Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Alexander
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03-29-06 00:27 AM CT (US)   
I've started working on a mod called Age of Alexander, and I was wondering what you guys think. The forums are here. Here's some info:

This modpack focuses on the time of Alexander, from roughly 500 B.C. to 270 B.C. It will include the main civilizations of Alexander's story, but I will be adding the Roman Republic, which was at war with Carthage around 300 B.C. ALong with Rome, the barbarians will be added, but to a limited extent. Basically, it will cover Alexander and early Rome. It will include many new graphics, but also a mandatory data file that will change the tech trees and units in the game and an optional languarge.dll file. It will not really have unique units, but unique tech trees rather. It will be based on historical fact, and I will get as accurate names as possible for the units. For example, the companion cavalry were actually called the Hetairoi. Also, there will be the Greeks before Alexander, but the late ones. Here is the current civ list. Many details will be explained afterward.

East Europe: Civilized Europe
-Vikings= Senatus Populusque Quiritium Romanus (Rome)
-Teutons= Sparta
-Huns= Macedon
-Goths= Carthage

Mesoamerica: Greek city-states
-Aztecs= Thebes
-Mayans= Athens

West Asia (Arabic): West Asia
-Persians= Achaemenid Persians
-Saracens= Phrygia
-Turks= India
-Byzantines= Egypt

East Aisa and West Europe: Barbarian Tribes
-Koreans= Misc. Civilizations
-Mongols= Suebi
-Japanese= Trinovantes
-Chinese= Thrace
-Britons= Illyrians
-Franks= Helvetii
-Celts= Sarmatians
-Spanish= Aedui

Q:What about the Carthaginians and their elephants?
A:What I'm going to do is make the war elephant not a unique unit, and offer it as an expensive cavalry unit to the Indians, Numidians, Persians, and Carthage.

Q:The Macedonians didn't have anything like tarkans!
A:However, I'll be changing units' stats completely.

Q:Huh? The Catuvellauni get turtle ships? The Catuvellauni are a British tribe.
A:They won't be getting a unique ship. Instead, the Saxons will get the Longboat and the Romans will get the Turtle Ship. It will be a Decere, a huge, powerful warship.

Q:Will Rome be getting legionaries?
A:Nope. The republic didn't get any till Marius, about 1.5 hundred years later than the end of the mod (270 B.C.)

Q:Huh? Unique tech trees?
A:Yep. Instead of just spearman-pikeman-halberdier, there will be spearman-sarissaphoroi-phalangite (Macedon) or spearman-auxilia (SPQR) or spearman-hoplite (Greek cities).

Q:Why is Sparta in a different group than Athens and Thebes?
A:The eagle warrior will be the standard armored hoplite for Thebes and Athens, while Thebes also gets its Sacred Band and Athens gets its pansy archers. However, Sparta doesn't get armored hoplites, but gets SPARTAN HOPLITES!

Q:I have no idea what the *@#$ any of these barbarians are.
A:It will be explained in the new history section.

Q:Will the mod have new languages for the civs?
A:I hope so. I really want to hear a fat @$$ army of Spartans yelling "Yes, Strategos!"

Q:I want to ask a question.
A: Post it in the thread. I will edit the topic as needed.

Q:I play Rome: Total War, and I wan't to know what's with the auxilia and no triarii?
A:Well, Rome: Total War isn't the most historically accurate of all games, but auxiliaries were the poorest of the Republican army. Like velites, for example. Sears were cheaper than swords, so auxiliaries used them. A triarius will be the Roman unique unit.

A Roman hastatus, or swordsman.

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 06-28-2006 @ 07:12 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-29-06 05:03 AM CT (US)     1 / 88  
posted 03-29-06 05:33 PM CT (US)     2 / 88  
This sound great, but the unit angles are of, they should be isometric.

Only the good guys win...
Not because they nice but because they get to write it down in the books.

In other news check out this my first sig add...
Its to good old uh, halo the conquerers forums, if you like halo, and you like AoK then go on down!!

posted 03-29-06 05:36 PM CT (US)     3 / 88  
Well the footsoldiers look fine, and he's not gonna go wrong with angles if he's using the AOK horse, is he?
posted 03-29-06 05:46 PM CT (US)     4 / 88  
huh? oh so it is... Its kinda hard to tell from the direction of the horse.

Its to good old uh, halo the conquerers forums, if you like halo, and you like AoK then go on down!!

posted 03-29-06 06:52 PM CT (US)     5 / 88  
In the Roman tech tree, instead of the upgraded spearman being an Auxila you should make him a Triarius. Triarii were Rome's veteran spearmen in the pre-Marian days. Auxila were post-Marian.
posted 03-29-06 08:46 PM CT (US)     6 / 88  
Hehe. Triarii. Don't think I know that? Well get to know me better. I am probably one of the biggest military history nerds you've talked to. Triarii are the Roman unique unit, the best of the best. And you're probably thinking of Rome Total War. Well let me tell you that that game is not incredibly historically accurate. Spears were cheaper than swords, so auxiliaries (the poor Republican soldiers) used them. This is shown in the use of velites. Eventually, the Post-Marian army used barbarian auxiliaries, as well. And I won't just be using the AOK horse. I just got kinda lazy when I was doing the prototype cavalry. Also, the armor is gonna be given more shades and tones.

EDIT: Triarii question added to topic.

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 03-29-2006 @ 08:49 PM).]

posted 03-29-06 11:29 PM CT (US)     7 / 88  
Good luck with this.

me
posted 03-30-06 00:00 AM CT (US)     8 / 88  
AoE1 has many units related to your mod. Make use of them.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”
posted 03-30-06 06:55 AM CT (US)     9 / 88  
I'm not going by Rome: Total War. I know how historically innacurate that game was. However I was under the impression that of the 5 lines of the pre-Marian legion (only 3 lines survived to Marian times, as 2 of the lines were incorporated into the velites and after that the velites were incorporated into the hastati and princepes) only the triarii and 2 of the lines that became the velites (I forget the name at the moment) used spears. Velites themselves used javelins, and the hastati and princepes for the most part used swords (because they could afford them and swords were lighter and more versatile). I never heard of pre-Marian legions using auxilieries per se, however many of their armies included maniples of their Latin allies. Knowing what we know about warfare in ancient Italy (as a product of the introduction of the Greek phalanx), they would probably have used spears for the most part.

EDIT: The two lines that became the velites were the rorarii and the accensi.

[This message has been edited by UnsungHero (edited 03-30-2006 @ 05:42 PM).]

posted 03-30-06 08:22 PM CT (US)     10 / 88  
good luck with this. looks cool

Sig wanted
posted 03-30-06 08:58 PM CT (US)     11 / 88  
Basically, I am saying the velites were auxiliaries. Whatever. I don't really care that much about it. Instead, should I put the Latin hoplite? The mod basically stops at 270 B.C., so even the Republic was not fully developed.

EDIT: Hastatus added to the topic. And AOE has some pretty wierd graphics. The legion has a tiny, circular shield and a cape, and looks nothing like a Roman soldier, or anything in fact. The phalanx is okay for a hoplite, but I don't really like it. I do like the elephants, though. I'll probably end up using it, but editing it. The chariots are good, also.

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 03-30-2006 @ 09:43 PM).]

posted 03-31-06 05:49 AM CT (US)     12 / 88  
Now, let's just say I waned to work on something pertaining to... say, Judaea. Which of these would these would be the closest:

- geographically?
- technologically?
- historically?
- and lingually?

FYI, the Sarmatians had cavalrywomen, so they could be the Sarmatian UU.

A history of the Sarmatians: http://www.silk-road.com/artl/sarmatian.shtml
The Kontos, a weapon used by Sarmatian cavalry:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontos
Sarmatian history from Wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians

Also, I VIE for sound conversions, too (if at all humanely possible). I don't like hearing Scandinavian from a Roman civilisation.

posted 03-31-06 10:10 AM CT (US)     13 / 88  
Well, there were tons of barbarian tribes I wanted to add, but I had to deal with it. The Sarmatians did have superb cavalry, and the Romans consistently used mercenary Sarmatian cavalry. But I had to do that, since there were only 8 civs. I'm going to change the Woad Raider's stats a ton to get a cavalry unit. The Trinoivantes will get Woad Warriors. And this time, they'll actually be blue.

I could have also added Judaea, but again, civ numbers formed a restrictive barrier to the historical accuracy of the game.

Blah!
posted 04-05-06 09:07 PM CT (US)     14 / 88  
Should I put in a new music score?

Blah!
posted 04-05-06 11:48 PM CT (US)     15 / 88  
I dont know if that is even humanely possible.

And, what I mean is, of all the civs you have labeled, which one wouls be closest to Judaea geographically (by location), technologically (by what technologies they had), historically (by their history, growth, expansion, collapse, etc), and lingually (by a language cloase to Judaean language: Aramaic and Hebrew).

posted 04-06-06 00:39 AM CT (US)     16 / 88  
I'm not putting in Judaea.

Blah!
posted 04-06-06 03:59 AM CT (US)     17 / 88  
Very cool attempt to a ModPack, but I'm now working on the hugest project ever.
It is called:
Age of Imperialism
With amazing graphics!
Scenario_TC does also know it.

@Scenario_TC:
I don't want to irritate you, but I want to tell the follwing to you:
> The hugest project ever called Age of Imperialism has started, after I finally found back the game manual with the registration code. (how embarassing)
> I was amazed, when I extracted all images from the anlagen.dat. First, I used the one of the demo before.
> Some graphics can directly added to the game such as the lumbercamp, stone/gold mining camps, the mill, a barracks like building, a castle, the houses, and many things of the nature.
> I have luck, because (as you know already) every building has it's own sounds (In AoK Format!!), and icons!
> I only don't know, if I shall add the other civs like the eskimo's, pirates, venetians, etc.
> Also, I have to translate all buil;ding descriptions to English!
> And I have to convert all images
> All images together from the anlagen.dat: over 40.000 images, size +/-700MB

I found out more about the so called figuren.dat:
The first file is called something like "figurenheader.dat".
This is a very important file! it contains all palette's, and other image information.
The other parts that follow contains all the unit graphics, but as i have told, all their image info is stored in that figurenheader file!
I'm also member of a anno1602 fansite. I will ask there, I they know more about it!

posted 04-07-06 09:49 AM CT (US)     18 / 88  
Wow, that sounds cool. Can you tell me where I can get anlagen.dat? And how to extract the images?

Blah!
posted 04-07-06 11:15 AM CT (US)     19 / 88  
Carthage was located in Northern Africa, not in Europe. They have invaded it, though, and conquered the Iberian Peninsula and Northern Italy.

Carthage was not supposed to be as powerful as it was. It was founded by the Fenicians (sp?) as a merchant colony. But it grew up to huge proportions...

As for the barbarian tribes, the only one I know from your list are the Helvetii. Helvetia is nowadays known as Switzerland.

posted 04-07-06 12:11 PM CT (US)     20 / 88  

Quote:

It was founded by the Fenicians (sp?) as a merchant colony. But it grew up to huge proportions...

Phoeincians. Anyway, they did settle in North Africa and called it "New Tyre" (Tyre was there capital iirc), but then New Tyre wanted independence and became Carthage.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 04-08-06 03:27 AM CT (US)     21 / 88  
*sigh*

never mind spartan.

it sounds great.

what bout the mesoamerican priests? What'll you do with them and the greek-city states?

posted 04-08-06 06:59 AM CT (US)     22 / 88  
To get the Anlagen.dat, you must buy the game Anno1503, or download for free it's demo.
On a website named Annopool, you can get the tool in the utility's section of the downloads.
There are +/- 5 download pages, so you have to search a little wile.

Before you going to make MOD's to for this file, tell it to me.

EDIT:
Note: In the full game, you have a venetian civ...

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-08-2006 @ 07:00 AM).]

posted 04-08-06 10:57 AM CT (US)     23 / 88  
Ancient Warrior, please don't brag about your mod in other people's threads...

me
posted 04-10-06 06:13 AM CT (US)     24 / 88  
@ Mega Idiot:
First read some replies that were posted BEFORE MINE REPLY, then, you will know why I said that.
Do YOU think that I think that it is FUNNY to talk about the SOURCE of my Mod, where somebody ASKED to me to give it?!

I recomend you to READ before REPLYING!

---
Quoted from Spartan2:
Wow, that sounds cool. Can you tell me where I can get anlagen.dat? And how to extract the images?
End quote.

[This message has been edited by Ancient Warrior (edited 04-10-2006 @ 06:15 AM).]

posted 04-10-06 11:35 AM CT (US)     25 / 88  
@AW

Next time, use a proper quote code, like this:

Quote:

text

You may click here to learn how to quote properly.

Member of Tsunami Studios
Scenario T.C.: “Yes, the traitors can’t be terminated.”
Richard Ames: “Scenario_t_c should take care of them in a succinct but humorous fashion.”
Don Jorge de Leon: “Ave Trisolo! Vive Trisolo!”

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 04-10-2006 @ 11:35 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 00:37 AM CT (US)     26 / 88  
About Carthage, I know that it wasn't Europe. It's architecture was, though. It had a Senate very similar to Rome's. By the way, it's "Phoenicians". The term Punic comes from the Latin word for Carthaginian- Poeni, which refers to its founders- Phoenicia. If you play Rome: Total War, there are "Poeni Infantry" and that means Carthaginian infantry. Also, Sicily is divided into three regions, one being Sicilia Romanus: Roman Sicily, Sicilia Graecus: Greek Sicily, and Sicilia Poeni: Punic, or Carthaginian, Sicily.

@Cesar: The Helvetii were a huge nomadic tribe, with hundreds of thousands of warriors and more civilians. THey left a huge wake of destruction on their continuous path of migration. Julius Caesar eventually defeated them, ending their reign of terror over the smaller tribes.

@Tarkan: The Mesoamerican priests, I hadn't thought of. I might just make them regular priests, like the others.

@Ancient Warrior: Thanks for the info.

Blah!
posted 04-11-06 07:02 AM CT (US)     27 / 88  
@ Spartan 2:
Isn't it usefull to use some slp's from age of empires 1?!
posted 04-11-06 01:12 PM CT (US)     28 / 88  
I've pretty much answered this in post #11 in the EDIT part.

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 04-11-2006 @ 01:12 PM).]

posted 04-18-06 08:20 PM CT (US)     29 / 88  
Do you guys think I should add new ambient (background) music?

Blah!
posted 04-18-06 09:03 PM CT (US)     30 / 88  
Will the Spartan Hoplites cost alot of food to help show the spartans entirely slave labor dependent agriculture?

posted 04-19-06 00:31 AM CT (US)     31 / 88  
Well, hopefully, I'll give Spartans a special unit called helots, and they're basically villagers. However, villagers are replaced. For every Spartan unit (as in infantry) three helots are available to build. However, archers, peltasts, cavalry, and other units that real Spartiates would be do not allow helots to be built. Spartan hoplites cost more expensive than most other units, but not very much. However, they are rather slow, and take a while to create. They are not necessarily weak against archers, but a good contingent of archers can beat poorly used Spartans with no counters. This is a huge advantage for Athens, but I don't like Athens, so Sparta will be much better because of my biases. Archers will be available to the Spartans late in the game, along with many other units, such as cavalry. They have superior starting infantry, however.

Blah!
posted 04-19-06 02:21 PM CT (US)     32 / 88  
Speaking of Athens... Will they have good navel bonuses to help represent their big navy after that one war?...

posted 04-19-06 08:16 PM CT (US)     33 / 88  
Best of luck to you man. Nice to see the AOK modding community is not giving up. Cheers!
posted 04-19-06 10:59 PM CT (US)     34 / 88  
Yes, Athens' navy will be powerful in the beginning, but eventually, everything will even out. Also, the Athenian ships will be built faster.

And thanks, HistoryGuy.

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 04-19-2006 @ 10:59 PM).]

posted 04-20-06 02:11 PM CT (US)     35 / 88  
I got a few more questions...

Will the Sarmatians have woman horse riders as a unique unit? And if so what are they going to be Hussar like?

Also will Thrace have falxmen? I love that weapion.

Will Macadon have compaion calvery? If so will they be the best calvery in the game?

How would one play a civ like the Numidians, are they going to be ranged orianted?

What was egypt like just prior to Alexanders conquest?

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Age of Alexander
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames