loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Design FAQ : CD Version
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40  Next Page »
posted 04-14-07 03:40 AM CT (US)   
Scenario Design One-Stop Shop

Age of Kings Heaven Greeting to Newcomers

Original Thread

Allow me to welcome you on behalf of the entire HeavenGames staff. My name is Tetsuo Shima. You will likely see a few people with colored names in your journeys around the forums: these are staff members, and any one of them will be glad to assist you in whatever manner possible.

The purpose of this thread is to give you a general overview of this forum, Age of Kings Heaven, and scenario designing in general: hopefully it will provide you with a good starting point in your quest of scenario designing.

It comprises three parts. 1) My Greeting to Newcomers, which you are reading. Read through this first. 2) Dave_Earl and Da Hobo’s Everything You Wanted to Know About Scenario Designing But Were Afraid to Ask. This is our F.A.Q. You can use ctrl+F to search it. 3) Aro (and Dave’s) Scenario Design Library. This a collection of useful links, to browse at your leisure.

Why Design Scenarios?
First of all, I would like to say a couple words about scenario designing itself:
For me, there is no greater part of AoK then the editor. Long after the fun of playing the game starts to fade away, the editor continues to pull me to it. Indeed, the thrill of releasing a scenario and receiving comments or emails from people who enjoyed it never wears off. For me, there is almost no greater feeling. There has been many times that I have neglected food, sleep, partying, schoolwork, whatever, just to work on a scenario that I felt I *had* to get done… and I hope that you will feel as passionately about designing as well.
Let it be said, though, that it is not easy. It can be frustrating, and it will take a huge amount of effort, sweat, and perspiration to produce a top-quality work. However, the end result is certainly worth it…

What is the point of this forum?
As the title implies, this is the place to go to ask questions regarding scenario editing, to discuss certain areas of the field, to search for playtesters for a scenario you may have, or just talk about anything related to scenarios in general. This is *not* a place to talk to your buddies about school tomorrow, to talk about a great strategy using the Teutons, or anything else that is not related to scenario designing. For that sort of discussion, please use one of the other AoKH forums if it relates to AoK, and the Town's Crier for anything that does not fit in any category.
Above all, this forum is here for you. It is here to help you out in your quest to design scenarios, to give you a place to discuss your hobby, and to enhance the community in general.

How do I use this forum?
Well, you have already made the first step: You are reading this thread, which means that you have successfully found the forum. If you have not already registered, the first step is to do so now. In the upper right-hand corner of your screen, you will see an option that says “Register”. Click on that, and you will be taken to a screen that will allow you to fill out your information and choose a user name – don’t worry, the only info we need is an email address to send you your password, and all info you choose to give will remain confidential.
After you have registered, check your email, for your password will be sent to you. Once you have your password, simply press the “login” option (which is directly to the left of the “register” option). Enter your username and password, and viola! You are able to post on any HG forum.
These forums have been designed to be as user-friendly as possible. Simply click on the New Topic button to create a thread, or the Reply to Topic button to reply to a specific thread.
UBB code allows you to enhance your post with a variety of formatting options. For an overview on using UBB, please go here.

Make sure that you read the Forum FAQ before you begin posting on any HG forum. If you have any problems at all with the forums, please do not hesitate to contact one of the current moderators: Leif Ericson, or Tetsuo Shima. Alternatively, you could send an e-mail to forums@heavengames.com.

Where can I download other people’s scenarios or post my own so people can download them?
Age of Kings Heaven has the largest database of files for AoK in the world, and posting yours there is as easy as 1-2-3. The Blacksmith is where all the files are stored. To download a scenario or campaign, simply go to the address, and use the easy menus to navigate your way to the files you wish to download.
You can also upload your own creations as well. Simply go to The Blacksmith and click on “Submit File”. Fill out the necessary info, press submit, and voila! Your file will be authorized into the Blacksmith as soon as a staff member looks it over, and it will be available for download shortly.
One common error that many people get when attempting to download from the Blacksmith is a box prompting them for a username and password. The answer is simple: disable download accelerator and any other "Download Acceleration" programs. You will not be able to download anything if you are using any of these programs.

If you have any problems or questions arising from the use of the Blacksmith, please e-mail our current blacksmith administrator, Mashek or Panel.

What do I do if I have a question?
Well, if you have a question regarding scenario designing, the best way to start would be to look at tutorials or articles that other people have made. Probably the best places for such articles would be:
Dragon Gaming Design Network
The Tsuniversity

Many others are listed in the Scenario Design Library, below.

If you cannot find an answer to your question at these sites, it would probably be a good idea to search “Everything you wanted to know about scenario design but were afraid to ask,” which is below, in this thread.
Next, search the forum to see if your question has been asked previously. At the bottom main Scen. Editing Forum page you will see where it says “Search”. In the “Subject” field, simply type any keywords having to do with your question, and see what comes up. If you don’t find anything, feel free post a new thread about it! There are a lot of people here that will be willing to help you out and assist you, so don’t be afraid to ask questions!
Which leads me to my next point…

What do I do if someone is giving me trouble?
Although you will find that most people that post at this forum are all-too-happy to help you out with whatever questions you might have, there will always be those who do not feel the same way. These people, many of whom consider themselves “oldies” simply because they have been here for a few months, fail to remember that they were once new as well. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and if you do not ask questions and participate there is no way for you to improve. These people feel the need to appear “superior” to others, and may be rude, insulting, or unfriendly. My advice: Ignore them. If you are having a problem with any forummer, please inform one of the current moderators Leif Ericson, or Tetsuo Shima and they will deal with it right away. Fortunately, most people are not like this, and are more then happy to make you feel welcome. However, there will always be those who are committed to causing trouble, though they are usually a small minority.

What are the rules?
Here like all Heaven Games forums, members must follow the Forum Code of Conduct or CoC. The Forum Support and CoC Document is found in the link marked 'rules' near the top of the forum. Also, the CoC prohibits profanity in the forums, but here in Scenario Design Forum we do not allow cursing as our special policy. This includes abbreviations that substitute for curses, and cursing in any context. We prefer to just edit curses when and where we see them, however repeated and flagrant cursing will be considered in violation of the Code of Conduct.

Conclusion:
Enjoy your stay at the Age of Kings Heaven Scenario Editing Forum! Above all else, make sure to have fun… for what else is the point of designing scenarios if one does not enjoy it? Remember, if you have any questions/comments/problems, please contact one of the current moderators, (Leif Ericson, or Tetsuo Shima) they would be very happy to hear from you.

Happy Forumming!

Everything you wanted to know about Scenario Design, but were afraid to ask

This section of the thread began life way back in 2003 as the “Scenario Design FAQ” by Da Hobo. It was subsequently, lovingly, maintained by Angel Anastasia, before falling into the hands of Dave Earl in 2007. It is now maintained by Tetsuo Shima, however, you can expect some larger updates in future. You can visit the original, old-skool Scenario Design FAQ here.

The answers compiled here represent the cumulative wisdom of eight years of scenario design. Where possible the person who originally found the answer has been credited. If you think we’ve overlooked someone who deserves credit, let us know asap.

Being the distilled wisdom of over 3,222 scenario designers, it would be a wise move for new scenario designers to read this thread thoroughly before posting at the forums. In particular, I’d recommend looking at answers 1, 2 and 6 before doing anything else!

You can search this page for keywords. For example: If you want to know how to make cliffs invisible, press Ctrl + F, and type the word "invisible" or "cliff". The browser will scroll to the next place where those words are mentioned.

The following credit list has been passed down from generation to generation: Angel Anastasia, Berserker Jerker, DaVe, aoegolfer, zyxomma100, bleedteal, Anastasia, ax_man1, Raptor, dark_warrior_1_, WhiteWolf, rayoflightsword, kevingamer _AcX_, Marshal Gandalf, scenario_t_c, Surge, SonicShadow, rwilde, and FuzzyFurry25.
This document is constantly updated and edited. Please post here if you have an idea for a question, a question you would like answered, some information that could be used to expand on an answer, have spotted a grammar or spelling or bbcode mistake, or any inaccuracies in the text.

Index

The Forums

Q1. I can’t find an answer to my problem in the FAQs! What do I do?
Q2. I’m thinking about starting a new topic in the forums. Should I?
Q3. What do those abbreviations mean / stand for?
Q4. What is a mod?
Q5. I’m really excited. SHOULD I TYPE IN CAPS?
Q6. I’d like to start a new topic. What should I call it?
Q7. How many topics should I begin the day I join?
Q8. How can I uses quotes / bold / fade / colours / etc. in the forums?
Q9. How do I take screen-shots?
Q10. How do I take map-shots?
Q11. So, I took a screenshot. How do I show it to other people?
Q12 How many triggers must my scenario have before its good?
Q13. How many triggers does my map need before I can brag about it?
Q14. I’ve spend several hours making a scenario. Should I tell everyone?
Q15. Someone’s asking for play-testers. What does that mean?

Where do I start?

Q16. How can I place gold mines, forage bushes, yurts, stone mines, etc.?
Q17. I can’t change the name of an object! Can I?
Q18. I can’t find the “Change object name” trigger effect. Where is it?
Q19. “Change Object Name” isn’t working! Why not?
Q20. What is map copy and how can I do it?
Q21. How can I make my scenario's starting position over the character, not over the transport in the corner?
Q22. How do I make an AI (Artificial Intelligence)?
Q23. How do I make a Random Map Script?
Q24. Can I change the way the game looks?
Q25. Are there other programmes that I can use for scenario designing?
Q26. What is Trigger Studio and where do I get it?
Q27. I have a question about music or sound. Where should I look?
Q28. How do I save scenarios as a campaign?
Q29. I can’t put a minus sign in the editor! What’s wrong with me?

The Basics

Q30. How do I make instructions appear in the Instructions menu?
Q31. How can I change the colour of the text in the effect "Display Instructions”?
Q32. How can I make text red without having a "<" appear in front of the message?
Q33. How can I get text to appear in the centre of the screen?
Q34. What is a string table?
Q35. How do I make Objectives appear during the game?
Q36. How do I make a line appear through objectives when they’re completed?
Q37. How do I make objectives disappear when they’re completed?
Q38. How do I make item lists below "Objectives"?
Q39. How do I include a picture at the start of a scenario, on the instructions screen?
Q40. What is a “palette” and where do I get one?
Q41. How do I lower a unit's max HP / Attack?
Q42. How do you set a unit to "Defensive" stance?
Q43. How do you set a unit to the "No Attack Stance" stance?
Q44. I can't select more than one unit with Change Object Name / Patrol / effect. How do you do it?
Q45. I’ve placed some map revealers in the editor How do I remove them?
Q46. How can I give the player resources without the message "GAIA tributed to “?
Q47. How do I set the population limit above 75 in the editor?
Q48. How do I make things happen randomly?

Frequently Asked FAQs

Q49. Is there any way at all to rename units before they are created?
Q50. What is the maximum number for...?
Q51. How do I stop people being defeated during cut-scenes?
Q52. How can I freeze trade carts (stop them moving around on their own)?
Q53. How can I freeze kings (stop them garrisoning inside a building on their own)?
Q54. Why don't lumberjacks etc. count as villagers for the "Objects in area" trigger?
Q55. How do I stop villagers’ names from changing? i.e. I want it to be renamed "Bob" but it keeps changing when the player clicks on a tree. Help!
Q56. Why can't I create or remove gaia objects, with triggers?
Q57. I’ve tried to disable every building in the editor, but some still appear. Why
Q58. How do I do to stop the player from seeing his allies’ line of sight?
Q59. How do I make blackness re-appear on the map after I’ve removed map revealers?
Q60. How do I create an entirely new unit?
Q61. How do I make stuff appear under the “fog of war”?

That’s a cool trick: map

Q62. How can I make cliffs invisible?
Q63. How can I make cliffs walk-able?
Q64. How do I make the light-from-window effect at night?
Q65. How do I make walk-able water?
Q66. Why can't I use bridge ends for walk-able water?
Q67. My gates don’t open when a unit goes through them. How do I fix this?
Q68. How do people get rid of that ugly sand where land hits water or shallows?
Q69. How do I make invisible farms?
Q70. How do you make palisade / stone / fortified walls with no big, flagged corners/ends?
Q71. How can I make waterfalls in my scenario?
Q72. How do I get sailable water on to elevated land?
Q73. Can I get higher than elevation 8?
Q74. What are the areas (size) of the different sized maps?
Q75. How do I make different sized maps?
Q76. How big can I make a map?

That’s a cool trick: units

Q77. How do I make a unit appear from off-screen?
Q78. How do I make 0-HP units? (Also: How do I make invincible units?)
Q79. How can you make zombie / invincible / un-killable units?
Q80. I’ve used a negative effect to reduce a units attack or armour, but there’s no change! What’s wrong?
Q81. What is POREX and where can I get it?
Q82. What are TWAL / Port / Camel Scout / etc. and where can I get them?
Q83. How can I make units look like they are sliding?
Q84. How can I let the player's units rest at inns in my scenario?
Q85. How do I make (regular) units heal like a hero?
Q86. Is there a way to make units invincible without using a minus sign (-)?
Q87. How do you make a death message appear for a single unit that hasn't been created yet?
Q88. How do I achieve the food trick? ( How do I make the player eat food until they reach 0, and die?
Q89. Is it possible to make a “fewer objects in area” condition?

Controlling the computer player

Q90. How do I task a unit created in a trigger?
Q91. How do I make non-player units walk in formation?
Q92. How can I task units to garrison in buildings?
Q93. How do I prevent units from un-garrisoning at the beginning of the game?
Q94. How do I keep wonders from changing ownership when a unit of a different player comes near it?
Q95. How do I prevent the player's monks or missionaries from converting?
Q96. How do I get the computer player to do stuff?
Q97. How do I stop the computer from moving?
Q98. How do I stop the computer players from automatically resigning after a few minutes of game-play?
Q99. What is an AI?
Q100How do I use an AI?
Q101. How do I make a "Taunt AI"?
Q102. What’s the difference between an AI and a PER file?
Q103. Can I use an AI in multiplayer scenarios?
Q104. Does the computer cheat?
Q105. How do I make an AI?
Q106. Immobile Units AI / Gold / Advanced is not working for a certain player. Why is this?
Q107. What does the “AI script goal” trigger effect do?

Other nifty stuff

Q108. What is the "Kill Ratio" condition?
Q109. How do I reward players for every kill they make?
Q110. How can I let the player receive upgrades for money at a blacksmith?
Q111. How do I make my own random map script (RMS)?
Q112. Can I get the beta wooden water-gates and walls on to terrains besides water?
Q113. How do I make a player with no name (so it doesn't choose one if I leave it blank)?
Q114. Is it possible to make buildings walk-able?
Q115. Is it possible to copy triggers, trigger conditions and/or trigger effects? If so, how's it done?
Q116. How do I make explosions in a scenario?
Q117. How do I let the player read signs in my scenario?
Q118. How do I stop players from cheating in my scenario?
Q119. The “difficulty level” condition doesn’t seem to be working. What’s wrong?
Q120. How can I test the game’s difficulty level easily?
Q121. I think design teams are cool and want to make one and be leader. Should I?

Help it’s all gone wrong

Q122. The game is going really slowly, and everything appears jerky. Why?
Q123. How can I stop lag?
Q124. Why does a percentage (%) appear instead of my unit's name, in the grey info box?
Q125. I accidentally deleted the name of a trigger, and can’t seem to select it. How can I select it again?
Q126. I was testing my scenario, and suddenly the game vanished or minimised, and the music’s still playing and it all really sucks! What do I do?
Q127. I was just working on my scenario for hours, and I forgot to save before I tested it. It crashed. Is there anything I can do to recover my work?
Q128. Why does the game crash when I use a “Change View” effect?
Q129. I’ve got heaps of effects in one trigger, and now the game crashes. Is there a limit to the number of effects I can put in one trigger?
Q130. I downloaded a modpack and MPS crashed as it was uninstalling. How do I get rid of it?
Q131. But wont I lose all my scenario / campaign / saved game files!
Q132. I accidentally deleted (or forgot to backup) my empires2_x1_p1.dat. Where can I get a new one?
Q133. I can't find my scenario in the scenarios folder when I exit the game. However, I can see it in Trigger Studio. What's going on?

The Blacksmith

Q134. Where do I unzip / put files that I’ve downloaded?
Q135. I’ve downloaded an .scx scenario and it doesn’t work. What’s wrong?
Q136. I’ve downloaded a .cpx campaign and I can’t play it. What’s wrong?
Q137. How do I submit things to the Blacksmith?
Q138. What is a .zip file and how do I make one?
Q139. What files do I need to include with my scenario?
Q140. Why is my submission not showing up in the blacksmith?
Q141. Why is my review or comment not showing up at the Blacksmith?
Q142. The review guidelines suck! How can I get them changed?

Answers

The Forums

Q1. I can’t find an answer to my problem in the FAQs! What do I do?
The first thing you should do is search the Scenario Design forums using the search feature at the bottom of the main forum page. The odds are that someone’s asked this question before some time in the last seven years or so. Don’t just try searching for one word, either! If you want to find out how to build a wall, for example, try a search for “wall,” then try a search for “build.” If you still can’t find an answer, then have a look at the articles on the Tsuniversity and the DGDN websites. If it’s a general question, about pictures, sound, windows, or something like that, google it. If, after all that, you still can’t find your answer, then refer to Q2.

Q2. I’m thinking about starting a new topic in the forums. Should I?
Don’t be afraid to start a new topic in the forums, if you can’t find the answer a a question you might have. Make sure you’ve checked Q1, though. When starting a topic, please consider the following:
  • Try and give the topic a useful title. “Help” may express your emotions, but wont help anyone searching for an answer in the future.
  • Don’t SHOUT the topic (see Q5)
  • It’s usually considered bad form to announce a project you’ve just started
  • It’s usually considered bad form to start a “competition” if others are already running
  • It’s terrible form to start more than one topic on the same day, especially if its your first day at the forums.
    An excellent guide to forum etiquette is available at catb.org. It is worth reading from start to finish. Flaming Arrow has also written an excellent post on the topic

• Q3. What do those abbreviations mean / stand for?
    The most commonly-used acronyms are:
  • CoC: Code of Conduct
  • SD: Scenario Designing
  • IMO / IMHO: In My Opinion / In My Humble Opinion
  • ATW: Against Thee Wickedly - Great teaser by Luke Gevaerts. Luke has recently re-appeared and may one day complete the project
  • BS: AoK Heaven BlackSmith
  • CC: CrystalCrown - HG Cherub since June 16, 2003
  • IIRC: If I Recall Correctly
  • own / owned: an insult that is humiliating or argument-winning; "Man, I owned him over and over and he never gave up!"
  • pwn / pwnt: see own
    An extended list, well worth reading, is the AoK Heaven's Abbreviations and Shorthand Guide.

• Q4. What is a mod?
    A mod can be two things: either a forum moderator, or a modpack. Generally, a moderator ensures that the forums run smoothly, and that every one obeys the Code of Conduct. The Heavengames FAQ says that “Moderators control individual forums. They can edit, delete, or prune any posts in their forums. If you have a question about a particular forum, you should direct it to your forum moderator.” You can recognize moderators by their coloured forum names.
    Modpacks, on the other hand, are “ways of changing the graphics, sounds, labels, and stats in AoK.” These should properly be discussed in the ModPack Discussion Forum. While you’re there, be sure to check out Shadowflare’s ModPack Guidance Centre.

Q5. I’m really excited. SHOULD I TYPE IN CAPS?
    No, you shouldn’t. Please also spell-check your posts before sending them, and try using correct grammar. That way people will understand what you actually mean. Using 1337 abbreviations doesn’t mean u r l337, either.

Q6. I’d like to start a new topic. What should I call it ?
    Rather than calling it “HELP ME!!!!!,” give the topic a name that means something. You’re more likely to get a response, and it will make it easier for people searching the forums in the future.

Q7. How many topics should I begin the day I join?
    Statistics have proven that people who are a member of the forums for a period of time before they begin posting earn more respect, and are considered better community members, than people who posted ten threads on the day they joined.

Q8. How can I uses quotes / bold / fade / colours / etc. in the forums?
    Forum colours, etc, are included by using BBcode. Heavengames has a guide here, and a longer guide is available from phpBB.com. Not all the tags have been enabled in the forums, though.

Q9. How do I take screen-shots?
    To take a screenshot of what you are looking at press PRINTSCREEN.

Q10. How do I take map-shots?
    To take a full map screenshot (map shot), press Ctrl and F12 together. You need The Conquerors Expansion to take map shots.

Q11. So, I took a screenshot. How do I show it to other people?
    To show other people your work over the forums, you will have to upload it to a picture-hosting server like Image Shack, xs.to, Photobucket, or putfile.
    You can then provide a link to it using either the

[url]
    or

[img]
    BBcode tags (see Q8). Note that only images of less than 150kb will display in the forums.
    You’ll almost certainly need to reduce the file-size of your screenshots if you want people to view them. Changing them to a .jpg, .gif, or .png is the simplest way to reduce their size. Check out tucows to find a program that converts images well, otherwise you can use paint: “open the file with MSPaint and Click Save As. There will be a bar on the bottom of the Save window that says save as .BMP. Switch it to .jpg.”

Q12 How many triggers must my scenario have before its good?
    Triggers are not indicative of how good a scenario is.

Q13. How many triggers does my map need before I can brag about it?
    It’s considered poor form to boast about the number of triggers that your scenario has (see Q12). However, if you must do so, then bear in mind that many of the top rated campaigns have well over a thousand triggers. I wouldn’t start mentioning trigger numbers until you have at least that many.

Q14. I’ve spend several hours making a scenario. Should I tell everyone?
    Probably not. Many experienced designers spend months, or even years, working on a scenario. Saying that “I spent all day on this” will not elicit awe or sympathy.

Q15. Someone’s asking for play-testers. What does that mean?
    Before publicly-releasing a scenario or campaign, many designers like to have other people check the game for them, to ensure that there’s no errors (bugs) that they missed. Sometimes designers will publicly ask for people to undertake this testing (playtesters). If you volunteer to playtest for someone, you are making a commitment to play the game several times, and report back to the designer about any bugs you found, as well as with general comments about the game’s strengths and weaknesses. A good playtester usually plays the game several times on each difficulty level. The first time it is usually best to try and play the game “properly.” In subsequent attempts the aim is usually to “break” the game by doing random, stupid, or unexpected things, thus revealing undiscovered bugs.
    Volunteering to playtest and not providing feedback is the easiest way to get a dubious reputation in the forums. Conversely, sending out levels that are nowhere near completed to playtesters will frustrate everyone!

Where do I start?

Q16. How can I place gold mines, forage bushes, yurts, stone mines, etc.?
    Click on the Units tab at the top of the editor. Select Gaia (Earth) in the players scroll menu and then click the "Others" tab. This is where you find rocks, flowers, plants, sea rocks, flags, cracks, broken carts, etc.
    To recap: Editor => Units => Players - Gaia => Others

Q17. I can’t change the name of an object! Can I?
    You can do it easily using the “Change Object Name” trigger effect. You must have The Conquerors expansion pack installed to access this feature.

Q18. I can’t find the “Change object name” trigger effect. Where is it?
    See Q17.

Q19. “Change Object Name” isn’t working! Why not?
    There could be several reasons for this. Anastasia has written an excellent article on Everything You Wanted To Know About The Change Object Name Effect, and this should solve your problem.

Q20. What is map copy and how can I do it?
    Map Copy is basically copy & paste for your scenario. To do it, click on the "Terrain" tab at the top of the editor. Once there, click on "Map Copy". Then set the area that you wish to copy by dragging a box around it with your curser. Finally, click "Copy Selected Area" and choose where you want to copy the terrain to (and units and buildings).
    To recap: Editor => Terrain => Map Copy - Set the Area = Copy Selected Area - Choose where to copy to.
    While in there you may notice some other options such a "Change Player". To use that, after choosing the area, use the little scroll to select the player that you want to change the ownership of the map copied units to. This tool is useful when you realize that you have made a whole enemy town using Player 1 when you intended it to be Player 2.
    Warning: Map copying rotates everything in one direction so it makes cliffs invisible and makes forests extremely uniform. The newer versions of Trigger Studio now allow you to map-copy without rotation (see Q26).

Q21. How can I make my scenario's starting position over the character, not over the transport in the corner?
    Go to the "Options" tab at the top of the editor, select the player whose start position that you want to set, go to the desired starting position and click on "Set View". You can check the view by pressing the “Go to View” button.

Q22. How do I make an AI (Artificial Intelligence)?
    This is covered more fully in the section “Controlling the Computer Player”. If you can’t wait, then check out CPSB.doc on you’re Conquerors CD, and Berserker Jerker’s AI Tutorial for Scenario Designers. For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario.

Q23. How do I make a Random Map Script?
    There is an excellent document about RM scripting in the "docs" folder of your Conquerors disk called “rmsg.doc”. It is also worth checking out Bultro’s New RMS Guide. Other great articles, including Your First Random Map Script, can be found in DGDN's RM Scripting Articles. Thank you, Vauxhall for writing that entire section of DGDN.
    To edit your RMS scripts, you may want to check out Bryan’s RMS Editor.

Q24. Can I change the way the game looks?
    With skill and hard work, you can change practically everything in the game. This is best discussed in the Modpack Forum

Q25. Are there other programmes that I can use for scenario designing?
    Yes, there are. For editing scenarios, you would use DiGiT’s Trigger Studio (see Q26). Lloyd Kinsella’s Campaign Manager is very useful for extracting scenarios from campaigns. Berry66’s ScriptEd is a text editor specifically designed for writing AoK:TC AI files (see Q22). Finally, Bryan’s RMS Editor is useful for Random Map Scripting (see Q23).

Q26. What is Trigger Studio and where do I get it?
    Trigger Studio is a beta (unfinished and unstable) application by DiGiT which has recently revolutionised scenario design, allowing countless new tricks and features. It can be downloaded from the Blacksmith, but DiGiT often updates it, so it is worth visiting his website to check for the latest version. There is a forum thread about Trigger Studio.

Q27. I have a question about music or sound. Where should I look?
    The place to start is Cesar Bernardi’s excellent Sounds FAQ. If you have a question about sound editing, try Luke Gevaerts’ Conclusive List of Audio Tools.

Q28. How do I save scenarios as a campaign?
    In the game, select “Map Editor,” then “Campaign Editor.” In the Campaign Editor, enter a name in the text-box labelled “Campaign Filename.” Then select the scenarios you want from the list, and press the “add” button. Finally, press “Save” and then “OK” to save you campaign.
    A more sophisticated tool for doing this is Lloyd Kinsella’s Campaign Manager.

Q29. I can’t put a minus sign in the editor! What’s wrong with me?
    There’s nothing wrong with you. You must copy and paste (right click or ctrl+v) to enter a minus sign. Don’t open the effect again or the number will re-set to zero! You can also enter a minus sign in Trigger Studio, but don’t open that effect again in the standard editor.

The Basics

Q30. How do I make instructions appear in the Instructions menu?
    To make instructions appear in the "Instructions Menu" (at the start screen) in your campaign, no triggers are needed. Just click on the "Messages" tab at the top of the editor, select "Scenario Instructions" and type in your message.
    Note: This is also where you type your Hints and Scouts messages.

Q31. How can I change the colour of the text in the effect "Display Instructions”?
    To change the colour, put this tag < COLOR > before the text and close the brackets. Substitute the word “COLOR” for one of the available colours below. The available colours are:

<BLUE> <RED> <GREEN> <YELLOW> <AQUA> <PURPLE> <GREY> <ORANGE>

Note: GREY is spelled with the letter E, grey (not gray). For the cyan colour, use "AQUA". The color RED has a bug which causes a > to appear before the text. For RED, see Q32.

Q32. How can I make text red without having a "<" appear in front of the message?
    That is a problem called the "red bug". Luckily a solution has been found: Type <..>, write the text and hit enter until you get to the bottom of the box, and type the tag < RED >. Like this:

<..> -Your Text here- [ENTER] [ENTER] [ENTER] [ENTER] <RED>

Q33. How can I get text to appear in the centre of the screen?
    To get your text in the horizontal centre of the display you must have patience! Just insert a lot of spaces until the text appears centred. If you add too many spaces, a new line will begin.
    To get the text to appear in different (vertical) positions, set the value (0,1 or 2) in the small box in the "Display Instructions" effect. This is how the different values appear:

|----------------------Top of Screen--------------------|
    |Value: 0
    |
    |Value: 1
    |
    |Value: 2
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |--------------------Bottom of Screen-----------------|

Q34. What is a string table?
    Ensemble Studios used string tables in the campaigns that shipped with the game so they were able to write out the messages in different languages, without having to edit the campaign for each language. Ignore it as it is of no use to us. - Crystal Crown.

Q35. How do I make Objectives appear during the game?
    Create a trigger and click on its name to get its options. You will notice that there is a check box marked "Display As Objective". Obviously, if you check this, that trigger will be "Displayed As An Objective".
    Trigger example:

Trigger0
    Display As Objective: Yes
    Starting State: On / Off
    Trigger Looping: No
    -----------------------------------
    Condition0: Destroy Object - Set Object - Enemy Castle
    Effect0: Declare Victory: Player 1

• This will display: "Raze the castle" in the Description box. When the conditions are met in an "objective trigger" (the castle destroyed in this example), the text will become crossed out.
  • If you want something to be in the objectives menu never to be crossed out, (such as item lists or overall instructions), simply make a condition that is impossible to achieve.
  • The “Description Order” box accepts numbers. The higher the number, the closer to the top of the objectives box the text will appear, regardless of the order in which the objectives were activated.
  • An excellent article is Berserker Jerker’s Adding Objectives to a Scenario.

• Q36. How do I make a line appear through objectives when they’re completed?
    Make sure that all the conditions in the trigger with the instructions are achieved.

Q37. How do I make objectives disappear when they’re completed?
    De-activate the trigger with the objectives.

Q38. How do I make item lists below "Objectives"?
    Use these triggers from Item Lists by Ranger.
    For the Normal Objectives:

Trigger 0:
    Displayer Objective = Yes
    Objective message = Objectives
    Objective String = 100
    Starting state: on
    Loop: off
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Condition 0: Something that is impossible to do in the game
    For Items:
    Trigger 1:
    Objective message = Items
    Objective String = 85
    -----------------------------------------------------
    For Weapons & Shields:
    Trigger 2:
    Objective message = Weapons & shields
    Objective String = 40
    ---------------------------------------------------
    etc etc etc...

Go on as long as you want. Keep lowering the String.
    Now if the game will start you will see this list in the scn objectives:
    Objectives
    Items
    Weapons & Shields
    Every time you want to add a new weapon you have to make sure you type in the Objective string a number under the < 40. For each Item between 41 and 84 and Objectives between 86 and 99.
    © Copyright 2002, Woad Creations.

Q39. How do I include a picture at the start of a scenario, on the instructions screen?
    You need to have a picture in bitmap (.bmp) format, with the dimensions of 548 x 288 pixels., which uses the AoK palette (see Q40).
    There is a default image in your AoK folder, named “scenariobkg.bmp.” You can use this as a template for your own images, pasting things onto it. Paint works perfectly fine for this, although a more advanced (and expensive) program such as Paintshop or Photoshop could be useful.
    Once you have designed your image, put it in your default AoK folder. You can then select it in the editor, under the “Cinematics” tab.
    If the colours appear “messed up,” you’re not using the correct palette (see Q40).

Q40. What is a “palette” and where do I get one?
    A palette is a set of (usually) 256 colours which are used in a digital image. Different games and programs use different, custom-designed palettes, depending on the appearance of the game. Basically, if you save an image using a particular palette, your image editor will only save colours that are included in that palette. Other colours are usually changed to the most similar colour in the palette.
    Depending on your image editor, this process of replacement may be more or less successful.
    If you use paint, you don’t have to worry about palettes; simply open up an imahe that already uses the palette you want, and paste or draw over it. When you save the image, the palette will automatically be applied.
    Other programs have there own versions of palette management. I’ve (Dave) found PaintShop Pro to be the best: simply choose “load palette’ under the “colors” menu.

Q41. How do I lower a unit's max HP / Attack?
    There are two methods of lowering a unit's HP /Attack. The first one is unstable because if you look at the effect again, it resets itself. Basically, you must get a minus sign ( - ) into the "Quantity" box. But, the game doesn't allow you to type the minus sign directly into the box. To get a "-" sign into the Quantity box, go into any Message box or trigger name, enter a minus sign and copy & paste it into the quantity box. Highlight the subtraction symbol, right click, select "copy" out of the menu, go to the Quantity box and select paste (using the menu, once again). Do not select that effect again, otherwise it will rest to 0.
    The second method is much more stable and easier (but more complex to figure). There is a magic overflow number that, when reached (in the quantity box) it subtracts from the original HP/Attack number for the unit. The magic number is 65536. To indicate how much you want to lower the unit's attack or HP by, subtract that number from the magic number. For example: If I want to lower a unit's HP or attack by 20, I would type 65516 (65536 - 20). Thank you, CrystalCrown.
    For more information on magic numbers go to Laws of the Map Editor #7: Numerical Manipulation and All of the magical numbers in AOK:TC.
    Note that if you lower a units attack, the original attack will still be visible when you select the unit in-game.

Q42. How do you set a unit to "Defensive" stance?
    You cannot set a unit on defensive stance with the editor, but heroes are automatically set on defensive at the beginning of the game, so you can use them and rename.

Q43. How do you set a unit to the "No Attack Stance" stance?
    You can set a unit to no attack stance by using the "Freeze Object" effect.

Q44. I can't select more than one unit with Change Object Name / Patrol / effect. How do you do it?
    To select more than one unit with an effect, IE “Patrol”, make sure that the player who owns those units is selected in the "Players" tab at the top of the editor. After making sure of that, just hold control and click on each of the units, or click and drag a box around the units.

Q45. I’ve placed some map revealers in the editor How do I remove them?
    Press Ctrl + A on your keyboard to see the map revealers outlines in the editor. Then simply map copy terrain over them. Note: Map revealers can’t be deleted with the delete function under the units tab.
    Alternatively, open up the scenario in Trigger Studio, open up the “units” tab, select the Map Revealers and press delete.

Q46. How can I give the player resources without the message "GAIA tributed to “?
    To prevent the tribute message, rather than having Gaia tribute resources to player 1, have the player tribute negative resources to gaia. (With a minus symbol). Thanks again to Crystal Crown.

Q47. How do I set the population limit above 75 in the editor?
    In AoK, this is not possible. You can create more units with the "Create Object" effect, though. In AoK: TC, this is possible by simply altering the population limit under the players tab.
    It is also possible to change the population limit during the game using Scenario_T_C’s unbelievably good New Trigger Tricks Template. Full instructions for this are included at the download location.

Q48. How do I make things happen randomly?
    There are several ways to make things happen randomly. If you can do basic AI scripting, then check out Luke_Feanor’s Random Gate Passwords Utility. Otherwise, Nixck has discovered an excellent trigger-based system.

Frequently Asked FAQs

Q49. Is there any way at all to rename units before they are created?
    This was a problem that plagued designers for years. There is still no way to re-name a unit created during the game. However, two work-arounds have recently found which have effectively solved the problem.
    The first was discovered by Berserker Jerker, and involved placing 256 objects (such as plants or beta FLAGXs) on one tile. This would effectively “overload” the game’s graphics, making everything on that tile disappear. Units could be placed on the tile, re-named, and then tasked to “appear” in full view.
    More recently, Trigger Studio has allowed us to make units effectively invisible by garrisoning them inside themselves. Newidea was the first the publicize this trick with his fantastic Invisibility Cloak Utility.

Q50. What is the maximum number for...?
  • The characters that can be typed into a "Send Chat" effect? 63.
  • The characters that can be typed into a "Display Instructions" effect? 255
  • The characters that can be typed into a "Change Object Name" effect? 255
  • "Change Units HP" or "Change Object Attack"? 32767
    All of this info was taken from All of the magical numbers in AOK:TC, a very useful thread. Thanks to scenario_t_c, Kent.Newbie, APPLE, Rushot, and CrystalCrown.

• Q51. How do I stop people being defeated during cut-scenes?

Q52. How can I freeze trade carts (stop them moving around on their own)?
    To freeze a trade cart, use a looping trigger with the "Task Object" effect set on the trade cart, but do not place a Location.

Q53. How can I freeze kings (stop them garrisoning inside a building on their own)?
    No AI can overwrite the King's urge to seek cover in one of his castles or building. But, there are three other ways to freeze a king.
    The first and most obvious is to use the "Task Object" effect and do not place a Location. This one gets the job done, but you cannot task the king anywhere else and his is completely frozen.
    The second option is to make the king and his city separate players. The king will not garrison in an ally's buildings.
    The final (and defiantly the best) solution is to use a Shah instead, and simply rename it. The Shah can be found under the "Heroes" tab under "Units". You can task him anywhere, like a normal unit, and does not have to stay perfectly still. Some people have said the Shah runs to his castle as well. For me, personally, the Shah works. This could be a problem with different game versions. IE if you have the latest “C” patch update for the AOK.

Q54. Why don't lumberjacks etc. count as villagers for the "Objects in area" trigger?
    The reason object in area is not working for all villagers, is due to the fact there are 16 different types of villagers. Selecting “Villager” from the “unit list” means object in area will only detect idle villagers (nothing assigned to them, eg lumberjack). The solution is simple, use the “Object group” list instead, and select “Civilian” from the drop down menu. This will detect all villagers.

Q55. How do I stop villagers’ names from changing? i.e. I want it to be renamed "Bob" but it keeps changing when the player clicks on a tree. Help!
    Loop the trigger that renames the villager .

Q56. Why can't I create or remove gaia objects, with triggers?
    You can, but if you go back and look at the effect again after configuring it, it will reset (like the - sign). No work-around, besides "Don't select it.".
    Note: This only applies for gaia units found under the "other" tab. Triggers that remove / create gaia units (or animals), heroes or buildings will work as normal.

Q57. I’ve tried to disable every building in the editor, but some still appear. Why?
    For unknown reasons, the player always has to be able to build at least three types of buildings. It is possible to allow only walls, wonders, and houses, or three other relatively useless buildings.

Q58. How do I do to stop the player from seeing his allies’ line of sight?
    Under "Options" at the top of the editor, in the "Disable" part, click on technologies. Scroll down until you see "Cartography" and move it into the "Disabled" column.

Q59. How do I make blackness re-appear on the map after I’ve removed map revealers?
    This trick has been around for quite a while, but Dantares IV has taken the time to write a brief tutorial about it.

Q60. How do I create an entirely new unit?
    This is a long and complicated process, and best discussed at the ModPack Forums. I would not recommend attempting this unless you are especially keen.

Q61. How do I make stuff appear under the “fog of war”?

That’s a cool trick: map

Q62. How can I make cliffs invisible?
    To make cliffs invisible, place your cliffs, and simply rotate them in the "Units" section. (Select "Rotate" as the option). To check where you have already place invisible cliffs, hit Control + A; that command outlines everything on the map.
    Note: To remove invisible cliffs, place new one over them and delete those, or do it in-game with by removing Gaia where the invisible cliffs are.

Q63. How can I make cliffs walk-able?
    To make cliffs walk-able, you must place a building directly over them and remove it with triggers. To get the building on top of them, place the building first, and then drag the cliffs under it. Walk-able cliffs become un-walk-able after the game has been saved and reloaded. To work around this, warn the player not to save for a second or two and remove the building just before the player can see it.
    Apparently newIdea’s Invisibility Cloak works for this, although I (Dave) haven’t been able to get it to work on my computer.

Q64. How do I make the light-from-window effect at night?
    To make this effect make sure that the player has seen the city or building that you are using the trick on, but has no units or map revealers round it. That makes it night (see through fog). To get the small specs of light to show up, research spies (with triggers) and use the "Place Foundation" effect by the windows with the source player being an enemy. You must first remove all buildings and units of every single player on the map, except for the 'survival' units, which keep each player away from the 'Player defeated'. This is really only useful for cut scenes. - Thank you crasher

To get this effect, create and remove a middle section part of a bridge. This trick can be used for wading, crossing swamps, flooding (as it will change any terrain into water), magical warlocks, etc. Note: The walkable water is not crossable by ships anymore.

Q66. Why can't I use bridge ends for walk-able water?
    Bridge ends cannot be used for walkable water because when you "create & remove" them, they make desert terrain. This, by itself is a whole new trick. It can be used for getting rid of walkable water, a river drying up, ice or snow melting, etc.

Q67. My gates don’t open when a unit goes through them. How do I fix this?
    This is a bug that seems to occur when a scenario is tested many times from the editor. Multiple gate-ends pile up underneath the gate you placed. This is solved by deleting all the extra gate-ends in the editor, and then re-saving the scenario.

Q68. How do people get rid of that ugly sand where land hits water or shallows?
    There are several ways to achieve this.
    The first way is to create & remove a bridge middle near the shore. The second way is to use a new terrain type “shore-less water.” You can map-copy this from Cheezy_Monkey’s Eye Candy Template. A final method is to use Trigger Studio: under the “Map” tab, select the areas of “beach” on the mini-map. Then select new terrain type from the drop-down list. The advantage of the third method is that all depths of water can be made shore-less, as well as shallows.

Q69. How do I make invisible farms?
    There are several ways to achieve this. Rather than trying to explain here, Use this Utility by Cknchaos.

Q70. How do you make palisade / stone / fortified walls with no big, flagged corners/ends?
    To create walls with no corner or end pieces, simply remove them with triggers. Deleting or erasing them in the editor will not work. If you do not have c-patch installed on your machine, you can remove the end pieces with "Erase Buildings" function under the Terrain tab to achieve the same effect.

Q71. How can I make waterfalls in my scenario?
    There are three nice, different methods of making waterfalls.
    The first one is using cliffs. First add any trees or eye candy you will want around the waterfall. Then, make two rows of cliffs with the ends meeting, but do not quite connect them. Do this again on another row below the first. Now add shallow water between the cracks in the cliff and deep water at the bottom and top. Add sea rocks and plants. Voila! This article at woad by DW goes into detail with pictures and examples.
    The second way is to have water on elevated surfaces. This gives the appearance of a slow, downhill fall. There are two ways of getting elevated water: creating and removing many bridges on the elevation or map copying elevation on to water. Both work. Add sea rocks and maybe some shore less snow.
    The final way looks like a rushing waterfall. Take a high elevation brush set on tiny, and click anywhere once. Then move the curser one square to the (straight) left and click again. This will give you a little chute on which to make your waterfall. Cover this chute and a small radius around the bottom (of the falls) with snow and soften the edges with the shore less water trick. Now it is just a matter of putting water at the top and bottom of the snow-chute. Also add some trees & eye candy on both sides. Add rocks and sea rocks to the bottom and top. Hint: Add another, smaller fall next to the first one. It gives a nice effect. Here is a nice example of the last option, by AnastasiaKafka (252kb).

Q72. How do I get sailable water on to elevated land?
    To get sail-able water on to elevation, you first have to make an area of water (just on flat ground), and a hill. Next, map-copy (if you don't know how to map-copy, check Q6) a part of the water on to the elevation. This may take a few tries, as you might accidentally cover the elevation completely. Once you have a little bit of water on a slope, simply copy it to wherever you want.

Q73. Can I get higher than elevation 8?
    Yep. Map-copy up to elevation ten from TeutonicCrusader’s Elevation 10 Improved Utility, or map-copy up to elevation 16 from Dave_Earl’s groundbreaking campaign Nineteen Years.

Q74. What are the areas (size) of the different sized maps?
  • A tiny-size map? 72 x 72.
  • A small-size map? 96 x 96.
  • A medium-size map? 120 x 120.
  • A large-size map? 144 x 144.
  • A huge-size map? 200 x 200.
  • A gigantic-size map? 255 x 255.

• Q75. How do I make different sized maps?
    You can get different sized maps here, here, and here.
    To make your own, use Trigger Studio. Open up the “Map/Terrain” tab, and enter the size of the map you want in the “Map Size (square)” box.
    It is not possible to make rectangular maps.

Q76.. How big can I make a map?
    256 x 256, after which the game crashes.

That’s a cool trick: units

Q77. How do I make a unit appear from off-screen?
    They are not actually appearing from off-screen, they are just being created at the edge of the map.

Q78. How do I make 0-HP units? (Also: How do I make invincible units?)
    To make units whose HP reads zero, but are still alive (Note: These units become invincible, as well) use either one of these triggers:

Trigger0 -
    Display As Objective: Yes / No
    ---------------------------------------
    Condition0:
    Effect0: Change Object HP - (-*)
    Effect1: Damage Object - (-1)
    Effect 2: Change Object HP - (*)
    * = the unit's maximum HP

Or:

Trigger0 -
    Condition0:
    Effect0: Change Object HP - (-*)
    Effect1: Damage Object - (-*)
    Effect 2: Change Object HP - (*)
    Effect 3: Damage Object - (*)

* = the unit's maximum HP.

Q79. How can you make zombie / invincible / un-killable units?
    To make a unit that has no HP bar and is invincible, use this:

Trigger 0:
    Display as Objective: Yes or No
    Starting State: On or Off
    Looping: No
    --------------------------
    Effect 0: Change Object HP - Quantity: - *units full HP*
    Effect 1: Damage Object - Quantity: -70 - *units full HP*
    Effect 2: Change Object HP - Quantity: 70 -*units full HP*
    Effect 3: Damage Object - Quantity: - *units full HP*

So, if you were zombie-izing a champion, you would replace "*units full HP*" with 70, its full HP.
    Also, scenario_t_c_ has found a way to do this to gaia units, who maximum HP cannot be altered:

Trigger 1
    Looping: on
    Effect0 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect1 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect2 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect3 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect4 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect5 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect6 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect7 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect8 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect9 Damage object 2147483648
    Effect1023 Damage object 2147483648

P.S.: Should you don't want to set up such a large number(1024) of trigger effects, you can ask the help of "timer" and "looping" options.
    Both methods will make the unit become invincible. (However, at some cases with the second solution, the unit or building won't have their hitpoint shown as 0/x.)
    You may want to refer to Q127 to help you get that many effects. (Don't make them all, just make quite a few and put set them to looping enabled.

Q80. I’ve used a negative effect to reduce a units attack or armour, but there’s no change! What’s wrong?
    The effect has probably worked, it’s just that the number displayed wont go below the original amount.

Q81. What is POREX and where can I get it?
    Porex is a mysterious beta unit that looks like a gold mine and makes villagers become invisible when they gather it. They become visible if tasked to anything else. You can find it in this http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5627]EyeCandy Template by CheeZy_monkey., and in Trigger Studio.

Q82. What are TWAL / Port / Camel Scout / etc. and where can I get them?
    These are beta units. They where intended to be in the game but didn't make the final version. Some of them (like those listed above) are hidden in the game files and some show up when you open AoE scenarios in AoK. You can find the most popular one’s in the http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5627]EyeCandy Template by CheeZy_monkey. Just map copy them into your own scenarios. You can also find them in Trigger Studio, or unlock them using Genied 2. If you don’t want to learn how to use Trigger Studio or Genied, don’t worry! Magik Amazon has used Genied to create an “Advanced Editor” with all the betas revealed.

Q83. How can I make units look like they are sliding?
    Instead, of using the "Task Object" effect, use the "Unload" effect. (Created to task units out of ships) When the unload effect is used on land, the unit glides. You can combine this with the walkable cliffs to make a units appear to be falling off a cliff. Note: You can stop units from "gliding" by tasking them to an actual object, instead of a location... even an allied one.

Q84. How can I let the player's units rest at inns in my scenario?
    Use these triggers, to the letter:

Trigger0
    Display As Objective: Yes/No
    Starting State: On
    Looping: Yes
    ------------------------------------------------------------ --
    Condition0: Object Selected - The Inn Keeper
    Effect0: Display Instructions - Inn Keeper: Would you like to rest at the Inn? If so, step
    on the flag” (Or something of that sort it doesn’t really matter)
    Effect1: Change Ownership - The Inn Keeper to player 1
    Effect2: Change Ownership - The Inn Keeper from player 1 to whatever player it was.
    Effect3: Activate Trigger - Trigger1
    Trigger1
    Starting State: Off
    ------------------------------------------------------------ --
    Condition0: Object in Area - Player 1’s Units - Quantity 1 - In the Area of the flag.
    Effect0: Change Ownership - Your unit to an allied player.
    Effect2: Change View - Any unexplored area
    Effect3: Display Instructions- ZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzz……..
    Effect4: Activate Trigger - Trigger2
    Trigger2
    ------------------------------------------------------------ ---
    Effect0: Create Object - Monk (make sure its an allied player)- Somewhere near the Inn
    Effect2: Task Object - Monk - From that Area to your unit that is resting
    Effect3: Activate Trigger - Trigger3
    Trigger3
    ------------------------------------------------------------ ---
    Condition0: Timer - 30 seconds (or however long you want the rest to be)
    Effect0: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger2
    Effect1: Remove Object - The monks from the area around the Inn
    Effect2: Change Ownership - Your unit back to your possession.
    Effect3: Change View - Back to the Inn
    Effect4: Display Instructions - “(Your Characters name): I had better get going, thanks for the use of your Inn.

© Copyright 2002, Woad Creations. Thanks to Dark_Warrior_1_ of Woad Creations

Q85. How do I make (regular) units heal like a hero?
    To make a unit heal like a hero, use this trigger:

Trigger0:
    Display as Objective: No
    Trigger Looping: Yes
    --------------------------------------------------
    Condition0: Timer - 1 ~ 3, controls how fast a unit recovers. The longer the time, the slower the unit recovers.
    Effect0: Damage Object: - 1
    Effect1: Damage Object: - (16777216 - MAX HP)
    Effect2: Damage Object: (16777216 - MAX HP)

There is a thread about this: Units Healing like a Hero without going over the MAX HP and using monk. Thanks again, scenario_t_c.

Q86. Is there a way to make units invincible without using a minus sign (-)?
    Yes, there is. Let's say you wanted to make a champion with 70 HP invincible. To get the invincible unit effect without using a minus sign, you would use this trigger:

Trigger 1:
    Looping: off
    Effect 1: Change object HP 65466 (65536 - 70 = 65466)
    Effect 2: Damage object 4294967226 (4294967296 - 70 = 4294967226)
    Effect 3: Change object HP 70
    Effect 4: Damage object 70

The bolded numbers have to be changed to affect different units. So, for a 40 HP villager, you would replace the 70s with 40s, and the trigger would look like this:

Trigger 2:
    Looping: off
    Effect 1: Change object HP 65496 (65536 - 40 = 65496)
    Effect 2: Damage object 4294967256 (4294967296 - 40 = 4294967256)
    Effect 3: Change object HP 40
    Effect 4: Damage object 40

Thanks to scenario_t_c for discovering the trick.

Q87.; How do you make a death message appear for a single unit that hasn't been created yet?
    Try using this type of trigger:

Trigger0
    Display as Objective Yes/No
    Starting State: Off (Activate when the unit is created.)
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Condition0: Timer 2 (just to be on the safe side)
    Condition1: Own Fewer Objects - 0 (The unit must be unique to the player. Heroes work best.)
    Effect0: Display Instructions - (Unit's Name): Comrades, I have been wounded.
    (Or you can put something else of that nature.)

Thanks, bleedteal.

Q88. How do I achieve the food trick? ( How do I make the player eat food until they reach 0, and die?
    Sadly, in AoK "Accumulate Attribute - Food Stockpile - Quantity: 0" won't work to detect when the player is out of food, as the triggers fire when the player has 0 food or more. So, slightly more complex triggers are needed:

Trigger 1 (Have Food)
    Display As Objective: No
    Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Food - 1
    Effect 1: Change Object Attack - 5
    Effect 2: Activate Trigger 2
    Trigger 2 (Loop to detect no food)
    Effect 1: Activate Trigger 3
    Effect 2: Activate Trigger 4
    Trigger 3
    Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Food - 1
    Effect 1: Deactivate Trigger 3
    Trigger 4
    Effect 1: Set Object Attack (HERO UNIT) - -5
    Effect 2: Activate Trigger 1
    Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger 2

Thanks, DB.

Q89. Is it possible to make a “fewer objects in area” condition?
    Not directly, but you can achieve it using three triggers, though:

Trigger 0
    Effect 1: Activate Trigger: Trigger 1
    Effect 2: Activate Trigger: Trigger 2
    Trigger 1
    Condition 1: Objects in Area: (Objects, area, number of objects)
    Effect 1: Deactivate Trigger: Trigger 2
    Effect 2: Activate Trigger: Trigger 0
    Trigger 2
    Condition: Timer 2
    Effect 1: (whatever you want to happen if fewer objects are in area)

Oliver has complained that the above method is “risky”: “sometimes the timer in trigger 2 doesn't behave correctly.” He suggests using:

Trigger 0 - starting: off, looping: off
    Effect 0 - deactivate trigger 1
    Effect 1 - deactiate trigger 2
    Effect ... - whatever you want to happen if fewer objects are in area
    Trigger 1 - starting: on, looping: on
    Effect 0 - activate trigger 0
    Trigger 2 - starting: on, looping: on
    Condition 0 - Objects in Area: (Objects, area, number of objects)
    Effect 0 - Deactivate trigger 0

Controlling the computer player

Q90. How do I task a unit created in a trigger?
    Set the area and unit type rather than the unit itself.

Q91. How do I make non-player units walk in formation?
    You must use the "Patrol" effect rather than the "Task Object" effect. To prevent the units from going back and forth, when they reach their destination, change their ownership to a different player (of the same color, preferably) for at least two seconds. Dark-Warrior_1 has written a great article on this.

Q92. How can I task units to garrison in buildings?
    Sorry, but there is no possible way to do this. There is a tricky workaround, though:
    Have the unit walk over to the garrison-able structure and have the player select the structure. Then, before removing the unit, place a king BEHIND the structure and have him garrison inside the structure. Then, remove the unit. To un-garrison, have the player select the tower again, create the new unit (under different ownership), change its ownership, and remove the king from the tower. – DM.

Q93. How do I prevent units from un-garrisoning at the beginning of the game?
    Sorry, but this seems impossible, except for these instances contributed by Ana:
  • Unfortunately, we cannot task units with a trigger into buildings during game play (Transport Ship and Ram is possible).
  • The exceptions are the King unit, that does automatically seek to garrison inside a building, and Villagers will garrison when under attack.
  • Garrisoning units into buildings before test/play, and to *remain inside* during game play can only be done in the Player One Position and Gaia.
  • All other Computer Positions will eject or un-garrison units at the start of the game.
    Anastasia tested the limits of this in the past, and this is what she recalls from those tests.
  • Gaia Units garrisoned into Gaia buildings will un-garrison upon capture by Player One.
  • Player One Units will remain inside until manually un-garrisoned.
  • Changing Ownership of Player One to Allied Player Units inside P1 Buildings will not eject the Units (P1 Building with Allied Units inside).
  • Changing Ownership of Player One Building to Allied Building with P1 Units inside will not eject P1 Units (Allied Building with P1 Units inside).
  • All other circumstances seem to eject or un-garrison the units right away.
    Thank you - Anastasia.

• Oliver notes that certain beta units are not ejected, for example the OREMN. Garrisoning a Gaia OREMN within a computer player's building with AoKTS will not eject that unit. This is useful for eye candy, since you can have military buildings with flags.
    Q94. How do I keep wonders from changing ownership when a unit of a different player comes near it?
    You are probably using a Monument. Instead, use an actual wonder.

Q95. How do I prevent the player's monks or missionaries from converting?
    Go to the "Options" tab and disable the Dark Age technology for that player.

Q96. How do I get the computer player to do stuff?
    You can either task it about using triggers, or make it do things by using an Artificial Intelligence (AI) script. The game automatically assigns the default (standard) AI to computer players, but most scenario designers find this inadequate.

Q97. How do I stop the computer from moving?
    Download Immobile Units AI Gold by Zanzard Lothar. If this is not an option, create a looping “Task Object” trigger or “stop unit” trigger for each computer unit. The “Task Object” solution causes the units to stay completely (and unnaturally) still. Use of the AI is a far better solution.

Q98. How do I stop the computer players from automatically resigning after a few minutes of game-play?
    Make sure that the computer player has sufficient units and resources to be competitive. Alternatively, download a custom AI from the Blacksmith or write your own.

Q99. What is an AI?
    An AI (Artificial Intellegence) script is a set of instructions which tell the computer what to do (within limitations). Some basic ai tutorials are listed in Q22. aiscripters.com is the recognised world-centre of AI scripting.

Q100. How do I use an AI?
    Each AI you download will have (at least) two files: one with the extension .ai and one with the extension .per. Copy all the files you download into the “AI” folder in your AoK directory. Now, go into the editor and click on the "Players" tab. Under "Personality" select the AI that you downloaded.

Q101. How do I make a "Taunt AI"?
    Check out this article: "Taunt to Trigger", Dark_Warrior_1.

Q102. What’s the difference between an AI and a PER file?
    All the information of an AI script is contained in the .per file. .ai files are completely blank, and are used only by the Scenario Editor, to locate .per files.

Q103. Can I use an AI in multiplayer scenarios?
    No. Not even if every player has the AI files.

Q104. Does the computer cheat?
    On hardest difficulty, the computer receives additional bonus resources as it reaches each age. Otherwise, no.
    However, it is possible to include cheats with AI scripts, including counting the number of enemy units, receiving bonus resources, and so on. Usually it is noted on the download page of a file if the AI does this.

Q105. How do I make an AI?
    See Q22. For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario.

Q106. Immobile Units AI / Gold / Advanced is not working for a certain player. Why is this?
    First, make sure that player's AI is set to the Immobile Units, under the players tab, choose personality, and select “Immobile units”. Make sure that that player has at least one military unit (a spearman, for example) and/or at least three villagers.

Q107. What does the “AI script goal” trigger effect do?
    Nothing with the standard AI. However, AI script goals are a useful way of making a scenario interact with an AI. See post 2 of this thread.

Other nifty stuff

Q108. What is the "Kill Ratio" condition?
    Your kill ratio is the balance between how many kills you have and how many of your units have been killed. Having a high kill ratio means you have killed more than you have lost. Having a negative kill ratio means you have lost more than you have killed. If you have killed and lost the same amount of soldiers, your kill ratio is 0. See the pattern? To find your kill ratio, the computer subtracts your number of kills by your number of losses. i.e. : If you have killed 22 men and lost 4, your ratio is 18. If you have kill 60 and lost 100, your ratio is minus 40.

Q109. How do I reward players for every kill they make?
    For this, you will need to use "Kill Ratio", under the "Accumulate Attribute" condition. Basically, it is a process of rewarding the player when the ratio is (+) 1, and then resetting it to 0 until the next kill. Here is the trigger, the reward is 10 gold in this example:

Trigger0
    Display as Objective: Yes / No
    Trigger Starting State: On
    ------------------------------------------------------------ -------
    Condition0: Accumulate Attribute ( 1 Kill Ratio: Player 1 )
    Effect: Tribute ( 10 Gold: GAIA » Player 1 )
    Effect: Create Object - Player One - Any Units - Location: Somewhere where the player will not notice.
    Effect: Remove Object - Set area - Unit above

Also, see Laws of the Map Editor #8: Accumulate Attribute by CrystalCrown and look for "Paid to Kill".
    Nowadays, it is possible to replace the last two effects of this trigger with a negative tribute of “kills” using Trigger Studio.

Q110. How can I let the player receive upgrades for money at a blacksmith?
    If you want the reward to be choices from +1 attack, +30 HP or +3 attack try this example:

Trigger 0: <. name>
    Condition 0: Object Selected - The Blacksmith
    Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: Hello! Would you like to buy some armor or weaponry?"
    If so, select the <. building around blacksmith #1 >
    If not, select the <. building around blacksmith #2 >"
    Effect 1: Activate Trigger - Trigger 1
    ------------------------------------------------------------ ----
    Trigger 1:
    Condition 0: Object Selected -
    Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: All right! My prices are:
    Sword Sharpening (+1 attack) - 100 gold (select )
    New Chest Plate (+ 30 HP): - 150 gold (select )
    Longer Jeweled Sword (+3 attack) - 200 gold (select )
    Effect: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 2
    Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 3
    Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 4
    Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 5
    Trigger 2:
    Effect: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 1
    Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 0
    Effect: Display Instructions - Smith: *Sigh* Okay, see ya'. Business is slow today.
    Trigger 3:
    Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Gold Amount - 100 gold
    Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: Give me that for a sec.
    Bzzzt! Clang! Clange! Chink! Bzzzt! Smith: Here ya go!
    Effect 1: Tribute - Source Player - 1 | Target Player - Gaia | Quantity: 100 Gold
    Effect 2: Change Object Attack - Set Object: Player's Unit - Quantity: 1
    Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 4
    Effect 4: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 5
    Effect 5: Activate Trigger - Trigger 0
    Trigger 4:
    Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Gold Amount - 150 gold
    Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: Great Choice! Here. Brand New. Molded Yesterday!"
    Effect 1: Tribute - Source Player - 1 | Target Player - Gaia | Quantity: 150 Gold
    Effect 2: Change Object HP - Set Object: Player's Unit - Quantity: 30
    Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 3
    Effect 4: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 5
    Trigger 5:
    Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Gold Amount - 100 gold
    Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: That’s an excellent choice. Worth all of it. Mighty heavy, but you look like a strong bloke."
    Effect 1: Tribute - Source Player - 1 | Target Player - Gaia | Quantity: 200 Gold
    Effect 2: Change Object Attack - Set Object: Player's Unit - Quantity: 3
    Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 3
    Effect 4: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 4

Note: Any of the gold amounts, attack or HP increases, or "Smith:" text can be altered to fit your needs.
    Warning: Depending on the size of your messages, you might have to have two effects for each "Display Instruction". One has to have its position set on 0, the other on 1. Check question 43 about the position values.

Q112. Can I get the beta wooden water-gates and walls on to terrains besides water?
    You can either map-copy them from this utility by Ceser Bernardi, or place them directly with Trigger Studio.

Q113. How do I make a player with no name (so it doesn't choose one if I leave it blank)?
    Simple, just type a space into the player/unit name box.

Q114. Is it possible to make buildings walk-able?
    Yes, the same way as cliffs (Q63). Map-copy another building on to the one you want to be walkable, and remove it with triggers. You'll notice that you can't make the centre square of a building walk-able, because you can't map-copy on it, without erasing the original building. Like walk-able cliffs, walk-able buildings become un-walk-able after the game has been saved and reloaded. To work around this, warn the player not to save for a second or two and remove the building just before the player reaches it.

Q115. Is it possible to copy triggers, trigger conditions and/or trigger effects? If so, how's it done?
    Yes it is. Use Trigger Studio.

Q116. How do I make explosions in a scenario?
    There are a few methods for making explosions in scenarios. One use of explosions is to make magical barriers with. Simply create and destroy them in a line, with a looping trigger that has no Conditions.
    The first and most obvious is the petard explosion. This is simple and easy to accomplish. Just create and kill (removing won't work) a petard or a group of them anywhere you want. The drawbacks to this one are that the petard shows for a split second, making it obvious, and it can only be done where a petard can stand. Another way is to use "furious the monkey boy". It has the same drawbacks as that of the petard but has the benefit of body parts flying, to enhance the look. You can also use Demolition Ships. These give quite a good explosion, although this method can only be produced on water
    A popular version is to use Macaws or Hawks the same way as the petards. The benefit is: Hawks and Macaws make large explosions (bigger than the petard) when they are killed. They can also be placed anywhere on the map.
    Using Trigger Studio, it is possible to create a range of differently-sized explosions by creating “projectile” units (such as “proj-hand-cannoneer” or “proj-scorpion”) and killing them.

Q117. How do I let the player read signs in my scenario?
    To let the player read a sign when they select it, use this trigger:

Trigger0
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Condition0: Object Selected - The Sign
    Condition1: Timer - Around 5
    Effect0: Display Instructions - "Green Lake - EAST Groaning - NORTH
    (Or what ever you want the sign to read)
    To let the player read a sign when their unit gets near it, use this:
    Trigger0
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Condition0: Bring Object to Area - Set Area - Around the sign (not too small)
    Effect0: Display Instructions - "Green Lake - EAST Groaning - NORTH
    (Or what ever you want the sign to read)

Q118. How do I stop players from cheating in my scenario?
    There are several methods of doing this. Try searching the forums for the word “cheat” for many colourful examples. The most popular are:
  • Aegis

Trigger 1 start on
    Condition: Researching tech, (pick a tech)
    Effect; deactivate trigger 2
    Trigger 2 start on
    Condition: tech Researched, (same as above tech)
    Effect: (What ever you want to do if the player cheats)

Thank you Berserker Jerker.
  • Marco Polo
    “When players cheat with marco polo, you can make some invisible unit on the map tell them off, allow them to go on gaming. I did that a few times in TKBM. I think it's better to say "tut, tut" than behead a player immediately for cheating.”
    Thank you Ingo Van Tiel
  • Mother Nature
    Own objects => Hawk or Deer
  • Lumberjack, etc
    “I use accumulate attribute 1000 to detect cheats and disable these with an accumulate attribute of 499(499 so the 1000 doesn't trigger if the player buys large amounts at the market), and chain them up to several thousands.”
    Thank you Berserker Jerker.
  • Furious the Monkey Boy
    Own Objects => Furious the Monkey Boy (using Trigger Studio)
  • How do you turn this on?
    As above, with Cobra Cars.

• Q119. The “difficulty level” condition doesn’t seem to be working. What’s wrong?
    The trigger condition “Difficulty Level” is actually a “difficulty-level or harder”.
    On Easiest: Easiest, Standard, Moderate, Hard, and Harder conditions are met.
    On Standard: Standard, Moderate, Hard, and Harder conditions are met.
    On Moderate: Moderate, Hard, and Harder conditions are met.
    On Hard: Hard, and Harder conditions are met.
    On Harder: Harder condition is met.
    For .scx scenario all levels apply.
    For .cpx campaign ony Standard, Moderate, and Hard apply.

Q120. How can I test the game’s difficulty level easily?
    A popular method is to use triggers. At the start of the game, the player is asked to select one of a number of pavilions (or other objects). Based on the player’s decision, other triggers are altered.
    A better method has been discovered by Dave_Earl, but requires some basic AI scripting. Add the following lines of script to your AI:

(defrule
    (difficulty == easiest)
    =>
    (chat-to-all "THIS SCENARIO ONLY SUPPORTS 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS!")
    (chat-to-all "IT WILL NOT PLAY ON EASIEST!")
    )
    (defrule
    (difficulty == easy)
    =>
    (set-signal 0)
    (disable-self)
    )
    (defrule
    (difficulty == moderate)
    =>
    (set-signal 1)
    (disable-self)
    )
    (defrule
    (difficulty == hard)
    =>
    (set-signal 2)
    (disable-self)
    )
    (defrule
    (difficulty == hardest)
    =>
    (chat-to-all "THIS SCENARIO ONLY SUPPORTS 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS!")
    (chat-to-all "IT WILL NOT PLAY ON HARDEST!!")
    )

Then “The AI will send the game one of three signals, depending on the difficulty. On standard, the AI will send signal 0. On moderate, the AI will send signal 1. On hard, the AI will send signal 2. When you want a trigger to only fire on a particular difficulty level, you add the condition "AI Signal X" (with X being either 0, 1 or 2). This way you could potentially write three complete sets of triggers, each of which works only on one difficulty. Kapeesh?”

Q121. I think design teams are cool and want to make one and be leader. Should I?

Help it’s all gone wrong

Q122. The game is going really slowly, and everything appears jerky. Why?
    This is called lag and it occurs when too many units are placed on the map.

Q123. How can I stop lag?
    Take some units off the map. If you need many units, try creating them with triggers as you need them, rather than placing them at the start of the game.

Q124. Why does a percentage (%) appear instead of my unit's name, in the grey info box?
    This is nothing to worry about; the game just cannot recognize changed names in that box. There is no workaround.

Q125. I accidentally deleted the name of a trigger, and can’t seem to select it. How can I select it again?
    Open up the scenario in Trigger Studio and re-name the trigger there. Alternatively, create a new trigger beneath the nameless one and delete it. That will leave you with the offending trigger selected; you can then add a name. If the trigger is in the middle of a series of triggers create a new trigger, and move this trigger to underneath the trigger with no name.

Q126. I was testing my scenario, and suddenly the game vanished or minimised, and the music’s still playing and it all really sucks! What do I do?
    This is called a crash, and it happens to everyone at some stage. Lord Fadawah has written an article on crashes. If you follow each step fastidiously, then your problem will be solved.

Q127. I was just working on my scenario for hours, and I forgot to save before I tested it. It crashed. Is there anything I can do to recover my work?
    Yes, there is. If you haven't tested any other scenario after this one , then it was automatically saved to the file called default0, in your scenario folder. Open the “default0” file, and you will find your work intact. Ensure you correct the reason why it crashed though.

Q128. Why does the game crash when I use a “Change View” effect?
    Changing the view large distances, or very close to the edge of the map can make the game crash. To solve this problem, use several Change View effects over the distance, and steer clear of the map edges.

Q129. I’ve got heaps of effects in one trigger, and now the game crashes. Is there a limit to the number of effects I can put in one trigger?
    No, there is no limit to the number of effects you can put in one trigger (although there may be a theoretical limit of 65,536 or something like that). There must be a problem with one of your effects.

Q130. I downloaded a modpack and MPS crashed as it was uninstalling. How do I get rid of it?
    Reinstall AoK.

Q131. But wont I lose all my scenario / campaign / saved game files?
    No, files are not lost upon reinstallation. If you are paranoid, then you can back up the AoE II directory somewhere.

Q132. I accidentally deleted (or forgot to backup) my empires2_x1_p1.dat. Where can I get a new one?
    See Q131.

Q133. I can't find my scenario in the scenarios folder when I exit the game. However, I can see it in Trigger Studio. What's going on?
    You are probably using Windows 7, and you are not running AOK in administrator mode. Go inside the "scenarios" folder. There you will notice a button appeared in your internet explorer called "show compatibility files". Press it and your scenarios will appear. Always running the game as administrator prevents this problem, from what I've seen.

The Blacksmith

Q134. Where do I unzip / put files that I’ve downloaded?
  • bmp => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II
  • rms => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Random
  • per/ai => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\AI
  • cpx/.cpn => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\CAMPAIGN
  • scx/.scn => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Scenario
  • wav/mp3 => C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\SOUND\Scenario
    Note: You may have trouble when using sounds in .wav format, as AoK supports most, but not all of the different .wav codecs. If you find that you have a .wav file that AoK doesn't recognize, use GoldWave to convert the .wav file into an mp3. Thank you Anastasia.

• Q135. I’ve downloaded an .scx scenario and it doesn’t work. What’s wrong?
    You must have The Conquerors installed to play scenarios with the extension .scx.

Q136. I’ve downloaded a .cpx campaign and I can’t play it. What’s wrong?
    You must have The Conquerors installed to play scenarios with the extension .cpx.

Q137. How do I submit things to the Blacksmith?
    Go to the Blacksmith main page, and click on "Submit File". Fill out the form and choose the (zipped) file. Also, ensure you give your down load a description.. Do not just put "my first scenario". Going into detail will help potential down loaders make the right choice.

Q138. What is a .zip file and how do I make one?
    A .zip file is a compressed archive. If you have Windows XP, put all the files you want zipped into a folder, right click it and select “add to archive.” If you don’t have XP, you can download 7-zip. It’s much better than WinZip, anyway.

Q139. What files do I need to include with my scenario?
    You need to include your .scx (or .cpx) files, your .wav and .mp3 files, and your .avi files. You do not need to include .bmp, .per or .ai files.

Q140. Why is my submission not showing up in the blacksmith?
    Be patient. In general the Blacksmith is updated on a weekly basis. Sometimes it takes longer. If you submitted more than a few weeks ago, contact Tanneur99. Don’t start a forum thread about it.

Q141. Why is my review or comment not showing up at the Blacksmith?
    Comments and Reviews now also need to be approved by Blacksmith staff before they are made publicly available. If there is a problem with your comment or review, a staff member will contact you via email. Note that this will be the email you supplied when you registered at Heavengames.

Q142. The review guidelines suck! How can I get them changed?
    This issue comes up from time to time. The guidelines are designed to ensure fairness, and the fact of the matter is that they will not be changed. Take a read through some of the older posts in the Review Requests thread if you disagree.

Aro (and Dave)’s Scenario Design Library

Original Thread

The Scenario Design Library is a thread where you can look up Scenario Design related topics and FAQ contained within AoK Heaven and other select sites. If you did not find a thread you were looking for in here, use the Search feature on the bottom of the forum to look for past posts. Just type in the subject you want, and it will bring up almost all posts related to it.

Useful Links

The sites contained in this are either some of the best design teams, or some of the best Scenario Design related resources:

Dragon Gaming Design Network| Articles | Sounds Database | -
    DGDN Sound Database- The DGDN Sound Database currently has no sounds within it, but might soon enough.
    Articles section- The Articles section has many useful articles. If you are ever interested in Design, AI, or Triggers, this is the right place.

The Tsuniversity | -
    The Tsuniversity - Looking for articles? The Tsuniversity has a large collection of the best tricks and eye-candy around, with step-by-step tutorials within the articles so you can produce some great tricks/eye-candy within your scenario.

aiscripters.com | -
    Aiscripters – An A I Scripting community. Also has the old Tonto Clan scripting forums archived.

Trigger Tutorials
    zyxomma100’s Ultimate Scenario Designer's Guide
    DGDN Trigger Tutorial

FAQ
    Scenario Design How-To's
    Scenario Design FAQ

The SD How-To's and FAQ contain many answers to the questions asked many times around these forums. Be sure to check it out before you post a question, as it might already be answered within them.

Useful Threads

The threads listed are some of the most useful threads I have seen in the Scenario Design forum. They can aid you in many ways, from designing to ideas for your storyline:

AoK Design Articles by Ultima_Knight
    This thread is more of an eye-candy/trick Search Engine. It contains many great threads that are related to Scenario Design. Among the various things contained within it are: How to get people in buildings, ways to get waterfall eye-candy, and elevated shallows.

Ploting A Story "Scenario Construction" by Philip Dunscombe
    This thread helps you make a storyline, listing out the many types of storylines there are. Storylines are looked more upon than even map design, so this is a great read if you need to perfect the storyline for your scenario.

The New AoK Design Articles by KeLar
    The continuation of the older thread below. The new author of the thread plans on making more additions to it.

The Research Treasury by NightNecromancer
    This thread is a great historical reference if you are ever planning on creating a historical campaign about a certain hero. It contains a lot of information, as well as links to sites where you can research the hero.

Trigger Trick Guide by The Editorbuilder
    This is one of the best trick guides around. It contains many of the most complex as well as simplest tricks that can be obtained with the editor. Some of the tricks include: Time system, time based system, spell system, heal unit (without monk) trick, and a 0 HP trick.

Scenario Crashes - How to Find and Fix it by Basse
    This is one of the most detailed threads in regards to scenario crashes. Unfortunately they can happen quote often, but these tips will help you avoid any future problems.

Useful Utilities
    (x-pack) = The Conquerors Expansion only

Age of Kings Campaign Manager by Lloyd Kinsella
    This is a great utility. With this utility, you can extract *.scn files from *.cpn files and take a look within the scenario with your editor. Very useful.

AI Scripted 2.0 Editor
    The AI Scripting tool from aiscripters.com. If you want to create your own AI script, right click on your AoK CD in My Computer and go to DOCS. Open the CPSB document, which is a tutorial. There is also an AI articles section located at the Dragon Gaming Design Network...

New units and new objects template by Enrique Orduno
    Another beta unit template. This one features even more beta units within it.

New Units and Objects Scenario Template by Angel Rasher
    This is a utility that contains beta units from Age of Empires as well as others. Very useful, and at the same time, somewhat unique.

(x-pack)Real World Map Templates by Ensemble Studios
    This is a list of downloadable templates for scenario designers, which maps resemble real-world locations.

Here are some great Eye-Candy related utilities to help you with map design:
    (x-pack)Waves - how to create ocean waves in AoK by Alexandergreat3
    This utility shows you how to create realistic waves. Quite amazing if you ask me, and would be a great addition to any scenario.

(x-pack)Invisible Farms by Cknchaos
    Another amazing and useful utility. It shows you how to create invisible farms and the many uses for them (gardens, camp fires, etc.)

(x-pack)Eye Candy Template by CheeZy_monkey0 by CheeZy_monkey0
    This utility is basically most of the utilitys put together, plus more. To quote the description:

More than 20 map copy tricks
    plenty of pond tricks
    shoreless water.
    water gates
    beta units and objects
    examples of towns
    and mutch mutch more...
    (x-pack)Sea Wall and Sea Gate Template by AoK Dragon
    This utility has the beta sea wall and sea gate within it so you can copy and paste them on your map.

Did not find a utility you like? Go to the Utilities Section. It has various types of utilities that you can download.

If you think there is something that should be added to the Scenario Design Library, please feel free to e-mail me at aro at heavengames dot com with the thread/utility name and link. (And a brief description of the content.)

Don't post if you haven't checked this thread.
    I am a card-carrying Tsunami Studios member. | Macbeth | Install Script Tutorial | Nineteen Years... | Put a timer in your scenario!
    Piece By Piece (2) Progress Bar: | █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ | Download it now!

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 05-31-2016 @ 12:06 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 04-14-07 03:54 AM CT (US)     1 / 1388  
    Dave_Earl...I saw your campaign of Macbeth,it was amasing.Now I know what a great creator are you.Da hobo's FAQ or how can I name that is not much useful.It is useful only for beginners.I can't say it isn't.But what I've read here...is only amazing.You did such a good work.So I shall be the first to congratulate about this.You really deserve an oscar for map designing and your help here. (hahahahah)
    posted 04-14-07 04:36 AM CT (US)     2 / 1388  
    Simply amazing. Though I can still not get the healing false hero to work

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    posted 04-14-07 05:02 AM CT (US)     3 / 1388  
    Check out this thread Basse (post 5 onwards), hopefully it'll help.
    http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,37347,180,100

But no, awesome stuff Dave! May this thread attract many questions!

[This message has been edited by VonCorgath (edited 04-14-2007 @ 05:03 AM).]

posted 04-14-07 06:15 AM CT (US)     4 / 1388  
    You are truly amazing! Hosting all those things you host! I say Sticky!

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 04-14-07 06:47 AM CT (US)     5 / 1388  
    Awesome job Dave, didn't get to read it all though, job for another day, lol.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                       _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
    posted 04-14-07 07:33 AM CT (US)     6 / 1388  
    Nice work. Don't have time to read it all, but still useful!

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
    Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
    posted 04-14-07 08:22 AM CT (US)     7 / 1388  
    How can I make my scenario's starting position over the character, not over the transport in the corner?

Isn't this player-sensitive? I.e. to set the starting position for a certain player, you must first select the player from the drop-down dialogue box in the upper-left corner of the main interface before clicking the "Set Starting Position" button?

How can I change the colour of the text in the effect "Display Instructions”?

Interestingly enough, you can also use the tag <WHITE>, but since all default text in AoK is white, it's more a piece of trivia than a useful feature.

How do I stop people being defeated during cut-scenes?

Your forgot a bracket for the opening url tag in the link to newIdea's hold-off unit templates.

My gates don’t open when a unit goes through them. How do I fix this?

As far as my testing goes, this "ghostly gate bug" only affects gates following the x-axis. Y-axis and diagonal gates are not affected.

or map-copy up to elevation 16 from Dave_Earl’s groundbreaking campaign Nineteen Years.

OMG shameless self-promotion plug.

How big can I make a map?

Isn't it 255x255 instead of 256 x 256? 255 (=0xFF) is the highest number you can get in a two-digit hexadecimal system.

URLs are messed up in Q81 and 82.

Is it possible to make a “fewer objects in area” condition?

Your method is kinda risky; sometimes the timer in trigger 2 doesn't behave correctly. I'd propose this system instead:

Trigger 0 - starting: off, looping: off
    Effect 0 - deactivate trigger 1
    Effect 1 - deactiate trigger 2
    Effect ... - whatever you want to happen if fewer objects are in area

Trigger 1 - starting: on, looping: on
    Effect 0 - activate trigger 0

Trigger 2 - starting: on, looping: on
    Condition 0 - Objects in Area: (Objects, area, number of objects)
    Effect 0 - Deactivate trigger 0

How do I prevent units from un-garrisoning at the beginning of the game?

Certain beta units are not ejected, for example the OREMN. Garrisoning a Gaia OREMN within a computer player's building with AoKTS will not eject that unit. This is useful for eye candy, since you can have military buildings with flags.

Can I use an AI in multiplayer scenarios?

I recall BJ said it worked in LAN games.

How do I reward players for every kill they make?

Perhaps mentioning that the kill ratio condition is kinda tricky to use since its value will shrink if the player loses units, and that this problem was solved by DeathWish in his Life of a Mercernary v2.0?

All in all an excellent thread. VGJ Dave.

posted 04-14-07 08:26 AM CT (US)     8 / 1388  
    This guide is brilliant! It'll help many newcomers. Well done!

Who watches the Watchmen?
    Still Cristian, proud of it, etc...
    "You are an important piece of my puzzle..."
    Impaled Saren, executed Illidan, bludgeoned Big Daddy, and exploded Gravemind. What now?
    Repent! Xenu is coming! Or so Tom Cruise would have you believe.
    Boom. Headshot. Yes, I play FPS's.
    posted 04-14-07 12:46 PM CT (US)     9 / 1388  
    This has been bugging me for along time, Can some one explain to me how to get shoreless shallows. I have looked through Genid but I found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Great thread BTW.

    
    posted 04-14-07 12:57 PM CT (US)     10 / 1388  
    Wohoo! It got stickied! Thanks to me, and noone else! MUHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 04-14-07 01:25 PM CT (US)     11 / 1388  
    Well done, Dave. Looks great.

This has been bugging me for along time, Can some one explain to me how to get shoreless shallows. I have looked through Genid but I found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Place the terrain in AoKTS by each square.

This question would work well in topic post.

dannyking.me

posted 04-14-07 04:13 PM CT (US)     12 / 1388  
    If I map copied it would it stay shoreless? Sorry for asking just I'm away from my designing comp right now

    
    posted 04-14-07 04:52 PM CT (US)     13 / 1388  
    Isn't it 255x255 instead of 256 x 256? 255 (=0xFF) is the highest number you can get in a two-digit hexadecimal system

No its 256x256. I tried myself and 256 is the highest possible.

And yes, map copying shore wont work. At least not for me... :P

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 04-14-2007 @ 04:55 PM).]

posted 04-14-07 05:41 PM CT (US)     14 / 1388  
    No, you'd have to remove the shore after you copied it.

dannyking.me

posted 04-14-07 05:56 PM CT (US)     15 / 1388  
    The whole business with the trigger code being green and small is stupid, I can barely read it.
    posted 04-14-07 06:13 PM CT (US)     16 / 1388  
    Hey everyone thanks for the feedback.

Topic updated; strange about the shoreless shallows thing, I had intended to include that one. The answer was even up there, as the second Q68. Fixed now.

Thankyou Oliver for your feedback.

Wohoo! It got stickied! Thanks to me, and noone else! MUHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

No, I'd arranged it with Ana in the old thread.

The whole business with the trigger code being green and small is stupid, I can barely read it.

I'll consider cyan.

I am a card-carrying Tsunami Studios member. | Macbeth | Install Script Tutorial | Nineteen Years... | Put a timer in your scenario!
    Piece By Piece (2) Progress Bar: | █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ | Download it now!
    posted 04-14-07 06:39 PM CT (US)     17 / 1388  
    Make it the same size as the rest of the text.
    posted 04-14-07 06:43 PM CT (US)     18 / 1388  
    And get me a coffee while you're at it.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
    I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
    posted 04-14-07 06:59 PM CT (US)     19 / 1388  
    Calm down, Luke. It's almost impossible to read as it is.
    posted 04-14-07 07:13 PM CT (US)     20 / 1388  
    #129 contradicts what i have read about game crashing with too many effects.

which is correct?

posted 04-14-07 07:18 PM CT (US)     21 / 1388  
    I am correct, of course.

posted 04-15-07 00:23 AM CT (US)     22 / 1388  
    Can I use an AI in multiplayer scenarios?

No. Not even if every player has the AI files.

Wait, what? This one is flat out wrong. I've been playing tons of multiplayer scenarios using custom AIs.

Night Conqueror
    posted 04-15-07 01:16 AM CT (US)     23 / 1388  
    I'd like to see them then, maybe you're just thinking of the Triggers as an AI? ALOT of Triggers go into every Multiplayer game (Well the good ones anyway )

posted 04-15-07 01:27 AM CT (US)     24 / 1388  
    isn't there a distinction between LAN multiplayer and online multiplayer?
    posted 04-15-07 08:29 AM CT (US)     25 / 1388  
    Quoted from the main post:
    Frequently Asked FAQs

Someone didn't check that with the office of redundancies office.

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
    "HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi

[This message has been edited by Wyo_Daniel (edited 04-15-2007 @ 08:35 AM).]

posted 04-15-07 03:52 PM CT (US)     26 / 1388  
    Someone didn't check that with the office of redundancies office.

*laughs*

Where is that reference?

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
    "What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
    "I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
    posted 04-16-07 02:22 AM CT (US)     27 / 1388  
    Frequently asked frequently asked questions... Interesting concept :P

I've tried playing with AI files through both LAN and IP neither seemed to work unfortunately =/

posted 04-16-07 10:31 AM CT (US)     28 / 1388  
    Wait, what? This one is flat out wrong. I've been playing tons of multiplayer scenarios using custom AIs.

AI files have been reported to work using LAN connections, but there have been none on regular internet connections(to my knowledge).

So if you're able to work a miracle the rest of us cannot, please feel free to share.

dannyking.me

posted 04-16-07 05:03 PM CT (US)     29 / 1388  
    As for online game services, such as the zone and things (RIP), and perhaps even direct IP games I can't really speak for them. However, over a LAN connection (either using hamachi, or a LAN at home) AI does work with multiplayer.

Night Conqueror
    posted 04-16-07 11:38 PM CT (US)     30 / 1388  
    Great job with this thread, Dave_Earl!

Well, there is allegedly way to use it on the internet, even though it's a huge hassle. Someone told me that if everyone programs a custom AI in over the regular AI, then they can use it in multiplayer

me
    posted 04-17-07 09:32 AM CT (US)     31 / 1388  
    I just discovered something, dont know if someone did it before me.
    If you make a unit into a hero and instead of typing in -1 in the first effect, you type 65535 (max HP -1), the unit's max HP will sink as the timer goes.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    posted 04-27-07 06:23 PM CT (US)     32 / 1388  
    hey is it just me or...?
    When I click the submit link on blacksmith I just get a page that says..

Category not found
    The category you have specified can not be found.

O_o
    like hu?

posted 04-27-07 09:13 PM CT (US)     33 / 1388  
    Hi SHumba,

Could you please explain your problem in a little more detail?

Regards,

Dave.

posted 04-27-07 10:17 PM CT (US)     34 / 1388  
    To get this effect, create and remove a middle section part of a bridge. This trick can be used for wading, crossing swamps, flooding (as it will change any terrain into water), magical warlocks, etc. Note: The walkable water is not crossable by ships anymore.

I am sorry but I must say different here. Ships (at least on my game) can cross on walkable water. Its still water and the game sees that, regardless of how it was made.

At least, that is how it seems on my pc.

CRAZEDMANIAC
    The Ever Changing Maze Progress: 73%
    Download the new beta here!

Proud member of DGDN
    posted 04-28-07 01:38 PM CT (US)     35 / 1388  
    My mistake I went to the wrong page.. I think.. there was a dead link there I guess.. that did say 'submit file' under Blacksmith :P
    Perhaps there should be a link to the Blacksmith main page here to clear up confution :P

ok your all gona love this!
    HOW DO I REMOVE A GAIA OBJECT?

=D

iv tried
    remove object
    damage object
    kill object

Now tell me is it me or can you really not get rid of forage bushes?
    I think the same goes for stone mines as well but didn’t test them yet! i did just try piles of food but they dont go ether! useing AOK or AOKTS! on a completely new map after restarting the game and computer!

i assure you iv not messed the triggers atall there not really hard are they.. is this normal or 'is it me' in wich case.. can someone tell me what going on? :P
    if its normal you should say somthig about it in the remove gaia objects part of this FAQ (Q54 i think) because its has a drematic unwanted eye candy effect in this game not being able to remove them! cant tell you exactly what im doing its a surprise but you know when you see it

is there a work around? anything?

[This message has been edited by Shumba (edited 05-15-2007 @ 08:41 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Scenario Design FAQ : CD Version
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames