Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Introducing: The Invisibility Cloak
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 04-10-06 10:32 PM CT (US)   

Download Link

This is a trick I've been working on for a couple of weeks now. I was very surprised when I found out how many different things could be accomplished, just with this one method. With some help from some forumers such as, Ollie, AK, zyx, and of course DiGiT(AoKTS), I was able to find several uses for this one trick. But before I get into the trick and how it works, you might want here some of the effects you can achieve with this.

EFFECTS

Useful Effects:

• Make a "Hold Off Unit". Similar to doing a HOU with an Invisible Tile, but you don't have to worry about lag, or turning other units invisible by walking over it. And only explored LOS is given off, not real LOS.

• Create Fires on water. Yes, water!

• Create Fires on any land terrain.

• Create "re-named units" in-game!

• Create "re-named buildings" in-game!

• Have Villagers farm any land(including snow).

• Create any unit or building on any terrain in-game! Even create them on water.

Not-so-useful Effects:

• Select Mountains in-game.

Screenshots:

| Villager Farming on Snow | Fire on Grass 1 | Fire on Road | Fire on Water 1 | Hold Off Unit with Invisible Cloak |
| Created Building on Water |

METHODS

Basic Method of Cloaking:

All of these are done around the same simple concept. So simple, in fact, that I'm surprised that it's over looked. Well, simple for someone who uses AoKTS, atleast. All you have to do is garrison an object inside of it's self. Some of you might be thinking, that alone is a new trick. It's actually not that hard. Here are some instructions on how to garrison an object inside of it's self.

Step 1: Open AoKTS and Choose your scenario. From here go to the "Units" tab and select the unit you want to garrison inside it's self.

Screenshot

Step 2: Set the ID Number for that unit in the Garrison Box.

Screenshot

Step 3: Open your game notice that your object looks to be completley gone. It's not gone, it's just in the state that any other unit is when garrisoned in a building.

Note: It's a good idea to mark the object you make invisible with Dirt 1(or something else) so that you can find it later.

Note: Before I explain all of the methods to you, you should know that when a building is damaged enough, everything garrisoned inside of it will un-garrison. This is the key to most of the effects.

Also remember to do any triggers directed toward an object with Cloak on, before the object is Cloaked. <-- Very Important!

Method for Hold Off Unit:
Just place a horse in a corner of the map and put a Cloak on him.

Method for Fire on Water:
Create farm, put Cloak on it, then cover area around remaining farmland with water. Now cover that farmland with bridges, and remove them in-game. Now just damage the farm about 400 HP and you have fire on the water. (Best used for cutscenes, since the water above flame is walkable.

Method for Fire on any Land Terrain:

1. Place farm.
  2. Set trigger to damage farm(enough to catch on fire).
  3. Downsize to AoKTS.
  4. Cloak the farm.
  5. Re-load map in AoK.
  6. Cover the remain farmland with something(building, trees, etc).
  7. Test the map to see the fire on the terrain just below the remaining farmland.

Method for Re-Naming Buildings In-Game:

1. Place a Ram.
  2. Place the desired Building.
  3. Make a trigger to remove the ram when you want the building to appear.
  4. Make an effect to rename the building(if desired).
  5. Downsize to AoKTS.
  6. Garrison the building in the ram(should be right next to it on the list tot he left).
  7. Cloak the ram, by garrisoning it's self(see Basic Cloaking Method).
  8. Now return to AoK Editor and reload the scenario.
  9. The spot the ram and building were once in, is now empty. They're still there, just invisible.
  10. Done. Once the trigger to remove the ram is fired, the building will appear.

Method for Re-Naming Units Created In-Game:

1. Place a Ram.
  2. Place the desired Unit.
  3. Make a trigger to remove the ram when you want the unit to appear.
  4. Make an effect to rename the unit(if desired).
  5. Downsize to AoKTS.
  6. Garrison the unit in the ram(should be right next to it on the list tot he left).
  7. Cloak the ram, by garrisoning it's self(see Basic Cloaking Method).
  8. Now return to AoK Editor and reload the scenario.
  9. The spot the ram and unit were once in, is now empty. They're still there, just invisible.
  10. Done. Once the trigger, to remove the ram is fired, the unit will appear.

Method for Creating Units/Buildings on Water:
To make a building on water, all you have to do is Cloak a building, then damage it enough to un-garrison, then heal it. To make a unit on water, garrison a unit in a building, damage the building, then remove the building.

CREDITS

I'd like to give DiGiT a huge thanks for his program. Without AoKTS this trick could not exist. So of course, most of he credit for this trick goes to DiGiT and his wonderful AoKTS. Thanks.

I'd also like to credit Oliver for helping me find this in the first place. He may not have known it at the time, but he did.

Angel Anastasia also deserves some credtit for helping me with various different aspects of this trick(ram ).

! ! ! NEW DEVELOPMENTS ! ! !

Better way to do create re-named units:
I have some GREAT news. I'm so excited, I can hardly type. I was talking to Angel Anastasia and and she told me and idea. The idea was, to use a ram instead of a building(to create a re-named unit). I had already tried this before, but with no success. But I thought, since someone is asking about it, I should give it another try, and I did. At first I tried killing it to unload the object, but nothing. I tried killing it, because that's the only way a ram unloads a unit inside of it. Only buildings unload with damage. After a bit of frustration, I thought of "removing" the object. Once I tried it, I was amazed. It worked perfectly, with no icky flaming buildings appearing. You can create units in plain sight.

So from now on, use a ram, not a building.
Thanks Ana.

Walkable Cliffs "save" problem, has been fixed:
Yet another problem solved, with TIC. If you make some cliffs, put a building(barracks works best, only thing I've tested so far) on the cliff, cloak the building, and then just leave it alone. You now have a cliff that can be walked on, with out losing it due to saving.

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 05-21-2006 @ 05:44 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-10-06 10:35 PM CT (US)     1 / 239  
Brilliantly done! I've actually used the hold-off unit trick, though. I used a villager, and infintely tasked him. None of the other ideas that are posted have I used, though - I did not think of the myriad of possibilities. Ah, well there goes a secret that I was hoping to release myself. Nonetheless, great job, and very useful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 04-10-06 10:42 PM CT (US)     2 / 239  
Thanks, Shadow! I've actually spent quite a bit of time testing this. It was so hard for me to figure out how to unload a unit, but then once I found it, I thought it was actually pretty easy. I was just over looking it.

I'm pretty sure I have a couple more tricks involving this Cloak, but I can't think of them right now. I'll post them if I do.

dannyking.me

posted 04-10-06 10:48 PM CT (US)     3 / 239  
Nice if only i had the attention span....

@ I finally found out why your sig was like that.

posted 04-10-06 10:49 PM CT (US)     4 / 239  
They are quite creative. Some I know I could've thought of myself - damned school work and such! I'm looking forward to more finds, however.

EDIT - Any plans to submit this to the Tsuniversity?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[This message has been edited by SonicShadow (edited 04-10-2006 @ 10:50 PM).]

posted 04-10-06 10:51 PM CT (US)     5 / 239  

Quote:

@ I finally found out why your sig was like that.

My sig?

EDIT:

Quote:

EDIT - Any plans to submit this to the Tsuniversity?

Yes. I will be writing an article for the Tsuniversity.
You can expect more in the article too.

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 04-10-2006 @ 10:56 PM).]

posted 04-10-06 10:56 PM CT (US)     6 / 239  
Brilliant! This is quite an awsome job. SD will never be the same after this invention.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”
posted 04-10-06 10:56 PM CT (US)     7 / 239  
I saw a package of Ramen soup at wal-mart. 10 cents... hehehe...
posted 04-10-06 11:00 PM CT (US)     8 / 239  

Quoted from stc:

Brilliant! This is quite an awsome job. SD will never be the same after this invention.

Thanks stc! This means a lot coming from you.
I was actually thinking about emailing you this trick to help me with the "unloading" part, but then I figured it out.

Quoted from Indess:

I saw a package of Ramen soup at wal-mart. 10 cents... hehehe...

dannyking.me

posted 04-10-06 11:10 PM CT (US)     9 / 239  
Since you release such a big discovery, I think I have to hasten my latest research on something (not the building speed trigger) in order to catch up with you...

BTW, from the hawk explosion to invisible tile, from new objects to new triggers, and now to this invisible cloak...Time does fly.

Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
posted 04-10-06 11:24 PM CT (US)     10 / 239  
Ahhh, the classic days of design.

I remember it too well.

[/nostalgia]

Great find, nI.

posted 04-10-06 11:34 PM CT (US)     11 / 239  
Holy Moly!

Ana just thought of something INCREDIBLE! I thought of it before, but since she brought it up, I decided to try it again. I'm so excited!!!!!

Ok, instead of using a building, you can use a ram. Then just "remove" the ram, and the unit will appear right there, no strings attached! This allows the unit to be unload in plain sight, without looking wierd because a flaming building just popped up.

When I tried this before, I tried "killing" it. All you have to do is remove it. I will update the TP soon.

You are the best Ana! Thanks for the help.
Huge credit = Angel Anastasia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: It's finally here! The ultimate way to "create a re-named unit in-game"!

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 04-10-2006 @ 11:42 PM).]

posted 04-11-06 00:03 AM CT (US)     12 / 239  
Excellent discovery nI!

You deserve all the credit too! I was just confused enough by the new fangled approach to ask the question is all.

I'm proud to be on your team!

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 04-11-06 00:33 AM CT (US)     13 / 239  
Thanks Ana.
I just like giving credit, where credit is due.

Quote:

Gorsh.

dannyking.me

posted 04-11-06 01:01 AM CT (US)     14 / 239  
I put a barracks im a siege ram and...the map crashed

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Nixck (edited 04-11-2006 @ 01:02 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 01:03 AM CT (US)     15 / 239  
Did it crash in-game, in AoKTS, in editor...?

dannyking.me

posted 04-11-06 01:06 AM CT (US)     16 / 239  
when i tested map in game

helloworld
posted 04-11-06 01:19 AM CT (US)     17 / 239  
Hm. Let me try it, then I'll get back to you.

EDIT: It worked for me. Lemme get a picture of how it should look in AoKTS real quick.

EDIT2: Each of the unit's settings should look like this:

Just out of curiousity, what is this for?

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 04-11-2006 @ 01:25 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 02:01 AM CT (US)     18 / 239  
k i got it, but i have another unrelated problem

whenever i disable a tech on my map, i can still research it? its quite annoying

helloworld
posted 04-11-06 02:10 AM CT (US)     19 / 239  
I think stc is best to ask about that. IIRC, he made something about disabling techs. Or maybe it was DiGIT.

Sorry, I don't deal with disabling/enabling techs, much.

dannyking.me

posted 04-11-06 02:12 AM CT (US)     20 / 239  
man you used to be cool

helloworld
posted 04-11-06 02:15 AM CT (US)     21 / 239  
Um, sorry...?

dannyking.me

posted 04-11-06 02:19 AM CT (US)     22 / 239  
yea you better be sorry

hey can i send you another map to check out?

helloworld
posted 04-11-06 02:22 AM CT (US)     23 / 239  
Sure. I hope I'm cool enought for it.

dannyking.me

posted 04-11-06 02:35 AM CT (US)     24 / 239  
[Edited] i touched one of the hexed triggers =( cant send now

There is a no cursing rule in the SD forum. Find out more here, and thanks for your cooperation. - Anastasia

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-11-2006 @ 02:45 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 03:52 AM CT (US)     25 / 239  

Quote:

I'd also like to credit Oliver for helping me find this in the first place. He may not have known it at the time, but he did.

Hey! I did know...or did I? *pretends to have known it*

Quote:

Me too. After all I was the one who hired him... or did I? *pretends to have hired him although Ana took care of everything and all I did was putting up a Tsu article*

Great find nI, and what a quality post!

posted 04-11-06 06:41 AM CT (US)     26 / 239  
Good work nI.

Is there anything left to discover? Perhaps we should have a list for you clever people to work on.

posted 04-11-06 08:31 AM CT (US)     27 / 239  
Wow, I had no idea how great a find you had yesterday on MSN, great job...I'm looking forward to seeing your article at the Tsuniversity. Excellent find...

___~ Super Cell 51 ~___
"Live every day as though it was your last."
JESUS SAVES!
posted 04-11-06 08:52 AM CT (US)     28 / 239  
Thanks for the comments guys. Hey Ollie, do you think you can make that picture at top of Topic Post transparent for my? I tried matching the background, and probably could, but I'd just like it transparent.

EDIT:

Quote:

Perhaps we should have a list for you clever people to work on.

I was actually trying to solve the "create re-named unit in-game" problem, but the cliff trick came as a bonus.

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 04-11-2006 @ 09:35 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 10:55 AM CT (US)     29 / 239  
Congrats Danny! Excellent and useful find!

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
Staff Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
Visit the TreeTop Productions Blog!
posted 04-11-06 11:57 AM CT (US)     30 / 239  
Fantasmo!

Quote:

Is there anything left to discover?

Yup, there is. There's a little trick I've been keeping in secret since 2003... not that great, just something that can speed up designing a little...

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-11-2006 @ 11:59 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 12:21 PM CT (US)     31 / 239  
Out with it man!!!

"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
                            Kfish2oo2
                      -*'`^"^`'*- =~
    '*-=~+,._.,+                      `^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 04-11-06 12:41 PM CT (US)     32 / 239  
Reveal it now, or forever hold your pieces...[/subliminal message]

___~ Super Cell 51 ~___
"Live every day as though it was your last."
JESUS SAVES!
posted 04-11-06 12:55 PM CT (US)     33 / 239  

Quote:

Is there anything left to discover?

Sure. If you look into my sleeve, I assume you may find far many "hex-editing aces".

@Cesar Bernardi

Is that a water-related trick?

posted 04-11-06 01:03 PM CT (US)     34 / 239  
It concerns all kinds of terrains, but yes, I'll basically reveal how I've made the Wooden Gate Template (after 3 years of silence...).
posted 04-11-06 01:35 PM CT (US)     35 / 239  
@Cesar:

Quoted from kfish2oo2:

Out with it man!!!

"Luctor et emergo."

» Jeremiah
Staff Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
Visit the TreeTop Productions Blog!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Introducing: The Invisibility Cloak
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames