You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fog - an impossible idea?
posted 05-15-03 02:13 PM CT (US)   
Hi all,

wouldn't it be nice if we could isolate the dust clouds that go up whenever a building collapses, and make them permanent? Then dust clouds such as the ones of destroyed castles could be used for foggy landscapes. Units could walk through them, and only be hard to distinguish. Just imagine the atmosphere this could add: Hazy and dangerous forests, or raging battles in the open field with silhouettes appearing before your units from out of the fog...

I'm not actively designing at this time, and I still cannot think of any way to achieve such a fog effect. Anyhow, there are many things I thought were impossible in the past years. So I thought I'd just 'drop' my crazy and impossible idea here. If there is a way, maybe mentioning my impossible idea will get some creative guys here on track until they find a way.

Ingo

Replies:
posted 05-15-03 02:27 PM CT (US)     1 / 22  
A lovely idea!

You have got me thinking.

These are some current untested theories of mine.:Looping buildings that are created and destroyed. Although you would not be able to walk through these. Changing ownership triggers which works on objects shot from onagers and other such military weapons.

Another idea perhaps using a combination of these or other ones.The only problem will be if the dirt animation is not isolatable and has no real susbtance.

Quote:

crazy and impossible idea here

should we use the word impossible any more? So many people have come up with creative and inovative uses I think many things can be done one way or another.

Just some thoughts to get us started!

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 05-15-2003 @ 02:31 PM).]

posted 05-15-03 03:08 PM CT (US)     2 / 22  

Quote:

should we use the word impossible any more?

Well... it's up to you or others to prove me that we shouldn't.

posted 05-15-03 03:37 PM CT (US)     3 / 22  
Just thinking. There is a bug that keeps thrown or fired items on the map, like an axe, your unit can pass without getting hurt and you still hear the noise. Can this be reproduced?
posted 05-15-03 03:55 PM CT (US)     4 / 22  
Do you know when you sometimes have a hand cart and change it to a normal cart in the editor.

Then occasioanly on my computer this strange smoke will follow the cart where ever it is placed.

I wonder if this can somehow be used to out advantage in the "Quest for Fog".

posted 05-15-03 03:59 PM CT (US)     5 / 22  
Update:

I was able to see a fog like haze which was floating on the screen by creating and deleting buildings in a looping manner. The trick is to find a building that does not show up even for that split second :-). Another problem is the rubble.

Small buildings I imagine work best. Best if you also add more triggers and buildings around them for a better effect.

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 05-15-2003 @ 04:04 PM).]

posted 05-15-03 04:29 PM CT (US)     6 / 22  
Somewhere in the modpack studio, there will be the animation for buildings as they are destroyed. (you know, with the puff of smoke and everything)Can't we just make a modpack replacing a unit or object with this animation?
posted 05-15-03 05:08 PM CT (US)     7 / 22  
PaulC, not a bad idea. But people might not want to download a large modpack just to get fog. Plus, that's cheating (). It's much more interesting and fun to have to find it out for yourself. It's even better to have someone else do it.

FrogdudeTM
Math Expert
Avid Player of The Awesomest Game Ever
posted 05-15-03 05:14 PM CT (US)     8 / 22  
I've isolated a smoke from a destroyed building in the drs files, but it lasts only a moment.

I like your idea Philip...have you tried to destroy bridges? If they put off smoke they seem low lying enough to hide among trees.

Yes, Paul a modder could make an animated mod and then you could loop create just the fog. For me the challenge is to create without mods.

posted 05-15-03 05:21 PM CT (US)     9 / 22  
Very interesting concept, Ingo.

Yes, as Frogdude said the goal is to achieve this without a modpack.

I have experimented with changing ownership of a cannon ball just before striking a unit to achieve the same effect as the projectile frozen in air, unfortunetely I was not succesfull.

Just a reminder to help with brainstorming possibilities, when a cannon ball strikes a target the same fog effect is produced as when a building is destroyed.

In regard the the building destruction, perhaps certain building animations disappear quicker than others?

posted 05-15-03 05:32 PM CT (US)     10 / 22  
hmm..interesting concept...I think it's possible somehow, the real quesiton is if it's practical to apply or not...

Help HG get rid of Firebird
posted 05-15-03 06:41 PM CT (US)     11 / 22  
I tried bridges they do not give off smoke a well placed mining or lumber camp works well.
posted 05-15-03 07:30 PM CT (US)     12 / 22  
Has anyone tried the change ownership trick. It can manage to freeze axes and arrows in mid air, but their animations continue playing. I doubt it would work, but I think that someone should give it a shot.

You want fries with that?
posted 05-15-03 08:20 PM CT (US)     13 / 22  

Quote:

I've isolated a smoke from a destroyed building in the drs files, but it lasts only a moment.

If only they could be put on the "units menu"

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 05-16-03 02:38 AM CT (US)     14 / 22  
Yes...the only way is with a mod.

Thanks Philip...can I view the test?

posted 05-16-03 10:32 AM CT (US)     15 / 22  
Sure Anastasia,I will also continue to be cheerful about the possibilites. :-).

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 05-16-2003 @ 10:33 AM).]

posted 05-16-03 01:04 PM CT (US)     16 / 22  
A quick question:

Is there a way to eliminate the sound made when a building is destroyed? In my tests, I felt that the sound took a lot away from the feel of fog. I guess it can be left in if there's a reason for it, but some campaigns might call for somewhat quieter fog.

If the cannonball from the bombard cannon can be hidden and the sound eliminated, then fog might be created using a porex villie target or invisible farm. In my tests, the farm method seemed to work better as the villie wouldn't stay invisible even after I had tried freeze unit and task with no location.

If the villie can stay invisible while moving and being attacked, the bombard cannon method might be used to create a rolling fog effect by tasking the villie to different locations. Attack ground might also work if it can be done with the editor, though I think the dust cloud from attack ground is smaller than when a unit is attacked.

posted 05-16-03 06:20 PM CT (US)     17 / 22  
It's impossible to eliminate sounds without a mod, unless you want to eliminate the annoying sound that comes up when you are tributed something.

I know some of you disagree with me, but i personally hate mods. they are such a pain to run, and can change things you don't want to change. i like all my stuff in it's original state.

***Daveguy_700***
The Sword of Archon | Post your best jokes here! | Daveguy_700@hotmail.com | Proud member of the PW clan!
"If you choose a job you like, you do not have to work a day in your life" -umm...some...guy....
"Not all who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

STUFF
posted 05-16-03 06:23 PM CT (US)     18 / 22  
Just remove the sound you want removed from the game file (Is it that simple? I thought it was)

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 05-16-03 08:03 PM CT (US)     19 / 22  
Most of the mods are very crappy and aren't really worth the download, they are what gave mods a bad name. If every mod was as good as Agammennon's Red Dragon Mod, then I wouldn't be surprised if mods are used all the time in scenarios.

As for eliminating the sound, what if you try to task the window away from the sound then task back in one trigger when the building is destroyed, would that help?

hello all
posted 05-17-03 10:11 AM CT (US)     20 / 22  
Rhydderch Hael: I'm not sure if you can force silence over a game file sound with 'forced silence' (Silent sound file).
Create a sound clip with silence and loop or long play trigger(s) with both 'Display Message' and 'Play Sound' at the same time.

Philip:
Thanks, and for understanding my moodiness of late too.

Kestrel:
That's brilliant...as usual.

BNC used to limit the smilies I could have in a post and I think I've become dangerously close to it.

posted 05-21-03 04:30 PM CT (US)     21 / 22  
I have brought this topic back up because I believe I have found a more effective way.

Using Ballista arrows you can make it look like you have fog in AOK.

How I did it was using first an arrow already frozen from a template copied it a number of times, when I wanted the fog I used kill object and destroyed the arrow and produced the effect.

Now, This can work in game using the same properties, meaning, you freeze a ballista bolt or number of bolts and then destroy them as you see fit. That’s the best way I can figure out.

The weapons will have to remain out of site of course.

[This message has been edited by Philip Dunscombe (edited 05-21-2003 @ 04:35 PM).]

posted 05-24-03 06:47 PM CT (US)     22 / 22  
Amazing Idea ingo! this could help cover your army and ambush another one ummmmm maybe someone could mod who nos
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Fog - an impossible idea?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames