Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Porex Touch: Renaming Hidden Units
posted 03-16-03 12:03 PM CT (US)   
A rather interesting use of good old POREX, the substance that looks like gold but makes villagers go invisible once gathered.

First you must get a villager and the POREX on the same square or right next to each other.

You do this by putting the villie in a transport then deleting the transport and covering the spot with dirt then placing POREX in that exact same position the transport was in. Or you can simply map copy them together.

Next you map copy both the POREX and the villager inside a building or structure. Remember to rename the villager if you wish too, after you map copy it inside “this can be tricky but is doable.”

It can be a castle, a gate or barracks anything you can get the POREX and villie both in together. Normally if you ran the scenario you would get a line around the unit because it is inside the artwork of the other structure.

But this method allows the villie to collect the POREX right on top of it. The villager will vanish and no line will appear around it.

This trick can be used in conjunction with Ingos method to see inside a building(the one he used in Ulio). Remove the building around the villager then task the villie to do another task temporarily or use a stop trigger to make it become visible again.

You will have a villager that just appeared inside a building renamed!

I have done some experiments and it works, I made a small pic to show you what I am talking about;it is hard to show in its entirety however. When I start the scenario the villager will be invisible inside that pillar of the gate.

Remember to freeze the villie after it gathers the POREX or it will escape on you.
http://www.geocities.com/jinlerx/Insdie.html?1047830408684

This would also allow a unit to fire at an allied gate hitting the POREX villie or if you want a crushed body to apear from under a rock why not?

Imagine a villager apearing on top of a mountain or tower renamed then fireing at another unit. In actuel fact a Gaia animal; many possibilities when using POREX.

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 03-16-2003 @ 12:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-16-03 12:10 PM CT (US)     1 / 13  
So, it can be used to display dialogues, etc. inside buildings.

Interesting trick, but too bad that only villagers can be used, without ruining the illusion.

posted 03-16-03 05:06 PM CT (US)     2 / 13  
Yes, I found a use for it in the hero takes off armour then strolls into his house to be attacked or something along that lines.

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 03-16-2003 @ 08:23 PM).]

posted 03-16-03 05:27 PM CT (US)     3 / 13  
wow...
ummm...

*runs away from the random and lucky genius that is PD*

that's probably the best way to incorporate this trick, the hero being attacked by assassins in his 'safe' and 'secure' home/residence

Bah.
posted 03-16-03 06:04 PM CT (US)     4 / 13  
WOW! Thats somethin'!
...When I grow up I want to be Philip Dunscombe, mommy...
lol

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 03-16-03 06:10 PM CT (US)     5 / 13  
w-------------------o------------------w

Amazing as always, Phil

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
posted 03-16-03 09:02 PM CT (US)     6 / 13  
Man, i wish i knew how the heck he finds all these tricks...

Exellent job, Phil!

***Daveguy_700***
The Sword of Archon | Post your best jokes here! | Daveguy_700@hotmail.com | Proud member of the PW clan!
"If you choose a job you like, you do not have to work a day in your life" -umm...some...guy....
"Not all who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

STUFF
posted 03-17-03 00:57 AM CT (US)     7 / 13  
Hey Philip...

...nice find!

Is the unit actually inside the building or just under/behind it?

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 03-17-03 01:52 AM CT (US)     8 / 13  

Quote:

Man, i wish i knew how the heck he finds all these tricks...

Too much time on his hands.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 03-17-03 08:27 AM CT (US)     9 / 13  
The unit will actuely be inside the building when map copied right. I was able to see that using the gate then tested it on some other objects as well.

Thank you for the comments.

Quote:

To much time on his hands.

Ya right

posted 03-17-03 10:02 AM CT (US)     10 / 13  
We now have a solution for villagers! Now we need to find a way to rename other units not yet created. Phillip?

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 03-17-03 12:09 PM CT (US)     11 / 13  

Quote:

Now we need to find a way to rename other units not yet created.

I would be impressed (and pay ) if that 'trick' was ever discovered.

Angel Aro
Age of Kings Heaven Angel | Empires Heaven Angel
Events:
posted 03-17-03 01:37 PM CT (US)     12 / 13  
simple

just hack into the code and add a trigger and a few other things

Bah.
posted 03-17-03 07:50 PM CT (US)     13 / 13  
I'll give it a try with the map copy, because I am hoping to have the unit 'appear' as available for un-garrisoning from a building.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Porex Touch: Renaming Hidden Units
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames