Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Saved Game Bugs
posted 05-31-03 02:34 PM CT (US)   
1. The taunt bug

We all know about the taunt-trigger bug from a reloaded saved game. Common opinion is that the trigger is not working when the game was saved after a choice was offered or a question asked, meaning after the taunt was activated, because a saved game can not save an AI signal already sent in the past. This is correct, but only half of the facts. In general all taunt-triggers are more or less unstable from saved games. It can happen that a trigger does not work from a saved game, but does from the same the next day after restarting and then does not, does etc… Another fact is that the longer before the activating of a taunt a game was saved the more stable is the trigger, which indicates that the more often you save the higher the probability of trigger failure..

Examples:

Wrath of the Dark Lord, by Dark_Warrior_1

To open a gate you have to enter a pass word. The trigger does often not work from reloaded saved games, after you get weapon and upgrades, later you enter numbers for a boss fight, the same problem. I am still prepared to test your update.

Prince of Persia I, by Enoth

At the end of the first scenario you are asked if the hero loves a girl. You have to enter 60 or 59 for yes and no. It did not work from a saved game after you board the boat or before the last fight. Another day it did.

The solution:

Ulio, by Ingo van Thiel

In the cat and the lion, from saved games at the joust, before Aguric asks if Ulio prefers to die, the trigger does not work if you enter the numbers for yes and no. Ingo, anticipating that the player replays from a saved game right before the question, gives an alternative. Instead of entering the numbers into the chat box the player can click Aguric or Luanna to answer and the game continues.

Now this is not meant to propose to design without taunts, but you should give an alternative to the player in case he plays from a saved game, which you expect, hoping your scenario is not too easy for him.

2. Climbable cliffs, mountains and walk able water

Climbable cliffs, mountains and walk able water become impassable from a saved game. Here we do not distinguish between stable or unstable, under certain circumstances it happens from one saved game only, all the time.

Examples

The Adventures of Captain Skehan v1.02, by Baggy_Brad

A middle bridge piece with sea rocks, removed with a remove object trigger, showing the trick to pass a river by means of stepping stones. The player can not continue from a saved game and you need to pass quite often.

~CastawayII~, by KeLar

Five disconnected bridge parts, put alongside the shore, nine outposts for the cliffs and 50 outposts for three mountains, all killed by destroy object triggers. Walk able water, climbable cliff and mountains are impassable from a saved game. In this case the player can continue the game without any problem and impassable water for later is intended so that the player does not miss a surprise at the second crossing more south.

¤Dragonfly¤ The Still Point of Time, by ¤Anastasia¤

For the visit of a cave, at the end of the scout tour or the beginning of the original tour, a cliff has been made passable by means of four houses for the design trick. The houses are removed with a remove object trigger. The trick does not work from a saved game.

The Reason:

The reason for the saved game bug was explained by zyxomma100 in post 13. Walk able cliffs, water and mountains work, because originally a building has been placed on them. The game is coded to allow players to walk wherever a building has been destroyed or trees were copped. A saved game saves only information about present units and buildings, but it does not save past building destruction or unit removel, so the cliffs etc. are impassable from saved games.

The Solution:

For the water the designer has to place shallow water under the bridge to make it walk able also from a saved game like in Ulio or Wrath of the Dark Lord.

Apart for the walk able water there is no solution for the moment, but I will update this thread in due time.

Promising is Anastasias' post 17 about the "Eraser" from Shiva.

If you came across other saved game bugs please post here and share your experience with us.

Quoted from Matrix reloaded:

<To be continued>

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 08-29-2003 @ 11:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-31-03 02:47 PM CT (US)     1 / 33  

Quote:

I am still prepared to test your update.

You havn't gotten my mail?

posted 05-31-03 03:11 PM CT (US)     2 / 33  
I just looked in your file, the last mail I got was dated 01/19/2003, where you announced that you will send me the latest version. I never got it.

Sorry I should have reminded you.

posted 05-31-03 03:23 PM CT (US)     3 / 33  
Well, fede most recently sparked the thought of me updating it and I mailed you the other day. It must not have gone through...
It's not your fault, I got lazy and moved on to different projects. I'm not very proud of that design based on what I'm doing now so I've been hesitant to update it.

Expect mail later tonight.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Warrior_1_ (edited 05-31-2003 @ 03:24 PM).]

posted 05-31-03 05:03 PM CT (US)     4 / 33  

Quote:

Now this is not meant to propose to design without taunts,

But designers should,, there is an alternative stable way as mentioned in ingo's "Ulio".
I can't see the logic in working hard on a scn, then installing taunt base triggers that may cause the game to take a nosedive.

posted 05-31-03 10:33 PM CT (US)     5 / 33  
They add a new dimension.

I believe taunts are used because they can be used, and it seems more interactive and real.

Using Taunts you can actuely get the "yes" or "no" its a matter of preference however.

posted 06-01-03 00:44 AM CT (US)     6 / 33  

Quoted from clayperboy:

there is an alternative stable way as mentioned in ingo's "Ulio".

I have to agree with Philip. Regarding Ulio, in all the months I was play testing I never encountered the saved game bug, as I saved game before and after Ulios' first battle. From there the triggers were stable.

I just tested the saved games right before the question to be sure that every taunt trigger can cause problems. It would be sad to not use this design tool any more, the designer should just give a second option so that the player does not get stuck.

posted 06-01-03 11:55 AM CT (US)     7 / 33  

Quoted from Tanneur99:

It would be sad to not use this design tool any more, the designer should just give a second option so that the player does not get stuck.

I can respect that, and phils comment about adding new dimension and the feel of reality. I just find, that if you "weigh them in the balance" so to speak, they tip the scales toward the negative.I support your idea about including an alternative
Perhaps i could have choosen my words better tho, about not using them at all, it's like Phil mentioned, its a matter of preference.

Russian Roulette anyone ?

posted 06-01-03 12:35 PM CT (US)     8 / 33  
Topic update.
posted 06-01-03 01:27 PM CT (US)     9 / 33  

Quoted from Tanneur's updated post:

All bridges done that way, be it one middle piece (Wrath of the Dark Lord), two middle pieces (Ulio) or a whole bridge including end pieces (The Swallowed Realm chapter 1), removed with the remove object trigger, work as walk able water from any saved game.

Tanneur, do you mean the river crossing in the Birthmark? It works because the crossing is actually walkable, shallow water right from the start - the path across the river is just blocked by an invisible cliff, which gets removed when the river gets dried out.

Ingo

posted 06-01-03 02:48 PM CT (US)     10 / 33  
Yes I mean that crossing and I still wonder how you did it, making the river look dry suddenly. I still did not use a campaign opener, but like to look into .scn/.scx files. The version of Ulio I have now is dated 24. April 2003 and should be the final one. I pause game, marco polo, see a bridge out of two middle pieces, quit pause and they get removed. Maybe you used shallow water in an earlier version or you placed the bridge above the shallow water? Double security?

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 06-01-2003 @ 02:50 PM).]

posted 06-01-03 02:58 PM CT (US)     11 / 33  
The shallow water is under those middle pieces; they just make the water look like normal water after they get removed. The drying effect is done later on by putting bridge end pieces there and removing them instantly.
posted 06-01-03 03:08 PM CT (US)     12 / 33  
@ Ingo

Quote:

The drying effect is done later on by putting bridge end pieces there and removing them instantly.

Wow! Are you also the author of that trick?

I am sure that Shadows and Dark_Warrior_1 don't have shallow water under their bridges. So the conclusion is that bridge pieces placed from shore to shore are bug free.

The pieces placed along side of the shore, why do they first work as walk able water, but not from a saved game?

What do you think of the solution I proposed for the cliffs and mountains?

Edit: The above is wrong. They have shallow water under the bridges and my proposel did not work.

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 06-05-2003 @ 07:22 AM).]

posted 06-01-03 03:22 PM CT (US)     13 / 33  
I don't think that solution will work. A saved game saves info such as number of kills, etc for each player, but not info such as past units created and where they died, only present units and current activation/timer state of triggers. (which is why taunts won't work -- AI files not included)

The reason why walkable cliffs/water work is because you've placed a building on them. The game is coded to allow players to walk wherever a building has been destroyed... otherwise, whenever you destroy a building, there would be a void where no units can walk. The alternative would be to code the game so buildings are freely walkable.

In conclusion, since the saved game doesn't save past building destruction, the cliffs are now unwalkable.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 06-01-03 04:12 PM CT (US)     14 / 33  

Quote:

I am sure that Shadows and Dark_Warrior_1 don't have shallow water under their bridges. So the conclusion is that bridge pieces placed from shore to shore are bug free.

I had the "shoreless water" under my bridges.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Warrior_1_ (edited 06-01-2003 @ 04:13 PM).]

posted 06-01-03 04:25 PM CT (US)     15 / 33  
Ooops, the difference of knowledge between a designer and a player.

I will update the thread accordingly when I have more time.

posted 06-01-03 04:57 PM CT (US)     16 / 33  

Quote:

Wow! Are you also the author of that trick?

The fact that bridge ends turn the ground below them into sand wasn't my discovery; I remember seeing it in an SCN Punk article. Using that discovery to dry out a river was my idea.

posted 06-01-03 06:05 PM CT (US)     17 / 33  
Good Post!

Yes, the cave in Dragonfly and other walkable cliffs created with 'remove object' triggers are a "Saved Game Bug."

I know why too...

...The saving of the game after the objects are removed is the cause. The file that saves game resets what is found at the time of the save. If there is no object there, then it resets the terrain cliff back to it's default and does not set the walkability for an object (house or outpost) not found.

The good news is that I think my comrade Shiva of Woad has already discovered the solution. Using Shiva's 'Eraser' to create walkable cliffs and mountains should work to avoid the bug.

Remove the objects using the building eraser, then test, and immediately type 'I R WINNER' cheat code to set the 'walkable area.'

I will test this in relation to the Saved Game Bugs and get back to you.

'Shiva's Eraser' also removes wall ends and creates farm foundations, all without triggers! Look for the article, by Shiva and me soon at the Tsuniversity that is soon to be updated with new look and information.

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 06-01-2003 @ 06:06 PM).]

posted 06-01-03 11:29 PM CT (US)     18 / 33  
Yes but can shiva make invisible farms without triggers? ;-).
posted 06-02-03 06:17 AM CT (US)     19 / 33  
Oh you mean the Invisible Farm Bug...

...overrated!

posted 06-02-03 12:53 PM CT (US)     20 / 33  
There are saved game bugs in Castaway II but it is not necessarily needed to climb the cliffs, water, and mountains to win the game.

Quote:

<To be continued>

I thought it was concluded.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.

[This message has been edited by KeLar (edited 06-02-2003 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 06-02-03 04:51 PM CT (US)     21 / 33  
Anastasia, that sounds suspiciously like a bug that was fixed with a patch. Are you sure that Shiva has 1.0c? I hope so, because well if so then it would be cool...

Anyway. I was under the impression that including the AI file with the cpx file did away with the save game taunt bug? Probably dosen't. I've been trying to figure out a way around this, like creating triggers that "set signal" and also loop, but I'm currently concentrating on just finishing the story all the way through.

And thanks guys for the heads up on putting shallows / shoreless land under my bridges. I'd never have known...

I hope to see some fixes to these problems... In some situations, I will be able to use Ingo's "select object instead" to continue, but in other cases I't just isn't possible and I'd really rather use the taunts.

Please keep this updated!

[edit] Anastasia, what are you talking about? The invisible farm has infinite uses...

[This message has been edited by crasher (edited 06-02-2003 @ 05:03 PM).]

posted 06-02-03 05:18 PM CT (US)     22 / 33  
Shiva's Eraser has more. Not a bug or a patch issue.
posted 06-02-03 05:28 PM CT (US)     23 / 33  

Quoted from crasher:

Please keep this updated!

I certainly will. Right now I am busy testing another update of Wrath of the Dark Lord. Some taunt triggers are solid like rocks from saved games and two unstable. I hope, with the help of Dark_Warrior_1, to bring more light into the infamous taunt bug.

posted 06-02-03 05:41 PM CT (US)     24 / 33  
OT: Tanneur, could you please check your mail? Thanks.

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

Age of Kings Heaven · Outside Discussions
posted 06-02-03 06:07 PM CT (US)     25 / 33  
Hallo Luke

Thank you for your mail. I always consired myself as your friend and our relations as friendly, which does not exclude a nice discussion from time to time.

I do not see any necessity to reply to your post in the other thread or to the one of Anastasia anymore.

I have to go downtown and will reply to your mail later in the night or early tomorrow.

Take care my friend

Ralf

posted 06-04-03 04:35 PM CT (US)     26 / 33  
updated

Please post solutions or information about other saved game bugs.

posted 06-04-03 04:46 PM CT (US)     27 / 33  
You could always remove the buildings just before the player must walk over the cliff. This poses a problem of how they're supposed to walk back, however.

Edit: For walkable water, it's also easy enough to just recreate the bridge and remove it again.

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 06-04-2003 @ 04:51 PM).]

posted 06-04-03 04:50 PM CT (US)     28 / 33  
And replacing the buildings as soon as the unit is passed? Oh, well, but maybe you can't because there are the cliffs... I post because I'm not sure.

.: Fede_histpop 0 A.D. historian, game designer and scenario designer :.
.: working on TLA Map Editor :.

Co-founder and leader of Historiae Populorum

-DGDN member and Admin-

posted 06-04-03 04:54 PM CT (US)     29 / 33  
We had the same idea at the same time.

No, you won't be able to replace the buildings.

posted 06-04-03 05:10 PM CT (US)     30 / 33  
Are you sure?
I mean, hae you tried?

.: Fede_histpop 0 A.D. historian, game designer and scenario designer :.
.: working on TLA Map Editor :.

Co-founder and leader of Historiae Populorum

-DGDN member and Admin-

posted 06-04-03 09:44 PM CT (US)     31 / 33  
For the AI; I was aware as long as you don't quit the game, the AI will still work.

| Dawn of Fantasy | A new innovative fantasy RTS from | Reverie World Studios LLC |
Come join us on our | Forums | as we release more information on our game.
"...It might take two to tango, but only one to spam..." - Legion
"I'm not small, I'm space-efficient." - RLC
posted 06-05-03 07:15 AM CT (US)     32 / 33  

Quote:

I was aware as long as you don't quit the game, the AI will still work.

The confusing thing about theses taunt triggers is that some work from a saved game and others don't.
That's not all, from the same saved game a trigger doesn't work and the next time it does.

posted 06-05-03 07:23 PM CT (US)     33 / 33  
Tanneur's correct. I also thought that not exiting AOK would keep taunts working, but I've also had experiences where after one or two saves, taunts don't work anymore. This annoys me, seeing as there are taunts needed at about three hours into the game. Dozens of saves will be made by then, so surely they will not work. I am also trying everything I can, Tanneur...

Fede, I've tried to create units on top of cliffs where buildings were just removed from, and that didn't work; it would most likely be the same with creating the buildings again. Someone could verify this though...

Crasher.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Saved Game Bugs
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames