Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Poppi
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09-13-08 08:37 PM CT (US)   
Poppi

Poppi Intro now in Blacksmith

SOON I will have Intro and campaign in package together. Sorry for the long time this has all been taking...

---------------------------------------------------------

Presently, Quelland is considered the capital of the known world, especially in commerce and its market. No other nation can compete with the amount of goods Quelland trades and the amount of gold it receives daily. Outstanding, too, is Quelland's long-running record of peace and security.
Thousands of families have moved from places such as the far and cold south, Hastis, and more recently, Conrad's kingdom.
But who can blame them?

--------------------------------------

The Main Scenario of Poppi:

For years Quelland was a prosperous and productive nation for thousands of men from places across many seas, many lands.

Despite occassional quarrel with Conrad, Quelland was a most peaceful place.

Suddenly, an unexpected gust of wind that came from the south brought cool air and moisture to this region (later learned to be snow), haulting farm's produce, killing fish, hiding deer in the woods, and most traumatic, indefinitely stopping international trade.

Quelland became forgotten.

You are Poppi, a survivor of the disaster that overtook Quelland.

Your experience in combat and survival makes you the one chosen to search out other survivors; such as the long-time rival of Conrad and his men, the Hastis Empire, or Trabia.
The farms are not what they used to be. Aid from other peoples could strengthen all and start the renewal of the disaster-stricken nations.
---------------------------------------------------------

And that is the History/Scenario Instructions to this map.

I tried to incorporate a few neat features in the scenario.
You'll have to play to see them all, but one is the ability to go inside abandoned homes and a main building called the Tower of Remembrance. It's been used before and is really quite simple trigger work. I used it quite a bit because it adds a lot of appeal to the gameplay.

I also am planning on continuing the story in a sequel scenario when I have the time for it.

_-_ Screenshots can be found at
_-_ http://pehchaqui.googlepages.com/poppi

Enjoy - it will be in Blacksmith before too long.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 12-23-2008 @ 11:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-13-08 09:23 PM CT (US)     1 / 68  
I'm a bit interested, because it seems kind of new-ish of an idea, but a few things would help to convince me:
~What's the style of play for this game?
~A little more of the story's exciting, tantalizing aspects (like: some looming threat to the survivors)?
~SCREENSHOTS!!!!!!!!! Screenies are the best way to generate interest: if they are good map design, people will know that you have more talent than the average designer (i.e. they can expect a 4.0 or better which is of course good publicity ). Try showing off a cool eye candy trick in your screenie(s) for best effect.

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
Now in Fuschia!!

"I wish I knew what Yoshi's doing on the roof, especially in winter." ~Sissi
"Yoshi lived up to his name and split into 100000." ~Rocking Doom
posted 09-14-08 07:00 AM CT (US)     2 / 68  
The moment I read that story, I knew that this was no n00b scenario designer. Also, I believe the screenshots were good. Though, if Quelland has been hit by snow and agriculture has been ruined, why would there by alot of flowers and snow grass? A more barren landscape involving a mixture of snow, a bit of snow grass along with quite a bit of snow dirt (ruined agriculture) would maybe improve it. I know it's hard to make maps covered in snow, though Jatayu was able to do it in one of his maps I think of Alaska or something.

One more thing. I believe the story needs more purpose. I mean, maybe an envious nation or two feasting on their decaying empire? Perhaps these two weaker nations see an opportunity and are willing to expand in to these lands with promises of reform? Or maybe just outright conquest to make their lands look pretty on maps.

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro
posted 09-14-08 09:17 AM CT (US)     3 / 68  
Poppi? Funny name

Cilibinarii
My AOK Maps
posted 09-14-08 09:41 AM CT (US)     4 / 68  
Snow can still be very interesting and have plenty of its own eye candy tricks, and certainly the whole landscape does not have to be smothered in snow: forest floors can have some dirt and leaves, a small valley might still have some green grass, or a city might have exposed ground from the heat of, say, a blacksmith. You are right about the flowers though, Alex; they have to go!

Zebra, for a screenie idea I suggest a shot of the abandoned/destroyed town, or perhaps the middle of a large forest, or a snow-covered road with some action occuring. To replace the flowers, try using some (not too much) Snow Grass, and maybe a bit of Snow Dirt or Grass3 mixed in for variety.

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
Now in Fuschia!!

posted 09-14-08 12:41 PM CT (US)     5 / 68  
Honestly, while a snowed-over land wouldn't have lots of flowers, I really like the style of the screenshots, even if they aren't realistic.

I'm not much of a playtester, I always end up letting bugs slide through. So I'll wait till this is in the Smith to play it. Good luck!

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-14-08 05:11 PM CT (US)     6 / 68  
~What's the style of play for this game?
The game style is basically an RPG. You are Poppi. Gameplay revolves around finding out what to do next by either talking to people, or finding out hidden paths yourself. Its exciting.
~A little more of the story's exciting, tantalizing aspects (like: some looming threat to the survivors)?
The story itself isn't too exciting. There are looming threats to the survivors though. I should probably include that in the info I posted. I'll update it eventually. Playing the game as Poppi is quite exciting, though, even for me, the designer. One idea I had was releasing a cut scene of the actual "gust of wind" destroying Quelland and surrounding nations. But that is a bit beyond my trigger skills. Although I could just duplicate the city with snow. That's probably a smart idea.
I am not big on revealing tons of my story before releasing. I know that once I already know quite a bit a scenario's story, I don't feel as compelled to play it. Some may disagree, but that's how I take it.
~SCREENSHOTS!!!!!!!!!
Good suggestion. Maybe I'll take some better ones.
The moment I read that story, I knew that this was no n00b scenario designer. Also, I believe the screenshots were good.
Thanks, you're right. I have been designing scenarios "underground" out of the radar of the AOK community for some time.
Though, if Quelland has been hit by snow and agriculture has been ruined, why would there by alot of flowers and snow grass? A more barren landscape involving a mixture of snow, a bit of snow grass along with quite a bit of snow dirt (ruined agriculture) would maybe improve it.
That's exactly how I feel about it, but in the scenario, you'll see why I have so many flowers and shrubbery and such. Maybe that is one of the "tantalizing aspects" of the game I should include.
Honestly, while a snowed-over land wouldn't have lots of flowers, I really like the style of the screenshots, even if they aren't realistic.
Me too. Although a snow-covered landscape would technically be more accurate, the effect of a blizzard-stricken land is still clearly shown. That's the main reason why I added a twist to the game to give it more vegetation. I'll have to post some more pictures that attest to that.

Still no play-testers. But that is alright; I've gotten some feedback here that I'll be sure to incorporate in some of my re-sculpting of the game.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 09-14-2008 @ 05:12 PM).]

posted 09-14-08 05:14 PM CT (US)     7 / 68  
If you need playtesters still, I could play it over and give more ideas and criticism. I'll email you later.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-14-08 07:08 PM CT (US)     8 / 68  
Alright, sounds good.
The file's sending as we speak.

EDIT:
It's not sending.
File may be too big? Not sure. I'll host it on a file hosting site later for you Jimmy. And for everyone.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 09-14-2008 @ 07:16 PM).]

posted 09-14-08 07:33 PM CT (US)     9 / 68  
It sent, so I'm going to start playing.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-15-08 04:32 PM CT (US)     10 / 68  
Ok, thanks.
I updated the info to tell why there's vegetation after a blizzard-attack and I think I gave the "looming threat" aspect too.
Anything else people are worrying about?
The reason why (as you'll see in the screenshots) there's a ton of weeds and flowers is because the "gust of wind from the south" also brought weeds along with it. I'm not sure if it is physically possible for weeds to grow after being carried away by a front. But I can deny physics in AOK.

Also, there is a "looming threat" or an inconvenience to the player in the game. That is the Quells.
Quelland is named after the Quells in the region and they are creatures that throw things at you. In AOK's case, it is a trebuchet with flaming canonballs.
If anyone has a different idea for what the Quells could be, tell me.
I'm also about to post more screenshots.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 09-15-2008 @ 04:37 PM).]

posted 09-15-08 06:52 PM CT (US)     11 / 68  
they are creatures that throw things at you. In AOK's case, it is a trebuchet with flaming canonballs.
No, just no!

Seriously, that sounds terrible. I could come up with a better solution for you I think. Are you familiar with invisible tiles? If not I can explain that to you. Basically I suggest you create an Invisible tile, place a treb on it, and then a unit such as an elephant or Furious the monkey boy or any creature in front of it or just behind the tile. this will make it appear as if the unit is firing them. They would be stationary bet then again so are trebs.

Other than that, looks good. It is good to see promising new people come around. Stay a while, and don't pet Quazzi.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 09-15-08 07:05 PM CT (US)     12 / 68  
I think a while ago qaz explained it as placing over 256 of something on a tile. And then the last thing you place on it is invisible?
That is definitely a better alternative than trebuchets. I thought it was a real cheesy thing, but I didn't want a monkey running around or just simply a human unit.
I'll see what I can do.

Please, any more suggestions? I want people to enjoy this scenario visually as much as they will enjoy it in game-play.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
posted 09-15-08 07:25 PM CT (US)     13 / 68  
How attached to the name 'poppi' are you? It does make your scenario lose some seriousness immediately. At least with me.

Especially when you have serious names like Conrad, Quelland, then along comes...Poppi. Didn't he date Olive Oil?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 09-15-08 08:06 PM CT (US)     14 / 68  
Yes, i must agree with Matt the name is quite Silly and it doe seem to lose some seriousness with the Scenario.

Know god, No fear
No god, Know fear
posted 09-15-08 08:20 PM CT (US)     15 / 68  
You know, I honestly thought the name was intriguing compared to the endless amounts of Welsh-sounding names I've seen, like King Llweflagawlrd ,General Ertwell, etc. But that's just me.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-15-08 09:09 PM CT (US)     16 / 68  
In all honesty, you don't really need a reason for the flower/snow mix. If a blizzard just whipped through, the flowers aren't instantly removed via a trigger in real life. The real problem is when you use too many of them; you will get more points for realism than for breaking the laws of physics, trust me. If you don't trust me, ask Mr. Livecchi...or Mr. Gevearts...or even Mr. Basse or Mr. 999 (who wrote an excellent article, by the way, on stories).

I think Poppi is a fine name for a younger character, or a perhaps a wisecracking older guy; for a 'serious' work however it is advisable to pick a more 'serious' name - it doesn't have to be complex like the so-called "Welsh" names, but something solid and firm. "Conrad," in fact, would be a great choice .

Now in Fuschia!!

posted 09-16-08 02:27 AM CT (US)     17 / 68  
The name did brought a fresh air, though. Richard, Arthur, Friedrich, or any other cool-sounding names have become overused. Who cares about names, though. The scenario is the only thing that matters.
Poppi. Didn't he date Olive Oil?
Nope. You're talking about another guy who made me naively believe that eating spinaches everyday can give you a macho muscle.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 09-16-08 03:47 AM CT (US)     18 / 68  
What 'Poppi' loses in its softness, it gains in its attractiveness.

It's alot more interesting name than many cliches I've heard.

[This message has been edited by Powery (edited 09-16-2008 @ 03:48 AM).]

posted 09-16-08 05:45 PM CT (US)     19 / 68  
Finished playtesting, check your mail.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-16-08 09:16 PM CT (US)     20 / 68  
Poppi will be Poppi at all costs.

The name Poppi was originally going to be used to give the scenario a more light feel. Poppi was going to be a scenario with no fighting and all questing for mysterious causes. But I changed it up and kept the name.
He's not so much a young or aged man. But the fact that the scenario takes place in a foreign-looking and strange setting automatically makes the name Poppi fit.
There's also a guy named Jolly Nate. Poppi also fits the Light Cavalry in Purple.

Conrad is a bad guy. Poppi is a good good-guy name.

The flowers also stay.
Not only is it explained why there are flowers and "weeds" in the scenario, but there is just a mood of eeriness added to the map. The music also reflects an ambient tone with a nice vibe sound and minor piano melodies.

Jimmy, thanks for responding. I also responded to the email, thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll fix up what quirks you found.

I'd like to have at least one more playtester.
Not because Jimmy is incapable, but everyone has their own opinions and it would be perfect if I had just one more.

EDIT:
Just a quick "fyi" for everyone, it's pronounced "Pop-E" not "Pop-AYE."

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 09-16-2008 @ 09:19 PM).]

posted 09-17-08 02:42 PM CT (US)     21 / 68  
Well then how would you pronounce it?

1.Poppi as in the Plant?
2.Pooo-Peee?
3.Po(as in Po-land)pee?
4.Po-Pie?

Know god, No fear
No god, Know fear
posted 09-18-08 10:32 AM CT (US)     22 / 68  
Well, obviously it's pronounced Poppy.

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro
posted 09-23-08 05:42 PM CT (US)     23 / 68  
I was pretty sure that "Pop-E" would'nt have any other pronounciation than Pop-E.

I added some more realism to the game.
Such as a Hastis trader leaving the map to go to Hastis which will effect the next scenario.
Also, some of the terrain looks more rugged and gives more of a "there used to be a thriving civilizaton" look.

I'm still having computer troubles and my compy won't let me sign in again.
I have to use this laptop for AOK.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
posted 09-23-08 07:09 PM CT (US)     24 / 68  
Sounds good, tell me if you need anymore testing. I kinda wondered why the Hastis trader was there.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 09-24-08 11:59 PM CT (US)     25 / 68  
*kicks thread*

(to fix issues with merger)

posted 09-29-08 09:53 PM CT (US)     26 / 68  
I'll need more testing in a few weeks when I update the game more.

Thanks for the kick.

I'm in my last year of schooling so I am now busy. But when I'm not busy, or just plain ignoring my school work, I'll work on Poppi.
Senior-itis is what it's called.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
posted 10-17-08 07:49 PM CT (US)     27 / 68  
Wow, I thought this thread was knocked off the forums. Guess not.

Update:
I am 98% finished with Poppi.

All that is left is figuring out the Quells problem of the invisible tile. (I discovered I'm not that good at invisible tile/trigger work. ) :$

And other minuscule details I may or may not tamper with; I've become lazy.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
posted 10-17-08 08:12 PM CT (US)     28 / 68  
Sounds good!

What are you using an invisible tile for? There are alternatives for many common uses of the invisible tile that are less messy/arguably easier to setup.

me
posted 10-17-08 09:37 PM CT (US)     29 / 68  
Great, I was afraid this had been forgotten.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 10-17-08 10:08 PM CT (US)     30 / 68  
I'm definitely interested Impeached.

The invisible tile that I'm working on is putting 3 trebuchets inside of it to give the illusion that a ball-thing is attacking the player. The thing that has been taking so long (besides school and work) is that most of my trebuchets choose not to disappear in the invisible tile. They cheat the system.

If anyone would be willing to take my scenario and do the invisible tile for me (I am too lazy to learn right now (I'd also, obviously, give credit to the helper )), that would be option A. Option B is if Impeached suggests something easier to me.

Jimmy, no worries.
Btw, I changed the Conrad player to orange since < CYAN > doesn't seem to work in Display Instructions.

Would you be willing to playtest one last time after I get the Quells thing under control?

EDIT: Did you know that typing < CYAN > without the spaces makes it disappear? I didn't. Fixed it.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 10-17-2008 @ 10:12 PM).]

posted 10-17-08 11:15 PM CT (US)     31 / 68  
Sure, I'd be happy to test. Just send it when ready.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 10-17-08 11:18 PM CT (US)     32 / 68  
You need to type < AQUA > (without the spaces) instead for cyan text color.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."

[This message has been edited by Andanu Trisatya (edited 10-17-2008 @ 11:19 PM).]

posted 10-22-08 07:42 PM CT (US)     33 / 68  
Alright, with that new info, I changed Conrad back to their original color. Thanks Andanu.

I should mention there's an Introduction Scenario to Poppi that I've also been making and is practically finished. I'd say it's also 98% finished. I just have to add music.

The invisible tile problem is really the only problem putting this scenario on hold right now. That is my main focus. Any help would be nice.
Suggestions?

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
posted 10-23-08 09:10 AM CT (US)     34 / 68  
Have you looked at using The Invisible Cloak Poptart?
It's a far easier method of making an object invisible than the invisible tile.
The only thing that might be an issue is whether the projectiles fired from the unit are still visible or not... Still, its worth running some tests.

Also, your campaign intrigues me, good luck!

[This message has been edited by thepunkguy (edited 10-23-2008 @ 09:11 AM).]

posted 10-30-08 05:17 PM CT (US)     35 / 68  
I've never heard of that before. I'll check it out, in fact, right now.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Poppi
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames