Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A conclusive list of audio tools
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-11-05 04:18 AM CT (US)   
Hey guys,

it's come to my attention that more and more people are asking around for audio creation and/or development tools. Perhaps I'm kicking a dead horse, but I figured it'd be for the best to just list all of the popular ones, and thereby circumvent any future (redundant) questions. If you have any contributions, feel free to share them.

Adobe Audition: The old CoolEdit, now property of Adobe Inc.. It's been a long time since I last used the former, and seeing as I have yet to try the latter, I can't tell you anything about it. All I know is that there's a demo version available, weighing a hefty 47.6MB, and that it'll cost you a grand $299 for a full version.

Audacity: A free, cross-platform audio editor, weighing in at 2.4MB. Link courtesy of Anastasia -- I haven't tried it out myself, but it looks promising, what with being able to do a host of things Goldwave can while at the same time being free of charge. You'll need the LAMEWIN32 codec, as well as a VST Enabler. Free.

CDex: Small, yet versatile, CDex can convert to and fro .wav- and .mp3-files, and rip entire audio CD's to boot. It weighs a little under 2MB, is easily installed, and runs like sunshine. Free.

dbPowerAMP: Nicknamed "the Swiss army knife of Audio", dbPowerAMP is a converting powerhouse, supporting all major formats -- and all that for a lousy 1.5MB. It can integrate itself into any Windows OS, and is, to my knowledge, the only free audio tool capable of converting Real formats. What more can I say? Try it out. Free.

Goldwave: Of course, Goldwave. The interface still isn't much of anything, but it's one of the most powerful audio editors out there. It fully supports wav, mp3, ogg, aiff, au, vox, mat, snd, voc, raw binary data, text data, and more, and comes in at a cheap $45. As the popular kids say -- anyone who's anyone uses Goldwave. Be sure to try out the demo version, and don't forget to read the installation notes. Also, you'll need the LAMEWIN32 codec to be able to edit and save .mp3-files.

Quintessential Player: From what I get from it, the Quintessential Player is a nice alternative to Winamp, capable of ripping CD's much like the latter. It weighs a light 2.3MB, and comes without "Cost, Ads, Spyware, Nags, Overall annoyance" -- they do have a sense of humor. Free.

Sound Recorder: Typically accessed under Bureau Accessories, Sound Recorder comes preinstalled with most any version of Windows. I'm not sure whether or not there's a version available for the Mac, or that the Mac comes preinstalled with something else, but no doubt someone'll correct me. In any case, the Sound Recorder is a real bare-bone, in that it can record .wav-files (spoken or not), and not much else. If it's all you have, make sure you check out this list for some additional firepower. It would seem there are no major differences between the Sound Recorders of various Windows versions (most notably 95/98, 2000 and XP). Free.

Super: Suggested by Anastasia, this tool promises to convert nearly any form of audio currently available. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks pretty solid. Do take note of the download warning, however; I've followed up on everything it said, but I still haven't been able to download it. If the same is true for you, try this link, or any of the ones mentioned in post #35. Free.

VOXConverter: Though there aren't many games left who rely on .vox-files -- if you find one that has some you want, you can use the VOXConverter to convert them to and fro between .wav and .vox. It weighs a little over 2.5MB, and though I haven't yet tried it myself, it looks promising. Free.

WavePad: I have yet to check this program out myself, but VonCorgath (who's also provided this download link) had the following to say:
"While I personally don't think it is as good or user-friendly as GoldWave, it has some strong features in its favour. To begin with, the whole program is only 387KB to download! If that's not good then I don't know what is. Second, and this has been to me one of the most helpful features, is the static FFT display. Excellent for editing if you want to get rid of that annoying pitch in your file is but don't know the frequency (it may take a while to work out how to use it effectively however and most users would probably never need it). While I think all sound editors have this feature, with WavePad, simply scroll your mouse across the display to read the frequency and the amplitude of that frequency at that particular instant or if you like examine large samples for a broader result.
It is also completly free so there is no annoying pop up messages or '30 day expiry' period that limits your usage.
However it is only usable in tandem with the Windows operating system, and it doesn't let you easily change the bit-rate for direct encoding into MP3 or WMA.
Overall, it's good substitute for GoldWave or Audacity with slightly less functionality, so check it out!"

Winamp: Most people tend to overlook Winamp, but with the right plugin it's more than capable of ripping CD's, and converting .wav- and .mp3-files. And hey, who can live without it in any case? The latest version, 5.09, can weigh anywhere between less than 1MB to a little under 8MB, depending on whether you pick the lite, full, or bundle edition.
For as far as Winamp is concerned, you can find a bunch of plugins at this site. Be forewarned, though -- I haven't tested these, so I can't confirm whether or not they actually work. They are free, however, so it shouldn't hurt to check them out. Free.

WinGroove: The only worthwhile MIDI player/converter out there. Period. It can convert .mid- to .wav-files, and does so quickly and seamlessly. It weighs a little over 1MB, and'll cost you $20 for unlimited use. See the website for more details.

Apart from these tools, here are some sites that might interest you:

4musics: Site that specializes in ripping and converting sound formats. Their most notable product is the Multiformat Converter, which (as they claim) is a grand total of twenty converters in one. None of their products are free of charge, however, which might prove a downside.

Sound Recorder Software: Site that specializes in recording sound, be it voice, what you hear, or anything else. Might be of interest to those of you who narrate your campaigns, or are looking for a way to record that one sample from a movie. You'll have to pay for their services, though.

Well... That's all for as far as I'm concerned. Once again, if any of you have anything to add, be sure to leave a note.

Edit (12/07/05): added Audacity, Sound Recorder, Quintessential Player.
Edit (11/04/06): updated Sound Recorder.
Edit (11/06/06): reorganized list alphabetically, added links to 4music and Sound Recorder Software.
Edit (12/19/06): added WavePad.
Edit (04/07/07): added Super.
Edit (04/08/07): updated Super.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH

[This message has been edited by Luke Gevaerts (edited 04-08-2007 @ 05:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-11-05 07:03 AM CT (US)     1 / 39  
I'm just hoping the demo version of Goldwave never runs out. I guess I'll miss it when it does, but paying money to do scenario design isn't really my scene.
posted 07-11-05 04:07 PM CT (US)     2 / 39  
This should be made a sticky. And it might not be such bad idea to add Quintessential Player and Sound Recorder to list. Q.Player only weighs 2.5 MB, converts wav to MP3 w/o codec (and v.v.), and doubles as a mp3,wav, and OGG player.

S.R. is already on the computer (obviously free) and it rather handy for recording and adjusting size of wavs.

posted 07-11-05 04:09 PM CT (US)     3 / 39  
Yeah, totally. Sticky it. Great post, Luke

I have Winamp, and it kicks ass. You can download, create, and customize skins. I love it.

posted 07-11-05 04:38 PM CT (US)     4 / 39  
This is going to be very helpful to forumers of the present and future. Plus, we can help you add to it to make a really useful encyclopedia of sound programs.

I use "Creative WaveStudio", and the cool thing is, it came with the computer, so I never had a problem.

posted 07-12-05 00:44 AM CT (US)     5 / 39  
Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 07-12-2005 @ 00:45 AM).]

posted 07-12-05 02:26 AM CT (US)     6 / 39  
Brilliant, Luke. I reccomend instead of stickying this thread, place it in the Scenario Design FAQ. Great compilation to have.

How long is the demo, anyways? I've had it half a year now, and it's not run out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 07-12-05 03:41 AM CT (US)     7 / 39  
Updated. Keep 'em comin'.

Quote:

I reccomend instead of stickying this thread, place it in the Scenario Design FAQ. Great compilation to have.

No, I'd rather not -- this way, I maintain control over the thread, and can thus update it when the need arises.

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 07-13-05 03:13 PM CT (US)     8 / 39  

Quote:

Oh, and note that I only have access to the '98 version -- someone fill me on on XP?

Not sure of the limitations of the 98 version... The version that comes with XP is 5.1. It can't do much, although in addition to recording, it can chop off sections of a file, decrease/increase sound... although IIRC the version that came with 95 did that too. A more useful feature is the ability to save under many different qualities of sound, allowing you to perhaps cut the filesizes of .wav files.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 11-05-06 08:55 AM CT (US)     9 / 39  
Lazarus come forth! Come up hither!
posted 11-05-06 05:07 PM CT (US)     10 / 39  
Great, Anna. Thanks a bunch.

You guys! Any additions?

OD · AoKH
posted 11-05-06 06:26 PM CT (US)     11 / 39  
That's a great list! There was also a Sound Design FAQ by Cesar Bernadi a few months back that seems to have also dropped to the depths. Maybe there's some way both of these could be compiled into an ulitimate guide or something?

I don't understand why many people use WMP to play their files instead of Winamp? I guess it comes with ones comp so that makes it easier, however it corrupts files, whereas Winamp doesn't.

Winamp...winamp, it really whips the lama's....

posted 11-05-06 07:16 PM CT (US)     12 / 39  
His deals in the practical application of sounds, while mine deals with manipulating them. Still, it's an idea worthy of investigation. Thanks for the input.

OD · AoKH
posted 11-06-06 08:06 AM CT (US)     13 / 39  
Updated.

OD · AoKH
posted 12-03-06 03:33 AM CT (US)     14 / 39  
Not necessarily relevant but worthy of note or discussion- there was a website many years ago that I used quite often with a library of free sound effects.

Any ideas for good sound effect sources these days, Luke?

PS- Goldwave is pretty much the essential tool for processing sounds and outputting them for use in a scenario or campaign. I mean honestly, if a guy like ME can figure out how to use it, it must be pretty user-friendly!

posted 12-03-06 07:01 AM CT (US)     15 / 39  
Yes, Goldwave is very user-easy. I was so excited about having downloaded it, as I could do whatever to music etc, that I sat there for a good five hours discovering all the possibilities etc. I found that it was very easy to do things, and is not time-consuming.
posted 12-03-06 08:27 AM CT (US)     16 / 39  
I've had Audacity for a long time, and I'm happy with it.
Good list, this should help a lot of people.

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
"HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi
posted 12-03-06 10:33 AM CT (US)     17 / 39  

Quote:

Yeah, totally. Sticky it.

This thread, and the urge to sticky it remind me alot of this thread:

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=36652&f=4,,0,all&st=0

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 12-03-06 05:23 PM CT (US)     18 / 39  
I don't understand why they don't sticky these kind of threads, they're completely valuable.
posted 12-03-06 05:42 PM CT (US)     19 / 39  

Quote:

Any ideas for good sound effect sources these days, Luke?

Even though I'm not called Luke: try tsuniversity.com, under Resource Links/Audio.
posted 12-03-06 11:05 PM CT (US)     20 / 39  
Mashek:
It's because we have a valuable and functioning search feature at the bottom of the forum.

posted 12-04-06 00:09 AM CT (US)     21 / 39  
Yes, but most people would never go there nor no what to type in. People will not even know if articles like this even exist.
posted 12-04-06 00:50 AM CT (US)     22 / 39  
Everyone that is not a new participant should know how to use search, and perhaps more importantly forumers should make their subjects searchable by using key words.

However, you make a good point about new members not knowing that there are these types of topic threads. I can edit the FAQ to include this and any others for now, but I am not going to create new questions for the FAQ. In other words if I can't associate it with a current question I'll place it in the helpful links section there. Anyway, I'm hoping whoever takes it over will make some additions to improve it. I'm going to pick someone qualified, active, that can dedicate themselves to recreating/renewing the current FAQ thread in the near future.

posted 12-04-06 01:50 AM CT (US)     23 / 39  

Quote:

Adobe Audition: The old CoolEdit, now property of Adobe Inc.. It's been a long time since I last used the former, and seeing as I have yet to try the latter, I can't tell you anything about it. All I know is that there's a demo version available, weighing a hefty 47.6MB, and that it'll cost you a grand $299 for a full version.

I have Audition 1.5, and I love it: sound layering, conversion to and from many different formats (mp3, wma, wav), different production effects, and the list goes on. Basically, it's what's expected from something you pay so much for and is very good for a Windows tool (typically Macs have the good sound programs). Never tried the demo, but I wouldn't get the full version if it's only for AoK sound files. (I don't have deep pockets, so I borrowed mine from my music teacher.)

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 12-04-2006 @ 01:51 AM).]

posted 12-05-06 10:50 AM CT (US)     24 / 39  
Aron, thanks for the input.

So as long as you keep reactivating the thread, Anna, I don't care if it's stickied or not.

OD · AoKH
posted 12-05-06 01:18 PM CT (US)     25 / 39  
Luke, can I link to this thread in my Heavenly Art topic in the Towns crier?

Nice list, by the way

"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
                            Kfish2oo2
                      -*'`^"^`'*- =~
    '*-=~+,._.,+                      `^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 12-09-06 07:26 AM CT (US)     26 / 39  
If you'd like to, sure.

OD · AoKH
posted 12-19-06 02:49 AM CT (US)     27 / 39  
Hi Luke.

I've known about another sound editing program for some time, called WavePad. The actual website is here:
http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html
Or you can do as I have done and downloaded it from download.com:
http://www.download.com/WavePad/3000-2170_4-10526522.html

While I personally don't think it is as good or user-friendly as GoldWave, it has some strong features in its favour. To begin with, the whole program is only 387KB to download! If that's not good then I don't know what is. Second, and this has been to me one of the most helpful features, is the static FFT display. Excellent for editing if you want to get rid of that annoying pitch in your file is but don't know the frequency (it may take a while to work out how to use it effectively however and most users would probably never need it). While I think all sound editors have this feature, with WavePad, simply scroll your mouse across the display to read the frequency and the amplitude of that frequency at that particular instant or if you like examine large samples for a broader result.

It is also completly free so there is no annoying pop up messages or '30 day expiry' period that limits your usage.
However it is only usable in tandem with the Windows operating system, and it doesn't let you easily change the bit-rate for direct encoding into MP3 or WMA.
Overall, it's good substitute for GoldWave or Audacity with slightly less functionality, so check it out!

Slightly off topic now. I use the FFT feature to work out the frequency you want removed. (If it's a high frequency look for a spike in the higher part of the spectrum). Once this is worked out I head over to GoldWave and do a Parametric EQ centered on that frequency with the smallest band possible and amplify it by about -60dB. Anyway that's just how I would use this feature and as I said earlier most users would never need it, but once you work out how to use it, it does come in handy.

[This message has been edited by VonCorgath (edited 12-19-2006 @ 03:03 AM).]

posted 12-19-06 03:18 AM CT (US)     28 / 39  
It's been added to the list. Thanks!

OD · AoKH
posted 04-06-07 11:34 PM CT (US)     29 / 39  
*bump*

posted 04-07-07 00:31 AM CT (US)     30 / 39  
Hah. Good job AK.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 04-07-07 06:39 AM CT (US)     31 / 39  
Boy, I sure blabbed on and on in my last post!
posted 04-07-07 07:02 AM CT (US)     32 / 39  
Updated.

OD · AoKH
posted 04-07-07 07:45 AM CT (US)     33 / 39  
Anastasia, why don't you add a link to this thread in the "Scenario Design Library" ? If you did people would have easy access to this useful thread and it would save you the trouble of *bumping* it.

Who watches the Watchmen?
Still Cristian, proud of it, etc...
"You are an important piece of my puzzle..."
Impaled Saren, executed Illidan, bludgeoned Big Daddy, and exploded Gravemind. What now?
Repent! Xenu is coming! Or so Tom Cruise would have you believe.
Boom. Headshot. Yes, I play FPS's.
posted 04-07-07 08:03 AM CT (US)     34 / 39  
Trouble of *bumping*? What's that?

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 04-07-07 04:39 PM CT (US)     35 / 39  
Luke: Downloading is easy, it's navigating the erightsoft.net that's difficult. The download links are at the bottom of the last of three pages the site forces us to view. To make matters worse some of the links on page two and three take you backwards.

We can't link the actual download page (third page in question) because it is automatically redirected to the first. Example:
http://www.erightsoft.net/S6Kg1.html

However we can provide the actual direct download links (4 links), and that's what I suggest be done in the topic post. Here are the 4 official download links:

SUPER©.v2007.build.22(Mar.14,2007) Freeware for Windows® Comes with a full Installer / Un-Installer package.

http://super.free.free.fr/3D9121212BB6AB90DF314FF/SUPERsetup.exe

http://updat2.free.fr/3D9121212BB6AB90DF314FF/SUPERsetup.exe

http://updat.free.fr/3D9121212BB6AB90DF314FF/SUPERsetup.exe

http://gpl.download.free.fr/3D9121212BB6AB90DF314FF/SUPERsetup.exe

I think you will like it, and it converts many video formats too.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » A conclusive list of audio tools
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames