« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03-21-06 05:17 PM CT (US)   

PROGRESS: 10%

U P D A T E L O G
=========================================
UPDATE 4/23/06:
-Finally completed King of the Hill!!
-I am motivated now.. ^_^
-Starting to work on the other game types.

UPDATE 4/14/06:
-Started project again
-Still working on completing King of the Hill settings
-I need motivation to start working on this again!! ^_^

UPDATE 3/29/06:
-Completed triggers for King of the Hill settings.
-Changed map size to a smaller one
-about 5% overall complete
-Added terrain and a mapshot to the thread
-Fixed some triggers, added a hill bonus
-Added Eyecandy and walkable cliffs to make it feel more like Blood Gulch

Currently working on: Fixing the KoTH game type.. dang its complicated.

UPDATE 3/21/06:
Progress is about 2% now.. Plus, I added screenshots!! So take a look!
=========================================

My goal is to make this a unique but fun to play blood map. It will be slightly based off the Halo video game for Xbox. The only things similar to the actual game will be the different game types and weapon selection.

GAME TYPES:
-Slayer
-Team Slayer
-King of the Hill
-Neutral Flag
-Team Neutral Flag
-Team Capture the Flag
-Protect the One (lose your hero and you die)
FEATURES:
-FAST paced blood action!
-Bonuses: Razings and kills
-A middle hill w/ hp and attack bonus that can be turned on or off
-TWO different unit lines (Archers -or- Direct combat)
-Eyecandy and terrain that is similar to Blood Gulch including walkable cliffs
-MANY host options, such as short game or long game
-Host can choose how many kills (upgrades) everyone starts out with
-Eyecandy booter, lag booter
-A mini-store to buy upgrades and other things
-A weapon selection system. I.e: shotgun raises attack for every unit
-Buy more weapons at mini-store
-Gain gold by staying in middle and with kills/razings
-AND MUCH MORE!

Current To-Do-List: (roughly in order of priority)
-Finish up the other game types
-Finish kill upgrades for both unit lines
-Create the weapon switching system
-Create the mini-store

Slayer & Team Slayer
Each player or team must reach a certain amount of kills in this game to win. In team slayer, the amount of kills will be added together (using a flag system). The host will be able to choose how many kills it takes to end the game.

King of the Hill
This game, IMO, will be the best (because this was the first game type I thought of). Basically, a player must control the center hill for a certain amount of time to win the game. Sounds simple, but gets more complicated. Only one person can control the hill at one time. Meaning, the first person to reach the hill controls it, and until he has no units left on the hill, he will continue to control it. Once he is killed, the person who is in the hill controls the hill, etc. There is a timer that keeps track of how long each player stays in the hill. Host will be able to choose how long a player must stay in the hill to win.

Neutral Flag & Team Neutral Flag
In this game, there is one "Neutral Flag" in the middle, and people must attempt to capture it and keep it at their base for a select amount of time. After a person or team reaches the winning score, they win! This is different from Capture the Flag in that all you have to do is place a unit in the middle of the hill where the flag is to get the flag at their base.

Capture the Flag
A relic in the middle of the map will be the "Flag." Every player gets 1 respawning monk. The concept of the game is that each team must work together to bring the relic back to their base to score. Because a monk can be killed easily, they must use their forces wisely to protect it.

Protect The One
In this game, your hero starts out with more hp and attack power. For kill bonuses, your hero will get extra hp+attack. Obviously, you must protect your hero in this game to win. =P

Beta Screenshots
Game Type | KotH Settings | P1 Base
Mapshot

Note: This is just a thread where I can post updates and screenshots in...

I used to drive home after getting drunk, but I had to stop after some moms got "MA-D-D."
================================
I'm not gay, I just really love rainbows.
===== Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't. =====

[This message has been edited by sharrkmaster (edited 04-23-2006 @ 06:42 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-21-06 05:24 PM CT (US)     1 / 77  
Interesting idea, but requires a massive amount of triggers, which MAY provide MASSIVE amounts of gameplay.

So I guess you'd have a king or something at the beginning, and you step on a flag for X game type?

posted 03-21-06 05:31 PM CT (US)     2 / 77  
Yes, exactly. I have made it so the host chooses each setting, after which the game starts. There won't be that many triggers involved with each game setting, only a couple (the victory settings). The rest of the game will involve massive amounts of triggering.. =P

I used to drive home after getting drunk, but I had to stop after some moms got "MA-D-D."
posted 03-21-06 05:43 PM CT (US)     3 / 77  
Well the difference between a flat out killing spree, a team killing spree, and a flag carrying game. How do you plan to act out the flag carrying? A relic?
posted 03-21-06 05:49 PM CT (US)     4 / 77  
All right, I'll expand on each game type, so everyone will understand.

Slayer & Team Slayer
Each player or team must reach a certain amount of kills in this game to win. In team slayer, the amount of kills will be added together (using a flag system). The host will be able to choose how many kills it takes to end the game.

King of the Hill
This game, IMO, will be the best (because this was the first game type I thought of). Basically, a player must control the center hill for a certain amount of time to win the game. Sounds simple, but gets more complicated. Only one person can control the hill at one time. Meaning, the first person to reach the hill controls it, and until he has no units left on the hill, he will continue to control it. Once he is killed, the person who is in the hill controls the hill, etc. There is a timer that keeps track of how long each player stays in the hill.

Neutral Flag & Team Neutral Flag
I thought about making a unit hold a flag, but decided that it would be way too complicated... So instead, there will be one "neutral" flag in the middle, and the first player to reach it will have a flag spawn in their base. They must control it for 5 minutes to score. In team neutral flag, a separate team base will be available. Host will be able to choose the number of points needed to win.

Thanks for your interest!

posted 03-21-06 05:54 PM CT (US)     5 / 77  
Hey, Sharrky's back!

A relic would make sense, so you had to use a monk.

Aww, crap. sharrky beat me.

Signature Pending.
posted 03-21-06 05:56 PM CT (US)     6 / 77  
Hmm.. though that would work, also. I wonder if a monk would really last that long in the field though.. but that would be the interesting part, wouldnt it?

posted 03-21-06 06:53 PM CT (US)     7 / 77  
Look like you have some good ideas here. Although, I'm curious how you'll go about doing some of the games. I could see how you'd do the normal Slayer (Just doing a kill ratio). But for team Slayer, how would you keep track of the kills? (I might be able to come up with two ways, but they'd be pretty tedious in trigger work). Then, there's the timing issue with KotH and CtF. Unless they have to hold the hill for a straight amount of time, I could only see one or two ways to do it (Which, would once again, be tedious trigger work)

Anyways, it looks like it will turn out looking pretty well.

--X--Clive Barker's--X--

~*~Books Of Blood~*~

posted 03-21-06 08:29 PM CT (US)     8 / 77  
Well, the only rational way to keep track of the kills in Team Slayer seems to be to use flags to keep track of small intervals, perhaps 50 or even 100. So everytime someone gets 50 kills, a flag would get added to a team score.

KotH I'm still working on getting it perfect.. Neutral Flag shouldn't be that hard to work out.

posted 03-21-06 08:32 PM CT (US)     9 / 77  
I'm not a fan of blood maps but that one looks very interesting!
posted 03-21-06 09:11 PM CT (US)     10 / 77  
Okay, for some strange reason, the AoC editor won't let me do negative tributes at all! And thats a very important part of my scenario.. It worked fine for AoK, but now, even if I don't ever look at the effect again, it'll go to red and revert the number back to 0. Any help?

posted 03-21-06 09:15 PM CT (US)     11 / 77  
Any negative number must be bigger than -1, or the trick doesn't work.
posted 03-21-06 09:32 PM CT (US)     12 / 77  
I have an idea for you Sharky, a better solution to this.

Condition: Accumulate Attribute Player 1: Kills 1
Effect: Player 1 Tribute Kills 1 (Use AOKTS for this part)
Effect: Tribute Player 1 to Gaia -2 Food
Effect ^^ P2 ^^
Effect ^^ P3 ^^
effect ^^ P4 ^^
Effect: Tribute 1 Food From P1 to gaia
Effect: Tribute 1 Food from P2 to gaia
Effect: ^^ P3
Effect: ^^ P4

Now for every kill you gain a food. Set a player to "Accumulate X food" then set it as a victory condition?

Assuming the teams are P1-4vrsp5-8 or something.

I use this in my RPG for party level ups. Kill ratio won't work, or you could just use kills in general if you don't have AOKTS to donate to everyone for a better team oriented game.

8 Triggers (assuming one for each player).

Plus 2 more for each team (since you really are just using the food to donate to show where you are as a team).

The two more would go like this:

Condition: P3 Accumulate Attribute X Food
Effect: P1 Tribute X food to gaia
Effect: P2 ^^
Effect: P3 ^^
Effect P4 ^^

With that said, good luck. I hope you use my idea, you can give me credit if you want, but I don't really care. Just don't say "I TOTALLY CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA, NO ONE ELSE DID!" That would just be mean.

[This message has been edited by SPrinkZ (edited 03-21-2006 @ 09:36 PM).]

posted 03-21-06 09:36 PM CT (US)     13 / 77  
Ah, I think using AoKTS would be a good idea for this... Let me check it out.

Edit: Thx Cesar, that's cleared up a lot of things.

[This message has been edited by sharrkmaster (edited 03-21-2006 @ 09:43 PM).]

posted 03-21-06 09:41 PM CT (US)     14 / 77  
Also you can use perhaps stone as an OVERALL kill counter, so the bonuses do not get interfered with. Or perhaps you can set a unit at 1 HP, then after that just keep adding 1 HP to him as a 'kill' counter. Another idea I am using in my RPG. Just trying to help.
posted 03-21-06 09:59 PM CT (US)     15 / 77  
Oooooh... I like this idea... Good luck with it

With CTF, why don't you have it so the flag is in a mini base, like just a palisade square with only 3 sides (So you can get in ) And the other player gaurds that flag... And when a unit from that team dies (FF Obviously) they respawn somewhere else, so you have to kill the defenders, get the flag, it respawns in your base, and the other team tries to take it back etc. etc. etc.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
posted 03-21-06 10:05 PM CT (US)     16 / 77  
Yeah, that's basically the idea that I have, except the flag is in the middle instead of a random base. I think that's basically what you have in mind. \

I'm gonna either do that, OR make it so the flag is actually a relic and each player has 1 respawning monk that they have to try to get the "flag" and take it back to their base before someone kills the monk. I'm not sure which way I'm gonna do it yet, though.

Progress update: King of the Hill settings and 90% of triggers complete! (by that I mean victory conditions and hill control etc... I still have to add in all the unit spawning triggers). Next on list: Slayer/Team Slayer, and then Neutral flag!

edit: Screenshots now available! More will be added as progress continues...

[This message has been edited by sharrkmaster (edited 03-21-2006 @ 10:06 PM).]

posted 03-21-06 11:16 PM CT (US)     17 / 77  
Looking pretty good... At the rate your going, this thread will be closed before 100 posts

EDIT: Because it'll be finished... Just wanted to clear that up before you think clossed as in clossed by a moderator lol

[This message has been edited by Dark_Reign (edited 03-22-2006 @ 00:36 AM).]

posted 03-22-06 01:43 AM CT (US)     18 / 77  
Wow man, good ideas.

me
posted 03-22-06 04:45 PM CT (US)     19 / 77  
Thanks you guys... Because of stupid biology projects (PLURAL!) I won't have as much time to work on this as I want.. oh well. I've been spending my free-time planning out the triggers and bonuses I'm going to use.

edit: Added simple banner and re-formatted topic post so it looks cooler.

[This message has been edited by sharrkmaster (edited 03-22-2006 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 03-22-06 07:00 PM CT (US)     20 / 77  
It looks sweet
good ideas SHARRKY
lol
posted 03-22-06 07:46 PM CT (US)     21 / 77  

Quote:

Wow man, good ideas.

I agree.

A quick suggestion. You might not want to make it so that the host has an entire 2 minutes for each option. Maybe 1 minute? Players might get aggrivated if the host goes slower then molasses. It's a small, nearly unnoticable addition to the game, but it might save a lot of ticked off players. I used to hate that when I played Warcraft III

--X--Clive Barker's--X--

~*~Books Of Blood~*~

posted 03-22-06 08:00 PM CT (US)     22 / 77  
Give the host 2 minutes to decide, otherwise you can use a 'random' option. Have an eagle warrior run up and down on a loop tasking on 4-5 squares, if 2 minutes are up (or he selects this option) depending upon which square he is on, it will activate that game type.

Might be a good thing to add into your arsenal of tricks.

posted 03-22-06 08:28 PM CT (US)     23 / 77  
Great idea, SPrinkz, I'll probably use that!

I'll also use the one minute idea, since 2 minutes is a bit long in AoE time.

posted 03-22-06 08:31 PM CT (US)     24 / 77  
Go for it, when this game is ready to test just find me on the zone, I go by: SprinkZ, you wouldn't have guessed huh? :P

I'm a good tester since I understand all of the triggers, and I am not another idiot just there for a game, I will observe all actions, and probably be able to figure out what happened, whether it be an unfinished trigger, or perhaps a looping trigger that causes an unfair advantage, etc.

posted 03-22-06 08:36 PM CT (US)     25 / 77  
All right. I'll add you to my ZoneFriends list. I better hurry up and get this game made..

posted 03-23-06 03:26 AM CT (US)     26 / 77  
Nah, don't rush... Make it as good as it can possibly be

posted 03-27-06 07:25 PM CT (US)     27 / 77  
A question: Is there a way to make a simple kill counter? Such as making a unit w/ 1 hp, and adding onto it for every kill, and then checking the amount of HP the unit has? I really don't want to work with flags, cuz that will take too many triggers. Advice will be good.

posted 03-27-06 08:49 PM CT (US)     28 / 77  
you could have a war elephant with- oh, you already said it. crap. I got the IP thing figured out. just got to check my IP.

Signature Pending.
posted 03-28-06 00:27 AM CT (US)     29 / 77  
There is a way to do that, but you need AOKTS version 3.3 beta, use it to:

Condition Accumulate Attribute: 1 Kills
Effect Tribute 1 Kills to Gaia [insert player here].

Loop it, and set it to boost a unit (MAKE SURE TO NOT LOOK AT THE LATTER EFFECT AKA The TRIBUTE KILLS), then you can make it give people perhaps food, or wood as a kill counter as well, or you can use the HP idea, which ever you want.

posted 03-28-06 02:10 PM CT (US)     30 / 77  
Thats an awesome idea. The only kill counter I can think of is the Kill Ratio = 1, Create then Kill a unit. But this way you cannot lose any units THE ENTIRE GAME. SPrinkZ's idea sounds great.

I also love the concept of this game, sharrky. Chalk me up to playtest if you ever need me. Even multiplayer playtesting (if you need to check and see if the triggers on players 2-8 work) I can do. It sounds really fun.

posted 03-28-06 04:42 PM CT (US)     31 / 77  
Thanks guys, but what I need is a way to check the amount of HP a unit has, if thats possible...

posted 03-28-06 05:01 PM CT (US)     32 / 77  
I doubt its possible. I have an idea for it, but it's a little out there, and requires a bit of time. But only a few triggers.
posted 03-28-06 05:24 PM CT (US)     33 / 77  
In that case, I'll just stick with the ole flag system, unless I can think of something better.

Actually, I think I just did!

posted 03-28-06 05:33 PM CT (US)     34 / 77  
Use resources off of gaia. Gaia's resources are untouchable by players and can be detected and managed in game without any additional tampering with the software.
posted 03-28-06 06:02 PM CT (US)     35 / 77  
Yeah, I thought about that, but only problem is you can only keep track of on player or team's score. Because I will be using food (to keep track of time), gold (for bonuses), and stone (for kills for each individual player), that leaves only wood.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Blood Gulch
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames