You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Game of the Year 2008 -- RESULTS!
posted 01-26-09 11:34 AM CT (US)   

The first month of January is almost at its end and 2008 is soon only in our memories. Admitingly, the past year has been relatively inactive compared to earlier years, if you count the releases in the Blacksmith. But in fact, there's been quite a lot of activity in the Blacksmith during 2008; we've got a new category for all competition entries, and there's been several competitions held druing the year. Although the supposedly returning Annual Cut-Scene Contest remained absent, we've experiensed both a second Mini Game Competition and a Defend the Spot Contest, of which the latter was only recently finished. We've even seen the return of the old traditions of the Pretty Town Contest, which spawned some amazing marvels in designing.

And we should not forget the many other good designs that were released during the year. To make sure we don't, this event has been hosted, to allow the public to select their top favourites from the past year. These are, according to public opinion, the best games of the past year. I gladly bring you the Game of the Year Awards, AoKH's answer to the Oscars.

Legend:
Placement: Scenario/Campaign/Member name (authour) [number of votes]

Best Gameplay
When speaking about Age of Kings creations, the term 'gameplay' is a very vague one, especially if you're reviewing a scenario. Gameplay includes anything from possible bugs to lag to how well the game worked as a whole. The biggest and most important thing about gameplay is the question; Did you have fun playing the game? That's the core of the term gameplay, and the winner of this category is the game that people enjoyed playing most of all; and the winner this year was given a clear majority of the votes. Night Conqueror's The Dogs of War received five out of eight points!

1st: The Dogs of War (Night Conqueror) [5]
2nd: Adventure Series X The War (Jas the Mace1) [2]
3rd: The Fury Rästulf (Courtjester1) [1]

Honorable Mentions: 2475 - Birth of the Uruk-Hai (morgoth bauglir), My Fort - My Empire (Lord Basse)

Best Map Design
While everyone likes something really pretty to look at, in most scenarios the map design isn't in itself the major part of the scenario; unless, of course, the scenario in question is a Pretty Town Contest entry. This year's winner of this title is a winner already, and comes from a designer that normally stun us with his beautiful, minimalistic designs. Can you gess who, and with what? Julius999's Bargravia of course, the winner of the Pretty Town Contest of 2008. Bagravia, just like The Dogs of War in best Gameplay, won a landslide victory over its competitors, also receiving 5 out of 8 possible points!

1st: Bagravia (Julius999) [5]
2nd: Adventure Series X The War (Jas the Mace1) [1]
2rd: The Kingdom of Drakia (Cknchaos)
2th: The Mountain Township (Scud)

Honorable Mention: The Dogs of War (Night Conqueror)

Best Story
A badly told story can ruin the best of scenarios, and an atmospheric story can improve the weakest of campaigns. Stories may not always be in the center of focus, but when they are, and succeed in their aim, they can provide some of the best scenarios you get to play. This year, the Best Story category also provides us with the first tie in the results! With both winners receiving three out of seven votes, we have two worthy winners; Andanu Trisatya's modern era set story about love and regret, Tender, and Courtjester1's epic Viking saga about great wars and mystic beasts, The Fury of Rästulf.

1st: Tender (Andanu Trisatya) [3]
1st: The Fury of Rästulf (Courtjester1)
3rd: The Dogs of War (Night Conqueror) [1]

Honorable Mentions: Adventure Series X The War (Jas the Mace1), The Tower of the Moon (Lord Basse)

Best Score
While music and sound effects aren't neccesary to make a good scenario, using these wisely and picking the most fitting tracks can enhance the atmosphere greatly. The winner in the category this year went against the norm in two ways; first, the scenario was set in the realm of Middle Earth, and yet it used no music from the Lord of the Rings movies, and second, all the dialogue was sounded out through voice acting, done by the author himself, morgoth bauglir. The big time winner is 2475 - Birth of the Uruk-Hai!

1st: 2475 - Birth of the Uruk-Hai (morgoth bauglir) [5]
2nd: The Fury of Rästulf (Courtjester1) [2]
3rd: Tender (Andanu Trisatya) [1]

Honorable Mentions: The Dogs of War (Night Conqueror), The Tower of the Moon (Lord Basse)

Best Multiplayer Scenario
The custom made AIs in Age of Kings and our beloved Blacksmith may be good when training and improving your skills, but you can't escape the fact they're all stupid AIs, programmed to do their thing and nothing more. If you look for thinking opponents and proper competition, multiplayer is what you're looking for! This category brings the second tie of the results, and what's even more special is that both winners are from the same authour; Impeached! The winners are his two scenarios Mason Massacre and Valar Morgulis - All Men Must Die.

1st: Mason Massacre (Impeached) [2]
1st: Valar Morgulis - All Men Must Die

Honorable Mentions: GTA San Andreas (Lol Hahaa), RPG: The Lords of Normandy (kykexx), Real World Europe (kyriakos_xasapis)

Best Minigame
Since the creation of AoK Trigger Studio, the Blacksmith has been receiving minimalistic maps with simple gameplay, some times even regarded as a short story or novellette version a full campaign. These mini games have become quite aphenomenon, spawning two Mini Game Conpetitions, two years in a row. The winner this year comes from the author of the winning entry to this year's competition, but the winner itself is an arcade style defend the spot style scenario, with a very nostalgia-glorifying story. As it's authour I, Lord Basse, am very thankful for all the votes My Fort - My Empire received!

1st: My Fort - My Empire (Lord Basse) [4]
2nd: Regicide in Calchar Woods (Julius999) [2]
3rd: The Battle of Thermopylae - the 300 (sSs_Cobra007) [1]
3rd: The Black Gate of Mordor (Dantares IV)

Honorable Mention: The Tower of the Moon (Lord Basse)

Best Newcomer
Stepping over the the designers' section, we start out by giving you the strongest newbie designer of 2008, according to the public. With crazy and creative scenarios, the winner has charmed a lot of visitors and created at least one laughter fest of a scenario, I Hate Snow. Congratulations to the winner, sissi!

1st: sissi [5]
2nd: Cilibinarii [3]
3rd: dane_g87 [1]

Most Improved Designer
No one of the master designers we know started out as good as we know them. Berserker Jerker, Ingo van Thiel, Crasher, oliver, the list is long; all of them started out as newbie designers once. And with every new project, we all improve and learn new things to implement to out designs, and works in real life. The winners, all three, have proved themselves to have become even better designers over the past year than they were before, and for that we applaud them; Andanu Trisatya, Julius999 and morgoth bauglir!

1st: Andanu Trisatya [3]
1st: Julius999
1st: morgoth bauglir
4th: Dantares IV [2]
4th: Lord Basse
6th: Cilibinarii [1]
6th: Courtjester1

Designer of the Year
This award is given to whoever the public finds the best designer of all of the past year; be it their productivity, their high quality design or their creative ways of innovation; the public decides. The 'top three' has a total of six people in it, as a result of the close competition. Though it was close, one came out on top; yours truly, Lord Basse, but the distances to second and third place were small.

1st: Lord Basse [4]
2nd: Courtjester1 [3]
2nd: Impeached
4th: Andanu Trisatya [2]
4th: Dantares IV
4th: Julius999
7th: Cilibinarii [1]
7th: Night Conqueror

And with the results out, I say my thanks to you for having me as your host once again. Not that you had much of a choice, but hey. And now, a toast. To a good past year, and to a new, more productive year! Cheers chaps!

*clinks Pepsi glass*

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-26-2009 @ 11:34 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-26-09 11:41 AM CT (US)     1 / 17  
Newspost plox.

I am honoured to win one category, but I cant quite understand the votes in improvedness, since I got a better scoring scenario out more than a year ago.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 01-26-09 11:45 AM CT (US)     2 / 17  
The newspost is on its way!
I got a better scoring scenario out more than a year ago.
Nah, that's just the reviewers being harsher

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 01-26-09 11:47 AM CT (US)     3 / 17  
That might even be true, looking at the crap that scored 5's in the old days.

Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 01-26-09 12:27 PM CT (US)     4 / 17  
Congrats to you all, pals ! You really deserve it !
And thank you so much for your votes, because for me that's a nice friendly 'welcome aboard' !
posted 01-26-09 01:19 PM CT (US)     5 / 17  
Congrats everybody!

Thanks to the people who thought my map was worth a vote

[This message has been edited by Jas the Mace1 (edited 01-26-2009 @ 01:20 PM).]

posted 01-26-09 03:31 PM CT (US)     6 / 17  
Congrats all!!
posted 01-26-09 05:25 PM CT (US)     7 / 17  
Good job to all involved. Congratulation. If I can ever get out of Oliver's cave, I will down load and play these games.

Olaf the Tardy ~ ~ ~ ~ T he Laughing Mule
              (\__/)
              |^^|-,___,-._,<
              (o o),|___| \
           _V_v_||_||_||_||_v_v_V
.sig by Dark_Reign
posted 01-26-09 06:55 PM CT (US)     8 / 17  
Once again, thanks for you votes. I hope to make some equally enjoyable games in the future.

Night Conqueror
posted 01-26-09 07:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 17  
I don't think I deserve any of this, but thanks for the kind votes, fellows.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 01-26-09 08:55 PM CT (US)     10 / 17  
Why do you always put yourself down, Andanu? You should at least realize that you do have talent.

You may think you are being modest, but you're kind of pissing on the people who like you & vote for you. :/

me
posted 01-26-09 10:49 PM CT (US)     11 / 17  
It's always been in my nature in here and real life, Peach. I can't help it. It's becoming rather annoying, I know, but please try to put up with it, or just leave it alone.

That aside, I've just realized that I'm a collector of shared gold medals in every competition.

[This message has been edited by Andanu Trisatya (edited 01-26-2009 @ 10:51 PM).]

posted 01-27-09 03:18 AM CT (US)     12 / 17  
Congrats to everyone. I will have to find time to play all these scenarios.

Hey Basse, Designer of the Year, well done you deserve it.
posted 01-27-09 06:10 AM CT (US)     13 / 17  
@ Berserker Jerker : it's nice to meet you here ! I take that occasion to tell you how precious and fantabulous your tutorials scx are, thanks so much for having done that, it's very generous. It's the most helpful thing I've ever found here, really. One thousand thanks.
Take care of yourself.
posted 01-27-09 10:50 AM CT (US)     14 / 17  
Thanks BJ

Now folks, since this is done, which system did you prefer; this year's version, with nominees and single votes, or last year's one, with open numbers of nominees that you choose yourself for all categories?

Personally I prefer this system, because it's less work for me, and it gives fewer ties

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 01-27-09 11:20 AM CT (US)     15 / 17  
I prefer this one too, TBH. Clear nominees.

posted 01-29-09 06:13 AM CT (US)     16 / 17  
Simpler, certainly, but be careful while choosing the nominees, so people don't think it's fishy if you take my meaning... (9 out of 9 OK, but fairly).

Oblomovist Airhead
DDT Productions
Crazy Kitsch Quest (RPG - Parody cpx)*** I hate snow (Cinematic)***Lawrence,Al'Aurans (movie)
posted 01-29-09 09:32 AM CT (US)     17 / 17  
Yes, last year's was a bit ridiculous with the enormous amount of nominees clinging to the same medal.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Game of the Year 2008 -- RESULTS!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames