Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: SCX Format
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 18  Next Page »
posted 12-22-03 08:41 PM CT (US)   
I'm sure everyone here knows how buggy and horrible the AOK scenario editor is. And I've really gotten tired of it lately. I've decided to (try to) create a program (standard Windows, not DirectX) that can edit just triggers and other textual things. I haven't quite gotten the layout down yet, but that's the easy part. The major part is reverse-engineering the SCX format. So, if any programmer-types would want to help me out on this, post here! I hope to compile all the information into a text file so anyone can use it. I know this will be hard (especially because the format seems odd), but I'm willing to give it a shot!

You can download the latest version of the program or just see the SCX format at the Official AOKTS website.

If you have any contributions or just comments, please post here!

Creator of the AOK Trigger Studio, a work not in progress.
Wise men still seek Him.

[This message has been edited by DiGiT (edited 05-05-2004 @ 03:26 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-22-03 08:48 PM CT (US)     1 / 611  
The AoK editor is terribly bugged, but I love it.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 12-22-03 09:20 PM CT (US)     2 / 611  
Oh, c'mon. The bugs are what makes AoK interesting!

Well, they do get annoying sometimes, but seriously, many of the great trigger tricks are based on bugs. Still, a very interesting idea. I'd try it out, even for novelty. Good luck with your project!

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 12-22-2003 @ 09:20 PM).]

posted 12-22-03 09:49 PM CT (US)     3 / 611  
I'm not talking about getting rid of 'useful' bugs. In fact I'm not even suggesting a replacement for Ensemble's editor. Just an alternate that you can use in certain situations.

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-22-03 09:59 PM CT (US)     4 / 611  
Hmm. Seems intriguing, but I don't understand the certain situations it could be used in. However, this might become a godsend if you somehow allow people to copy triggers. You might even become an AOKH god.

I would help you, but I have no experience with programming. Some people might be willing to help, namely at the Modpack Forum, but most people there are already involved in some sort of project there.

posted 12-22-03 11:12 PM CT (US)     5 / 611  
Yeah, I'm mostly thinking about centering it around triggers. Copying would definitely be one. It would probably also check for common errors. You could set negative tributes easily and all.
Basically you design your map and maybe some triggers in the scen. editor and then do the majority of triggers in this program.

Hopefully it'll work :-)

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-23-03 01:46 AM CT (US)     6 / 611  
I'm starting to like this idea! Are you adding features that allow you to change a unit's armor and edit the garrisoning limit?? That would be nice...

Go DiGiT! Go DiGiT! Make the program! Make the program! Save us all! Save us all! Be our first AOE2 Map Editor Hero! Be our first AOE2 Map Editor Hero! You'll be the best! Yes you will!

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ T H E F R E A K O ________
· Proud Forumer of AOKH ·
posted 12-23-03 11:31 AM CT (US)     7 / 611  
Lol, well I'll try, but if I do it by myself by time I'm done nobody will be interested in AOK anymore! :P

But no, I'm afraid I can't add new conditions or effects because the SCX format would need to be upgraded to support them. I'm not upgrading the format, just adding on to the editor.

With all the positive response, I'll definitely give it a shot! (And I'd still be pleased if someone would help me reverse-engineer the format )

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-23-03 11:43 AM CT (US)     8 / 611  
YAY! A hero will be born! He's willing to try it!

But you're saying your program's ability is to read the SCX, right? But could you like..try to do it? Or maybe you could make a HEX Editor that could edit one separate unit's attributes (EVERYTHING about it) instead of editing the whole type? But anyways, will the program have like a sort of map that views the whole scenario and have a command to select a unit and (like I said) edit that one unit's every attribute instead of editing its whole type?

Hope ya succeed, buddy!

PS: Got email?

posted 12-23-03 11:58 AM CT (US)     9 / 611  
No, don't turn it into HEX, cause then no one would use it.

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 12-23-03 12:07 PM CT (US)     10 / 611  
I would.

EDIT: Honestly, I really would!

[This message has been edited by aoc_freako (edited 12-23-2003 @ 12:08 PM).]

posted 12-23-03 02:05 PM CT (US)     11 / 611  
OK, I publicized my email so ya'll can email me.

And no, I'm not planning any hex features because:
1) like da hobo said, people wouldn't use it
2) this is only a SCN/SCX editor, not a unit editor

Also, as far as my plans go, I am not linking this with DirectX. That would require me learning DirectX :P. Instead, you'll probably have to do selecting units and areas in the AOK editor and then do textual triggers in this editor. In a later version, I'll probably add in a grid-type thing that will tell you where units are, but it won't look anywhere near as spiffy as the AOK editor.

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-23-03 02:51 PM CT (US)     12 / 611  
So basically what does the program do?

posted 12-23-03 03:01 PM CT (US)     13 / 611  
Even if it doesn't work out like you planned, it will still be a first step toward something new.

Clayper
Team Mentor for AOKH Communal Campaign
Proud DGDN Member
posted 12-23-03 06:58 PM CT (US)     14 / 611  
It is mainly going to be a good trigger editor. The unit placing/map design part of AOK's editor is great, so I don't see any need to replace that. It's just the trigger part is pretty buggy, so that's what I'm trying to make an editor for. I named some features above, and you can request more if you like.

Also if and when the SCN/SCX format is reverse-engineered, it will be very easy for someone to write programs that read it.

I've also updated the format TXT on my website with today's work. I'm afraid I didn't get too far :-/

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-23-03 07:22 PM CT (US)     15 / 611  
Well, like I said, good luck, and it would be worth it even if all you do is implement a trigger copier.

Maybe someone at the Modpack Forum would be willing to help? Maybe a bit of a long shot, but you could try.

posted 12-23-03 08:56 PM CT (US)     16 / 611  
Cool, but what do you mean by "textual stuff"? That sort of puzzled me for a moment..

posted 12-24-03 03:22 PM CT (US)     17 / 611  
OK, I posted at the Mod Forum.

aoc_freako: By "textual stuff" I meant you can edit things that don't involve graphics, like triggers, scenario instructions, and options.

I've also basically completed the header/instructions layout, I'm now trying to figure out what each section does. And that's the hard part... :-P

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-24-03 03:29 PM CT (US)     18 / 611  
Isn't "Change Object HP" a textual thing? But you can't make a new textual thing called "Change Object Armor", right?

If you edit "Change Object HP" and allow the program to change a unit's HP to a digit [LOL] higher than the regular limit that ES put, that would be cool.

posted 12-24-03 05:36 PM CT (US)     19 / 611  
Good luck on this!
I can provide you no help as my programming skills are non existant.

@aoc_freako: Changing Object HP is a textual thing, same with Armour.
I am not sure, but I do not believe that Armour is that dynamical; it is limited to technologies.
HP is pretty dynamical (why would you want a unit with 1 million HP?), and you can change it to any amount with a trigger it is just that the unit cannot retain that much HP.

And as I understand it DiGiT is only trying to make it easier to use the editor, not add new features.

[ Your quote could be here! ]*

* Contact information included separately

[This message has been edited by WhiteWolf (edited 12-24-2003 @ 05:38 PM).]

posted 12-24-03 05:41 PM CT (US)     20 / 611  
Hey, I stupidly overlooked this thread, thinking it was some question about the difference between the two. I would be very interested in this project, and if I can help in any way I will, but I can't commit too much time as I have a lot of projects on.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 12-26-03 11:41 AM CT (US)     21 / 611  
The thing about the textual thing is that, once again, I am not linking this with DirectX. That is: you will not see the map as your would in AOK. I'll probably use some kind of coordinate system to make it possible to select units and areas in this editor, but it will be much easier just to use the AOK edtior. That is why I say this will be used mostly for textual triggers (ones that don't revolve around individual units).

I'll try to write up a quick non-functional program in C++ today that will just show you guys visually what I mean.

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 12-26-03 01:00 PM CT (US)     22 / 611  
Man, I wish you were able to make new trigger effects like "Change Object Armor" and "Change Object Garrison Limit".......... *sighs and daydreams*

posted 12-26-03 02:47 PM CT (US)     23 / 611  
You'd pretty much have to recode the scx. format and the editor, to do that.

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 12-26-03 06:06 PM CT (US)     24 / 611  
hey freako,
Shadowflare is currently working on a similar project to the one you are describing in the Modpack forum.
It will be included in the Modpack Unit Creation Tool (link in my sig)

Digit,
I don't think you'd have to worry about direct x programming, as the graphics are actually bitmap files. you should be able to do it without touching direct x.

D_B

posted 12-26-03 09:32 PM CT (US)     25 / 611  
okay, just a thought, which probably isn't at all useful because I have no knowledge in programming.

If this is just going to be a trigger editor, then there's no need to make the units and stuff to be "changeable", therefore maybe you can use a full-map screenshot to get the unit-based trigger features? The map would only be there to help you remember where is where, it doesn't even have to be clickable, as long as there's like a grid on it telling which point is what coordinate.

Just a thought.

hello all
posted 12-26-03 11:00 PM CT (US)     26 / 611  
@magna: You are a genious! That'll be the perfect feature for my program!
Now all I need is a way to get a full-map screenshot, lol.

That reminds me:
@all non-programmers: Please do make suggestions as the mind of a programmer is very often creative, but not in certain areas. Once we have an idea, we don't change it. So please, as magna did, make suggestions that you think I'm overlooking. Very often there's no 'secret programming problem' with it, I just haven't thought of it! :-P

And of course, this solves my problem with the lack of DirectX, but just to clarify:
The map editor uses DirectX to place the units/buildings on the field, so if I was to recreate that, I'd need to link with DirectX.

Wise men still seek Him.

[This message has been edited by DiGiT (edited 12-26-2003 @ 11:02 PM).]

posted 01-05-04 06:28 PM CT (US)     27 / 611  
I'm posting here mainly just to let you all know I am still actively working on the project. It's really slow because the format is very odd. I am still also really wanting some help!

Probably no one has any clue about this, but does anyone know if the files are somehow encrypted or strings rotated? I can only find the Instructions in normal ASCII, hints, scouts, everything else just doesn't appear in the file :-/

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 01-05-04 06:42 PM CT (US)     28 / 611  
Well Digit, I have no idea about the Scouts/Hints problem. I've wondered about that too.

As for taking a full map screenshot, press Ctrl-F12.

posted 01-06-04 04:28 PM CT (US)     29 / 611  
you cant put the hp above the 65,536 which is (in hexadecimal) 10,000 without reprograming the memory allocating of aok:tc! Even on excell you cant go bellow row 65,536 (10,000)
posted 01-06-04 04:31 PM CT (US)     30 / 611  

Quote:

Probably no one has any clue about this, but does anyone know if the files are somehow encrypted or strings rotated? I can only find the Instructions in normal ASCII, hints, scouts, everything else just doesn't appear in the file :-/

I have an idea to help you track how its stored. Change one thing in the game, mabey 1 letter in Scouts or 1 trigger, and then use MS Word's or open office's track changes tool!
posted 01-06-04 04:43 PM CT (US)     31 / 611  

Quote:

65,536 which is (in hexadecimal) 10,000

I'm not quite with you. 10000 in hex is equal to 16 in decimal. But I do agree about the re-programming thing though.

D_B

posted 01-06-04 05:18 PM CT (US)     32 / 611  
Yeah thanks for the map screenshot thing, I got that yesterday from da hobo's FAQ :-P.

Just to clarify what I'm actually doing: I make a really simple scenario (no units, no triggers) and just change a few settings here and there, (add instructions, change victory), and open it in a hex editor. It would be very easy, but the only problem is the entire file changes except for the header every save no matter if you change anything or what. That's what I mean when I say it's an "odd format". It's like it's encrypted or something :-/.

Now that I've made it a bit clearer, is there anyone interested? All you need is an analytical mind. (I can teach you bin and hex .)

And actually nicholas is right about 65536 being 10000 in hex. 0x10 is 16 in decimal, actually. In fact, all the 'magic' numbers in AOK are actually just one above the limits for the various integer datatypes. For example 65536 is one over the max unsigned short (16-bit) value. I know, it's complicated :-P.

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 01-06-04 05:39 PM CT (US)     33 / 611  
However, he is wrong in the fact that the actual max HP is only 32768.

posted 01-07-04 10:55 PM CT (US)     34 / 611  
Lol, oh well.

I've made a bit of progress lately! I've even written an excessively-alpha pre-release version for you all to see what I mean. Just don't drag around the dialog boxes, they don't paint correctly (this is my first GUI C++ program, lol). It will open SCN and SCX files and show the format version, save timestamp, and scenario instructions (if available).

It's available at my website.

Wise men still seek Him.
posted 01-08-04 09:57 AM CT (US)     35 / 611  
How do you play a scx scene , they dont show up when i put them in my scene folder i have AOK v 2.0a thank`s
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 18  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » SCX Format
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames