Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Generating Random Numbers in Multiplayer/Without AI
posted 09-03-08 07:49 PM CT (US)   
Note: This was posted by Death General on the Gamepark forums. It is a great article, so I decided to post it here so it could get some more looking-at. This is not my work.
Generating Random Numbers in Multiplayer

After extensively testing 3 different methods of randomization, I have finally gathered enough information to publish a summarized and conclusive guide on the different methods of generating random numbers in multiplayer scenarios. Know that I have pushed each method to the furthest extent and enhancement that I can manage, and I have personally tested each method comprehensively; and my ratings are based on this research.

I will be concentrating on randomizers that are completely Gaia, can repetitively generate infinite results, and can provide a reasonably precise level of randomization; as these randomizers are the most useful and versatile.

Bear in mind I will rate the techniques in the following categories:

Speed: How fast results can be produced.
Reliability: The functionality of the design.
Mechanics: How properly the randomization can be derived.
Difficulty: How difficult it is to create.
Esthetics: How easily you can hide the process.
Total: An average of all the ratings.

Each rating will be out of 5.

After each rating, I will also give the explanation as to why it received that rating.
Followed by an overall critique of the method, and other relevent information.

1. Unit Derived Randomizer

Speed: 2
Reliability: 1
Mechanics: 2
Difficulty: 0
Esthetics: 3
Total: 1.6 / 5

Speed –
A good unit derived randomizer still needs an initial boot-up time to scramble the results, about 20-30 seconds is appropriate. Also a proper unit derived randomizer can at best only give a result once every 4 or 5 seconds, without skewing the randomization.

Reliability-
A unit derived randomizer is notorious for jams and unexpected behavior.

Mechanics-
The randomization due to Gaia behavior is poorly derived.
Randomization due to unit offsets is also questionable

Difficulty-
Moderately difficult to set-up… Highly difficult to achieve balance.

Esthetics-
The process takes up a large area, and numerous units. Can be placed anywhere on map.
It is possible to TIC the process without compromising the randomization.

Overview-
This is an archaic method that I’ve pushed as far as I can. There is room for improvement, but one eventually reaches a threshold; that leaves much to be desired. And lastly it is very difficult to create and balance; leaving this method perhaps as a last resort if one has exhausted all other possibilities.

Instructions on how to create proper unit derived randomizer are shown HERE.
Download a demonstration of this technique HERE.

2. Flying Unit Derived Randomizer

Speed: 3
Reliability: 2
Mechanics:3
Difficulty: 5
Esthetics: 1
Total: 2.8/5

Speed-
Initial delay time of about a couple seconds, from then on can produce random stream of numbers every few seconds, however due to the confining geometry of the design, any stray flying units must be deleted… causing an irregular speed.

Reliability-
Unexpected behavior of flying units is in fact possible and documented.
Though however this will not hamper the functionally of the randomizer itself, but rather only effect the randomness factor.

Mechanics-
Though flying unit derived randomizers are a step ahead of unit derived randomizers, after eliminating all variables; upon testing they still show a minor bias… perhaps indicating that flying-unit creation may not be completely random.

Difficulty-
Relatively easy to set up.

Esthetics-
Units must be created at the center of the map. Must be created on an odd dimension map. Will take a small to medium number of tiles.
TIC is possible, though this will eliminate the repetitive capability.

Overview-
The main problem many will have with this technique is that it is limited to the center of a map, and has to conform to special geometry to maintain its randomness. Otherwise it’s a moderately satisfactory method to achieve randomness.

This technique is too simple for a specific guide to be written on how it can be achieved, simply bear in mind that a flying unit (ie hawk) must be created at the center of the map, and from there it randomly travels outwards in any one direction; where it is detected in a specific area.
Further research on this technique may be found HERE.

3. Ungarrison Derived Randomizer

Speed: 5
Reliability: 5
Mechanics: 5
Difficulty: 3
Esthetics: 4
Total: 4.4/5

Speed-
Needs no initial time, will produce results instantly. And can generate a stream of random numbers every second.

Reliability-
A properly constructed ungarrison randomizer should have absolutely no inherent reliability problems

Mechanics-
The randomizing of ungarrisons are fantastic. There is a good possibility that the ungarrison random factor is in essence perfect.

Difficulty-
Moderate difficulty to set up. Requires liberal use of AoKTS.

Esthetics-
Should take a small number of tiles, can be created anywhere.
TIC is possible, but it will eliminate the repetitive capability.

Overview-
An excellent method to create randomness in your multiplayer scenario. It will take a moderate level of work, but the results are about as perfect as you can achieve.

A utility-scenario demonstrating the basic ungarrison derived randomizer is shown HERE.
Proper examples are covered further along in a thread HERE.

---------------------

Conclusion-
If you ever need to create randomness in your multiplayer scenario, then from the methods that I have described; the one that can best suit your need is definitely the Ungarrion Derived Randomizer. It is fast, it is reliable, and it has a random roll that is dead perfect.

The only reason that I can come up with, that you could ever think about using the Flying Unit Derived Randomizer; would be if you had no knowledge in AoKTS… and even then you get by with using a template to mapcopy. And quite frankly I just can’t come up with reason as why someone would practically want to use the Unit Derived Randomizer… there just isn’t any benefit at all when compared to the other methods, but of course who knows… there may yet be someone out there who needs exactly such a thing.

So before wrapping up my final thoughts on MP randomizing, if I could summarize my entire post about randomizers in 1 sentence, I would say:

‘Use the Ungarrion Derived Randomizer for all your needs, if you absolutely MUST use something else; then I have outlined for you, yet 2 more options that may be considered.’

-DG
Note: This was posted by Death General on the Gamepark forums. It is a great article, so I decided to post it here so it could get some more looking-at. This is not my work.

me
Replies:
posted 09-03-08 07:52 PM CT (US)     1 / 3  
I've read this before, and it is indeed a very good article.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
posted 09-03-08 08:01 PM CT (US)     2 / 3  
Yeah, it is. I've posted a couple of his articles in hope that they can be added to the allegedly soon-to-be-improved University.

me
posted 09-03-08 11:02 PM CT (US)     3 / 3  
There's another part to the article (sort of), but it goes far more in-depth with the technical side of it, and it's on a different system of randomization altogether.

The Transport method is better, though.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Generating Random Numbers in Multiplayer/Without AI
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames