Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 'Defend the Spot' scenario design competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
posted 11-03-07 02:32 PM CT (US)   

Thanks everybody, this contest was a pleasure to organize and I'm quite pleased with the participation. Also a great thanks to the judges. Now without any more ado, here are the results! Congrats to the winners!

Results

============================================================

1st Place: Defend the Island 4 by Lord Basse- 120 pts

Defend the Island 4 - the Invasion of Duang-Zhe is the fourth scenario in the DTI series. Described a 'quantum leap' from its predecessors, this scenario will bring you to a crescent shaped island full of beautiful forests, cliffs, beaches and fortresses in the midst of an all out war. Featuring good theme music ( mixture of Japanese style and Pirates of the carribean ) and all-round waves of attacks, this will keep you on the edge all throughout. A good background and setting adds to the game. A clear winner.

Download here!

2nd Place: The Outer Rim by Dantares IV - 107 pts

The Outer Rim, a strategic cliffed fortress in a desert is under attack by an immense invasion force. You are greatly outnumbered, but can use your strategic location to inflict great losses on the enemy. Featuring the best archer tactics , cutscenes and fitting theme music, this one is sure to be a challenge. Undoubtedly one of the best works by the author.

Download here!

3rd Place: Adventure Series VIII The Horde by Jas the Mace1 - 105 pts

The Horde of Genghis Khan approaches! Rather than trying to defeat him outright, you just have to delay his approach into the city. One of the first of it's kind, the scenario allows you to 'compete with yourself', the goal being to accumulate as many kills as possible. This scenario comes in a close 3rd.

Download here!

4th Place: Archerama by Ringer - 96 pts

Defending a tower, doesn't seem very interesting does it? No! This scenario gives you many options to choose your troops, and sends a variety of enemies at you. Featuring a small cutscene and a sort of voice acting, this scenario is ranked 4th, winning high points from Julius999.

Download here!

5th Place: The Defence of Pavia by VisorSlash - 71 pts

A historical scenario with a large number of enemies. The AI problem in this scenario can be corrected by downloading Gothmog AI and putting all it's files in the AI folder. A spirited first attempt, and the game is challenging.

Download here!

6th Place: Barbarians at the Gate by Madhu - 64 pts

Somewhat close to a random map, but still an interesting and challenging game. A good first attempt and gets high marks from matty12345

Download here!

Scores by each Judge:

In the following order: Playability,Creativity/Story,Balance,Map design = Total

Jatayu's scores

The Outer Rim by Dantares IV : 13,11,9,9 = 42
Defend the island 4 by Lord Basse : 12,12,6,10 = 40
Adventure Series VIII The Horde by Jas the Mace1: 9,10,8,8 = 35
Archerama by Ringer: 11,9,6,8 = 34
The Defence of Pavia by VisorSlash: 8,7,7,5 = 27
Barbarians at the gate by Madhu: 6,5,4,5 = 20

matty12345's scores

Defend the island 4 by Lord Basse : 13,12,10,9 = 44
Adventure Series VIII The Horde by Jas the Mace1: 11,12,8,8 = 39
The Outer Rim by Dantares IV: 10,10,8,7 = 35
Barbarians at the gate by Madhu : 9,6,8,7 = 30
Archerama by Ringer: 8,8,7,7 = 30
The Defence of Pavia by VisorSlash: 5,8,5,4 = 22

Julius999's scores
Defend the island 4 by Lord Basse : 13,12,3,8 = 36
Archerama by Ringer : 9,10,8,5 = 32
Adventure Series VIII The Horde by Jas the Mace1: 8,10,7,6 = 31
The Outer Rim by Dantares IV: 10,8,6,6 = 30
Defence of Pavia by VisorSlash: 8,6,5,3 = 22
Barbarians at the gate by Madhu: 4,3,4,3 = 14

Contestants

Lord Basse
Dantares IV
Ringer
Madhu
VisorSlash
Jas the Mace1

Missed deadline

Billy Bombar
Turty
Mashek
The Real Bryl
shadow06031992
lordsonny
Crusader_7
Nezon
Vault Dweller
Nog64
stnglmghoulbshr

Dropped out

Andanu T
EpicCommander
halistorm65
Julius999

Entries uploaded to Blacksmith

Barbarians at the gate by Madhu
Adventure Series VIII The Horde by Jas the Mace1
The Defence of Pavia by Visorslash
The Outer Rim by Dantares IV
Defend the Island 4 - the Invasion of Duang-Zhe by Lord Basse
Archerama by Ringer

Comments by judges
-If requested

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios

[This message has been edited by Dead_End (edited 11-08-2013 @ 01:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-03-07 03:23 PM CT (US)     1 / 414  
Count me in!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 11-03-07 05:53 PM CT (US)     2 / 414  
I can't say yet. I want to join, but my computer is now not letting me play AoE II. If I can get it working, I'll join.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 11-03-07 11:45 PM CT (US)     3 / 414  
Dantares: hope you can get your computer running quickly

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-04-07 00:29 AM CT (US)     4 / 414  
Great idea! Simpler the better lol. I'm in

I hear the sound of the jaguar.
Is this a bad omen?
posted 11-04-07 03:13 AM CT (US)     5 / 414  
I'll judge, but if you don't want me to judge, then I'm in the contest.
posted 11-04-07 06:45 AM CT (US)     6 / 414  
Awesome idea, Jatayu.

The rules say nothing against entering a scenario already started on. Say, if I were to join, would I be able to enter one of my works already begun? It is currently at about 75% completion.
posted 11-04-07 07:01 AM CT (US)     7 / 414  
No point Mashek. The same thing was at 50% last October.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 11-04-07 07:05 AM CT (US)     8 / 414  
Not 50% fool!

A few dozen hours more work and it should be complete. The last 25 % of it shouldn't be too hard, and I already know what to do. Anyway, this competition would at least give me the incentive to get it finished, that's incentive I currently do not have.

[This message has been edited by Mash Banana (edited 11-04-2007 @ 07:11 AM).]

posted 11-04-07 07:06 AM CT (US)     9 / 414  
I have a copy of it that you gave me last October and it says 50%. Anyway, I hope you do actually finish it in time.

And I might enter. No promises though.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 11-04-2007 @ 07:15 AM).]

posted 11-04-07 07:40 AM CT (US)     10 / 414  
@Mashek

Okay, great to see you participate. Although it might drive away other people

I have updated to rules to include that it may or may not be a scenario started specifically for the competition.

@EpicCommander

Even if you were the guy using SCN_Trident_Team alias earlier( if I'm guessing right) you still haven't been here more than a few months and no offence but I would be more comfortable with judges with more experience. I'll certainly keep the options open though. Would be great if you participate instead .

`
ि
StormWind Studios

[This message has been edited by Jatayu (edited 11-04-2007 @ 08:22 AM).]

posted 11-04-07 08:34 AM CT (US)     11 / 414  
I'm in
posted 11-04-07 09:02 AM CT (US)     12 / 414  
Interesting. In fact, I love defend the spot-style scenarios. Half-Life 2 Episode Two, anyone?

Anyway, as long as I get my act together, I'm in.

Mistadobalina
Don't be sad it happened, be happy it's over.
posted 11-04-07 09:04 AM CT (US)     13 / 414  
Well, I've made backup copies of my files so I won't lose them during the reinstallment process. When I get back from church I hope to begin the reinstallation process of AoE. I'll have an answer for if I can enter into this competition by tonight.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 11-04-07 03:41 PM CT (US)     14 / 414  
I'll enter.

I'll try harder at this one than the cutscene one. I had a VERY hard time getting the cutscene to work, but this looks eaiser.

If we have already made a defend the spot scenario can we still use it? I haven't released it on the blacksmith.

Itachi_Uchiha--May Itachi rule the Uchiha clan!
Kublai's invasions of Japan-----45% DISBANDED FOR NOW______FF3: Final Battles-----3.2(upgrade soon)
Black Forest Design Team
Dantares IV: Itachi you've got problems.
Rule Life ... Rule Death ... be a DeathLord.---------Click here to join!!
posted 11-04-07 04:06 PM CT (US)     15 / 414  
Thanks to some help from a friend of mine, AoE is working again. Sign me up!

posted 11-05-07 08:05 AM CT (US)     16 / 414  
I'm in. In, I said! Already started. I'm excited about it.

See the other thread about voice acting. Am I allowed to enlist other voice talents, or must I rely on my own larynx?

“Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.” --Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 11-05-2007 @ 08:32 AM).]

posted 11-05-07 09:49 AM CT (US)     17 / 414  
@shadow: yes, you can.

@Ringer: Ok, if you feel voice acting is necessary anyway

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-05-07 12:06 PM CT (US)     18 / 414  
Well, if you can't find any more experienced/ better judges than myself I am willing to give Judging a shot. So if you get stuck for judges I am always here if you need me.

As far as entering, I have too much going on now to add another project.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 11-05-07 12:24 PM CT (US)     19 / 414  
I started making some .dat changes, like some ships shooting arrowrains and having other warships carry soldiers. I even tried making two medieval-ish tanks, shooting ballista-shots and firebolts, but those just looked rubbish.

I'll probably stick to the original file, or make some minor changes.

Apart for this, work's going fine. Plans are getting good and I'm just about to start designing the actual map

I assume you've all already figured out what my project's called, haven't you?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 11-05-07 12:41 PM CT (US)     20 / 414  
I'd like to enter, but I've decided to stick with my own projects (hopefully I'll see one finished before 2008!). Anyway, good luck with this!
posted 11-05-07 09:49 PM CT (US)     21 / 414  
Hey Jatayu, you should have the contestants add into the titles of their games, DtSC 07 (Defend the Spot Competion 2007) just like with the cut-scene competition.

posted 11-05-07 10:01 PM CT (US)     22 / 414  
@matty: You're in, thanks. I was beginning to worry I wouldn't get any

@Basse: AFAIK it was DTI4 but now that you're including tanks and stuff I don't quite know sorry. I'd suggest not to make it Jones Blond though.

@Zayank: Good, and btw congrats for 2nd in the cutscene comp.

@Dantares: No, IMO it doesn't make any difference anyway. Right now I'm not planning to make it yearly or anything, let's see how it turns out..

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-05-07 11:58 PM CT (US)     23 / 414  
I would like to join.

Lordsonny at sbcglobal dot net
posted 11-06-07 00:06 AM CT (US)     24 / 414  
Mind me as a judge?

I would enter, but I'm already working on something else.

me
posted 11-06-07 00:09 AM CT (US)     25 / 414  
Ok, it seems I got my judges then. BTW I thought you only made multiplayer maps?

Lordsonny, I've added you to the list.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-06-07 00:28 AM CT (US)     26 / 414  
I do, but I could try going into single player for a defend the spot. But meh, if I can judge I'll just judge.

me
posted 11-06-07 00:40 AM CT (US)     27 / 414  
@Basse: AFAIK it was DTI4 but now that you're including tanks and stuff I don't quite know sorry. I'd suggest not to make it Jones Blond though.
Yep, it's DTI4. The tanks were more to see if I could make some medieval looking machines, shooting arrows or firebolts instead of today's monstershots.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 11-06-07 05:53 AM CT (US)     28 / 414  
Good to see so many people signing up, both as contestants and judges.
Yep, it's DTI4. The tanks were more to see if I could make some medieval looking machines, shooting arrows or firebolts instead of today's monstershots.
Damn, I was kinda hoping for Jones Blond. kidding

This contest is so far giving me new motivation to design my siege scenario again. I just hope it won't be too rough for when I do finish it, or too open-ended. I guess the only problem here is that it is meant to be released with a cut-scene to further explain things but I guess that can wait till after the judging is done, providing things go well.
posted 11-06-07 10:27 AM CT (US)     29 / 414  
Not sure if a Jones Blond map would be very good as DTS. But dont worry, you'll see more of him in the future

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 11-06-07 11:45 PM CT (US)     30 / 414  
Mash: you can have a cutscene in the scenario (say at the beginning) but the focus should be on the seige.

My guess is you're making something for the Second Kretharn war thing?

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-07-07 02:01 AM CT (US)     31 / 414  
Um... no.

Well, look, it's a very big remake. I'm too much a perfectionist about things.

Don't worry, its different and alot better than the original. More advanced and fun, not to mention alot more challenging. The kind of FF I had envisioned in the first place.

I propose that entrants talk about their work here. That way the competition gets activity and people develop ideas and inspiration. Talking about designing usually gets me in the mood for it.
posted 11-07-07 02:04 AM CT (US)     32 / 414  
If I do get time to enter I shall do something to do with the battle of Chang Ban with Zhang Fei defending the bridge.
posted 11-07-07 04:26 AM CT (US)     33 / 414  
Hmm. Though it's not something that I excel at, guess it's worth trying.

Count me in, Jatyau.

/\NDANU_TRISATY/\
-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-
StormWind Studios

-:|:- Fight Against Fate -:|:- Zegrelandia -:|:- Eternal Moon -:|:- Current Project -:|:-
posted 11-07-07 04:35 AM CT (US)     34 / 414  
Andanu: you're added. That makes 12 prospective participants

Wow, I thought you only made cutscenes

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-07-07 05:33 AM CT (US)     35 / 414  
I've grown sick of making cut-scenes, time for a change.

Besides, I just want to know if these two hands are capable of making something else, something playable by everyone else, not just an item on display. I'm not aiming to win, of course, because the chance would be less than one percent. Or even less.

/\NDANU_TRISATY/\
-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-
StormWind Studios

-:|:- Fight Against Fate -:|:- Zegrelandia -:|:- Eternal Moon -:|:- Current Project -:|:-
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » 'Defend the Spot' scenario design competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames