Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Using a Hex editor for changing names
posted 10-08-03 10:34 AM CT (US)   
Hi, I have since learned that in AOK you have to download a "Hex" editor to change the language ddl files...this was a very helpfull sugestion made by one of our members. My issue is that I need a more detailed description of how to actually USE this editor. I have downloaded it but it still is a bit confusing as it is still in code apparently. Any one's help would be great!

thanks

"I feel a whole lot more like I do now then when I first got here"

Replies:
posted 10-08-03 10:44 AM CT (US)     1 / 13  
Just a note: To clearify...I am looking for someone who perhaps has actually used this hex editor to change the names of characters in AOK. Messing with this can crash your game so one needs to be careful, however I understand it CAN be done and I am in need of using this version.

cheers
posted 10-08-03 12:23 PM CT (US)     2 / 13  
I have no idea on how to use a hex editor, but the easiest way to change a units name is to use the change name effect in the map editor... But that is only in the The Conquerors expansion... So if you don't have it, then go and buy it. Now!
posted 10-08-03 12:46 PM CT (US)     3 / 13  
I have done a bit of changing names in a Hex editor, but it's best to get a decent Hex editor

Haven't been here in years
posted 10-08-03 03:41 PM CT (US)     4 / 13  
You can change units names MUCH easier than hex editing. You need a program called resource hacker, I don't know where to get it, but to find out how to change the names, go here:
http://thedarkblade.5u.com/langfile.htm
Hope that helps.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 10-08-03 03:46 PM CT (US)     5 / 13  
I guess the editor you're talking about will chnage the unit name for good.
I meant: there's an editor in which you can hack into the game's sets and change the units names. But it would change it forever (i.e.: if you rename an archer for bowman, then everytime you wnat to create an archer in the game, it'll appear bowman, not archer. Also, it'll appear bowman in the map editor units list).
posted 10-09-03 11:18 AM CT (US)     6 / 13  
Thank you all so very much! Especially Dark Blade, I am going to the link now. I want to change for good so I am hopefull. I have the Conquers but the CD is apparently and suddenly corupt, will repurchase as I am designing for that too. thanks again!

cheers

posted 10-09-03 11:54 AM CT (US)     7 / 13  
Sorry to take up more space but I had to say...Thank YOU Dark Blade. It worked like a charm! I recommend everyone checks out Dark Blade's web site too! Fantastic.

cheers!

posted 10-09-03 05:49 PM CT (US)     8 / 13  
*smirks with pride!!*
Thanks alot, I tried to start the articles library with less commonly asked questions, because then I think it becomes more useful. I haven't seen you around alot, if you're interested anytime I could use new members and support on the site (particularly in the forums).

D_B

posted 10-10-03 07:44 PM CT (US)     9 / 13  
I wouldn't deal with hex editors. Too risky.

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
posted 10-11-03 01:43 AM CT (US)     10 / 13  
Its not risky at all just copy the files to a different location, then if you edit them and screw soemthing up, move the copyied files back to the original location and replace the ones you edited.

Dll editing isnt hard. Here is how to edit unit names, and most (if not all) of the text displayed in game. This includes unit names, building names, taunts, ect.

1. Go here:

http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

Go to the bottom of the page, then go up a little to where it says,"Download Sites for Version 3.4.0." Click on the icon that has a hammer on it.

2. When its finished downloading, unzip the zip file.

3. Go to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II
(where C: represents the hard drive where Age of Kings The Conquers is installed)

4. Copy the files
language.dll
language_x1_p1.dll
language_x1.dll

to a different folder.

5. Go to the folder where Resource Hacker was unzipped to.

6. Double click on the icon that shows a hammer in a screen. It will be labled "ResHacker."

7. Go to File then Open and open that folder you created in step 4.

8. Click on language.dll then Open

9. double click on String Table

As an example we will change the name of the piles of rubble in the scenario editor.

10. Click View Find text.. type in

rubble

then click Find next.

11. click the mouse in front of the word, back space it out,(don't backspace out the " marks) then type

junk

in between the " marks.

12. click Compile Script

13. exit the program
(if it asks about saving changes say yes. )

14. Thats all. Now just include this this file in your mod or scenario, (when you zip the files) and when the person puts it in the Age of Empires II folder it will change that name of rubble to junk.

If you want to change something else just reopen the language.dll file go to step 10 and type in whatever you want to change. For example I typed in "Samurai" (with no " marks) and changed all of the instances of that to "Link." for my Zelda/Link unit mod. How you change every place that mentions "Samurai" is you go to the first search result, change it, compile it, then search for the term "Samurai" again. Do this over and over again (searching, changing and compiling) until it finds no more results. Then just exit the program, and save the changes.

Note: I believe the files
language_x1_p1.dll
language_x1.dll

contain names added by the conquers expansion.

posted 10-11-03 06:18 AM CT (US)     11 / 13  
language_x1_p1.dll - I think this is your own file, I've not come across it before.

language_x1.dll - is the TC data file.

Just to let you know, don't forget that it's hard to reset your files to their original values. As I said in my article I think it's important to keep a backup copy in a different directory, so then you can instantly restore them if you get in trouble.

D_B

posted 10-20-03 09:26 PM CT (US)     12 / 13  
Thanks qaz123 very helpfull tutorial. I am facinated by the diverse input on this forum. It truly is encouraging to know that so many talented people from around the WORLD are in to this stuff! I have been a gamer just loving to pick apart the games and make them better and now I have the time to do it, and thanks to these forums, the power of knowledge can be at our disposal.

best regards
themightylefran

posted 10-20-03 09:30 PM CT (US)     13 / 13  
I have found Resource Hacker (if it wasn't already)
Here:
http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/reshack.zip
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Using a Hex editor for changing names
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames