Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Darkness???
posted 03-21-03 06:50 PM CT (US)   
For my new multiplayer, I need the night effect. Have any suggestions? I know Ingo knows what to do. Help. Aok only.

(I know that Ingo had a darkness trick in KBM final senarion, but I either missed it or never got to it, Im still at the 30 min. part.)

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
Replies:
posted 03-21-03 07:06 PM CT (US)     1 / 16  
Ingo's trick actually isn't much

its a cutscene in a place there was no way you could have already explored, there was one of those rubble objects (the one that looks like a pit, like from aoe. the only way to get it in tc is to find it on a template and copy/paste).
there's a torch to give it a little camp fire, and the torch is yours, so you can see the cutscene

then the 2 sisters talk, just within your los

see, not much at all

Bah.
posted 03-21-03 07:27 PM CT (US)     2 / 16  
Yep, never seen it before

posted 03-21-03 07:37 PM CT (US)     3 / 16  
magna_ gb made a mod called the void ,which is a black square you can place all around an area giving an appearance of night.

Clayper
Team Mentor for AOKH Communal Campaign
Proud DGDN Member
posted 03-21-03 07:40 PM CT (US)     4 / 16  
There was a modpack (about a couple of years old) that allows you to place large squares of darkness, snow, and rain.

Anyways, since we are on the subject of rubble (), you can create a new terrain by using the largest rubble found in AoK. In fact, you can disguise cliffs underneath the rubble, since the rubble looks elevated when used in huge numbers.

posted 03-22-03 02:54 AM CT (US)     5 / 16  
Night effect? I suppose you don't mean removing/ changing ownership of everything that belongs to player 1, so that the fog of war covers an area. If your scenario is for multiplayer, and if all players are active, I'm afraid that back-into-fog thing is all you can do. A complete night effect requires passive dummy players and constantly changing diplomacy.

Here is how a complete night effect works. You can cover visible areas in complete darkness again if you haven't explored it yourself, and if you are only seeing it through an ally's LOS. The ally could have a house, a flag, a torch or a shipwreck (works only in AoK, has no LOS in AoK:TC) as a 'map revealer' in that area.

Try to mess with cartography and diplomatic settings: Have a trigger change your diplomatic setting to an allied 'LOS-Giver' to neutral or enemy (don't make that ally change his setting, or your'll get those annoying diplomatic messages), and the lit up area will completely fall back into darkness again. To prevent players from messing with the diplomatic settings, have looping triggers fix the settings. Deactivate those looping triggers only just before the settings are supposed to change.

Things to watch out for if you use that method:
a) That LOS-Giver shouldn't have any objects near your units, or your band of guys will suddenly attack that peaceful village they're resting in.
b) If you research cartography, all allies will be visible on the map. If you want to prevent that and have an "allied" village which is undiscovered, give that other village the diplomatic stance neutral or enemy towards you - but deprive them of anything that can shoot, slash or poke at you, or you'll have a very unfriendly ally! If you do give them any military stuff, make sure you freeze all of it with an area effect. "Freeze" also works for towers and castles to some extent.

Ingo

posted 03-22-03 06:13 AM CT (US)     6 / 16  
Forgive me kevingamer prime, as I wrote all this below before seeing your AoK only indication.

The map entirely in fog of war using the ideas below or flash revealing through diplomacy and reveal removal at the very start. This could be interesting for the players, because no trails are being made.

Aro's 'Darkness Trick' would be a nice addition in spots around the map. This could make for a good game experience...let go of your unit inside the darkness and he is lost there.

Some campfires (made from damaged farms and paths), for each player. Farms have very short LOS.

Crasher's light from a window trick would be good.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 03-22-2003 @ 06:16 AM).]

posted 03-22-03 09:30 AM CT (US)     7 / 16  
Ok, thanks!
*runs off to editor*

posted 03-22-03 04:19 PM CT (US)     8 / 16  
I first hear that Talon Karrde. I need to try this.
RED LORD

"If I take one more step, this'll be the furthest from The Shire that I've ever been."
posted 03-24-03 12:26 PM CT (US)     9 / 16  
*grins at Ingo and Anastasia...*

I guess I'll have to break down and write articles about those tricks. I was hoping to not write in depth articles till I released my campaign, but people keep bringing it up... Anyway guys, stop by DGDN some time soon and I'll see if I can't settle these tricks once and for all.

Anastasia, I should have listened to you and put them in TNW before I knew that other people would find them. But they cant steal my style!! *ominous laugh*

posted 03-24-03 07:19 PM CT (US)     10 / 16  
Oh crash...I'm sorry!

I thought you posted the light from the window screens and description in public forum? Oh well...no harm done without a description.

The cartography/diplomacy change we conceived in concert...if you recall you first used hidden units to achieve the aspect of your other discovery.

No one actually reads these posts anyway.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 03-24-03 07:25 PM CT (US)     11 / 16  
No, I don't think that is good for my game. I need darkness around the enemy base, taking up all the screen, so....
Sorry

posted 03-25-03 12:19 PM CT (US)     12 / 16  
Maybe you can figure out how to use this to your advantage.

Angel Aro
Age of Kings Heaven Angel | Empires Heaven Angel
Events:
posted 03-25-03 07:50 PM CT (US)     13 / 16  
Nope, it needs to be executed DURING the game and BOTH players should see it. Nah, it not importaint, just an sfx

posted 03-25-03 11:16 PM CT (US)     14 / 16  
In a multiplayer game it is still possible if you have a dummy player to "steal" the map revealers from, with cartography. If, however, your player one units have at any time already been to that spot where you want the base to be darkened, then it is not possible.

Unless...
You can look into Aro's trick, or fool around with creating and deleting gaia units. sometimes if you create and delete a gaia unit in the same trigger, (assuming that there is a player one unit (map revealers work), to see the gaia thing, and try to "acquire it". Goof around with this, you may find something yet...

posted 03-26-03 06:59 PM CT (US)     15 / 16  
Nope. I declare this beyond the limits of the editor. The trick is where the person's BASE its, it wasn't importaint anyway, just.... forget it.

posted 03-26-03 07:13 PM CT (US)     16 / 16  
Just because Kevin has said it is not possible I will now look into it...

I am understanding that he's talking about an area where player one has already been? There still might be a way...

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Darkness???
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames