Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Playable Age of Kings beta is Finally Here + Version History:
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-07-06 06:30 AM CT (US)   
This page has been dedicated to the Beta & Alpha versions of Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings.

The Age of Kings Alpha/Beta Images Archive proudly opens it's doors
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=3&tn=36353&st=recent&f=3,36353,0,5
Please, upload your images in the archive, that you have found from the alpha or beta version from this game!

If, everything goes well, this page will grow, and grow.
It's my destiny to make the game playable for all others interrested in this game, so that the people can get a real-life experience of the beta stages of the game.

The follwing Beta versions Are playable, known, and downloadable:
version: 00.97.09.07.0222
language: Russian

Download link game files part 1:
Description: These are the bulk of the files necessary for the beta version of AoK. The graphics files are in the second part, and these are mainly the files one would need to make the game playable, which it is. The language files are in Russian, however that is easily fixed.
You will be needing WinRAR to decompress it, and it can all be extracted to any folder you like.
Version: beta Filesize: 44.78 MB
source: Whisper.net (Shadowflare's website)
Link: http://thewhisper.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1

Download link game files part 2:
Description: These the graphics and other data files needed to complete the installation. The files are useful to modders who wish to extract the old beta graphics.
Extract these into the same folder as you put the first part, and the game can then run without trouble.
Version: beta Filesize: 52.29 MB
Link: http://thewhisper.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=2

Download link game files part 3:
These files make the game playable, and in enlish language.
Password: populous
Link: http://www.savefile.com/projects2.php?fid=8865151&pid=936375
Current versions:

1.00 - 1.C:
These are the normal versions, with minor updates.
Version 1.C, the latest patched version is the best one, with updated game funtions:
Availability:
> Official version (1.00): a bit dificult.
> Patched versions (1.A - 1.C): normal

Unknown:
Pre-Official:
This version has still the command button functions, and units from the beta's, but all icons, many graphics are nearly complete.
Availability:
Very Rare (Currently no download link available)

Uknown:
Improved Beta:
this version looks like the older beta's, but there are still many objects that look like the same as the normal AoK. many icons, and interface controls have a better look, that older beta's.
Availability:
extremly rare (Currently no download link available)

Beta: 00.97.09.07.0222:
This version is the only version available for download above here.
The game has a very cheap interface buttons set, and the complete source code looks like the one of the older age of empires 1. Almost every object has it's beta look.
Walls, gates, villagers, many trees, bamboo, fishes, and some other things look still like the current versions of AoK.
---
The older versions are unknown for us.
if all people on AoK heaven support this research in search for the lost beta's, we will get a much bigger chance to get a new beta.
I suggest people to search not only with google, but with other searching machines to, because the width of the search action will be more effective.

Any screenshot, image, documentation is welcome.

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-11-2006 @ 07:13 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-07-06 07:17 AM CT (US)     1 / 71  
posted 03-07-06 12:02 PM CT (US)     2 / 71  
Wow very nice. The ship looks awesome.
posted 03-07-06 12:24 PM CT (US)     3 / 71  
qote: "I'm the the first unlocker of the world that haves the AoK beta No-CD Patched!!!!!!!!!"
How do I get it NO-CD Patched?? Can you mail me the patch? And btw I can't download the "game files part three"!
posted 03-07-06 02:02 PM CT (US)     4 / 71  

Quote:

http://www.simplygames.com/screenshots.asp?id=2857&ssid=1244&format=0

You are aware that these screenshots (only) apply for the PlayStation 2 version of AoK, aren't you?

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
Staff Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
Visit the TreeTop Productions Blog!

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 03-07-2006 @ 02:03 PM).]

posted 03-08-06 08:31 AM CT (US)     5 / 71  
Look in the topic to this...
Download link game files part 3:
These files make the game playable, and in enlish language.
Link: http://www.savefile.com/projects2.php?fid=8865151&pid=936375
posted 03-08-06 08:33 AM CT (US)     6 / 71  
@Map_maker_tester
check your hotmail.
posted 03-08-06 08:36 AM CT (US)     7 / 71  
Hey no double posting just edit it
posted 03-08-06 08:44 AM CT (US)     8 / 71  
Don't Bolt!
I can understand it.
posted 03-08-06 09:11 AM CT (US)     9 / 71  
[JPEG, (404.36 KB)]

In this picture you can see an earlier version oj the Janisarry unit. , not much but still.

Woah, an old AoE site: http://artho.com/age/files/index.html

[This message has been edited by WildCardDoW (edited 03-08-2006 @ 09:22 AM).]

posted 03-08-06 10:43 AM CT (US)     10 / 71  
It's a shame that the beta lags as hell and that not everything is translated to English...

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
posted 03-08-06 10:44 AM CT (US)     11 / 71  
Do I have a hotmail?????
posted 03-08-06 12:49 PM CT (US)     12 / 71  

Quote:

How do I get it NO-CD Patched??

It's a bad idea to ask for No-CD patches and other hacks/cracks here. It's against the Code of Conduct.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 03-08-06 12:55 PM CT (US)     13 / 71  
I dunno isnce I think he asked for the beta NO CD-PATCH, a no cd patch for a beta version is that wrong? , I'm confused by the whole thing.
posted 03-08-06 02:02 PM CT (US)     14 / 71  
Well, I said it because I wasn't sure if the cd for the "original" version would work for the beta! Therefore I asked for a nocd crack! And btw I know it's against the code of conduct.
And Ancient, I have checked my hotmail. And there is nothing there. As I knew, because I haven't given anyone here my hotmail adress!

Edit: One more thing, IT DOESN'T WORK. Is it because of my operating system or because I have put it in the wrong folder?!?!?!

[This message has been edited by Map_maker_tester (edited 03-08-2006 @ 02:18 PM).]

posted 03-08-06 02:22 PM CT (US)     15 / 71  
You've got to replace the EmpiresII.exe and the language.dll from the savefile download (the third download), with the EmpiresII.exe and language.dll that are already present in the folder (the first download).

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
posted 03-08-06 05:35 PM CT (US)     16 / 71  
I did that, but should I replace the exe. and dll. files from the original game or is the downloaded a fullworthy game itself?? Btw, I know I'm quite a noob!
posted 03-08-06 05:44 PM CT (US)     17 / 71  
Not for the original game! The Beta!

Download the beta as described above (part 1, part 2 and part 3). Unzip them all. Part 2 holds the 'Data' folder, put that one in the unzipped Part 1 folder. Now replace the EmpiresII.exe and the language.dll from part 3 with the ones present in the part 1 folder. Click on the EmpiresII.exe and the Beta version of AoK starts.

I hope this helps, if not ask again.

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
posted 03-09-06 07:07 AM CT (US)     18 / 71  
@ Map_maker_tester:
Whoops! I have send it to Oliver instead of you, that explains his message.

About those 2 links given to me some replies back:
I know that old AoE site. A good resource, but I think it's no longer updated.
And that image looks nice.

Don't ask me how, but I succeeded to get the .slp of the Blacksmith of the PRE-ALPHA! version.
A extremely rare resource.
I think that i'm going to upload it here.

All other images are welcome here, that show stuff of the beta version!
----
Mystery: Why do have beta jannisary's bows, instead of "guns".

Repeated:
All beta stuff is welcome.
It heaven't to be a very clear, but readable image.

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 03-09-2006 @ 07:08 AM).]

posted 03-09-06 08:31 AM CT (US)     19 / 71  
I have done it exactly that way, but when I start it up I get the usual windows error. Age of Empires II has encountered a problem, and needs to be shut down. And you choose wether or not to send in a report!

Proud AOKH'er.

Creator of the PbP book. Check it out at www.serentine.blogspot.com
posted 03-09-06 12:28 PM CT (US)     20 / 71  
1 Step closer to making a beta Graphic conversion

BTW, Those Wooden walls own!

. : T h e  T r e b u c h e t : .
    Member since 10/10/04
    Creator of the best Splash Splash ever
    SS XXIV - The Takeover
    --=---~--=-=---~-=--
"The turtles can only do so much dancing before they get tired. Then they go back in the box." -Luke M
posted 03-10-06 05:31 AM CT (US)     21 / 71  
Are you sure that you have installed all files?!
And: If I was smart, never send that report, because you can be tracked down, if miscrosoft detects, that the game isn't orriginal, I even don't know, if they do something about such little form of piracy.

Try in your next message to write down all texts that was showed by this problem.
maybe, I can help you, since I know much about the computer systems.

posted 03-10-06 09:22 AM CT (US)     22 / 71  
Hey guys!
I found a screenshot of the Alpha version of the Game!
I think, that most people more like the older design, than the new one.
In my oppinion, ES destroyed the game!
Oh.. Here's a better one!

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 03-10-2006 @ 09:36 AM).]

posted 03-10-06 12:21 PM CT (US)     23 / 71  
Wow! Pretty impressive A_W! But IMO, the official graphics looks better...

___~ Super Cell 51 ~___
"Live every day as though it was your last."
JESUS SAVES!
posted 03-10-06 12:23 PM CT (US)     24 / 71  
I must say, this beta was a pleasant surprise. It works like a charm on my computer; maybe I should abandon you all and start designing for the beta?

I'm going to be honest with you, AW: I've always considered your behaviour here as somewhat n00bish, but your latest discoveries have impressed me a lot.

EDIT - I have abandoned you.

[This message has been edited by Oliver (edited 03-10-2006 @ 01:10 PM).]

posted 03-10-06 10:31 PM CT (US)     25 / 71  
Nice, but you really can't compare the full version of AoK's graphics with the alpha's. One is more cartoon-ish, one is more real.

me
posted 03-11-06 05:29 PM CT (US)     26 / 71  
Ah, the lovely things you can find with hours and hours of googling. The last few months I've been gathering beta shots of both the AoE and AoK beta, I found really interesting stuff so far, have a look

The original beta2 cd cover.

[JPEG, (102.46 KB)]

Very old AoK alpha shots, too bad that nasty gamespot copyright thingy is on them.

Some other screenies:

[JPEG, (145.09 KB)]

[JPEG, (124.83 KB)]

[JPEG, (123.84 KB)]

This one has very beautiful water, but could be a fake:

[JPEG, (73.02 KB)]

[JPEG, (243.13 KB)]

[JPEG, (247.25 KB)]

[JPEG, (62.25 KB)]

I love this screenshot! It features a beta bong, 3 different beta mountains, and a beta blue lotus (!) :

[JPEG, (95.56 KB)]

And lastly, some cool beta renders:

[JPEG, (71.89 KB)]

[JPEG, (129.30 KB)]

posted 03-11-06 06:07 PM CT (US)     27 / 71  
Before I waste my time tackling that 100Mb+ monster, I want to know if this version can either 1. replace current AOK graphic files and 2. replace graphics in Conquerors and still work.
posted 03-12-06 00:24 AM CT (US)     28 / 71  
It can't, you run it seperately.

me
posted 03-14-06 03:59 AM CT (US)     29 / 71  
Hey Phatfish:
Did you know, that you did something big for me?
I LoVe those screenshots.
I'm using very advanced pallette conversion, image resizer, and brushing tools, for converting buildings on those pictures to .slp's.
I have already finisht one. Looks goood!

Can you give me the adrresses, where you found this stuff?!

I would realy appreciate it if you AND OTHER USERS SEND every single screenshot of the beta's\alpha's you can find.!!
----------
@PHATFISH:
Quoted from: (The image that seems to have beatifull water)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/phatfish/rend_asian_town.jpg
Answer:
Actuallly, you found one of the oldest pictures of this game!
It isn't fake, but maybe the oldest ever posted.
-------------
@ALL:
Feel free to visit the shadow topic of this topic.
In this topic, you can post all materials about the alpha / beta versions of AoE2: The Age of Kings.:
-----
Images I have found: (Try search the name: AoE2)
[JPEG, (321.73 KB)]
[JPEG, (110.91 KB)]
[JPEG, (113.73 KB)]
[JPEG, (111.02 KB)]
[JPEG, (107.33 KB)]

[JPEG, (259.27 KB)]

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 03-14-2006 @ 08:16 AM).]

posted 03-14-06 08:42 AM CT (US)     30 / 71  
Post in this topic any usefull image, animation or hatelse you can find of the Age of Kings Alpha/beta version:
http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,36353,,5
posted 03-15-06 10:15 AM CT (US)     31 / 71  
One reason they probaly didn't stay with the beta version is because of money.

Ack!
posted 03-16-06 02:31 AM CT (US)     32 / 71  
Maybe I'm just complaining, maybe it's nothing, really, maybe I'm just arrogant, but it pisses me off when I provide a maybe non really-much playable beta by uploading it to a server (though that guy transferred it to that spire site) all tend to forget to name the source of the beta... nah, maybe it's just my whining...

Anyway, as far as I understand... you try to make from the beta... what?

posted 03-16-06 08:18 AM CT (US)     33 / 71  
@ Farlander:
---
Quoted from:
Maybe I'm just complaining, maybe it's nothing, really, maybe I'm just arrogant, but it pisses me off when I provide a maybe non really-much playable beta by uploading it to a server (though that guy transferred it to that spire site) all tend to forget to name the source of the beta... nah, maybe it's just my whining...
Anyway, as far as I understand... you try to make from the beta... what?
---
> You aren't complaining at all. I can imagine it. Uploading a game, that YOU even can't play. But don't worry. One of my friends at home is a good expert in removing game CD protections. Including yours. as you can see in my signature, I also unlocked the russian beta. You can download the no-cd patched game here in my topic, check the given links. Note: The third download link may be slow, but works.
> I have now collected images, and slp's from the internet of the ALPHA VERSION of the game.
If the graphics in the image below match with the ones of yours, please tell it.
Image: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garden/6419/aoe2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 03-16-2006 @ 08:22 AM).]

posted 03-16-06 08:31 AM CT (US)     34 / 71  
@AW

Farlander was absolutely complaining and asking you to name the source. He also raised a good question that I wanted to ask long ago - how does the beta version get related to SD anyway?

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 03-16-2006 @ 08:33 AM).]

posted 03-16-06 08:44 AM CT (US)     35 / 71  
Maybe, did I forget it, but the beta comes from Shadowflare of Course, and the NO-CD patched .exe from me.
And what do you mean with SD?!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Playable Age of Kings beta is Finally Here + Version History:
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames