Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Farmertron v1.1 is a cock up - lol
posted 12-21-00 06:37 PM CT (US)   
The new version of farmertron that I entered into Bingmann's AI league has some serious flaws, and I'll be suprised if it gets anywhere with all the updated competition. That'll teach me to spend only one night updating it for a new tournament. I've spent the last few days seriously upgrading it.

The 1v1 I knew was screwed, it was only thrown in as an experiment, it still thinks it is the shot in a 2v2 game and makes only 50 villagers and researches cartography! This sets it back no end, with a slower castle time and less resources. It rarely makes the 75 champions it needs to make use of the low villager count.

The 2v2 is better than the AI Wars version, but I made a mistake that is going to cost me as so many of the AI scripts in Bingmann's league make use of Aztecs and Mayans. I'd programmed in a simple rush response routine which works very effectively, by starting the attack as soon as it finds units in it's base it will pump out infantry until the opposition has left and then it carries on as normal. This works great, but I put 'knight-line' as a response check instead of 'eagle-warrior-line'. This means that it doesn't respond to eagle warrior rushes with the perfect counter - infantry!

In tests against coteti's Torisan, v1.1 fails miserably with that flaw. Change the statement from knight-line to eagle-warrior-line and it wins consistently - in fact it hasn't lost a single test game since the change.

You can download farmertronv1.1 here, but v1.2 or whatever should be out before the next tournament phase and it will be a lot better. So far I've updated it to deal reasonably effectively with Nasarasu's monk defence as well as working on a new style of attack that works better than 'attack-now'.

Any feedback on farmertron would always be welcomed, and you can email me at farmer@achtung.co.uk if you find it doing anything stupid, which it is guaranteed to do at some point as it's only a dumb AI script .

Gx_Farmer
Generation X
Moderator of Strategy & Tactics at Planet Age of Empires
Member of MFO News Team
Replies:
posted 12-21-00 09:56 PM CT (US)     1 / 5  
I don't care what flaws your AI has! It has the coolest name ever!!! I don't know about you, but I'm rooting for FARMERTRON!
posted 12-22-00 01:50 AM CT (US)     2 / 5  
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Farmer_Barleymow (edited 12-22-2000).]

posted 12-22-00 05:31 AM CT (US)     3 / 5  
lol - the joys of a little oversight when programming

Phoenix_ER - proud member of the Phoenix Clan
posted 12-22-00 08:14 PM CT (US)     4 / 5  
In the Ai wars tournament, i am rooting for farmetron too!

It has indeed the coolest name of all surviving AIs...

my favorite name for all AIs though was "Hector's Challenge"... too bad itlost in the first game...

And i thought Bing-AI and Slak-bot would be the big bosses... both died on round#1...

posted 12-22-00 09:08 PM CT (US)     5 / 5  
How do you delete posts? I can't seem to find the option.

Gx_Farmer
Generation X
Moderator of Strategy & Tactics at Planet Age of Empires
Member of MFO News Team

[This message has been edited by Farmer_Barleymow (edited 12-23-2000).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Farmertron v1.1 is a cock up - lol
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames