Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Sound Files FAQ
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 04-28-06 01:42 PM CT (US)   
Poll: Should this thread be stickied? Post your opinion here.

Now available at GenieWiki!

Due to a considerable amount of new threads involving questions on music and sound files that I've seen recently, I've decided to launch this thread.

Subjects covered:

1. How can I play music and/or sound effects in AOK/AOK:TC?
    2. How do I mute a sound that is still playing?
    3. In which folder are the sound files stored?
    4. How can I add new sounds into the sounds list?
    5. Where can I get new sound effects?
    6. What types of sound files can I use?
    7. Can I play music from a CD in AOK/AOK:TC?
    8. Whoa! MCrnigoj's music is awesome!!! I'm gonna use it!
    9. I've played a map in which there was a song from a CD in it! Isn't that ilegal?
    10. How can I make my own music?
    11. I know nothing on musical theory. Can someone make me some music?
    12. How do I edit sound files?
    13. When I set a file to play, it crashes the game. What is going on?!
    14. How do I change an audio file's extension into one that can be played in AOK?
    15. Where can I get medieval music?

Here we go:

Q1: How can I play music and/or sound effects in AOK/AOK:TC?

A1: There are three ways to do it: in the "Effects" trigger list, you can select "Play Sound", "Display Instructions" or "Send Chat".

Screenshot

Remember: never set the "Source Player" as GAIA. The sound file won't play. Use any other, preferably a human player (player 1 if you're not making a multiplayer).

Q1: How do I mute a sound that is still playing?

A2: Set a "Display Instructions" effect, select a sound. Then, on the instructions field, simply press the space bar a couple of times. Next set the display timer to 999999999999999, any huge number works. It also works if you erase the timer (don't put 0, leave it blank!) and never look at the effect again.
    The music will play. When you want it to stop, just set a new trigger with an effect "Clear Instructions".

Q3: In which folder are the sound files stored?

A3: The default sound files folder is:
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT GAMES\AGE OF EMPIRES 2\SOUND\SCENARIO
    In order to add new sounds into the sounds list, you need to put the files in that folder, or whatever folder you've stored AOK.

Q4: How can I add new sounds into the sounds list?

A4: Refer to A3.

Q5: Where can I get new sound effects?

A5: You could try:

www.findsounds.com
A Google-Like Engine.
www.sounddogs.com
Good for finding human voices and phrases.
MIDI Playback
Originally created by Ensemble Studios. Hosted by DGDN.
Sound Effects Categories
Also at DGDN, listed by categories.
Sound Effects
At my team's website, Imperial Creations.

Q6: What types of sound files can I use?

A6: *.mp3 and *.wav. Some computers also play MIDI files.

Q7: Can I play music from a CD in AOK/AOK:TC?

A7: Use an extractor to copy the song from your CD, and then put the song in the game sound folder.
    You could use:

CDex
Free Rip
EAC

Windows Media Player version 9 (or higher) allows you to extract songs from CDs, in *.wma format. You can change the format, however, by selecting TOOLS/OPTIONS/SELECT MUSIC.

Remember: It is ilegal to distribute copyrighted music, wether it is for profitable purposes or not.

Q8: Whoa! MCrnigoj's music is awesome!!! I'm gonna use it!

A8: It would be polite to ask for his permission first. Always ask for a designer's permission before using his/hers sound files.

Q9: I've played a map in which there was a song from a CD in it! Isn't that ilegal?

A9: Yes and no. Extracting a song from a CD you own and keeping it in your private computer is not ilegal. But sharing it is .

I must also remind you that:

Copyright infringement is a violation of federal law subject to criminal and civil penalties. HeavenGames (including its management team, staff and independent contractors) assumes no responsibility for the consequences resulting from the use of copyright materials for the purpose of scenario design.

Many individual scenario designers in the Age of Kings Heaven community have claimed that the use of copyrighted material for their scenario design hobby is in accordance with the Fair Use doctrine of the United States.

The file share features at the Age of Kings Heaven Blacksmith are such that it places the onus of responsibility on the individual registered members in regard to the sharing of files, and HeavenGames expressly disclaims all liability for damages of any kind arising out of their use. For additional information, please read the HeavenGames Disclaimer.

Q10: How can I make my own music?

A10: You can use programs to compose music. Some programs:

Guitar Pro
An easy-to-use program (for those who know musical theory), with over 127 instruments to work with. MIDI quality. Shareware.

Encore
Very similar to Guitar Pro. Also a shareware.

FruityLoops (no, it's not from Kellog's)
Hard to use. Focuses on writing loops, that can be played several times in a row. Theorically, it was created for makers of techno music, but due to the large amount of packs and plugins you can download, it becomes almost limitless. MIDI, VST/VSTi and DXi sound quality.
Also shareware.

KB Piano
Another music creator, with 225 musical patches (instruments). It focuses mainly on piano tracks.
Also shareware.

Note Worthy Software
Also shareware, MIDI quality. Very similar to Guitar Pro and Encore.

Q11: I know nothing on musical theory. Can someone make me some music?

A11: Try asking to the following forumers:

ibroberts@gmail.com
Colo the Great

I can't guarantee that your requests will be fulfilled. Those forumers have volunteered themselves to help people out, but I doubt that any of them would take "make me a song, pleeease!" requests as a top priority. But give it a shot, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Q12: How do I edit sound files?

A12: You can use some programs, there are several available on the web, but the greatest are:

Gold Wave
Powerful engine, used by lots of AOK designers and Flash makers. Shareware.
Sound Forge
From Sony. Also very powerful. Used as treatment for recordings in some studios. Shareware.

There is also ProTools (the greatest), but it is professional equipment for studios, and takes an entire computer fully dedicated to it to have it working at its maximum.

Q13: When I set a file to play, it crashes the game. What is going on?!

A13: Either the file is corrupted (probably by Windos Media Player 10) or it is not an actual mp3, but another file with a renamed extension. It also occasionally happens when you rename the file's name (not the extension), though it's rare.

Q14: How do I change an audio file's extension into one that can be played in AOK?

A14: DO NOT RENAME THE FILE'S EXTENSION MANUALLY! NEVER! Use:

dMC converter
(Extra codecs)

Q15: Where can I get medieval music?

A15: You could try:

The Internet Renaissance Band
But ask before using any songs.

Anyway, these are just some of the questions I've seen over and over again crawling these Forums. If anyone's willing to contribute by adding questions, answers, websites or any related content, feel free to post here.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 05-15-2006 @ 03:35 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-28-06 01:44 PM CT (US)     1 / 108  
Nice. Thanks very much. I've been wondering about this.

Eating breakfast is a good thing to do.
Unless it's poisoned; in which case it isn't.

Money is the root of all evil. Therefore it is my solemn duty to protect mankind by accumulating as much of it as possible, regardless of my personal safety.

posted 04-28-06 01:46 PM CT (US)     2 / 108  
I once tried to compose music with a fruitloops box...

The result was... Well.... I rather not talk about it.

. : T h e  T r e b u c h e t : .
    Member since 10/10/04
    Creator of the best Splash Splash ever
    SS XXIV - The Takeover
    --=---~--=-=---~-=--
"The turtles can only do so much dancing before they get tired. Then they go back in the box." -Luke M
posted 04-28-06 01:51 PM CT (US)     3 / 108  
Me and my friend both make music using fruity loops.. techno mainly .

-will.

Discworld Designer!
MY DESIGNS:-] 2002PTC Honourable mention, collaboration with Qazitory
Troll Bridge v1.3, Dragons Lair v1.1
Project Page
posted 04-28-06 01:54 PM CT (US)     4 / 108  
I would really appreciate if some mod would change the name of this thread to "The Sound Files FAQ"...

@ Trebuchet:
Regardless that I LMAO because of your post, no splashing here, please.

Also, I would like to know if it is of the interest of the community to sticky this thread.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-28-2006 @ 06:02 PM).]

posted 04-28-06 02:00 PM CT (US)     5 / 108  
I know another program to make music with, KB Piano.

Good job!

Hussarknight
posted 04-28-06 02:10 PM CT (US)     6 / 108  
Updated! New question added.
posted 04-28-06 03:07 PM CT (US)     7 / 108  

Quote:

I have played "Tamerlane, Prince of Destruction", and there's a Britney Spears song in it! Isn't that ilegal?

Wait, isn't everything associated with Britney Spears illegal?

Sorry, I know I shouldn't be online, but I just had to post that.

EDIT - I think this topic is too specific to be stickied, maybe we could add it to the Scenario Design FAQ?

[This message has been edited by Oliver (edited 04-28-2006 @ 03:09 PM).]

posted 04-28-06 03:10 PM CT (US)     8 / 108  
Sweet thread cesar...I think this should be stickied, but I guess its up to the mods...

OT: Ollie, you just can't stay away, huh? I know how you feel.

___~ Super Cell 51 ~___
"Live every day as though it was your last."
JESUS SAVES!
posted 04-28-06 03:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 108  
hobo could add a link to this thread.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 04-28-06 03:15 PM CT (US)     10 / 108  
I'm kind of a musician, I might have a go if anyone wants me to. Not making any promises though!

You know for some reason, any music I try to play (mp3) crashes the game.

Havsbrúgvin víđkast, lótiđ gerst kald, longsulin blíđkast, regn reinsar alt...
posted 04-28-06 03:27 PM CT (US)     11 / 108  
In one question, you said the default folder was C:/Program Files/Age of Empires 2/Sound/Scenario. That's wrong, its C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Empires 2/Sound/Scenario. I'm surprised no one else spotted this .

me

[This message has been edited by MeGaIdIoT (edited 04-28-2006 @ 03:28 PM).]

posted 04-28-06 04:32 PM CT (US)     12 / 108  
MIDI files also work on most computers.
posted 04-28-06 04:44 PM CT (US)     13 / 108  
Updated.

@ Huang Di Wei:

If a mp3 file crashes the game, then it's not an actual mp3 (renamed extension), or it is corrupted.

*edits topic post again*

Updated again. And I am a musician myself. I don't have time or patience to create songs for SDers...

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-28-2006 @ 04:48 PM).]

posted 04-29-06 03:06 AM CT (US)     14 / 108  

Quoted from Topic post:

Q9: I've played Oliver's "Teuton in Love", and he put a Led Zepelin song in it! Isn't that ilegal?

A9: The songs aren't being used for commercial/profitable purposes. Therefore, no.

Q10: I have played "Tamerlane, Prince of Destruction", and there's a Britney Spears song in it! Isn't that ilegal?

A10: Refer to A9.

I think you should make that one question instead of two.

Hussarknight
posted 04-29-06 02:12 PM CT (US)     15 / 108  
It doesn't make much of a difference, does it? Also, at first (before I launched the thread) it was only one question. I changed it into 2 questions merely for aesthetical purposes.
posted 04-29-06 02:48 PM CT (US)     16 / 108  
hey Cesar, thanks for telling me that. How do I "True MP3" it then?

Havsbrúgvin víđkast, lótiđ gerst kald, longsulin blíđkast, regn reinsar alt...
posted 04-29-06 07:52 PM CT (US)     17 / 108  
    Q15: How do I change an audio file's extension into one that can be played in AOK?

A15: DO NOT RENAME THE FILE'S EXTENSION MANUALLY! NEVER! Use:

dMC converter
Free!
(Extra codecs)

Hope that helps!

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-29-2006 @ 07:53 PM).]

posted 04-29-06 08:50 PM CT (US)     18 / 108  
Yo thanks, this helped me out alot, sort of haven't tried any of it yet thoguh but still it answers my question from sound files topic on page 2 or 3 whenever. Don't know.
posted 04-30-06 01:16 AM CT (US)     19 / 108  
Consider the title changed.

Quote:

Q7: Can I play music from a CD in AOK/AOK:TC?
A7: Use an extractor to copy the song from your CD, and then put the song in the game sound folder.
You could use:
CDex
Free Rip

Why is EAC not on that list?

Quote:

Q9: I've played Oliver's "Teuton in Love", and he put a Led Zepelin song in it! Isn't that ilegal?
A9: The songs aren't being used for commercial/profitable purposes. Therefore, no.

Uh ... not quite?

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.
posted 04-30-06 12:13 PM CT (US)     20 / 108  
EAC was not on the list because I didn't know it existed .

Added.

EDIT - CC (or any other mod), is this thread worth of stickying?

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 04-30-2006 @ 08:04 PM).]

posted 04-30-06 09:20 PM CT (US)     21 / 108  
Wow, well done Cesar. This is very useful for people who don't know how to use sounds in their scens.
posted 04-30-06 09:33 PM CT (US)     22 / 108  
A good, much needed thread. Maybe it will cut down on all the morons pulling new, one line threads out of their asses.
posted 04-30-06 09:38 PM CT (US)     23 / 108  
I've noticed that almost no one has given their opinion on whether this thread should be stickied or not...

Come on people! It takes several posts to move the mods!

posted 05-01-06 04:09 AM CT (US)     24 / 108  
Cesar is correct, this should be a sticky. So all new pplz can see this thread at the top of the page and find out the answer to their question, "How do I put Music in my scenario's?". So my opinion is that this should be a sticky!
posted 05-01-06 06:22 AM CT (US)     25 / 108  
I agree, this thread should be stickied. Then we finally get rid of all those threads involving music.

Hussarknight
posted 05-01-06 01:40 PM CT (US)     26 / 108  
Now that I think about it, it should be stickied.

You should add forumers' names to contact for sound design. I'll put my name on the list, if you do end up making one. My email is ibroberts@gmail.com.

posted 05-01-06 02:05 PM CT (US)     27 / 108  
Good idea Colo. Edited item 12 into a list (so far you're the only one in it...).

Also edited item 9.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 05-01-2006 @ 02:47 PM).]

posted 05-01-06 05:20 PM CT (US)     28 / 108  
You could add this to your faq:

http://dgdn.net/dgdn.php?id=82&cat=project_pages&cat_ID=23&heading_ID=2

~~~Member and Admin at DGDN~~~
Beta Asian Monastery Mod 4.5 | Old Stone 4.5 | Sacred Entrance Mod 5.0 | Stonehenge Mod 4.5 | Weapon Stack Mod 4.5
Battle of Mayapan 4.0 | The Paladin of Destiny 4.2
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'
posted 05-01-06 08:37 PM CT (US)     29 / 108  
But in which item should I add it?
posted 05-02-06 09:15 AM CT (US)     30 / 108  
Nice thread. I'm not too sure, but stickying it wouldn't do any harm, would it?

Perhaps you should add this link, there are a few good sound effects at DGDN. I'm also working on a sounds section for IC here.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 05-02-06 11:27 AM CT (US)     31 / 108  
Added into item 5. Also added X King's sugestion.
posted 05-02-06 11:31 AM CT (US)     32 / 108  
I really think this should be sticky
I mean, I've been trying several ways to change or find sounds, but most of them was only crap.
This however was really good!
I think many designers will have use of this, so it won't be good if it just falls back into the archives

MAKE IT STICKY

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |Ż| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |Ż|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 05-02-2006 @ 11:34 AM).]

posted 05-02-06 11:35 AM CT (US)     33 / 108  
6 sticky votes so far. Keep voting people, or this thread will be hurled forever downwards the bottomless pit of eternal chaos known as the forum archives.

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 05-02-2006 @ 09:19 PM).]

posted 05-03-06 02:09 AM CT (US)     34 / 108  
I think you should add this question:
Q:Where can I get medieval music for my scenario?
A:http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/emusic/medieval.html]
You may use the music from this site in your scenario's as long as you contact the site's owner first.

Hussarknight
posted 05-03-06 01:19 PM CT (US)     35 / 108  
Added.

BTW, your sig rulz, Hussarknight.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Sound Files FAQ
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames