You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Renaming many hidden units = a crash risk while saving game?
posted 05-19-02 01:17 PM CT (US)   
Hi folks,

I've been making a weird observation. I noticed that some of my scenarios started crashing if I tried to save my game at some moments. I usually blamed it on too many looping triggers, but now I have a new suspect:

I renamed some "unofficial" wall pieces because the names looked odd (TWAL or Sea Gate). If a castle is surrounded by those wall pieces, this is a lot of stuff to rename.

THE CASE:
40 seconds into the game, the renaming process starts. Three triggers (20 effects each) do this, one after the other. This works fine.
Many minutes later, I save my game. This also works fine.
Even later, I try to save my game again in a certain situation. *bzzzzz...* AoK quits, and I'm back to the Windows desktop.
I try to remove all sorts of triggers which have to do with that situation. The problem is still there. Then I remember that saving my game in this situation always worked fine until I included those renaming triggers.

THE SOLUTION (as it seems):
I removed the triggers which renamed those wall pieces, the crash problem seemed to disappear. The weird thing is: The crashes did not occur at the moment those triggers fired. No, the crashes appeared at a much later scene, when the renaming process was long over... and only when I tried to save my game.

Did anybody else have this problem? Am I right about this observation? I noticed it in two scenarios by now.

Ingo

Replies:
posted 05-19-02 01:31 PM CT (US)     1 / 19  
The Underworld, by Bearded_Dragon, has changing names of Church 4. Contact him to find out how to change names without crashing the game.
His email: the_dragoon@hotmail.com

__ HIGH EMPEROR __
^v^v^v^............ ..AKA The Teddinator .. ............... ..Who needs a sig anyway?.. ............^v^v^v^
All they have is hilariously funny quotes and cheesy jokes... Oh well!
Communications
Email me at tedpatrol@aol.com [||] Or ze_teddin8r@hotmail.com[||] AOL Screen Name: tedpatrol

"Americans have different ways of saying things. They say "elevator", we say "lift" ... they say "President", we say "stupid psychopathic git." -Alexai Sayle
posted 05-19-02 01:44 PM CT (US)     2 / 19  
I have no problems as long as I rename only a couple of units (say, 8-12 sea towers.) But if I rename a real lot of items (e.g. 60-100 wall pieces), this seems to give the game a kind of "overload"... as if the scenario was carrying too much information around with it.

Under normal circumstances, a buggy trigger crashes your game immediately - while you play it. This case is so weird because it doesn't do that... it rather seems to work like a fuse, and the explosion only goes off later on, and only if I press the Save button.

Ingo

P.S.: Bearded Dragon's Underworld scenario crashes for many people (me too).

posted 05-19-02 02:47 PM CT (US)     3 / 19  
Haven't seen that before, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Remember that a saved game is not a snapshot of a map at a certain point in time, but is rather the current state of the game. In order to restore the exact state of the game, my guess is that when it saves, it has to take the starting map, and apply the changes that have happened since the game started. This would seem (to me) to include all the object-renaming, but condensed into 1 instant, which is a horrifying thought as we all know the dangers of renaming too much in a single trigger.

This raises something else that I am now curious about - if you recorded it and then tried to save the recorded game after the renaming, would it also crash ?

Either way, your observations seem likely, but I don't know how anyone outside of ES can give a definitive answer. The best we could do is get empirical evidence and formulate a theory that best fits the observations :/

Phoenix_ER - proud member of the Phoenix Clan
posted 05-19-02 03:57 PM CT (US)     4 / 19  
I encountered the same problem with a scenario of mine.

I was renaming about 65 TWALL for a dam I had them split into 5 triggers to go off about 35 seconds into the game, the 35 seconds comes and nothing happens.

A while later I was testing and about 1/3 through the game I tried to save and It crashed. I tried for many days trying to find the bug.

About a week or two later I decided I didn't like the way the TWALL's looked so I took them out. Later that day when I tested It worked perfectly.

In conclusion I believe your hypothisis is correct, Nice Work!

DW

posted 05-19-02 04:40 PM CT (US)     5 / 19  
I've checked it out as well. It didn't crash when I tested it out, neither when I tried to save it, but I suppose I will soon run into it as well.

This is bad... I got me a whole bunch of hidden units. So whaddawedo now, Ingo? Leave the old names? The perfectionist in me does not allow that. Idea's, anyone?

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 05-19-02 05:03 PM CT (US)     6 / 19  
mmm, perfectionism... now thats a word people are so obsessed with but will never achieve..

Im not saying taking u're time is wrong.. I just do what I can to the best of my ability. Renaming triggers for units such as these don't bother me too much but maybe others, I don't know.

posted 05-19-02 05:54 PM CT (US)     7 / 19  
I do not agree, that the computer crashes because of renaming hidden units. The crash is caused by too many of these units, but I ignore how many it supports. I played a scenario with a renamed OMTBO without any problem, but if you remember my review of the Swallowed Realm Ch. III. A scenario which is not overloaded, which has not many elevations but...

Quote my review:

"I was kicked out of the game far to often, which happened after being killed, going directly to load saved game,..."

"For my taste there were too many “OMTBO” shipwrecks"

Around Palador are 48 OMTBO, which were NOT renamed.

posted 05-19-02 06:47 PM CT (US)     8 / 19  
I rename a lot too. Most of the time i change palisade walls to Fence or other names.

I also had the problem you have/had if you make more then 60 renames in 1 trigger it will crash (well I don't know or it will crash at your place but here it does). I make 4 or 5 big rename triggers for walls and palisade walls.

That could be sollution but ....

Download the Trigger Trick guide v2.0 ID 344
Creator of the Return of the Mummy series id 715 :: Zelda sneak preview ::
Newest project: The World of Zelda
posted 05-19-02 07:40 PM CT (US)     9 / 19  

Quoted from Tanneur99:

I do not agree, that the computer crashes because of renaming hidden units. The crash is caused by too many of these units.

It's very well possible that it's enough to have too many of those units. But renaming them appears to make it worse. My problems did not turn up when I used those hidden units. Trouble began when I started massively renaming them - and it got better after I removed those three renaming triggers, thus giving the comp about 60 fewer renamed sea gate posts.

Ingo

posted 05-19-02 08:32 PM CT (US)     10 / 19  
Probably both, the number of units and renaming cause the problem. Did you try less renamed units? 30 (three triggers 10 effects each) instead of 60 renamed units.
posted 05-20-02 06:47 PM CT (US)     11 / 19  
This might take a while, but also might you try to reneame the same number of units, but make them not "beta units" if the game still crashes, you could try streching it between more trigs, or other things. There are a lot of renamed "betas" in people's scnearios, but they only crash when I save...HEY! Hmm. I remember. Ingo, exactly when does it crash? after the save? when you click "save"?when you click the menu? I'm curious, because in the case of the Underworld II, I crashed when i tried to load a game. this was simply because of my slow computer.

Any way, this may be important...

-crasher

posted 05-21-02 01:52 AM CT (US)     12 / 19  
crasher: It happens at the last step: I press "save game", enter a name, and then click "OK". At that last click of the "OK" button, the game crashes - so it's at the moment when the saving process really begins.

Interesting discussion, guys - I'm surprised to see how many other people had this problem, too. I do not think we'll get a satisfying answer from ES on this; they'd probably just say "What do you expect if you use unfinished and incomplete code that was taken out of the official game, and that was not supposed to be used?" And I guess they'd have a point there. Hidden units are fun when we find them and use them, but I guess we can't expect them to work as well as the units from the finished product.

Ingo

[This message has been edited by Ingo van Thiel (edited 05-21-2002 @ 01:53 AM).]

posted 05-21-02 01:43 PM CT (US)     13 / 19  
* Nods *

And the discussion rolls on... We should use a trial-and-error-basis, I think. One unit-rename doesn't hurt, two doesn't hurt, three... Well, you get the point.

Volunteers?

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 05-21-02 06:59 PM CT (US)     14 / 19  
@ Ingo van Thiel

Uups, I take my comment back. The game crashed later with too many hidden units. Lost, back to saved game, crash, load AoK, to saved game, play.
Strange was, most saved games crashed the comp., but some did not.

posted 05-21-02 11:11 PM CT (US)     15 / 19  
Is'nt it possible to rename many units with just one change object trigger by dragging a selection area.(i'm not quite sure whether it works for walls though)

Did you by any chance change the ownership of the walls(that too might cause the game to crash)

Tsunami's most notorious designer

[This message has been edited by Cknchaos (edited 05-21-2002 @ 11:14 PM).]

posted 05-22-02 11:42 AM CT (US)     16 / 19  
There's no area-effect with RU.

And I'm not sure about those walls...

OD · AoKH
posted 05-22-02 12:27 PM CT (US)     17 / 19  
Luke: It is possible to rename a group of units by drawing a box around them, rather than selecting only one of them. But this only works if at least one unit in that group has just been newly put onto the map. And it only works for units, not for buildings.

Quoted from Cknchaos:

Did you by any chance change the ownership of the walls(that too might cause the game to crash)

I changed the ownership of a gate twice, but that is pretty much all ownership changes for lost units in that scenario. So far, I had no more crashes after removing those three renaming triggers - but I didn't test the latest version very often yet (only 4-5 times).

Ingo

[This message has been edited by Ingo van Thiel (edited 05-22-2002 @ 12:28 PM).]

posted 05-22-02 09:48 PM CT (US)     18 / 19  
Why don't you try renaming ordinary palisades and stone walls to see if the same poblem reoccurs.(then we'll know whether the problem is with the twall or renaming triggers)

Tsunami's most notorious designer
posted 05-23-02 06:09 AM CT (US)     19 / 19  
@ Ingo

Auf der Web-Seite von Reyk habe ich unter "Bugs" folgendes gefunde.

"Bei "Objektnamen ändern" von Gaia-Objekten mit der Bedingung "Objekt sichtbar" kommt es zum Absturz des Test-Spieles."

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Renaming many hidden units = a crash risk while saving game?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames