Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New units and ideas showcase
posted 01-10-08 02:48 AM CT (US)   
DAT file and scenario has about 30 changed units.

Download here

I made this utility to show a few new ideas using Data editing. If this turns out to be popular, I will make a .dat editing request thread

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
Replies:
posted 01-10-08 11:50 AM CT (US)     1 / 29  
Screenshots?

me
posted 01-11-08 02:11 PM CT (US)     2 / 29  
Why would you need screenshots? Just download and play It's got clouds and rain, new pillars, combinations of units, archers on walls and towers, slowed down units and many others. Definitely worth a look.

Must say I'm quite disappointed with the response to this. Did anyone try it at all?

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-11-08 03:36 PM CT (US)     3 / 29  
The problem with these things is too many people have an anti modification attitude, and those of us who don't can create our own units as needed. There is no demand for them. Renn is an exception because for some reason it was accepted and is pretty standard now.

Your stuff is cool BTW.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 01-11-08 07:04 PM CT (US)     4 / 29  
for some reason it was accepted and is pretty standard now.
Product. Pricing. Promotion. Placement.
posted 01-11-08 10:57 PM CT (US)     5 / 29  
The problem with these things is too many people have an anti modification attitude, and those of us who don't can create our own units as needed.
I'm aware of that, even so people have shown a positive attitude lately, eg. Agamennon's ( though that's more of a modpack ). It's a shame that though this has been going on for two years atleast very few have actually done anything. One reason possibly can be that many people think this is too difficult whereas it isn't actually, the difficulty is in learning it since no one has made proper guides for Genied1.

As for Renaissance, you could hardly call it 'accepted and become a norm'. Actually seeing the enormous length of it ( over 100 units ) I would call the response to it tepid at best and if I'd been oliver I would have been quite disappointed.
Product. Pricing. Promotion. Placement.
Pricing??

Anyway, I'm moving on to modding. I'm making an India theme mod and I spent the last two days learning MPS etc. Though I find MPS so slow that I just export the SLP and replace it with drsbuild

On another note, I'm liking the transition from experienced scenario designer --> n00b data editor --> n00b modder

`
ि
StormWind Studios

[This message has been edited by Jatayu (edited 01-11-2008 @ 11:28 PM).]

posted 01-12-08 11:18 AM CT (US)     6 / 29  
Pricing??
As in 'free'.

Also...

It's a really good mod, recommended both to experienced modders for inspiration and beginners who want a taste of the endless posibilities of .dat editing. The 4-in-1 trick, the juggernaut, the shallow water patches, the siege towers, everything is top-notch material.
posted 01-12-08 01:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 29  
I'm confused. I've heard both Mod, and DAT mentioned. So which is it? I will take a look if it's a DAT. Thanks.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 01-12-08 02:14 PM CT (US)     8 / 29  
A modification is a general term for anything that alters the way the game plays and behaves. A modpack on the other hand is the generally accepted definition of a modification created with ModPack Studio.

This is a .dat file mod.
posted 01-12-08 11:37 PM CT (US)     9 / 29  
It's a really good mod, recommended both to experienced modders for inspiration and beginners who want a taste of the endless posibilities of .dat editing. The 4-in-1 trick, the juggernaut, the shallow water patches, the siege towers, everything is top-notch material.
Really? I would have thought the best were the changing trees and the rotating archer on bombard tower

Thanks for the compliment though, especially coming from you.
A modification is a general term for anything that alters the way the game plays and behaves. A modpack on the other hand is the generally accepted definition of a modification created with ModPack Studio.
As a matter of fact, people have done things with modpacks that could actually be done with data editing as well. Eg. Castle to monkey, Heavy swordsman fix etc.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-13-08 00:26 AM CT (US)     10 / 29  
Hmm. Looks like somebody's enjoying his new job as a modder.

Frankly, I have my own "regulation" that I should keep my campaigns as original as possible, without using data modifications with the exception of AOKTS. I haven't tried any single DAT mod file, but seeing that nowadays they have become widely accepted and are enjoying quite a popularity, I'm beginning to think that it'd be rather unwise to keep staying on the same old road.

A question -- Seeing that they add, not replace, the original units in the editor, can we stack up multiple .dat files to use in the game? Like, using both Oliver's and Agamemmnon's?

/\NDANU_TRISATY/\
-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-~¤~-
StormWind Studios

-:|:- Fight Against Fate -:|:- Zegrelandia -:|:- Eternal Moon -:|:- Current Project -:|:-
posted 01-14-08 05:30 AM CT (US)     11 / 29  
Can we stack up multiple .dat files to use in the game? Like, using both Oliver's and Agamemmnon's?
That's not possible, and anyway Aga's contains most of the Renaissance units.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-19-08 03:06 PM CT (US)     12 / 29  
I have updated my file with an in-depth tutorial on data editing. I think it is very helpful, please download! I will adapt it for forums as well.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-20-08 08:32 PM CT (US)     13 / 29  
Why would you need screenshots?
Why would I bother downloading something that doesn't appeal me?
Can we stack up multiple .dat files to use in the game?
I'm actually thinking of a way. Not perfect, but an "standartization pack" of sorts...
posted 01-20-08 10:06 PM CT (US)     14 / 29  
Why would I bother downloading something that doesn't appeal me?
Oh lol, can't you just take mine or matty's or oliver's word for it? Trust me, this should appeal to everyone and give them something to think about.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-21-08 00:00 AM CT (US)     15 / 29  
hmm it won't work for me, it just freeze at the loading screen for the custom senerio.

PS: You should consider modding for AOE3 to, since apperently not many people are interrested in mods here. "glares at a few people, then to computer for not letting me play the custom senario"

[This message has been edited by OldSparta (edited 01-21-2008 @ 00:00 AM).]

posted 01-21-08 02:00 AM CT (US)     16 / 29  
Excuse me Andanu, the last link in your sig takes me to thhe log out page, which is against the CoC.
posted 01-22-08 01:35 PM CT (US)     17 / 29  
hmm it won't work for me, it just freeze at the loading screen for the custom senerio.

PS: You should consider modding for AOE3 to, since apperently not many people are interrested in mods here. "glares at a few people, then to computer for not letting me play the custom senario"
Hm, I don't see why it shouldn't work. If you don't have the patch, you should rename it to empires2_x1.dat.

And Aoe3? no way, first I don't like it and second it's pretty cumbersome to design or mod in it ( from what I've heard ).

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-22-08 01:41 PM CT (US)     18 / 29  
Excuse me Andanu, the last link in your sig takes me to thhe log out page, which is against the CoC.
There were plenty of hints. Don't you look at the address below, when highlighting the link.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 01-22-08 01:46 PM CT (US)     19 / 29  
I'm actually thinking of a way. Not perfect, but an "standartization pack" of sorts..
Picked up on it, Cesar? Sorry I didn't respond to your e-mails - I've been off the globe for a while. I read them, and there's definately some good ideas in there. Feel free to approach the programmers, BTW, as I can't spare the time at the moment.
I'll catch you on MSN some time.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 01-22-08 08:19 PM CT (US)     20 / 29  
Hm, I don't see why it shouldn't work. If you don't have the patch, you should rename it to empires2_x1.dat.

And Aoe3? no way, first I don't like it and second it's pretty cumbersome to design or mod in it ( from what I've heard ).
No it not that, it the custom senario. it show the loading screen but the game never appears.

And AOE is not cumbersome, it easy, and i have the same problem i hate that era in time.
posted 01-22-08 11:23 PM CT (US)     21 / 29  
Why would you need screenshots?
Because some people don't have all the time of the day downloading this file, opening AOC, and trying the mod out himself. In my case, I have a "mother" who inspects my back every now and then.
posted 01-23-08 08:03 AM CT (US)     22 / 29  
Well, um, whatever. It can't really be brought out through screenshots though and right now my Aok is all modded and weirded out, so I won't be posting any. All the same I think people understand this is very useful if you're starting out in data editing

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-23-08 10:36 PM CT (US)     23 / 29  
I'd like to see a trebuche that fired villagers instead of fireballs. Perhaps that could be done with dat editing. I tried changing the trebs projectile to a villager id; it didn't work. There was no projectile just a villager created sound. (I discovered Thats a great way to make a unit that can't attack.) Maybe changing the graphics id number of the fireball to the graphics id numbers of a villager would work. I know its silly, but it would be funny to see the treb fire villagers as projectiles.
posted 01-24-08 01:12 AM CT (US)     24 / 29  
I'd like to see a trebuche that fired villagers instead of fireballs. Perhaps that could be done with dat editing. I tried changing the trebs projectile to a villager id; it didn't work. There was no projectile just a villager created sound. (I discovered Thats a great way to make a unit that can't attack.) Maybe changing the graphics id number of the fireball to the graphics id numbers of a villager would work. I know its silly, but it would be funny to see the treb fire villagers as projectiles.
You can do that in RoR. There's a cheat code which I can't remember just now.

Making the projectile into the villager would be very easy, but it wouldn't look too good. The villager would just be standing there and go to the target location. It wouldn't even go up and down as the anchor points are different.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-24-08 09:39 PM CT (US)     25 / 29  
But if you messed up the anchor points on purpose (and flipped some images) you could make it look as if the villiager gets launched and tumbles head over feet then smacks into a building.
posted 01-24-08 11:26 PM CT (US)     26 / 29  
I could, but that would be a mod, not data editing. Why don't you just play RoR to see the effect for yourself

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-25-08 08:57 AM CT (US)     27 / 29  
First of all, let me say that some of these units look quite good, altough things like the jaguar rider and the elphant wagon don't look really great.

However, what really does appeal me are the champion battalions: 4 soldiers in each battalion, times 200 means that you would get a maximum of 800 men. With the 500 pop-mod, it would be even better. So I'm most impressed with the squads. You said that melee animations don't look all great compared to archer animations with squads, but for my fell, this certainly does.

So what I suggest is making a second mod which allow you to get squads of units. I thought like 4 units for infantry squads, 3 for cavalry and ships would be the same. I would really like to get such a mod, and it would complete what the half-scale mod didn't. Please?

''This is madness!''
''Madness? THIS IS HOLLAND!!!''
''What's the difference?''

The 300 Dutchmen will fight in the shade of an oil fountain..
posted 01-25-08 12:34 PM CT (US)     28 / 29  
Ok, thanks for the positive response

About the 4 or 5 units in one, it's quite easy to do. I wouldn't take more than a day or two. However right now I'll be getting caught up in exams and everything so it'll have to wait. If you want you can do it yourself

Btw, you can have 6,7 any number you want ( though there is an upper limit ) in one. though it may make it extremely laggy.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-25-08 08:18 PM CT (US)     29 / 29  
This was just a thought folks, it might have already been brought up, but I haven't been keeping track of this thread. So sorry if this has already been brought up.

I hear about all these different ideas for future DAT files, and right now people would have to choose between one or the other of olivers, or Jatayu's, and I even hear about other people wanting to make more later on. Why not finish all the ideas you want to make, and then combine it with everyone else's files, including Renaissence, and submitt it to the blacksmith? That way people wouldn't have to be "torn" between one file or the other. Just a thought.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » New units and ideas showcase
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames