You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Continuous Screenshot Competition III
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90  Next Page »
posted 04-05-07 03:58 PM CT (US)   

Welcome to the The Continuous Screenshot Competition III - It's Back and Better Than Ever!

The Original And Forerunner Of All Other Continuous Screenshot Competitions Around Heaven Games Since 21st May 2006!

______HOW IT WORKS______

Yes folks: Roll up, roll up to one of the biggest ongoing spectacles that has graced the Scenario Design forum! So welcome to the third series of our little contest, to those that are new, I would like to take the time to introduce myself to you. I am Scud, your loyal, loving and cold-hearted thread dictator. It is up to me to keep this all running smoothly and to update the topic post and inform you all of what is going on. It may sound like this is an easy job, but in fact…..it is very easy!

The format remains the same and true to the original - everyone who wishes to enter must take a screenshot that they made which is relevant to the current category, the screenshot can be related to the title literally or abstractly, along as you can give an explanation of why you say your screenshot relates to the category in hand, it goes in, be as literal, creative or imaginative as you like - as long as it related to the category in at least one way!

Ok, so you’ve got your screenshot all in and ready, what happens next? Well after the given time, the time for entrants will be closed, and then people who did not enter can vote for the screenshot they like. After around three days on average, the person with the most votes is the winner, and they chose the next category - which is why it is a continuous cycle!

There are a few rule changes this time round, nothing that new, but it is good to clear a few things up, so here are the rules:

_________RULES_________
  • No catagory may be used twice.
  • You may only enter one screenshot per catagory.
  • The previous winner cannot compete in the competition he/she set the catagory for. (For that person would of had an advantage otherwise)
  • No pasting pictures into your screenshots of anything, period (text is an exception).
  • When it comes to editing your screenshot in a program like Paint, you can remove toolbars/change them to a new border for decoration, but you may not use effects or the program to edit the base of your sceenshot. Any text or effects must not interfere with the screenshot, and these will only be added for presentation, for example giving your screenshot on a wide-screen background would only add to presentation. Voters are reminded the content of the screenshot is what is being voted on, not editing it afterward in a paint program.
  • No mapshots. (In other words, no using a full map shot of an entire scenario/map)
  • No modpacks or ANY FORM OF MODDING UNIT GRAPHICS
  • AokTS, Renaissance and GeniEDn can be used (But with restrictions)
  • Renaissance is allowed for it uses GeniED. With Renaissance you are only allowed to use the units/effects that already exist in game, for example the beta cavalry can be used, for it uses an un-used graphic and it has just be unlocked for ease of use. If it you are trying to use units or effects that have be made from combining old graphics together to make a new unit, this will not be allowed, for it would be a new unit with new graphics instead of using the original pre-packaged units.
  • The definition of “new unit” for the sake of this competition is that a unit that does not use graphics that are not including ingame, using the game data to access hidden units is acceptable. For example, the Beta Cavalry is allowed for it is included in game, just hidden. But if you used a new unit you modded yourself, for example a mounted throwing axe-man, though both unit graphics are in game, you would be combining them to make a new unit that had not been shipped with the game. If you have question on this part of the rulings, or you are unsure if your unit is allowed, please feel free to get into contact.
  • No taking screenshots from campaigns/scenarios that you did not create.
  • This is an open competition. No need to sign up, just post a screenshot that abides to the selected catagory.
  • Screenshots must be made only for this competition. No using screenshots previously taken for any reason. You may, however, take screenshots from your campaign in the works that you have announced, but it must be taken specifically for this competition.
  • Comptition and voting statuses will close at 11:59pm forum time on the designated deadline.
  • Cropping Images to remove the game toolbars IS allowed. (You can remove where it says "Dark Age" and the bottom bar where it displays the minimap")
  • The previous winner and the selecter of the catagory MAY vote.
  • If you are participating in the current competition, you cannot vote for fellow contestants. (If this rules was not in place - tatical voting may occur, thus spoiling the system)
  • No editing of your screenshot once it has been posted as an entry for the competition (no editing the content/scenery). However Editing typos/spelling errors in text included with/in your screenshot IS allowed
  • If you are caught trying to make smurf accounts or getting people to sign up to AokH so they can vote for you, and they never post and they only use their registration to give you a vote, you will be disqualified from the week, and for a further length of time based on my discretion . Trying to fix the ballot is a very serious rule, and any attempt to break this rule will have serious consequences.
  • No flaming to other forummers. Critism of people's work must be contrustive
  • Don't whine if you did not win, better luck next time
  • Have fun, and try hard!

Useful Info
  • To take a screenshot, press the "Print Screen" on your keyboard - the picture will be then saved under "Screenshots" in your AoK files (My Computer -> Progam Files -> Microsoft Games -> Age of Empires II -> Screenshot)
  • F11 removes the game time from view

Some image hosters that DO NOT require REGISTRATION:

• http://xs.to/
  • http://imageshack.us/

Some image hosters that DO require REGISTRATION:

• www.putfile.com/
  • www.photobucket.com/

_________Hall of Fame_________

1. Category: City Scene. Winner: PaulC2001 (4 Votes).
    2. Emotional: Corey Barrett (6 Votes)
    3. Exploration: King Bob VI (4 Votes)
    4. Home Sweet Home: Hussarknight (4 Votes)
    5. Indoors: SOK_He11s_Angels (7 Votes)
    6. Hunting Trip: Boosh (3 Votes)
    7. A Royal Caravan: King Bob VI (7 Votes)
    8. On The Edge Of Death: PaulC2001 (6 Votes)
    9. The Last Stand: Surge (2 Votes)
    10. A Funeral: SOK_He11s_Angels (6 Votes)
    11. Back to School: newIdea (6 Votes)
    12. Under Siege: Surge (5 Votes)
    13. Bazaar: Oliver (5 Votes)
    14. The Last Outpost: Dark_Reign (4 Votes)
    15. Next CSC Host: Scud (10 Votes)
    16. Supernatural: Julius999 (7 Votes)
    17. A Carnival: Scud (6 Votes)
    18. The Power of God: Byzan (10 Votes)
    19. Historical Battle: VonCorgath (7 Votes)
    20. An Island: Lord Basse (4 Votes)
    21. The End of The World: NewIdea (12 Votes)
    22. Winter Wonder Land: militia mouse (8 Votes)
    23. The Rescue : Surge (7 Votes)
    24. How I found God: Stephen Richards (3 Votes) (+1 Tie-breaker)
    25. The Meeting: Hussarknight (10 Votes)
    26. On The Run: Stephen Richards (5 Votes)
    27. A Journey into the Unkown: Scud (5 Votes)
    28. War And Peace: Lord Basse (5 Votes)
    29. Dreamworld: matty12345 (10 Votes)
    30. The New World: Scud (7 Votes)
    31. A Castle: Styrophome (8 Votes)
    32. The Tragic Climax: Trebuchet (5 Votes)
    33. The Final Battle: Styrophome (8 Votes)
    34. A Shipyard: Julius999 (6 Votes)
    35. A Murder: newIdea (6 Votes)
    36. April Showers: Colo the Great (6 Votes)
    37. Artillery Position: Julius999 (6 Votes)
    38. Seen Better Days: morgoth bauglir (5 Votes)
    39. Modernization: Julius999 (6 Votes)
    40. The End Of The Road: Styrophome (8 Votes)
    41. Through the Night: Lord Basse (7 Votes) (+1 Tie-breaker)
    42. An Idyll: VonCorgath (6 Votes)
    43. The Crossing: Julius999 (7 Votes)
    44. Town Square: Hussarknight (5 Votes)
    45. An Accident: Scud (5 votes)
    46. Pirates: oliver (6 Votes) {*}
    47. Mirage: matty12345 (6 Votes)
    48. The Crusades: Crusader_7 (4 Votes)
    49. Vikings: Julius999 (5 Votes)
    50. A Monastery: FattyBryce (11 Votes)
    51. The Holy Roman Empire: Lord Basse (6 Votes)
    52. The 21st Century: newIdea (7 Votes)
    53. Water Fall: Jatayu (4 Votes)
    54. The Choice: Jas the Mace1 (7 Votes)
    55. Assault of the Fortress Wall: Julius999 (8 Votes)
    56. Super Special Bonkers Bonus Round: ZayanK (3 Votes)
    57. In the belly of the beast: Cesar Bernardi (4 Votes)
    58. A film spoof: Crossbowman (6 Votes)
    59. Misanthropy: sly_guy (9 Votes)
    60. Shipwreck: Scud (8 Votes)
    61. Crime and Punishment: Crusader_7 (6 Votes)
    62. The Countryside: Jas the Mace1 (3 Votes)
    63. Seaborne Invasion: Fattybryce (5 Votes)
    64. The Phalanx: Scud (7 Votes)
    65. Christmas: militia mouse (4 Votes) (+1 Tie-breaker)
    66. Too Late!: Julius999 (13 Votes)
    67. Just In Time!: Fattybryce (7 Votes) (+1 Tie-breaker)
    68. The Barbarian Invasion: oliver (6 Votes)
    69. Against all odds: Quaazi (4 Votes)
    70. The Triumph Of Science: Jas the Mace1 (6 Votes)

{*}: (Confusion caused by one vote that did not comply to the rules and was not spotted until a later date. Note; week 47 was not picked by oliver, week 50 was picked for by oliver to make up for this)

_________CURRENT COMPETITION_________

71. Magic Wins/Loses the Battle Competition Status: VOTING
    Closes on: 21st February
    At: 11:59pm (Forum Time)
  • figgy - 2
  • RS Greo0 - 1
  • thepunkguy - 4
  • The Black Petard
  • Epic Commander
  • Fattybryce - 2

Stat Monkey's Corner: Big thanks to matty12345 for getting this done!
    Weeks 1-24
    Chart I
    Chart II

Past Threads:
    The Continuous Screenshot Competition (Weeks 1-14)
    The Continuous Screenshot Competition II (Weeks 15-35)

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
    "Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
    "Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 02-20-2008 @ 02:33 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 04-05-07 04:00 PM CT (US)     1 / 3133  
    fancy gadgets have the advantages of being able to manipulate things easily to create otherwise impossible pictures (my field for example), also the novelty value often gets votes on its own (see newIdea's edge of the world picture, not that it isn't good).

Are you implying that I had to use AoKTS or GE2 for that screenie?

dannyking.me

posted 04-05-07 04:03 PM CT (US)     2 / 3133  
    Are you implying that I had to use AoKTS or GE2 for that screenie?

I think he is, but iirc you said that you didn't use those methods?

But yes, now it truly Continuous I can go now, I made the choice to get the old thread closed now for I knew if I went offline and it expired when I was offline it would of been a fair few hours before I would of gotten online again and thus caused confusion on what would happen.

"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
    posted 04-05-07 04:07 PM CT (US)     3 / 3133  
    Well anyone who doesn't use all the tools available to them shouldn't complain about others who do. This argument is getting old, let's just forget it and congratulate our host on a very nicely laid out topic.

Congrats, Scuddles

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 04-05-07 04:12 PM CT (US)     4 / 3133  
    I think he is, but iirc you said that you didn't use those methods?

From the time I opened that scenario, to the time I hosted the image, I don't think I open AoKTS/GE2 once.

dannyking.me

posted 04-05-07 05:07 PM CT (US)     5 / 3133  
    No I was not referring to that, you have told me that already. I was talking about the novelty value. If, for example, I found a way to turn units upside down (aside from monks, naturally ) and made an otherwise awful screenshot of an inverted AA meeting I would probably win. That, and you would all kick yourselves for not finding it earlier.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 04-05-2007 @ 05:09 PM).]

posted 04-05-07 06:22 PM CT (US)     6 / 3133  
    let's just forget it and congratulate our host on a very nicely laid out topic.

Congrats, Scuddles

Thank you, its just the same really, just changed the intro and tweaked the rules....but I have a few ideas on what to improve on, plus I might add some stuff which would make it more interesting, if the feedback is good - matty, you might be somebody I test my ideas out on.

Also, do the extra rules bring an end to what is and is not allowed at last, is it clear?

I would probably win

Arrogance has no place here.

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 04-05-2007 @ 06:26 PM).]

posted 04-05-07 06:48 PM CT (US)     7 / 3133  
    But if my joke was offensive Colo, I didnt mean it to be, let's just start over and forget it. I am cool if you are.

Of course.

Nice new thread, Scud.

posted 04-05-07 06:54 PM CT (US)     8 / 3133  
    Nice new thread, Scud.

I am glad about the positive feedback about the thread, thanks.

Though anyone wishes to comment on the slight update on the rules?

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 04-05-2007 @ 06:55 PM).]

posted 04-05-07 06:55 PM CT (US)     9 / 3133  
    First!

...aww...

* * * (-) | ¯\I )¬, (¯) |) |-|- ,O /^V^\ |¯ * * *
    -=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-
    ...Still working on The Epic of Gilgamesh...
    posted 04-05-07 06:55 PM CT (US)     10 / 3133  
    First!
    ...aww...

You are way off my plastic cup friend.

posted 04-05-07 07:10 PM CT (US)     11 / 3133  
    If, for example, I found a way to turn units upside down (aside from monks, naturally ) and made an otherwise awful screenshot of an inverted AA meeting I would probably win. That, and you would all kick yourselves for not finding it earlier.

Oh, so my screenshot was awful. I see.

dannyking.me

posted 04-05-07 07:17 PM CT (US)     12 / 3133  
    Just to remind everyone we are picking up from where we left off, so be sure to get those votes in!

EDIT: After randomly reading through The Continuous Screenshot Competition II I found a comment newIdea made that might be interesting on the current AoK:TS usage:

Personally, I didn't vote for Basse because his screenie looks like he was trying to take the easy way out and let the shock & awe of AoKTS' features do the work for him

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 04-05-2007 @ 07:29 PM).]

posted 04-05-07 07:42 PM CT (US)     13 / 3133  
    Don't see what that has to do with this discussion.

dannyking.me

posted 04-05-07 08:23 PM CT (US)     14 / 3133  
    I think it does as people are going on about the use of Aok:TS, and as I have said it doesn't matter if you use it or not, what matters is producing a quality screenshot that people like.

posted 04-05-07 10:25 PM CT (US)     15 / 3133  
    how do you make the white clouds / explosions?

in lord basse's shot for example

posted 04-06-07 01:49 AM CT (US)     16 / 3133  
    how do you make the white clouds / explosions?

in lord basse's shot for example

With the renaissance, for example...

bu anyway, what the hell is the next category?

BTW, congrats Scud for hosting another thread.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 04-06-07 04:09 AM CT (US)     17 / 3133  
    number III already wow that went fast

@ colo: the shallow water reprisents rain. how often do you step in a 15ft puddle :P

Beta tester of Pirates of the Caribbean online =)

[This message has been edited by jazmanX1 (edited 04-06-2007 @ 04:10 AM).]

posted 04-06-07 04:17 AM CT (US)     18 / 3133  
    Good work with the new rules.

@Scud & newIdea
    My intention with that screenshot was to see what I could make with my new discoveries with AoKTS, like if a 5x5 map would look good at all.
    But I understand your comments on it.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    posted 04-06-07 05:03 AM CT (US)     19 / 3133  
    Renaissance is allowed for it uses GeniED. With Renaissance you are only allowed to use the units/effects that already exist in game, for example the beta cavalry can be used, for it uses an un-used graphic and it has just be unlocked for ease of use. If it you are trying to use units or effects that have be made from combining old graphics together to make a new unit, this will not be allowed, for it would be a new unit with new graphics instead of using the original pre-packaged units.

Well, if you ask me, that sounds like a fair restriction in theory, but in practice you're strictly only excluding 2 or 3 naval units out of ~100 new units in total, so the rule is kinda useless anyway. The case is getting even more complicated as some units are using combined graphics only in certain situations (such as the Throwing Sabreman). I'd recommend you either allow all use of it or completely ban it.

Furthermore, I think you're taking this waayy to seriously. If someone wins one week with a shot that displays a creative use of Renaissance, GeniEd2 or AoKTS, big deal. There's always a new week. The novelty of these units will wear off quickly as people get used to them anyway. Stop being so competitive and have more fun instead.

posted 04-06-07 05:23 AM CT (US)     20 / 3133  
    Furthermore, I think you're taking this waayy to seriously. If someone wins one week with a shot that displays a creative use of Renaissance, GeniEd2 or AoKTS, big deal. There's always a new week. The novelty of these units will wear off quickly as people get used to them anyway. Stop being so competitive and have more fun instead.

Indeed, I want it to be a fun competition but many people are still debating about the fact of is it fair and ect. so I must try and make it as fair as possible, but I can't give everyone what they want due to the conflicting interests so I have to compromise somewhere.

bu anyway, what the hell is the next category?

It is called The Continuous Screenshot Competition, so we are picking up from where we left off, so it is still time for voting.

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 04-06-2007 @ 05:25 AM).]

posted 04-06-07 05:36 AM CT (US)     21 / 3133  
    It is called The Continuous Screenshot Competition, so we are picking up from where we left off, so it is still time for voting.

Yeah yeah, when I posted, I thought the voting was over already.

Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 04-06-07 05:42 AM CT (US)     22 / 3133  
    Yeah yeah, when I posted, I thought the voting was over already.

Should always check the topic post for deadlines.

posted 04-06-07 05:45 AM CT (US)     23 / 3133  
    You know me, Scud, I'm too lazy for such, so I get beaten up every time I post here.

[This message has been edited by morgoth bauglir (edited 04-06-2007 @ 05:46 AM).]

posted 04-06-07 05:47 AM CT (US)     24 / 3133  
    so I get beaten up every time I post here.

I thought of adding a new rule that means people must beat you whenever you post, but that is too evil....even by my standards.

posted 04-06-07 05:55 AM CT (US)     25 / 3133  
    If I'd get a nickle for every time I get beaten up, I would have about 62-71 nickles. On the other hand, if I would have a nickle every time I beat someone else up, I would have about 142-169 nickles. Kinda adds up, doesn't it?

posted 04-06-07 06:35 AM CT (US)     26 / 3133  
    Arrogance has no place here.

Context is everything Scud my friend.

Oh, so my screenshot was awful. I see.

No! I wasn't even referring to your screenshot that time. Is there a non offensive way to express this?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    posted 04-06-07 09:55 AM CT (US)     27 / 3133  
    Scud - Your screenshot is interesting, but a bit bland. The "dry riverbed" isn't very obvious. And the caption is kind of... too short and not sweet enough.

Basse - Heh, that's clever. I'm assuming that's pollen or sommething in the air.

Julius - That technique is also creative, but the caption is rather confusing.

Colo - Interesting idea, but the road makes no sense. Why is the rest of it dry, and that one part of it extremely muddy? You certainly added enough of a storyline to it, though. *Googles*

jaxman - Not much to do with "April Showers", but the terraced farms look pretty cool.

And, to conclude, I will cast my vote for :
    Lord Basse

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
    "HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi

[This message has been edited by Wyo_Daniel (edited 04-06-2007 @ 09:56 AM).]

posted 04-06-07 11:25 AM CT (US)     28 / 3133  
    You try making a convincing mud terrain then, without spamming up your scenario with thousands of mud paths (which looks terrible, believe me, I tried it originally).

Edit: Here's the original screenshot I had done up, before I erased some of the mud. It didn't make any sense. Here

[This message has been edited by Colo the Great (edited 04-06-2007 @ 11:50 AM).]

posted 04-06-07 11:52 AM CT (US)     29 / 3133  
    the shallow water reprisents rain. how often do you step in a 15ft puddle :P

Shoreless water would be a lot better....how often do you see puddles with a shore line. ¬_¬

posted 04-06-07 12:45 PM CT (US)     30 / 3133  
    Lol, Scud, you actually have a point.

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
    "HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi
    posted 04-06-07 12:46 PM CT (US)     31 / 3133  
    I think it does as people are going on about the use of Aok:TS, and as I have said it doesn't matter if you use it or not, what matters is producing a quality screenshot that people like.

Ah, I just assumed you were trying to use it against me.

Indeed, I want it to be a fun competition but many people are still debating about the fact of is it fair and ect. so I must try and make it as fair as possible, but I can't give everyone what they want due to the conflicting interests so I have to compromise somewhere.

That's why you politely ignore the complaints that make no sense.

Is there a non offensive way to express this?

I wish.

dannyking.me

posted 04-06-07 01:19 PM CT (US)     32 / 3133  
    @scud:i don't know where to get shoreless water and dont like to use unlocked units.

Beta tester of Pirates of the Caribbean online =)
    posted 04-06-07 02:23 PM CT (US)     33 / 3133  
    You can get shoreless water by removing Bridge-middle with triggers.

posted 04-06-07 02:45 PM CT (US)     34 / 3133  
    Go to this link jazman...

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5566

Then download the file.

EDIT:I vote for "Colo the Great". Very well made Colo, congrats.

Who watches the Watchmen?
    Still Cristian, proud of it, etc...
    "You are an important piece of my puzzle..."
    Impaled Saren, executed Illidan, bludgeoned Big Daddy, and exploded Gravemind. What now?
    Repent! Xenu is coming! Or so Tom Cruise would have you believe.
    Boom. Headshot. Yes, I play FPS's.

[This message has been edited by RPGary (edited 04-06-2007 @ 02:49 PM).]

posted 04-06-07 04:08 PM CT (US)     35 / 3133  
    VOTE: Lord Basse

I think that's me on the horse running from my allergies.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Continuous Screenshot Competition III
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames