Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Crashes - How to find and fix it
posted 04-25-11 09:12 AM CT (US)   
I have experienced several crashes since I first started designing in aok, which was for about 1 year ago.

More than 1 year has past since I first posted here on aokh, and I feel like I should share my experience

Now I know how to avoid crashing with triggers and how to fix it easily. Most of the crashes I have now is map-related rather than trigger-related. I'm going to tell you what can cause the game to crash, and how I solve it.

To find a crashing trigger

1. Make a copy of your file and name it like "Test Crash trigger" or something
2. Open the map
3. Go to trigger section
4. If you have tons of triggers (100+) read 4b), if you have only a few, read 4a)
4a) Turn off all triggers so that their starting status is OFF. Then turn on the triggers 1 by one and test. When you have the crashing trigger ON, the game will crash. Then you have the crashing trigger.
4b) Sort the triggers in to sections first, then delete 1 section at a time and test. When you find the section that has a trigger that crashes the game, do 4a) with that section only.
5) Check the effects in the trigger and see what might be crashing it. Check the list below to get some ideas what might be causing it to crash.

Triggers that can cause the game to crash

Stop Unit - Stop Unit seems to crash for me sometimes. I haven't really figured out how to fix this yet.
Freeze Unit - Same as Stop Unit, but crashes less than Stop Unit for me.
Task Object - Make sure to set Area/Objects to task to a location. If you don't do so, all units on the map belonging to that player will be tasked. If the player has over 300 objects, the game will crash.
Kill Object - If you kill more than 300 objects are once, the game will crash. Set specific objects and split it in to different effects to avoid crashing.
Remove Object - If you remove more than 300 objects are once, the game will crash. Set specific objects and split it in to different effects to avoid crashing.
Activate Trigger - When Activate Trigger effect doesn't have a trigger to activate, the game will crash. Usually if you place a trigger and uses Activate Trigger to make it fire, and then delete the trigger. Leaving the Activate Trigger with not trigger to activate.
Deactivate Trigger - When Deactivate Trigger effect doesn't have a trigger to deactivate, the game will crash. Usually if you place a trigger and uses Deactivate Trigger to stop it, and then delete the trigger. Leaving the Deactivate Trigger with not trigger to deactivate.
Unload - I've experienced several crashes with this one. Might be if you set no area/object you want to unload, or if you forget to set location. So make sure you have the desired area/object and location.
Change Ownership - If your effect has no object of area, it will change ownership of all units on map. If there are more than 300 units, the game will crash. Make sure you have correct area and objects selected to avoid crash. If it still crashes, split it in to several effects and areas.
Damage Object - If your effect has no object of area, it will damage all units on map. If there are more than 300 units, the game will crash. Make sure you have correct area and objects selected to avoid crash. If it still crashes, split it in to several effects and areas.
Change Object HP - If your effect has no object of area, it will change HP to all units on map. If there are more than 300 units, the game will crash. Make sure you have correct area and objects selected to avoid crash. If it still crashes, split it in to several effects and areas.
Change Object Attack - If your effect has no object of area, it will change attack to all units on map. If there are more than 300 units, the game will crash. Make sure you have correct area and objects selected to avoid crash. If it still crashes, split it in to several effects and areas.
Change View - Change View crashes if you change view over a very large distance or if you change very close to the edge of the map. Split it in to several triggers, each trigger changes view over a smaller distance
Play Sound - This effect is implemented in to Send Chat and Display instructions as well. I have no (or very little) experience with this effect. But it's is something with that sound file can not be more than 128 kbps or something like that.

If nothing of the above helped, you should read this:

Random Crashes in the editor

Sometimes you might find a so callad "issued tile". It will crash instantly if you try to paint terrain over it. Use map-copy over it to remove this. It should work fine afterwards.

If you place GAIA units and then go to triggers tab and change or add a trigger that changes a specific object. Then you'll see that the "Go to Object" button isn't working. To solve this, go to Units tab, choose a player manually. If you press the hotkeys (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 0) the game might crash!

When you map-copy areas, make sure you do not map-copy objects so that they get placed outside the edge of the map. This will cause the game to crash instantly.

Random Crashes when testing

If you have flowers or other objects laying over the edge, the map can be very instable and sometimes crash. Move the objects so that they don't go over the edge and it should be fine.

Ice and shallows at the edge of the map can also crash the game. Remove it and it should be fine.

A huge elevation variety on the edge of the map can be instable and cause the game to crash sometimes. Try to have as little elevation changes as possible near the edge and it should be fine.

Ice tiles in the middle of the map (not on the edge) can crash the game. I've only experienced single ice-tiles that crashes. It works fine when I replace the ice with another terrain, but as soon as I try to put back the ice, the game crashes. The crash occurs when just after "Saving Scenario" screen disappears when you test the scenario in the editor.

Map-copied objects on water can also be instable. I've experienced several crashes when I have map-copied old stoneheads on water and then tested. It usually work fine if I map-copy normal water on it and re-do it.

Every time you test your map, the map will be autosaved as Default0, open this file and save under a different name to get the file back if you forgot to save before.

And remember to save often and make back-up files in case you lose your file or it gets corrupted.

If this didn't help you, try Lord_Fadawas Game Crash Troubleshooting and the Scenario Design FAQ questions 122-132 in the section "Help it’s all gone wrong"

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 08-01-2011 @ 07:31 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-25-11 10:19 AM CT (US)     1 / 22  
Now, I'm having HUGE crashing problems on my map.

I've tried everything I wrote in my OP, but nothing works. First I removed ice from edge, and it worked. Then I had another crash, so I removed flowers from edge, and it worked. Then Dtrungle told me that the gate-ends could be messed up, so I replaced those and it worked again. Now the map crashes when I have changed a players AI and test. Also the map crashes when I try to exit from a test.

It's so annoying, feels like anything I do crashes the map! Could anyone help me with this? It's getting frustrating. A map that I've put down hours and hours of work on and just crash all the time.

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 04-25-2011 @ 10:20 AM).]

posted 04-25-11 10:42 AM CT (US)     2 / 22  
Im not sure how to help Basse but one thing I've noticed is that Age just seems to crash a lot, probably cause its an old game.

My age crashes just for loading a game straight after being defeated, and freezes when opening any map quite often, small as it may be, sometimes it even freezes the whole computer just starting. Very annoying. It might be because i run windows 7.

Anyway, sorry that i cant help... hope you figure it out.

aok_lover

Check out my Single Player Campaign in Progress:
Age of Caesar | Thread.
posted 04-25-11 12:15 PM CT (US)     3 / 22  
Is this the same map as the one you were talking about earlier that was 75x75? My only guess is that the map itself is unstable, since it isn't a standard size. I'm not sure why that map wouldn't work while a 25x25 map would work instead though. It's odd.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-25-11 12:29 PM CT (US)     4 / 22  
No, this is on a 240x240 map. I managed to fix the freezing and crashing on the 75x75 map
posted 04-25-11 04:22 PM CT (US)     5 / 22  
I'm on windows 7 as well and sometimes, aok would just flat out freeze my laptop and I would have to force a shutdown. It's very annoying indeed but there's not much that can be done. The freezing usually occurs when I'm loading into something.

About the map, I remember reading that trees themselves can be glitched and causes crashes. Something along those lines.

Also, if you use aokts at all, aokts could glitch up and save something wrong or in an unstable manner, which would screw your file up completely. Seems plausible.

~
[My Dropped RPG Project | Keltos - RPG] [My Finished Games | MGC09 - Where Am I + MGC11 - All For The Horse + Puzzle Racing] [My Current Project | Defense of The Towers]
~~~
A RPG Scenario You Should Play | Tsubasa's Tale | Another RPG Scenario You Should Play | IceQuest
posted 04-26-11 10:53 AM CT (US)     6 / 22  
It's not freezing now, it's crashing. I'm not going to remove/replace thousands of trees just to stable the scenario. Also, I did use TS, but only to place an object (this was long before the crashings!) and to make some triggers.
posted 08-01-11 07:31 AM CT (US)     7 / 22  
Update: Added a new thing in the "Random Crashes when testing" section, Ice tiles in the middle of the map!

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 08-01-2011 @ 07:32 AM).]

posted 08-11-11 10:17 AM CT (US)     8 / 22  
My scenario crashes when you press on "Yes" to "Are you sure you want to quit the game?" after you press Quit Game when testing in the editor. Anyone know how to fix this or if it even is fixable?
posted 08-11-11 03:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 22  
My scenario crashes when you press on "Yes" to "Are you sure you want to quit the game?" after you press Quit Game when testing in the editor. Anyone know how to fix this or if it even is fixable?
That happens sometimes with my scenario as well. I figured it was because I was using an edited .dat file that I modified with AGE.
Are you working with any modded data?
posted 08-11-11 04:24 PM CT (US)     10 / 22  
Another good way to make a scenario crash, which I couldn't find in the TP, is to use a lot of everlasting farms, i.e. looping patrol effects.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-11-11 05:18 PM CT (US)     11 / 22  
@Fenix: I did use an edited .dat at first, but I skipped that for a long time ago. So that can't be the problem

@Lord Basse: More than 300 farms would indeed crash the scenario. I use the Freeze trigger for Farms though, as I find it easier to use. Maybe I should add patrol too to the OP.
posted 08-11-11 07:01 PM CT (US)     12 / 22  
In my experience, having something like 30-40 looping farms will crash the game occasionally when you load it, or try to quit the game. So it's a passive crashing source... kind of.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-12-11 05:19 AM CT (US)     13 / 22  
I'll try to turn off that looping infinite farm trigger then and see how it goes
posted 08-14-11 01:14 PM CT (US)     14 / 22  
okay, so... I have had crashes involving task and remove triggers. but otherwise, I've never had a crash in AoK. I think that besides the colors, having explorer running in the background also Fs with the game. As whenever I am simply testing triggers and not doing any terrain mixing (i don't bother quitting explorer) it crashes more, and when i test it without explorer, it runs. fine. I haven't looked into this, but i think it counts for some of the problems. i think that the color fix download doesn't actually end the explorer process, and so it can still mess with the game besides color.also, some batch files used to exit explorer and start AoK will restart explorer before you exit the game, and this messes with the game.

all in all, take the long way through task manager to end the "explorer.exe" task, AND LEAVE TASK MANAGER OPEN so you can start explorer back up when you quit AoK. then run AoK through the "run" feature on the task manager. (if it won't work, try copying the location of the game file, and then paste that into the run command. it will open the file window and you can open the game from there.)

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 12-05-11 03:58 AM CT (US)     15 / 22  
Had a problem with my map, and I remembered this thread.

It came in useful. Thanks!
posted 12-05-11 11:18 AM CT (US)     16 / 22  
No problem

My crashing map stopped crashing after installing UserPatch 1.1. So if nothing works, try to install it and see if there's any difference
posted 12-05-11 11:51 AM CT (US)     17 / 22  
Hey what's going on with the UserPatch? What file does it affect? Any good? The good stuff.

~
[My Dropped RPG Project | Keltos - RPG] [My Finished Games | MGC09 - Where Am I + MGC11 - All For The Horse + Puzzle Racing] [My Current Project | Defense of The Towers]
~~~
A RPG Scenario You Should Play | Tsubasa's Tale | Another RPG Scenario You Should Play | IceQuest
posted 12-05-11 12:16 PM CT (US)     18 / 22  
The 1.0c enhanced version is great. Adds all terrains in editor

I don't really care for the others
posted 12-05-11 01:51 PM CT (US)     19 / 22  
The 1.0c enhanced version is great. Adds all terrains in editor
Come again?! Thats brilliant!
posted 12-05-11 02:41 PM CT (US)     20 / 22  
I kept getting crashes on a map im making and went through all 600 triggers and couldn't find any problems. It took me a while to find it but what happened was when i edited a change hp effect from 6 to 8 it messed with something and became unstable. All i had to do was delete the effect and make a new one. This saved me a ton of time and a previous stable version of my map had only 400 triggers. Hope this helps you fix yours and thanks for posting this topic it saves me many future crashes
posted 12-05-11 03:22 PM CT (US)     21 / 22  
So you mean it allows you to place the varied farm terrains as well as the bunch of water types (walkable, shoreless etc) and beach? And this would not cause problems online?

~
~~~
posted 12-05-11 03:26 PM CT (US)     22 / 22  
@Dtrungle: Exaclty, as long as you stay out of Vooblym it will work great
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Scenario Crashes - How to find and fix it
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames