Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project: 'Lightning and Thunder'
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 16  Next Page »
posted 09-23-05 01:35 PM CT (US)   

Headlines
4/7/06 - Part II currently on hold; working on Part III. Experimenting with modpacks and replacing in-game sounds. Tests with the installation program have been successful. New screenies up.
7/10/06 - Topic post update. Updated screenies available soon. Only slight progress in Part II as my main computer died a few weeks ago.
10/12/06 - It's still alive! Got a new computer some time ago and try to work on pt. II very evening. Uni life kinda ruins my schedule though.

Downloads
Screenshots:
'Thunder' Scenario
Enemy Camp | Gold Mines | Lowlands | Snow Melting on Hills | Old Settlement | Possible Landing Site? | Rocky Terrain | Southern Shores | Swamp

'Lightning' Scenario
Aqueducts | Army Headquarters | City Park | Downtown | Farms 1 | Farms 2 | Golden Gate | Hagia Sophia | Hippodrome | Marketplace | Merchant Boats | Mountains | Northern Harbour | Palace of the Emperor | Rocky Highlands | Rocky Lowlands | Serastri Kilpoussi | Small River | Southern Harbour 1 | Southern Harbour 2

'Clash of the Titans' Scenario
The Stamford Chapel | The River Derwent | Part of the Battle Field 1 | Part of the Battle Field 2 | The Village of Stamford | Stamford Bridge | Ruins of an Ancient Roman Settlement | Two Small Ponds

Scenarios
The Prologue

The background story
The story begins with an English surprise attack on the peaceful Norwegian village of Grimfjell, as described in the prologue. In this village there were two twins, Bragi and Ari (means ‘Lightning’ and ‘Thunder’ in ancient Viking language), who are separated from each other during the attack.

Ari is captured by the English and brought to England, where he grows into a mighty Jarl and a close friend of Harald Godwinson (also known as Harold the Saxon). Bragi drifts to Denmark, where he is found and raised to a brave Viking warrior. Later Bragi travels to Miklagardur (Constantinople) and becomes a member of the Emperor's bodyguard, a Vaering. In Miklagardur he meets Harald Hårdråde (known as Hardraade in the West), and decides to travel with him to Norway.

In the end of the campaign, the two brothers encounter each other on the shores of the River Derwent, where the Battle of Stamford Bridge take place. One fight for Norway, one fight for England. Who will perish, and who will live?

On data editing
Whether or not this will be the first campaign that will feature a modded AoK data file that hits the Blacksmith, this was certainly the first campaign that intented to take scenario designing to a higher level with the aid of such things as technology and graphics editing. To play this campaign, you will have to use a modded empires2_x1(_p1).dat file (found in the Age of Empires II/Data directory) which will be distributed together with the .cpx file.

All you'll have to do is to run an Install Wizard which will copy all necessary files to your system while backuping your old files and settings. When you want to uninstall Lightning and Thunder, just run the Uninstall Wizard and your old settings will be restored. Easy and absolutely bug free, as long as you read the readme.

[This message has been edited by oliver (edited 10-12-2006 @ 05:19 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-23-05 01:38 PM CT (US)     1 / 559  
Sounds great, good luck.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 09-23-05 02:36 PM CT (US)     2 / 559  
Hell yeah, this will own Oliver! I hope that I can still playtest, sorry if u got angry on me!

FÖR SVERIGE!

posted 09-23-05 03:22 PM CT (US)     3 / 559  
Hell, I'm bored. Perhaps, playtesting may re-ignite my interest in completing my own campaign. I'm available for playtesting, humour me if you please.
its_pulk@yahoo.co.in

Quote:

Walkable rocky terrain (like a heap of stone mines)

Heck, I'm using piles of stone in two things. One I won't reveal, but the other is about the same as yours. Only with more rocky eyecandy (tip: you can use sea rocks to represent rocky rivers in your rocky terrain).

dfgdfdfg

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
posted 09-23-05 03:33 PM CT (US)     4 / 559  
I've added the screenshots now. As long as you don't click the mapshot link, even dial-up users shouldn't have any problems watching them.

@Pulkit
*with dark and deceitful mod voice* Check your email.

@MoL
You haven't got the latest version. I'll send it to you via MSN in a near future.

posted 09-23-05 03:52 PM CT (US)     5 / 559  
Sounds increadibly good

- 1) when is this going to be completed? (Just estimation)

- 2) I completely argree, that every new submission should include something new. New tricks, completly new ideas, whatever. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion

-3) Please keep us updated on the progress!

__--**""**--__
''--______--''
¤
Peej the Saint ¤
Red Sox Fan ¤ Official Idea maker? ¤ What I've done ¤ "Thank you, and have a nice day"¤ Eso- Peej_the_Saint
posted 09-23-05 04:18 PM CT (US)     6 / 559  
I wouldn't have the time to playtest, sorry.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 09-24-05 05:32 AM CT (US)     7 / 559  
It'll be finished before 2006. That is the best assumption I can do. Progress is pretty quick, though, so don't be surprised if I finish it earlier.

@Pulkit
Please let me know if you've got the file. I don't trust gmail for a second.

posted 09-24-05 05:53 AM CT (US)     8 / 559  
Msn oliver, msn!
posted 09-24-05 06:42 AM CT (US)     9 / 559  
This sounds excellent, Oliver. Looking forward to this one, most definitely.
posted 09-24-05 12:59 PM CT (US)     10 / 559  
Ach, your story sounds similar to one I've been planning ready for AoE3 . The gameplay on mine will probably be completely different to yours so it doesn't really matter, anyway.

I would be happy to test (yes, I have my new copy of AoK now ). Drop me an email to nathan underscore wells at hotmail dot co dot uk (with the correct symbols replacing the words, obviously ). Alternatively, I think I have your MSN, but I'm not sure...

_____•--« ÑÅTHßÉRT »--•_____
•--«¯¯¯¯¯RIP Woad Creations, RIP Shiva.¯¯¯¯¯»--•
«==========‡==========»
posted 09-24-05 01:15 PM CT (US)     11 / 559  
Wow, this is great!
posted 09-24-05 02:25 PM CT (US)     12 / 559  
Ah, so that's you nathbert in my msn list! I suspected that it was you, but I didn't ask since I thought it would be dumb to start a conversation with: "um... who are you?".

Anyway, I'm sending you a copy to your email this instant. I'm especially curious about the balance issue. I've balanced it so most people can finish 'standard' without save/load. 'Moderate' demands more skill, but anyone familiar to flushing should be able to finish this within one, two or three tries. 'Hard' should be a real challenge, both in b&d and FF.

posted 09-24-05 04:25 PM CT (US)     13 / 559  
Interesting to see you use those AoE shallow tiles in the swamps, you think they work though?
posted 09-25-05 07:47 AM CT (US)     14 / 559  
I'll play it today, Ollie. Cheers .

«==========‡==========»
posted 09-25-05 08:23 AM CT (US)     15 / 559  
Good luck, it sounds wonderous.

I'll playtest for you as well and will help in any way possible.

aznops@bellsouth.net

Email me at aznops@bellsouth.net and I'll be glad to test your scenarios for you.
Vendetta of Alexis - 80% Finished
Kitabatake, Warrior Rising - 2% Finished
posted 09-25-05 02:33 PM CT (US)     16 / 559  
@Nath
I've checked the big bug you encountered, and nothing happened to me. Everything worked just at it should. After the conversation, Ari and Godred walked away, and about 30 game seconds later, they were revealed a bit south of the meeting point. So I have no clue to what has happened to you. If you describe your way to the chief more precisely, we can hopefully find out what's causing this.
posted 09-25-05 04:15 PM CT (US)     17 / 559  
I can send you a screenie of when I marco poloed to see what happened, if you like.

The route I took was straight from the green to the orange camp, avoiding the sea tower on land. I came into the orange camp from the North.

«==========‡==========»
posted 09-26-05 03:15 AM CT (US)     18 / 559  
I have watched the screenshots now, and Ari did the right thing and walked to the river. The triggers are set so when Godred comes to the river, too, both he and Ari change ownership to player 1.

The first thing that came to my head - but which probably not causes the problem - was that the main characters had their standard icons. In the version I've got on my computer, they have different, "heroized" icons. I thought this data was in the empires2_x1.dat file, but obviously they're in the language files. I'll send them too now to be on the safe side...

The next thing that I thought of was that Godred was "blocked" by something the moment he was supposed to walk to the river. Sometimes these annoying bugs haunt the poor task object effect.

Anyway, I wish that this bug hasn't occured to the other playtesters, because there's tons of more events to happen in this scenario. If it has, then I must recode the triggers.

posted 09-26-05 08:07 AM CT (US)     19 / 559  
Maybe an orange unit walked in front of him the moment he was tasked? I'll extract the .scx and take a look at the triggers on my computer, and re-play the scenario to see if it happens again.

«==========‡==========»
posted 09-26-05 09:05 AM CT (US)     20 / 559  
'Kay, Nathan. I hope it works the next time, but I'll probably have to do a change anyway. Chances are this bug will appear again... just remember that if you play the scenario again, play it from the campaign or the necessary AI:s won't be avaible.

@Ksrugi
Sorry for the delay, I'm sending you a copy now... please tell me when you've got the file.

[This message has been edited by Oliver (edited 09-26-2005 @ 09:06 AM).]

posted 09-26-05 09:26 AM CT (US)     21 / 559  
Just played it again - everything worked fine. It must have been someone walking in the way the first time around. Anywho, I'll send you some more feedback on the rest of the scenario.

«==========‡==========»
posted 09-28-05 03:03 PM CT (US)     22 / 559  
If anybody cares, I've found some new units within the graphics data not featured in the editor, and I've decided to use them in my campaign. With some hex editing, I've replaced cavaliers and paladins with these new horse units. Hope you like 'em, they move and fight and die in sweet symphony. This is not made by any kind of modpack. Pure data editing.

That pic is btw from the next part of the campaign, "Lightning", which I started to work on today. Hope you like the map design. If any one wants to playtest the first scenario, "Thunder", just drop your email. I would like to see as many good playtesters as possible testing my campaign. I'll keep y'all updated as the project strolls ahead.

EDIT - Oh yes, I found new cactuses too. You see, ES made 6 frames with cactuses, but only 4 were for some reason featured in the editor. You can spot one of the new cactuses somewhere on the screenie, but I'm not telling where.

[This message has been edited by Oliver (edited 09-28-2005 @ 03:05 PM).]

posted 09-28-05 05:48 PM CT (US)     23 / 559  
How remarkable, well done Oliver. Does this mean that those cavalry units have been hidden away for 6+ years and you're the first person to discover them?
posted 09-28-05 05:54 PM CT (US)     24 / 559  
Sweet!

Maybe you've found these two units too?

Anyway, hopefully you can access them using the Hex editing.

Edit:
Hi Stephen! The units have been seen (known) for a relatively long time in MPS, only I believe Oliver is the first one to access them through Hex editing, and making them available in a form other than a Mod-Pack.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 09-28-2005 @ 06:00 PM).]

posted 09-28-05 06:03 PM CT (US)     25 / 559  
It's all coming out now! How many more of these oddities are there? Is the process of extracting them via hex editing one which can be explained in simple terms?
posted 09-29-05 03:23 AM CT (US)     26 / 559  
Yes, Ana, I've seen that guy with the kite shield, too. I was actually thinking of using him too. IIRC he doesn't attack with his sword, only protects himself with the shield. If you turn off his attack, he could be some kind of messenger from the byzantine empire, who will not fight for you but who will defend himself if attacked.

@Stephen
*counts tricks written down on list next to computer* 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... no really, there is an amazing lot of things you can do with hex editing, especially with the graphics. The process is simple in theory, but there appears to be so many exceptions it's rather experience than previous knowledge that teaches you how to do the trick.

posted 09-29-05 07:18 AM CT (US)     27 / 559  
How did you get those units??

Also, what are they called!

__--**""**--__
''--______--''
¤
Peej the Saint ¤
Red Sox Fan ¤ Official Idea maker? ¤ What I've done ¤ "Thank you, and have a nice day"¤ Eso- Peej_the_Saint
posted 09-29-05 10:15 AM CT (US)     28 / 559  
Peej, they are not avaible as units, not even if you unlock every unit in GeniEd. ES only made the graphics, but never used them in any unit. I've changed the graphics of the paladins and the cavaliers (and the knights too, actually, because I found another set of unused graphics today ) to this old graphics, alpha I believe. If you want them, and if you want everyone else to have them, you'll have to use and distribute a dat file, about 950 kb big, which is what I intend to do with this campaign.
posted 09-29-05 03:06 PM CT (US)     29 / 559  
That's some good eyecandy

Edit: Oh wow, more discoveries even after 6 years!

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 09-29-2005 @ 03:09 PM).]

posted 09-30-05 10:08 AM CT (US)     30 / 559  
Alright, I've decided to post a link to a teaser with the opening cutscene. Maybe this will boost the interest in this project...

Link -- 2,7 megs

posted 09-30-05 12:21 PM CT (US)     31 / 559  
This sounds great, I should of checked on this sooner.

So if I can test: aokhwildcard@gmail.com

or link to the file, whatever .

posted 10-05-05 05:34 PM CT (US)     32 / 559  
Nice shots!

I've received the new files and will send a play test report soon.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 10-05-05 05:55 PM CT (US)     33 / 559  
Oliver, look at the tsunami forums.
posted 10-05-05 08:51 PM CT (US)     34 / 559  
Maybe you can clear something up for me, Just in terms of replacing the grafics of the units. Whats the diffrence between using the Modpack studio and hex Editing.

I remeber playing around replacing the grafics to get better looking knights and things with the MPS but it come out buggy because each unit had diffrent ammounts of frames.
This might be a stupid question, My knollege of modding is very poor.

This campain is looking awesome, I cant wait to see it, seems like a breakthrough campain with its clouds and rain.

posted 10-06-05 04:03 AM CT (US)     35 / 559  
*blushes* The news?! Ana, I hope you realize that my ego has increased by approximately 310 %, along with my determination to make this project even better than before. Oh my... you even quoted me.... *is overcome by gratitude* I'll do the cooking on sunday, Ana, I promise.... *sniff*

Anyway, back on topic, I've just responded to your message Gaspar, and the bugs you've mentioned have (hopefully) been fixed. However, I'm not changing the balance yet in any aspect, mostly because I want to know of my other playtesters' experiences first.

And Ana, would you like to receive the new bug-fixed version, or do you want to continue playtesting on the version you've got now while aware of the bugs mentioned?

Quote:

Maybe you can clear something up for me, Just in terms of replacing the grafics of the units. Whats the diffrence between using the Modpack studio and hex Editing.

When working with hex editing, you can also mod the number of angles and frames assigned to a unit. You don't have to use MPS other than as a reference. Plus, you can make almost infinite changes while the filesize of the hexed .dat file remains constant.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 16  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: 'Lightning and Thunder'
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames