Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Solution to renaming new units ~ and ~ Royal family idea
posted 04-14-03 08:19 AM CT (US)   
These are two ideas i've had:

Solution to renaming new units ~ and ~ Royal family idea

Idea 1 - Solution to renaming new units:
Everybody knows that units created during the course of the scenario cannot be renamed with triggers. I've got an alternative: have the unit you want to appear in an allied player, named as something like "citizen" or "soldier" or just keep it's normal name, unless it's a hero. Then block view for a while (by removing your unit) when your unit goes to the area it changes to another unit. Once the view is blocked, rename the "citizen" to the name of your hero, then move him to where you want. Change his ownership to you. And there you have it! Here's an example:
The hero, called Qwertyuiop, visits the town of Asdfghjkl, where the mayor, called Zxcvbnm, tells him to go to the Stables to get a horse (he is an infantry unit). On the way, he goes past a Light Cavalry renamed to Citizen. When he gets there, he gets removed (a unit in a ship in the corner stops you from losing). Behind the fog of war, Citizen has been renamed to "Qwertyuiop on horse". He changes to your player. And you have a new renamed unit!

Idea 2 - Royal family idea
This is an idea to have a royal family in your scenario. You have a King and several princes. When the King dies, the first Prince will be renamed to King and maybe become stronger. Then when that King dies, the next Prince becomes King. When your King dies and there are no more Princes left, you will lose.

Does anyone like these ideas? Or have constructive criticism? Well tell me!

__ HIGH EMPEROR __
^v^v^v^............ ..AKA The Teddinator .. ............... ..Who needs a sig anyway?.. ............^v^v^v^
All they have is hilariously funny quotes and cheesy jokes... Oh well!
Communications
Email me at tedpatrol@aol.com [||] Or ze_teddin8r@hotmail.com[||] AOL Screen Name: tedpatrol

"Americans have different ways of saying things. They say "elevator", we say "lift" ... they say "President", we say "stupid psychopathic git." -Alexai Sayle
Replies:
posted 04-14-03 02:31 PM CT (US)     1 / 5  
I have used the "changing units" trick so many times, here's the best version of it:

Instead of your citizen just "dissapearing", (which is kind of obvious, and at first the player might think he's the citizen, I don't know... What you can do instead is not rename the "citizen", instead leave him as a Knight or whatever his given name is. This way, when you remove your current unit and rename the next unit, (don't forget to task the next unit to the old unit before you remove him, that way they are in almost the exact same spot!), this way you can also create another Knight or whatever, and since he was originally titled "Knight", nobody will think twice about it! Well it's an added effect, but still not the best. Here's what I use:

I use an out of reach area to store my "alternate" units. Make a wall, a wood, or something that can be removed and replaced in the fog of war. This way, you could have nobody for miles, and still get a new unit relatively quickly. And it makes the player do an awesome double take when they see their new unit just show up all of a sudden!

One thing is, when you're using this trick, be sure to set conditions that make sure that both units are where they are supposed to be, for example you don't want to gain your knight, and have your alternate personality standing next to you. (if you don't just remove the unit, which I don't like to do, cuz I never know when I might need to dismount my horse some time later on!

That's what I've come up with; maybe Phillip has some words on this trick as well...

-crasher

posted 04-15-03 04:38 AM CT (US)     2 / 5  
Thanks, what about the second one?

__ HIGH EMPEROR __
^v^v^v^............ ..AKA The Teddinator .. ............... ..Who needs a sig anyway?.. ............^v^v^v^
All they have is hilariously funny quotes and cheesy jokes... Oh well!
Communications
Email me at tedpatrol@aol.com [||] Or ze_teddin8r@hotmail.com[||] AOL Screen Name: tedpatrol

"Americans have different ways of saying things. They say "elevator", we say "lift" ... they say "President", we say "stupid psychopathic git." -Alexai Sayle
posted 04-16-03 00:49 AM CT (US)     3 / 5  
Hmmm, well that's not something that I've used before, and I don't think that I could come up with something too engaging to do with it... It's the kinda trick that you could do if you wanted, but I can't think of any really breathtaking uses for it...

-crasher

posted 04-24-03 09:03 PM CT (US)     4 / 5  
Is this for Age of Kings or TC?

"If "A" equals success then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut"

-Albert Einstein

-Dan_Ro221@hotmail.com-

posted 04-24-03 11:33 PM CT (US)     5 / 5  
The first one uses a Change Object Name trigger, so only TC. The second one uses only basic triggers, so either will work.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Solution to renaming new units ~ and ~ Royal family idea
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames