You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Anyone know how to make a group of units march together?
posted 02-03-03 06:35 PM CT (US)   
And by march I mean, in a nice, clean, and professional looking style. I have tried to get units to march this way, and they always manage to bump into each other and get out of order, anyone know how to solve this?
Replies:
posted 02-03-03 06:37 PM CT (US)     1 / 13  
Patrolling the units makes them move in a formation. Use the Patrol Units effect, and select them all doing the trick in your last post.

Quote:

Place a unit of the player you want to task (the player w/ more than 1 unit), and delete that unit. Then go to task objects and select all of those units. Then place location.

I.E. Place a player 1 unit on the map and delete that unit. Then go to a group of units you want to select and you should be able to select them.

Use a Stop Units effect to stop them from patrolling.

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 02-03-2003 @ 06:39 PM).]

posted 02-03-03 06:43 PM CT (US)     2 / 13  
Aro, you are my hero, lol. Thank you so much, I overlooked that completely, finally can get those Elves to march. Thanks man ;D
posted 02-03-03 06:55 PM CT (US)     3 / 13  
It is funny how the old solution of selecting unit groups survives.

Many of us have used; deleting one unit and selecting unit groups again, as a way to solve not being able to set the trigger to more than one...and it does work.

Only the reason why you cannot select the group again is because you don't have the 'Units' selector menu set to the specific player.

If you are trying to select a whole group of units and the white square only selects one...set the Units menu to the position you are trying to select and try again.

Deleting and setting the unit again works, because it forces you to select the specific player in the Units menu.

Revolutionary?

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 02-03-2003 @ 06:57 PM).]

posted 02-03-03 07:03 PM CT (US)     4 / 13  

Quote:

If you are trying to select a whole group of units and the white square only selects one...set the Units menu to the position you are trying to select and try again.

Very interesting. Are you saying it will work? Well, does not hurt to test.

posted 02-04-03 02:35 AM CT (US)     5 / 13  
Yes, it is an old discovery (not mine)...and every now and then it comes up...I too used to delete and replace the units...as long as it works right?

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 02-04-03 12:03 PM CT (US)     6 / 13  
True. I should test it out. I did not know of that method. It could maybe save me a lot of work if I started using it.
posted 02-04-03 04:30 PM CT (US)     7 / 13  
Alright, I tested the Patrol thing and the Stupid Elves kept running into each other and doing retarded stuff so I'm done with that.

However, AnastasiaKafka, would you mind explaining a little bit more in detail on how to select multiple units like you're saying? Thanks

posted 02-04-03 04:33 PM CT (US)     8 / 13  
Also, Aro, I tried deleting one unit and then selecting the group, but for some reason, it would select, but then none of the guys would move when I asked them to patrol or task. Am I doing this wrong or something, please help.
posted 02-04-03 04:34 PM CT (US)     9 / 13  
It's a very old trick.

Go to the "Units" tab, then select the player the units belong to. Then, go back to the trigger editor, and select any effect that states, "Select Objects". Now, you can drag a box around the units belonging to the units belonging to the player you selected. But, remember, the maximum amount of units selected is forty.

posted 02-04-03 08:09 PM CT (US)     10 / 13  
I've been gathering research on this, over at DGDN. You should visit there more often!

Sadly, though, I found out that simply adding a "stop object" effect dosen't stop your units from patrolling, they just pause for a sec, and then they go back to patrolling. The only cure, we have found (Ingo found ) is to change ownership to a different player. This may solve your problem, Allbrex, so I'd give it another try if I were you.

And yes, it can be hard to select all the units at once, but remember, if you click "go to units" and it dosen't go to them, or only goes to one, you need to re-set it by following the afore posted instructions again.

-crasher

posted 02-04-03 08:14 PM CT (US)     11 / 13  

Quote:

The only cure, we have found (Ingo found ) is to change ownership to a different player. This may solve your problem, Allbrex, so I'd give it another try if I were you.

You can also patrol the units again, and not set a target location. This stops the units, just as changing the ownership of the units does, but it also allows the unit to benefit from researched upgrades (range, attack, etc.).

[This message has been edited by Darkmaster (edited 02-04-2003 @ 08:22 PM).]

posted 02-04-03 08:46 PM CT (US)     12 / 13  
Whoa, DM, that brings up another question I've been wondering a lot... Can you upgrade a unit that is converted to your side? Most rpg's start with a black screen, you know, but then I can't manage to research armor or speed ect!!! What cures this? Does patrol? or does patrol not keep them upgradeable if they were already other player to start with...?
posted 02-04-03 09:11 PM CT (US)     13 / 13  
When you convert a unit, either by using a monk or the "Change Ownership" effect, its status remains the same (unless you convert another monk, then have it pick up a relic). There is no fix for that, sadly.

The same thing happens when you edit HP, attack, and name. This is pretty crappy.

The method I mentioned about stopping patrolled units is good for units that were not converted, or had their stats/name changed. This mostly applies to non-human (not controlled by a human player) armies, of which most people tend not to change the stats/name.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Anyone know how to make a group of units march together?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames