You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mini Project: AoK Soccer (multiplayer playtesters wanted!)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 06-26-06 02:27 PM CT (US)   
Here's a little project I've been working on in my spare time, and in light of the World Cup, I've decided to introduce it to the members of the SD community. I will probably make a single player version, and a multiplayer version.

---------------AoK Soccer---------------

Rules are very simple:

1. Score a goal by passing the ball (deer) and shooting it in the other team's goal.
2. Each team has 5 players, [2 forwards, 3 defenders]
3. The teams are divided amongst four human players [Blue Forwards, Blue Defenders, Red Forwards, Red Defenders.]
4. Defenders may not crowd into the goal to stop shots. Otherwise, a direct kick will be awarded to the opposing team.
5. The referee's decision is always final.
6. Always use good sportsmanship.
7. Whenever possible, have fun!

:::::SCREENSHOTS:::::
1. The Pitch and Stadium

2. Direct Kick!

3. Blue Team Fans cheer on their team with 42 minutes to go in the second half, the score tied 0-0.

What I need Help on (this is where the forumers come in):
- AI script for computer players (single player version)
- Playtesters (multiplayer version)
- Sounds for a general soccer game.
- Substitution system (players getting tired during the game)
- Perhaps a modpack, just to finish things off? (optional, of course)
- Stats editing (increase deer speed, and also figuring out how to make the deer's sprints last longer).

Here's what will not be added in:
-Corner kicks, out of bounds, goal kicks.
-Ability to vary shot power.
-Ability to change speed.

Additional Notes:
- For now, I'm using trade carts for the players, so they don't kill the deer. However, I may switch to using kings and invincible deer.

- The stadium could use some work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done to spice it up?

- This will be a cameo scenario, so if you wish to appear in the front row of the stands, fill out this form:

Name:
Unit:
Text: (up to 55 characters, name, colon, space included)

CAMEOS:
Name: Scud
Unit: Pikeman
Text: Go for his knees!

Name: Basse
Unit: Teutonic Knight
Text: What?? No salted peanuts!? Its a scandal!

Name: Boosh
Unit: Elite Huskarl
Text: CRAP! I just spilled the popcorn!

Name: Reaper_93
Unit: Cataphract
Text: I wonder if they know I brought my horse in here...?

Name: Cesar
Unit: Huskarl
Text: I am the reason this game works.

Name: Slayer
Unit: Champion

Name: Trebuchet
Text: Check out AoK.Heavengames.com!!

Name: MeGaIdIoT
Unit: COBRA
Text: Shutup, I know I shouldn't park here

Name: Daftpanzer
Unit: Heavy Camel
Text: "For Great Justice..."

Name: Spartan II
Unit: Heavy Swordsman
Text: The Spartans will rise up and rule once again!

Name: He11s Angels
Unit: janisary
Text: Offsides? Are you blind ref! How can that be offsides!

Name: Podrascanin
Unit: King
Quote: Pass it you Idiot! God you 'aint gonna win like that!

Name: Lord Wyrven
Unit: Mangudai (Mongolian UU if I spelt that wrong)
Text: I'll try not to hunt the ball, no promises though!

Name: Samari_Tycoon
Unit: VMDL
Text: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAALLLL!!!!!!!!

Name: WizardBoy
Unit: Long Swordman
Text: Just try another match and see if im a real dutch!

Name: Fattybryce
Unit: War Elephant
Text: Fattys are Phat.

Name: Tanks_Fst
Unit: Two-Handed Swordsman
Text: Foul! Foul! You stupid Ref! FOUL!

Name: i like cheese
unit: Two handed swordsman
text: omg! that player is a noob!

Playtesters:
:::::<Time Zones>:::::
GMT -5.00
BIHSting (me)
MeGaIdIoT (atjoslin@earthlink.net)
Trebuchet (TheTrebuchet@gmail.com)

GMT
Scud (alex_scudman2004@hotmail.com)
WizardBoy (thomas14_koster@hotmail.com)

GMT +1.00
Lord Basse (bassewt@hotmail.com)

Unknown (Please let me know so I can group you!)
fattybryce@hotmail.com

Use this playtesting feedback form when giving feedback:

NAME:
OTHER PLAYTESTERS:
PLAYER YOU TESTED IN THE GAME (1, 2, 3, or 4):
COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, SUGGESTIONS:

I hope to make this the most realistic soccer game for AoK that has ever been made!

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
... I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 07-10-2006 @ 00:40 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-26-06 02:59 PM CT (US)     1 / 137  
Sound great, but change your image host. www.xs.to

Anyway i wish to be part of this, as a cameo and playtester

Name: Scud
Units: Spearmen/Pikemen
Text: Wouldn't mind being placed as a defender.

Anyway, i'd love to playtest, my email is alex(underscore)scudman2004(at)hotmail.com

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 06-26-06 03:10 PM CT (US)     2 / 137  
Ok! You're up as a playtester! There are 2 more slots left, and once we get the playtesters we need, we can pick out a time to test this out on multiplayer.

I'll send you the scenario once I finish some minor bugs.

This will eventually require edited .dat files, so I'll send those, too.

EDIT: Why should I change my image host? Imagebeaver works just fine, and it can host up to 20 files at a time!

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 06-26-2006 @ 03:12 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 03:13 PM CT (US)     3 / 137  
Well i have a few forumers on my MSN, and i play via IP.

But it really depends who is one when, but i'll sure i'll find some-one, mainly Treb i play with over IP but it all depends when he's online. Could always test it with you, feel free to add me on MSN.

Anyway, change to xs.to to host images
That beaver thing is rather crazy, saying you can't view full size images *wierd* [EDIT:] and you can't even see the images.

xs.to is good, for its free images are full sized.

"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 06-26-2006 @ 03:14 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 03:29 PM CT (US)     4 / 137  
I'll recruit playtesters from this thread, so we can all decide on what time works for them.

I've changed my image host, and added 2 new pictures, 1 showing the scoreboard (resource counter).

posted 06-26-06 03:31 PM CT (US)     5 / 137  
Interesting, good idea
I'm not absolutely sure if I can playtest, but I will try to get some free time

My adress: bassewt@hotmail.com

And my cameo:

Name: Basse
Unit: Shah/King or Teutonic Knight (I'm slooooooooow)
Text: Any place will be fine

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-26-2006 @ 03:34 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 03:31 PM CT (US)     6 / 137  
The Penalty box is rather big, almost touching the ghalf way line.

Unless it doesn't matter, apart from looks-wise, unless you plan to penatlies/free-kicks.

posted 06-26-06 03:40 PM CT (US)     7 / 137  
Basse: I've saved you a spot on the list, but if anyone else wants to playtest and can go on multiplayer, I'll have to move you down the list.

Scud: The only free kick it the direct kick, which happens when defenders crowd in front of the goal. This is considered a foul because it's impossible for the deer to be chased into an area with three units. I may have more fouls added on, but any foul in that box will result in a direct kick, and the box size works pretty good for it's purpose.

Theres a screenshot of the direct kick in the topic post. ^

posted 06-26-06 03:43 PM CT (US)     8 / 137  
Question, how is the deer the ball, i mean how do you get command over it?

posted 06-26-06 03:44 PM CT (US)     9 / 137  
I have 3 hours a day, 4 if its raining, but nothing on sundays.
I can try to make it fit with your time for playtesting. The problem should be timezones.
Like, its 21.45 here now...

EDIT: Maybe it's ment that you can't really control the ball. Cause, you cant totally control where the ball will go in real soccer, right?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 06-26-2006 @ 03:47 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 03:45 PM CT (US)     10 / 137  
Well Basse, i'm 1 hours behind you - but you never go on MSN for me to give you my IP via IM and we can get a game started

posted 06-26-06 03:49 PM CT (US)     11 / 137  
Well, the problem is not with you. We have pretty much same time, almost, but if there is someone from Australia or USA it could be harder. Maybe...

I only go on MSN if I see it neccesary, like if playtesting or simply if I want to
You should know!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 06-26-06 03:52 PM CT (US)     12 / 137  
Yes, if there are people from USA and/or Aus. they will still playtest proably with somebody from the timezone and/or someone in very close (or at certain "cross ovwer points" eg, Evening in Europe, Lunch time on the East Coast of USA) etc.

But it doesnt matter who we playtest with, aslong we get it done

posted 06-26-06 03:52 PM CT (US)     13 / 137  
Right now it's 15.52 where I am.

Scud: You can't really control the ball, but heres how the deer works.

If there's a unit in it's LOS (2 tiles) it will run away in the opposite direction the unit is approaching him. For instance, if you are coming at him in a north position, the deer will run to the south. The deer makes a great ball, because, if another player gets to his LOS first, that unit will affect where the deer goes next. The only problem, is the deer doesn't react automatically sometimes, and his strides are not very far. The good thing is that you can make short passes fairly well, unless you have a defender playing you tightly. I will probably perfect the deer's stats using stat editing.

posted 06-26-06 03:57 PM CT (US)     14 / 137  
Well sounds a great system, seems better than the widely know/obvious monk method, for if he dies you need to re-spawn and the killing of a monk will make it more like rugby.

A "deer-ball" makes it more like footie!

posted 06-26-06 04:19 PM CT (US)     15 / 137  
How many players did you put?

I sugest you put the 4 can-be-human players and 1 dummy computer player, for you might need AI to control certain aspects of the game, and when you go multiplayer all AIs assigned to "Either" players are disabled.

You see, since there's no goalie, I sugest you use AI random number generation for the free kicks. This way there's a 50% chance of a goal.

By using

(generate-random-number 2)

and

(random-number equal X)

You generate one number, that can be 1 or 2. Then, you set different rules depending on the number that was generated.

I have no idea how you could order a computer player to chase a deer. I don't think that can be done through AI.

posted 06-26-06 05:17 PM CT (US)     16 / 137  
I'd like to be a front rower, if you're still taking tickets!
Name: Boosh
Unit: Elite Huskarl
Text: CRAP! I just spilled the popcorn!

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
-Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Boosh (edited 06-26-2006 @ 05:17 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 05:57 PM CT (US)     17 / 137  
Heres how the player slots are taken up:
1. Blue Forwards (either)
2. Red Forwards (either)
3. Blue Defenders (either)
4. Red Defenders (either)
5. Stadium (comp)
6. Blue Fans (comp)
7. Red Fans (comp)
8. Referee (comp)

This way, 4 different players can focus on scoring or defending for 2 different teams.

I will do the random free kick system, so there's a 50-50 chance of scoring. Also, the defenders can move their wall so they get in the way of the shot, but that requires great timing. As for computer player AI, I don't think I will make this a single player scenario, seeing as it is probably impossible to get them to chase the deer down. Multiplayer works fine for this anyway.

Boosh: You've been added!

posted 06-26-06 08:34 PM CT (US)     18 / 137  
This is looking great! However, I have other things on my hands and will not be able to playtest. Good luck nonetheless!
posted 06-26-06 09:14 PM CT (US)     19 / 137  
Thanks!

BTW, how would I exactly write that 50-50 AI?

posted 06-26-06 09:42 PM CT (US)     20 / 137  
Hmm, cool idea man! I cant playtest it because my computers internet is futzing up all the time, and currently I forgot I have to register windows XP and am right now locked out of my comp until I register. Because I am a lazy-ass I will most likely not be registering for like a week. At any rate it would be cool to make a cameo -

Name: Reaper_93
Text: I wonder if they know I brought my horse in here...?

Also, the stadium needs better looking seats and I cannot tell if you did this yet or not but make sure they have steps and a central aisle for realism (people have to be able to get in and out somehow yknow!) Other than that it looks great, except if the referee is like a loser drugie addict or something and will wreck the game... so there should be a \"referee override\" function for if both teams think the ref is abusing his powers or something. (Like in many starcraft scenarios there is a \"Boot Player\" function in case they become obnoxious or whatever) If this is successful it could spawn an entire line of AoK Sports games (like EA sports but more pixelated XD). At any rate, great and creative idea and I cannot wait to play/playtest it once my internet gets working again!

/{[[===============================,
||/
|||
\\|
`\\
Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee...
posted 06-26-06 10:55 PM CT (US)     21 / 137  
That won't be a problem. The referee is a computer player, meaning fouls are programmed to specifics, meaning the right call is made every time.

Thanks for the tip on the stadium design. I knew it was missing something.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 06-26-2006 @ 11:06 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 11:01 PM CT (US)     22 / 137  

Quote:

BTW, how would I exactly write that 50-50 AI?

Let's see. First, I'd have to make the AI know that it's a free kick. I can do that by making it detect a certain number of a certain resource. For example, food.

Trigger0:
    Starting: no, it gets activated when an infraction is detected, right?
    Loop: no!

Condition: whatever
    Effect1: Tribute 1 food from GAIA to dummy player (GAIA has infinite resources)
    Effect2: Activate trigger 1
    Effect3: Activate trigger 2

Now the player has 1 food. It's time to tell the AI it's a free kick, and order it to create the 50-50 situation!

Just copy the following script:

(defrule
    (food-amount equal 1); detects when the food stockpile is 1
    =>
    (generate-random-number 2); generates one number: 1 or 2
    (cc-add-resource food -1); clears the food stockpile, preventing the rule from firing ad-infinitum
    )

(defrule
    (random-number equal 1); if the number is 1, then the player will not miss the free kick
    (gold-amount less-than 1)
    =>
    (chat-to-self "Goal")
    (cc-add-resource gold 1); adds 1 gold, to be trigger detected later
    )

(defrule
    (random-number equal 2); if the number is 2, the player will miss
    (stone-amount less-than 1)
    =>
    (chat-to-self "Miss! Hah")
    (cc-add-resource stone 1)
    )

Now some more triggers, to detect which number was created, by checking the stockpiles.

Trigger 1:
    Starting: no
    Loop: no!

Condition: Dummy's Gold stockpile = 1
    Effect1: (whatever. Make it so that this effect activates the "good" free kick)
    Effect2: Tribute 1 gold to GAIA (prevents the system from firing again and clears the stockpile to use the system again in the future)
    Effect3: Deactivate trigger 2

Trigger 2:
    Starting: no
    Loop: no

Condition: Dummy's Stone stockpile = 1
    Effect1: (whatever. Make it so that this effect activates the bad free kick)
    Effect2: Tribute 1 stone to GAIA (you know why...)
    Effect3: Deactivate trigger 1

Well, that's it. Remember to create this system twice, one for the red team and one for the blue team, therefore using 2 AIs. I sugest you use it in the "Fans" players of each team, for there isn't a better dummy than those.

EDIT: typos...

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 06-26-2006 @ 11:08 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 11:08 PM CT (US)     23 / 137  
Wow! Thank you very much. This is a huge help!

BTW, would you like a cameo appearance in the stands?

posted 06-26-06 11:10 PM CT (US)     24 / 137  
Cameo... K.

Name: Cesar
Unit: Huskarl

posted 06-26-06 11:14 PM CT (US)     25 / 137  
Lol. I like it. I will modify the .ai for my own purposes, but you will definatly get the credit for it.

posted 06-26-06 11:19 PM CT (US)     26 / 137  
Actually, you will modify the *.per. It really doesn't matter what you write in the *.ai. You can write a cake recipe in it if you want.

That's it, I'm out to sleep.

posted 06-26-06 11:44 PM CT (US)     27 / 137  
Thanks again, the script works like a charm.

It's pretty funny when the kicker misses. The ball is just sitting next to the goal and neither the forwards nor defenders are going after it. That will all change when we test on multiplayer.

Anyone else want to sign up for a cameo?

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 06-27-2006 @ 00:14 AM).]

posted 06-27-06 04:31 AM CT (US)     28 / 137  
This is great!
I love the stadium, it looks very realistic.

I think what you need in the sounds is (obviously) crowd cheering perhaps a few different types depending on what's happening in the game, and also a few differnt types of whistles for the ref when he makes different decisions, but you've probably already thought of those

posted 06-27-06 09:34 AM CT (US)     29 / 137  
For sounds, try www.findsounds.com our www.sounddogs.com.
posted 06-27-06 09:52 AM CT (US)     30 / 137  
I'll have a cameo!

Name: Slayer
Unit: Champion
Message: *talking on cell phone* No..........no way....No! Fine! You win mom I'll take out the trash when I get back.

posted 06-27-06 09:57 AM CT (US)     31 / 137  
Added!

EDIT: Can you shorten that to 55 characters? That's the most that can fit in the unit info box.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 06-27-2006 @ 10:00 AM).]

posted 06-27-06 10:06 AM CT (US)     32 / 137  
TheTrebuchet(at)gmail(dotdotdotdot)com

Cameo-

Name: Trebuchet
Text: Check out AoK.Heavengames.com!!

. : T h e  T r e b u c h e t : .
    Member since 10/10/04
    Creator of the best Splash Splash ever
    SS XXIV - The Takeover
    --=---~--=-=---~-=--
"The turtles can only do so much dancing before they get tired. Then they go back in the box." -Luke M

[This message has been edited by Trebuchet (edited 06-27-2006 @ 11:30 AM).]

posted 06-27-06 10:17 AM CT (US)     33 / 137  
Sorry Slayer and Treb, your text is too long.

Make sure the entire line of text (including Name, colon, and space) is under 55 characters.

For example: Slayer: xxxxxxxxxx counts as 18 characters.

BTW: How do I download sounds from findsounds.com?

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 06-27-2006 @ 10:20 AM).]

posted 06-27-06 10:27 AM CT (US)     34 / 137  
It's a google-like engine. Select the extension you want (the only one available in it that AoK can play is wav). Type something in the search box. Then a list of files will appear. Right-click a link and select "Save Target as..." if your browser opens the file automatically when you click a link. If not, and your browser opens a window "Open or save?" (or whatever), I recommend you open the file first, to see if it fits well. If it's good, save it.
posted 06-27-06 10:44 AM CT (US)     35 / 137  
Aren't you going to use the display instructions trigger? for example:

just change my name to Slayer and then:

Trigger0
Condition0 = select object: Object = Slayer(my character)
Effect0 = display instructions: *talking on cell phone* No..........no way....No! Fine! You win mom I'll take out the trash when I get back.

Are you using this method or something else?

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Mini Project: AoK Soccer (multiplayer playtesters wanted!)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames