Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The AoKH Murder Mystery Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 09-01-10 03:35 AM CT (US)   

___-___INTRODUCTION___-___

Hi everyone! The idea for this thread sprouted from some off-topic banter regarding a screenshot in the CSC (my screenshot, incidentally), and everyone was discussing how they think the king was murdered using evidence from the screenshot, seeing as I didn't make it too terribly clear. I will, in fact, credit joshua4missions for the original idea for the thread. I brainstormed on it a bit more and here I am. I made this thread because I think that the CSC really helps with the forum's active designing skills, in other words, all of your abilities to continually grow and become more experienced and generally better designers on a semi-daily process. I'd like to expand on this idea a bit. The idea behind this thread is to create a more "laid back" designing experience. The CSC is pretty formal in its process, and it demands a lot from a designer to win (usually), and it takes a week to go through one round. With the Murder Mystery Thread, I hope that people can just log onto AoKH, pop open this thread, and participate, learning about designing usually without even opening the editor. Of course, the thread's theme provides that we can have some fun in this process, so that also helps with the laid-backness. I want it to be a blend between TC off-topic forum games and scenario designing. That's what I was shooting for in this process, and I hope it doesn't greatly degrade from the other aspects of the "game."

___-___HOW IT WORKS___-___

A lot of ideas came out of CSC, and seeing as I started the first one, I can't help but steal some of its ideas. Basically, we'll start with a screenshot of a murder scene. It may not have any text except that for effect, i.e. "the smell of rot hangs in the air," or other sort of description or clue. This will make sense later. After posting it, the first three people who post after it will be known as the witnesses. These witnesses will start their post with the bolded word "Witness." This is so we can allow people to commentate on the process without participating, but still leaving us able to denote those who want to participate. The witness will give their side of the story as to what's happening. They can effectively do whatever they want; they may get into character and place themselves in the scene and say what they saw, or they can just post from a forumer's perspective and give an interpretation of the murder. What really matters is what they say, not really how they say it, but the ladder may affect the former in some situations. Next, the following five posters will be the jury, and will once again start their posts with the bolded word "Jury" to denote themselves as participants. The job of the jury is, in 2-5 sentences per poster, to decide upon which of the witnesses story they think is true. Now, in reality, the jury can vote upon each screenshot in any manner they want. They can cast a vote because it was funny, entertaining, or legitimately accurate - the vote is really all that matters. I know it sounds like homework to give the sentence guideline, but it prevents people from going "lol i liked it" and having that count, because that's just not fair to anyone, and the jury are encouraged to have a bit of fun with their reasoning. Lastly, the winner creates their own murder scene and screencaps it, posts it, and we rinse and repeat.

As you can tell, this bears quite a bit of resemblance in its structure to CSC, but I changed a few things to make it more laid back and smoother. The 3:5 ratio of witnesses to jury prevents any ties from occurring*, and the non-time-based structure gives the game a flow of its own. As well, the fact that the voters aren't directly voting upon the screenshot but on the interpretations of it, on top of the fact that there's only one screenshot at a time, gives the thread more of a "game" feel, rather than a "competition" feel. That way, the screenshots are made for fun, creativity, and/or personal taste of the designer, whereas some in the CSC are created for public appeal.

Synopsis of the process:
  • Screenshot is taken and submitted - no text or narration allowed except to add more detail or description
  • Witnesses submit their testimonies - three per screenshot
  • Jury votes upon which witness' story they find most appealing - five per screenshot
  • Winning witness submits another screenshot

___-___RULES AND REGULATIONS___-___

• All screenshot-editing restriction rules in the CSC stand here - no picture editing except to remove toolbars or to add text, no mapshots (obviously), no modpacks that add new graphics, no advanced data editing to create new/hybrid SLPs, and screenshots must be taken from your own scenarios and only for this game.
  • Murder scenes need not be full-screen screenshots. They can be cropped down to smaller portions of the game screen, but please don't make them tiny.
  • *In the event that the first four jury members split the four votes between two witness' stories, the fifth jury member must break the tie, and may not vote on the third witness' story.
  • If for whatever reason that many participants disagree with a screenshot's validity or quality, or if the winner is taking too long to submit a new scene, the participants may vote to override the screencapper with 5 (please help with this number) votes. If this happens, the first person to post a new scene will be accepted. This is to keep us from being burdened with grace periods and such. (Again, please help with this rule - I don't know how fair it is).
  • Please suggest any more rules you think are worth adding.
  • Lastly, I won't be tracking game progresses or previous winners as the CSC does in this thread. This reason being is that I hope for this to move too quick for me to want to keep up, and hopefully the amount of rounds will be too great to be worth keeping in the topic post, for bandwidth's sakes. I will, however, create a highlight board at my own descretion. That way the truly unique/funny/interesting rounds get the recognition they deserve.

I hope you guys like my idea! So, to start us off, here's the first scene. It's not the best, but I'd like to get the ball rolling more than anything.

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 09-03-2010 @ 06:39 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 09-01-10 04:44 AM CT (US)     1 / 81  
    Witness

Living conditions sucked for the sheep and horses. the hay was stale, and there wasn't any water.
    there was a rebellion in the animal pen. An alliance was formed and a few sheep escaped, killing the farmer in the stampede. The wife was dragged off by the horse.

"i keep my female villagers either garrisoned in the town center or pickin' berries where they belong"

[This message has been edited by Donnieboy (edited 09-01-2010 @ 10:28 AM).]

posted 09-01-10 06:28 AM CT (US)     2 / 81  
    Witness

The Farmer's wife hated her husband. She killed him with a piece of farming equipment. She then stole a few sheep and a took a hrse to escape on.

That's my theory.
    posted 09-01-10 07:13 AM CT (US)     3 / 81  
    The last Witness, right ?

A bandit came to farmer's house. He wanted to stay there that night, but the farmer didn't accept his *offer*. The bandit killed the farmer, kidnapped his wife(for doing *secret* things with her), took a horse to mount and a sheep to eat.

EDIT: You wrote wrong "find" at the 3th bullet.

The 1st Most Improved Forummer of 2010.
    The 3rd Most Improved Designer of both 2009 and 2010.
    Obviously, member of the great and the well known BlackForest Studios.
    Was host of Continous Screenshot Competition I at AoEHeaven.

[This message has been edited by Fanica (edited 09-01-2010 @ 07:34 AM).]

posted 09-01-10 09:17 AM CT (US)     4 / 81  
    Jury

I vote for witness #2's testimony. The murder weapon is still laying beside the body. The bandit would likely have had a weapon to begin with and would have tried to hide the evidence.

~Estien Nifo~
    Original creator of the Advanced Genie Editor
    posted 09-01-10 02:21 PM CT (US)     5 / 81  
    Jury

I believe Witness 1. Stealing sheep would be an impossible idea whilst riding a horse and tying to escape the scene of a crime.

Yeebaagooon: See, he's hardcore. Opting for people rather than vegetables!
    posted 09-01-10 02:31 PM CT (US)     6 / 81  
    Jury

It cant be witness number 1 because if the horses and sheep hated the farmer wouldnt all of them left? It couldnt be number 3 either because it would be extreamly hard for one man to cary a woman and a few sheep while on a horse. My conclusion is that witness # 2 was right

Life is bleak
    My memes are bleak
    Once upon a time
    I ate a lime

[This message has been edited by dementor561 (edited 09-01-2010 @ 02:32 PM).]

posted 09-01-10 04:27 PM CT (US)     7 / 81  
    Sherlock Holmes

Witness 2 is mostly correct.

The problem with Witness 3's testimony is that if the argument he describes took place it wouldn't have been in the middle of the vegetable patch. It would have either been in the house or more probably near the road as that's where the bandit would have arrived from. The possibility that the body was moved afterwards can be discounted as there is no reason why having taken the effort to move it at all the bandit would move it to a place where it achieves nothing.

Witness 1 is also incorrect, as escaping sheep would have had no cause to stampede in the direction required for the farmer to die in that spot. Also, stampeding sheep? What is this?

However a woman escaping on a horse could not have carried away plural sheep. She may have killed one sheep and stolen the meat and wool and then ridden off, leaving other sheep to either wander off or be stolen by an opportunistic thief. Alternatively, not fearing rapid pursuit, the horse is carrying multiple sheep and she is leading it on foot.

I can also deduce that the crime was not premeditated. No farmer's wife would plan to attack her husband in broad daylight in the middle of a field with a weapon. If planning was involved she might have opted for poisoning, or attacked him while he was asleep. Furthermore she will not return to the scene of the crime, as her failure to fasten the gate and secure valuable animals means she is not worried about losing them and as she is not so wealthy as to be careless about these possessions she must have abandoned them, and thus will not return.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    posted 09-01-10 04:36 PM CT (US)     8 / 81  
    posted 09-01-10 07:20 PM CT (US)     9 / 81  
    Wow, that was fast. Grats to you, Possidon, get a new scene up whenever it's most convenient to you.
    posted 09-02-10 02:19 AM CT (US)     10 / 81  
    I know that its a bit late, but I'm not voting; just pointing out...
    Sherlock Holmes
    Dr. Watson
    posted 09-02-10 06:34 AM CT (US)     11 / 81  
    Drat, the votings already gone by. I'm on holiday so I couldn't post my witness account yesterday after I thought of my theory. Here is my thought on the case:

In my eyes, there is only two ways the murder happened, I'll post my thought on both:

1: Thief came and killed him:
    This theory is good, although is seems unstable, why would a theif attack a lowly farmer. Another fact that points toward this is that there is still a horse left. In the medieval days, a horse could be worth a lot. If it was a thief, then he would have taken the other horse as well to sell.
    The thief instead could have been another man that the wife and he plotted to kill the farmer so that the killer and farmers wife could run off. This could be because the farmers wife lived quite poorly, and was tired of it. So she jumped at the chance for a higher level life style.

2: Farmers wife killed him:

This is my most sound theory, all evidence points toward the wife. Firstly, an experienced killer/thief wouldn't kill someone out in the open by the road, he would wait till he was hidden, then strike. Or, he would have hidden the body. If the wife did it, she is not experienced in what to do. My theory is that the farmers wife came up behind him, killed him, ran to the horse paddock and rode off with a horse to make her escape. In her haste she left the gate open allowing several sheep to wander off.

Sheep in both cases most likely wandered off in the escape, as sheep are quite bulky and hard to sheepnap().

That was my thought on the murder.

joshua4missions

[This message has been edited by joshua4missions (edited 09-02-2010 @ 10:19 AM).]

posted 09-03-10 01:44 PM CT (US)     12 / 81  
    posted 09-03-10 01:53 PM CT (US)     13 / 81  
    Witness

The Mayor jumped of the roof of his mansion. The people were busy doing their daily duties so they didn't notice his suicide until late after.
    posted 09-03-10 02:00 PM CT (US)     14 / 81  
    Witness

The Mayor of the City heard through a letter from the capital that the whole country is being attacked by their enemy and a large army is preparing to siege his city. The men of the port started to carry their resources and goods in ships to leave the port, once they were informed.
    The Mayor had to remain in the city with his several guards and defend it. He thought living anymore will increase the pain in his heart and finally commited suicide by throwing a sharp dagger in his heart and died(throwing the dagger near him). Nobody saw any wound due to mayor's clothes that hidden the mortal wound.

[This message has been edited by Fanica (edited 09-03-2010 @ 02:13 PM).]

posted 09-03-10 02:27 PM CT (US)     15 / 81  
    Witness

The incident occured when the mayor was in the second floor of his private home. An assassin somehow, perhaps climbing from the roofs of nearby unprotected buildings, entered the mayor's home and proceeded to attack (whether his motives were for political or personal reasons is unknown). There was a struggle, as the mayor had a knife on him, and the assassin was wounded, but the killer managed to push the victim out of his window and onto the ground below, killing him. The mayor's knife landed next to his body. The arrow is a red herring, and has nothing to do with the case.

~ White Light on the Black Sky ~ -- ~ 1st Place (tied) of 4, 2012 Cinematic Scenario Competition ~ [4.7]
    ~ A Cold Winter's Day ~ -- ~ 2nd Place of 16, 2009 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2009 ~ [4.7]
    ~ The Mole ~ -- ~ 3rd Place of 15, 2012 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2012 ~ [4.4]
    posted 09-03-10 03:00 PM CT (US)     16 / 81  
    Jury

Witness 2, although I can't believe a king would kill himself. Both of the other explanations are less likely due to the roof/window positions.

Yeebaagooon: See, he's hardcore. Opting for people rather than vegetables!

[This message has been edited by Ruairidh888 (edited 09-03-2010 @ 03:01 PM).]

posted 09-03-10 03:16 PM CT (US)     17 / 81  
    He's a mayor, not a king.

posted 09-03-10 03:46 PM CT (US)     18 / 81  
    Once the winner is announced I will tell you what I thought when I made the screenshot.
    posted 09-03-10 03:58 PM CT (US)     19 / 81  
    How is the scenario going? I mean the one you took the screenshot in, The Murder on Elm street
    posted 09-03-10 04:52 PM CT (US)     20 / 81  
    All my projects are on hold at the moment. I am in the process of creating a big multiplayer map. NBut that seems to be going downhill as well. It seems that as soon as I get to all the triggers it my scenarios stop.
    posted 09-03-10 05:38 PM CT (US)     21 / 81  
    Jury:-Witness 3, sound the most logical of the witnesses.

joshua4missions
    posted 09-03-10 06:38 PM CT (US)     22 / 81  
    Jury: My vote goes to Witness number 3. It would explain the mayor's death without a wound and a bloody dagger, though the red herring arrow seems a bit suspicious. Still, more likely than a mayor committing suicide.
    posted 09-03-10 10:38 PM CT (US)     23 / 81  
    Jury: I believe witness 3 for it is much more likely then the others. As witness two's statement seems unlikely due to the fact that the body was probably looked over by doctors since he was rich mayor, witness 1 dosen't explain the arrow and the dagger.

Man, Dann, you sure did wipe the... flor... with him on that one! BAM! OOO! ~ Aro
    posted 09-03-10 11:24 PM CT (US)     24 / 81  
    Three votes for me? I guess I win then. I'll have a screenshot up by tomorrow night, probably.

~ White Light on the Black Sky ~ -- ~ 1st Place (tied) of 4, 2012 Cinematic Scenario Competition ~ [4.7]
    ~ A Cold Winter's Day ~ -- ~ 2nd Place of 16, 2009 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2009 ~ [4.7]
    ~ The Mole ~ -- ~ 3rd Place of 15, 2012 Minigame Competition; Voted Best Minigame of the Year, 2012 ~ [4.4]
    posted 09-04-10 02:24 AM CT (US)     25 / 81  
    This thread is a fascinating read!

I support the testimony of witness 3. The assassin was probably hired by a political counter party, and the red arrow was placed by the assassin as a warning sign from the party.

@Possidon, if this is a screenshot from your scenario Murder on Elm Street, I think this is a great way to publicize it.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
    posted 09-04-10 04:59 AM CT (US)     26 / 81  
    Yeah, seems like fun. I might have to try and join in when I can find the time.
    posted 09-04-10 05:15 AM CT (US)     27 / 81  
    same here. just that whenever i visit this place, the witnesses and jury have already finished their duties
    posted 09-04-10 06:58 AM CT (US)     28 / 81  
    Congrats Paperclip. I also thought your theory was best out of the three.

When I was making this screenshot the theory going through my head was that the Mayor had been poisoned but he saw the assassin, and stabbed him with his dagger, However the assassin got away. The mayor then ran outside for help but was too late. He droopped to the floor dead. Thne arrow was dropped by an arrow salesman going to the markek.
    posted 09-04-10 05:10 PM CT (US)     29 / 81  
    So I was right when I said the arrow was a red herring? I thought it would have an explanation, I just couldn't for the life of me find one that made sense.

Anyway, here's the new screenshot: A Market Employee in the Market Alley

posted 09-04-10 05:22 PM CT (US)     30 / 81  
    Witness: Okay my theory is that John Doe(how original) works for the Merchant. He decided to leave the merchants business and work for his brother who recently offered him a job at the blacksmith. When the merchant heard of this , he was angry that john was leaving him as the merchant relied on John Doe for the success of his business as he carried a big load at the market. John successfully left the merchant. Over the weeks the merchant learned of Johns daily duties and also learned that he left at night through the back door of the Blacksmith as he locked up. The merchant, hiding in his market a few night later, snuck up behind John Doe as he left through the back door of the Blacksmith and hit him on the head. He then made his escape through the market. He was found dead in the morning by a guard.

joshua4missions

[This message has been edited by joshua4missions (edited 09-04-2010 @ 05:35 PM).]

posted 09-04-10 05:24 PM CT (US)     31 / 81  
    Witness

John was killed by his brother to collect his inheritance for his wife who was bound to give birth soon. While his brother remained a successful position, it was not nearly as successful as the merchant. He was hit in the head with a blunt object that could have easily been hidden in the barracks nearby (knowing his relations with military persons, being a blacksmith and all). Fortunately, the bushes were large enough to obstruct the public's view.

[This message has been edited by Turtov (edited 09-04-2010 @ 05:25 PM).]

posted 09-04-10 05:28 PM CT (US)     32 / 81  
    Witness 3

John Doe was playing Hide and Seek with his guard. He was trying to climb up the tall pine tree, but he fell down just before he reached the top, and hit himself so bad that he died almost instantly.

Edit: Seems like those above me managed to post at the same time as me

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 09-04-2010 @ 05:30 PM).]

posted 09-04-10 05:30 PM CT (US)     33 / 81  
    Edit : Oops there are already three witnesses, too late.

[This message has been edited by Tarsiz (edited 09-04-2010 @ 05:42 PM).]

posted 09-04-10 05:33 PM CT (US)     34 / 81  
    Sorry Tarsiz, we already have three witnesses.

joshua4missions
    posted 09-04-10 05:41 PM CT (US)     35 / 81  
    Yes I just saw that, when I started to write there was no answer yet, so next time I'll have to be quicker.

Jury : Witness 1 is the most likely to be right.. As working for a rich merchant, John Doe must have had a great deal of work to do every day, so that left him few time to play Hide and Seek with guards. Then, as a succesful blacksmith, his brother wouldn't need John's poor inheritance.

[This message has been edited by Tarsiz (edited 09-04-2010 @ 05:41 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The AoKH Murder Mystery Thread
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames