Topic Subject: SCENARIO ANNOUNCEMENT: The Tycoonist
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06-02-05 10:25 AM CT (US)   
[PNG, (246.11 KB)]
____________________________________________________________ _________
THE TYCOONIST - PERCENTAGE COMPLETE BAR:

[PNG, (70.43 KB)]
____________________________________________________________ _________

Welcome to THE TYCOONIST, a revolutionary AOK scenario. In this scenario you must wage economic war with your rivals in order to achieve your goals. You start off with the little money you stole from your mothers safe in order to get you on the road and you must quickly buy, sell and trade your way to greatness. Purchase industrial enterprises such as farmyards or mines and then hire a workforce to work on your land. Eventually you will find yourself able to buy a headquatres for your business which will open up a whole new variety of options such as interaction with your rivals. To help earn a little extra money you can either play it honest and rent out property you buy across the city or you can embark on dirty dealings to earn you cash and quick! Whichever method you choose only one player will reign supreme as the Ultimate Business Tycoon!

DOWNLOAD THE RECORDED DEMO

Features:

The Tycoonist will include:

• Up to 3 Player Multiplay.
  • Over 10 different methods of earning gold to reach your goal.
  • Unqiue User Interfaces that allows total player freedom.
  • Mini-missions to be completed throughout the game.
  • "Mugging" Ability: Mug the innocent bystander for a little extra cash.
  • Fast Paced Gameplay to ensure players are kept interested.
  • HQ Option: Allows players to interact with each other.

Screenshots:

Quayside Road - The Avenue.
    Unique User Interface NEW!
    The Headquatres NEW!
    The Barracks NEW!
    The Market NEW!

Progress:

Current Enterprises Available: Farmyards, Horseranch, Mining Quarry, Coach Services, Property Renting, Mugging, Mission Completing.
    Current Number of Roads: 25
    Currently Working On: Map Design (47% Complete)

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
    ---------------------------
    S . P . Q . R
    comming soon

[This message has been edited by pharoh_elite (edited 06-11-2005 @ 08:13 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 06-02-05 11:34 AM CT (US)     1 / 61  
    This goes for everyone, who are planning to announce their projects:

SCREW THE TRIGGER COUNT OKAY??????????????????????????

---

The Tycoonist sounds quite interesting...Kinda GTAish. (^.^) Hope it turns out good.

By the way, your pictures can't be seen.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
    posted 06-02-05 11:51 AM CT (US)     2 / 61  
    Nice idea, sounds promising. The pictures are also nice. However, you should know that the players will quickly get bored with the monotonous gameplay of collecting money or money equivalents, with minimal actual action involved. Hence, the events chosen must be quite impressive enough to attract attention and excitement. I say, the very best of luck, for if done well, this might truly be revolutionary!

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
    posted 06-02-05 12:08 PM CT (US)     3 / 61  
    thanks for the comments:

Quoted from surge:

SCREW THE TRIGGER COUNT OKAY??????????????????????????

The amount of triggers does have little influence on how good a scenario is but if there are more triggers in a scenario it is likely, depending on the designer, that there are more events etc that make it good.

Quoted from surge:

The Tycoonist sounds quite interesting...Kinda GTAish. (^.^) Hope it turns out good.

By the way, your pictures can't be seen.

GTAish yes i suppose, although it is on the very extremes of similarity with GTA. You can't see the pictures? hmm.. Don't know why that is.

Quoted from pulkit:

Nice idea, sounds promising. The pictures are also nice. However, you should know that the players will quickly get bored with the monotonous gameplay of collecting money or money equivalents, with minimal actual action involved. Hence, the events chosen must be quite impressive enough to attract attention and excitement. I say, the very best of luck, for if done well, this might truly be revolutionary!

Yes i took this into consideration when designing the concept and i have made it as fast paced as possible. In addition it is a multi-player scenario making it even more fast paced as your opponents will have human minds at the helm rather than AI.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-02-05 02:18 PM CT (US)     4 / 61  
    Why can't you accept the fact that sometimes other people are correct? You spend all your time trying to explain yourself. I'm sick of it.

EDIT: You could have just written it all down in the topic thread, instead of making everyone look at your hard to read images. Why is everything centered?

[This message has been edited by Colo the Great (edited 06-02-2005 @ 02:19 PM).]

posted 06-02-05 02:31 PM CT (US)     5 / 61  
    You know, when i saw that you have posted in my thread i knew before reading that it would be something pointless and pathetic. Now i don't want this thread to be ruined by you like my last one was so if you've nothing constructive to say then don't say it. Members like Pulkit and Surge have posted their comments to query my design, so i explain what i will do or have done to resolve the criticism, that's what thread like this are all about.

Much appricated.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-02-05 03:11 PM CT (US)     6 / 61  
    Of course good projects need triggers, but one doesn't need to boast about the number of triggers. We'll all see how well the triggers are done when we play the game. I mean, "even" 200 triggers can make a good enough scenario. Sometimes high trigger count makes the whole scenario feel overscripted.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
    posted 06-02-05 03:18 PM CT (US)     7 / 61  

Quote:

Yes i took this into consideration when designing the concept and i have made it as fast paced as possible. In addition it is a multi-player scenario making it even more fast paced as your opponents will have human minds at the helm rather than AI.

Good thinking. Infact, multiplayer is a very wise option, it will reverse the whole 'boredom' issue into 'competition,' a lot of fun to play. Good work, and good luck!

posted 06-02-05 03:18 PM CT (US)     8 / 61  
    very true, i decided to put that as a feature as i couldn't think of anything else to put but yes its not the amount of triggers that counts its what you do with them.

@ pulkit: thanks

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon

[This message has been edited by pharoh_elite (edited 06-02-2005 @ 03:19 PM).]

posted 06-02-05 09:34 PM CT (US)     9 / 61  
    Yes, but if it is multiplay, it will slide into the realms of the forgotten and unreviewed, just like my scenario.

| D A R C K R C D D |
    posted 06-03-05 06:11 AM CT (US)     10 / 61  
    That is a big possibility but there are still a lot of people who play online who do not necessarily come on this site. So longas it gets played online i'm happy. If it doesn't get reviewed then i'm still happy. Scenarios like the classic Paintball and such survived because people kept playing them, if it's good enough to be played by lots of people then thats all i want.

Of course, in the eventuality that this does not occur i may have to rethink and create a single-player version that is just as fast paced. I would have to customize the AI using triggers which would take up about 1000 but anyway...

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-03-05 06:49 AM CT (US)     11 / 61  
    Sounds interesting, looking forward to it's release

» Ranger Scenario Designer: AoC
    posted 06-03-05 08:40 AM CT (US)     12 / 61  
    A trigger count can also be misleading. Most of my scenarios have less than 200 triggers, but each trigger usually has 5-15 effects. Instead of making a new trigger for each name change, for example, I have one "names" trigger, which I put up to 15 or so change name effects, and start more triggers for more names as needed. If I made a new trig for each effect, I might have 1000 triggers, but it would be the exact same scenario (though probably harder to make, because you have a list of 1000 triggers you need to search through if you need to fix something.)
    posted 06-03-05 08:55 AM CT (US)     13 / 61  
    I feel like I have to make a contribution to this trigger discussion: maybe it's meaningless posting the trigger count, but I'll much rather download a campaign with a 1000 triggers than a 200. In most cases that is a indication of a dynamic and interactive campaign, even though there are exceptional cases. I don't really think someone would make a 100 triggers to rename a 100 units. Even though my project Grand Theft Empires have passed 1000 triggers I recently removed over 200 triggers just to improve the game. Some scens just require that much triggers because when you're working with different conditions you can't compress it by using 30 effects in every trigger - take conversations as an example.
    posted 06-03-05 12:33 PM CT (US)     14 / 61  

Quoted from Devil Ranger:

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it's release

Thanks, it'll be a while but not too long I hope. Sometime later this year.

Quoted from King Bob VI:

A trigger count can also be misleading. Most of my scenarios have less than 200 triggers, but each trigger usually has 5-15 effects. Instead of making a new trigger for each name change, for example, I have one "names" trigger, which I put up to 15 or so change name effects, and start more triggers for more names as needed. If I made a new trig for each effect, I might have 1000 triggers, but it would be the exact same scenario (though probably harder to make, because you have a list of 1000 triggers you need to search through if you need to fix something.)

Quoted from oliver:

I feel like I have to make a contribution to this trigger discussion: maybe it's meaningless posting the trigger count, but I'll much rather download a campaign with a 1000 triggers than a 200. In most cases that is a indication of a dynamic and interactive campaign, even though there are exceptional cases. I don't really think someone would make a 100 triggers to rename a 100 units. Even though my project Grand Theft Empires have passed 1000 triggers I recently removed over 200 triggers just to improve the game. Some scens just require that much triggers because when you're working with different conditions you can't compress it by using 30 effects in every trigger - take conversations as an example.

I have to say that i agree with oliver. Most good designers who are likely to complete a project with over 1000 triggers are not likely to be stupid enough to have a seperate trigger for each name change. I, like King Bob have a trigger for non-looping names and for looping names (buildings or villagers)Connecting dialogues in a conversations can take up anything from 2 to about 50 triggers and beyond.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-03-05 01:12 PM CT (US)     15 / 61  
    Sounda alot like the "Just Life" scenario posted about on this forum. Has the same idea, buying and selling propertiys and rising up throught the ranks. Persnoally they both sound so i'll just play the first which comes out.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
    "Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
    "Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
    posted 06-03-05 03:28 PM CT (US)     16 / 61  
    just checked out this "Just Life" scenario you talked about. Yes there are similiarities in his scenario to mine but looking closer they are completely different. I believe his is about making money and living you life like you have to do in The Sims. His screenhsots shows mostly suburban land. The Tycoonist however is all about being a business entrepeneur, building a business empire in an urbanized environment. I'll have to wait for the release of his to see how similar it is.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-03-05 03:42 PM CT (US)     17 / 61  
    i see, yours is basilscy Sim City, and his is the Sims. Similar but different. I like them both, but i'll proably play "Just Life" more when it comes out, no offense, i just prefer the idea like playing life, instead of the pressue of coparte enemeys etc.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
    "Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
    "Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
    posted 06-03-05 05:22 PM CT (US)     18 / 61  
    Whatever, I find it pointless to argue with you, as you'll never admit that sometimes you are actually wrong.
    posted 06-03-05 05:44 PM CT (US)     19 / 61  
    This is kind of lik my map 'Just Life'.

Good luck with it

edit: nvm I just read the few replies befor mine.

Actually they are very similiar, almost identical.
    The only diference I can see is:

In mine you start with a farm. --- In yours you start with nothing but money.

And yours is mroe economical, mines is more based on one character, and his life.

Crusader
    I've been away, but now I'm back.
    Just Life scenario is still under progress and will not be abandoned untill finished
    Click here to sign up for playtesting or see screens.
    Thank you for reading this messege, now back to your regular scheduled program

[This message has been edited by Crusad3r (edited 06-03-2005 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 06-04-05 07:35 AM CT (US)     20 / 61  
    In answer to everything i think what Scud says sums it up:

Quoted from Scud:

yours is basically Sim City, and his is the Sims

We'll have to wait till the release of our scenarios to see for certain Crusad3r. I'll look forward to downloading yours.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-06-05 10:46 AM CT (US)     21 / 61  
    *UPDATE* New Screenhsot Added.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-06-05 10:52 AM CT (US)     22 / 61  
    Nice screenshot. You should try map copying the houses over each other for variation.

Good work.

posted 06-06-05 09:10 PM CT (US)     23 / 61  
    Well like you said, we just have to wait and see. I am anxious to see your map when its finished aswell.

Crusader
    I've been away, but now I'm back.
    Just Life scenario is still under progress and will not be abandoned untill finished
    Click here to sign up for playtesting or see screens.
    Thank you for reading this messege, now back to your regular scheduled program
    posted 06-06-05 09:59 PM CT (US)     24 / 61  
    Not bad. Did you photo-chop the minimap or something?

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
    BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
    BEST SIG OF 2008
    92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
    "^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
    posted 06-06-05 10:45 PM CT (US)     25 / 61  
    It's called the Blur Tool.
    posted 06-07-05 02:42 AM CT (US)     26 / 61  
    Thanks all, yes i blurred it as colo said. When you say map copy the houses over each other colo, what exactly do you mean?

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-07-05 05:36 AM CT (US)     27 / 61  
    Just go to the terrain tab and go to the map-copy section. Then highlight the house, then place it next to the current house or another building. You can put a few tiles overlapping the current building. Map-copy allows you to overlap buildings to a certain extent which can give you really good eye-candy effects. Well, don't overlap too much or else the current building might disappear.

˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜
    _-˜°**°˜-_ »Ruler« .° »of« °. »Hell« _-˜°**°˜-_
    ˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜

[This message has been edited by Ruler of Hell (edited 06-07-2005 @ 05:37 AM).]

posted 06-07-05 05:46 AM CT (US)     28 / 61  

Quote:

Map-copy allows you to overlap buildings to a certain extent

You can map copy buildings upto any extent. Using map-copy, you can achieve buildings upto one tile from being exactly on top of each other. More gap can obviously added. Using the eraser bug one gets buildings on top of buildings.

posted 06-07-05 03:53 PM CT (US)     29 / 61  
    ah, thanks. A trick I was not aware of. Obviously, if your looking for houses to look seperate or "detached" housing then the trick isn't necessary. But not everyone is that well off, including me .

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-08-05 05:44 AM CT (US)     30 / 61  
    Sorry for the off-topic.

~Off-Topic~
    @pulkit: What eraser bug are you talking about? Sorry, I don't know about it.

˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜
    _-˜°**°˜-_ »Ruler« .° »of« °. »Hell« _-˜°**°˜-_
    ˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜.°*˜˜*°.˜*°..°*˜˜*°..°*˜
    posted 06-08-05 06:27 AM CT (US)     31 / 61  
    @RoH: The erase bug is only applicable in versions of AoK without the C-patch. When you create a building, you can erase it by using the 'Erase Building' feature in the 'Terrain' section. The building will be erased graphically, but it will remain there. So now you can place another building on the very same location. Again erase it. This will leave a blank map portion, but the buildings will be there. Simply map-copy this location to another place, and you'll notice that both buildings have regained their graphics, but will be right on top of each other! If this doesnot work properly, try often until you perfect it. If all this is unclear, drop me a note.

posted 06-08-05 02:35 PM CT (US)     32 / 61  
    I didn't know about that. Interesting.
    posted 06-08-05 02:48 PM CT (US)     33 / 61  
    Well, in SWGB that is also fixed AFAIK with the exception of one building: fortress (see: castle).. put on some place a fortress, and then "erase" it just by replacing the terrain it is with starfield... the fortress will still be there, and can fire with AA-missiles out of nowhere
    posted 06-09-05 02:50 AM CT (US)     34 / 61  
    again with the off-topic , lol but nice trick.

S . P . Q . R
    comming soon
    posted 06-09-05 02:50 PM CT (US)     35 / 61  

Quote:

again with the off-topic

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » SCENARIO ANNOUNCEMENT: The Tycoonist
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames