ko Nu wins with 14 HP out of 50 HP left (Chu Ko Nu attacking first)
Test results : This one's for you to decide on if you want to use Chu Ko Nus or not. Chu Ko Nus are much better in mass and can smash buildings quite well too.

Chokonu does much beter vs other units than abalest especially when in pack. A post-imperial Chokonu deal an avarage of 10 points to FU caverlear while abalest only deal 4 points.

posted 06-20-01 02:26 PM CT (US)     12 / 41  
A group of FU cats vs a group of FU Saracen camels or Mamelukes will fall pretty fast! Cats are considered cavalry. Possibly 1v1 against a mam cuz of it's slow attack rate. But honestly, when during games do you ever see a 1v1 situation?
posted 06-20-01 02:41 PM CT (US)     13 / 41  
Quote:
Why don't you do a test with the Korean WW vs. heavy cav archer?

Wanna know their power?
A FU Elite Warwagon vs 3 FU Korean HCAs
Test 1
Warwagon wins with 47 HP out of 200 Left
Test 2
Warwagon wins with 47 HP out of 200 Left

FU Elite Warwagon vs 4 FU korean HCAs
Test 1
Cavalry archers win with 2 left, one at 1/2 HP out of 80 HP
Test 2
Cavalry archers win with 2 left, one at 1/2 HP out of 80 HP

And now something to think about
FU Elite Warwagon vs 4 FU HCAs missing thumbring and parthian tactics
Test 1
HCA wins with 1 left at full HP
Test 2
HCA wins with 1 left at full HP
Just some food for thought...

posted 06-20-01 02:42 PM CT (US)     14 / 41  
MrSparkle-

I suggest you run a test of Saracen camel or mamies against cataphracts. The results will surprise you. The cats eat them up. What you are overlooking is "special" armor bonus that cats get. In effect, the mamies and camels have virtually no bonus against the cats.

Think!
posted 06-20-01 02:48 PM CT (US)     15 / 41  
Attack bonuses against Cataphracts
Halberder +20
Pikeman+ 10
Spearman +3
Heavy Camel +6
Camel +0
EMam +0
Mam +0

Against Elite Cataphract
Halberder +16
Pikeman +6
Spearmen +0
Heavy Camel +2
Camel +0
EMam +0
Mam +0

This is an ooollld test I did a while back. Mams have zilch against cataphracts in TC.

posted 06-20-01 04:05 PM CT (US)     16 / 41  
I dont understand what trample damage is. PLEASE help!!!!

Do a test: FU Jaguar Warriors vs. Dark Age militia

"Look on my works ye mighty, and despair" Inscription on the statue of Ozymandias
"Ireland is one country. Any other concepcion ignores the facts of history and geography" An Taoiseach Seán Lemass
"Tiocfaidh ár lá!!"
posted 06-20-01 05:42 PM CT (US)     17 / 41  
If you're being sarcastic about the trample damage thing then . If not, it makes a cataphract do 5 damage to what-ever is around the cataphract regardless of armor (like the elephant)
posted 06-20-01 06:45 PM CT (US)     18 / 41  
UUs rules!!!! Ilove UUs,esp since I like to forward castle and the catle makes a great building base, as many of the units (Berserks, Wooadies, etc, build quite fast), also, I love modifying the 100 champs in 40 min build to 100 EZerks in 40 min, EZerks rule .

NOTE: The only way to get 100 champs or zerks in 40 minutes is if your left alone, so if you get attacked before then your build is screwed. Although i did it on Nomad once even though i build 5-6 gallys, but i was never attacked.

[This message has been edited by petard_rusher (edited 06-20-2001 @ 06:48 PM).]

posted 06-20-01 07:23 PM CT (US)     19 / 41  
HA! I knew woadies were equal to champs! I wonder why everyone thought that woadies were weaker...Even Sandyman thought that Champs were better "because of their superior armor". Ha...hahaha.

You can take our lives...but you can never take- OUR FREEDOM-William Wallace (brave heart)
posted 06-20-01 07:28 PM CT (US)     20 / 41  
beats me Sir William Wallace, same thing with the sammys. People just assume that if they have 1 less attack than a champ and cost 10 gold more that they suck (without realising they have a faster attack rate than champs). Woad Raiders rock! I hardly use my celtic champs except for defence, since they just don't take a beating like a woady can. And if you have the guts to go into battle wearing your PJs, a wooden shield, and no shirt you've gotta be tougher than some fancy sword weilding champ .
posted 06-20-01 07:39 PM CT (US)     21 / 41  
Putzer yes they do. I've tested this both in game and out. A force of mamelukes will shred a force of cats. Mamelukes do get a bonus vs. them. Cats are a special cavalry unit with trample and a bonus vs. infantry. It's camels that don't get shredded as easily. Cats don't have any special attributes that keeps them immune.

Think about THIS: if halberdiers keep their bonus vs. cats, then why would mamelukes lose theirs? Sure cats also have bonus vs. halbs but that's besides the point.

posted 06-20-01 08:44 PM CT (US)     22 / 41  
I don't get why people think Woad Raiders are weaker than champs. I rushed some guy with woadies and he lost, and btw, that person used champs against the woadies.

Woadies are quick to train, are fast on foot, and are even faster with the beta patch. I'd say I'd use woadies any day.

Back from a long break, it's Magus!
posted 06-21-01 03:57 PM CT (US)     23 / 41  
You know you're cr~p at AOK when you're totally serious and someone asks if you're being sarcastic :P

Dont forget that a woadie cost 50% gold more than a champion. You'ld want a 3:2 kill/die ratio with them, otherwise they're inefficient.

"Look on my works ye mighty, and despair" Inscription on the statue of Ozymandias
"Ireland is one country. Any other concepcion ignores the facts of history and geography" An Taoiseach Seán Lemass
"Tiocfaidh ár lá!!"
posted 06-21-01 04:12 PM CT (US)     24 / 41  
Bah! I tested that cat vs. mameluke argument again and it seems I am wrong. For some reason mams DONT get a bonus vs cats, even though halberdiers do!

I guess the fact that my mamelukes burned through my opponent's cats way back when is from sheer numbers.

Why on earth do halberdiers get a bonus vs them and mamelukes dont? Cataphracts are a mounted unit right? Shouldn't they get their bonus to the same units that halberdiers do?

posted 06-21-01 04:55 PM CT (US)     25 / 41  
I guess Cataphracts just got use to camels. You know since their civ has 25% cheaper ones running all over the place they smell those awful camels 24 hours a day in a byz town .
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » UUs vs their counterparts, the truth on how useful those UUs really are (tests inside)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames