You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Post your Map Screenshots here. I will do my best to comment and advise them.
posted 06-20-02 05:30 PM CT (US)   
Welcome !!

In this thread, you can post the screenshots of your map design. It doesn't matter whether it's an eye-candy trick or not. I will comment them, whether I like it or not, and lastly I will give you some advice to improve them, if they don't look perfect.

But do not misunderstand, I don't mean to insult your map-designing skills in any way. I'm just offering comments and advice for them. If you hate and dislike my comments, then feel free to ignore them.

If you feel you want to flame or insult this service of mine, do as you wish. I'll accept them whole-heartedly.

For you Moderators, you can freely mark this thread an OT. I won't argue !

-Andan

Andanu Trisatya Kelan, probably the one and only forumer from Indonesia.
Member of Empire Creations Studios, it's a small team right now, but someday it'll prosper!
Currently working on - 'Zegrelandia - The Land Of Fate'
E-mail adress : Garuda_Indo@hotmail.com
I was born in the 8th date, the 8th month, and the 1988th year. Perhaps it's my lucky number?
Would you please get out of here? PLEASEEEE....

[This message has been edited by Indonesian_Militia (edited 06-21-2002 @ 03:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-20-02 05:32 PM CT (US)     1 / 34  
Show us your own maps before you comment on others'.

You want fries with that?
posted 06-20-02 05:42 PM CT (US)     2 / 34  
why? If he wants to judge maps. That is his call right? Some people are better in judging maps then Making them. So please don't start yelling to people like that Kestrel.

Download the Trigger Trick guide v2.0 ID 344
Creator of the Return of the Mummy series id 715 :: Zelda sneak preview ::
Newest project: The World of Zelda
posted 06-20-02 06:36 PM CT (US)     3 / 34  
Yeah, that's right, Editorbuilder.

Member of Empire Creations Studios, it's a small team right now, but someday it'll prosper!
I was born in the 8th date, the 8th month, and the 1988th year. Perhaps it's my lucky number?

[This message has been edited by Indonesian_Militia (edited 06-20-2002 @ 06:37 PM).]

posted 06-20-02 07:12 PM CT (US)     4 / 34  
<EDIT>Went twince, See below.</EDIT>

Da Man is BACK!!!
I have my own little world, they know me there
Its not that im Anti-Social... i just dont like YOU!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by who_da_man12 (edited 06-20-2002 @ 07:14 PM).]

posted 06-20-02 07:13 PM CT (US)     5 / 34  
The Editorbuilder, please do not judge people too harshly, Kestrel was only stating something that he would like to see, he was not yelling or being offensive in any manner.

Kestrel, IndonesianMilitia is offering a service to people, he is not trying to flame or deprive you of your work. He has only agreed to give comments on what he sees,likes, and maybe thinks should be improved in your work.

IndonesianMilitia Thank you for posting this here! I would love to get my screenshots commented on, and in fact you are very good at it(id know right?lol). I hope you get alot of people here to get their work reviewed. GOOD LUCK MAN!

Sincerely,
Who_da_man12

Da Man is BACK!!!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!
posted 06-20-02 08:53 PM CT (US)     6 / 34  
*changes the subject*

I think these here are "eye candies", (or I just say map tricks), that I thought up, and I haven't seen them done elsewhere:

A marsh using map copied water and bamboo for weeds...

a single grave with dirt used to really signify a burial...

A goat path ... actually I didn't invent this, but I never saw it done, I just had to try it for myself...

Berries?... good ol jungle trees, haven't seen these ones used before...

There. Now we're on topic again...

Can anybody think of other ways to do something similar? I'm curious as to other people's map tricks...

posted 06-21-02 06:33 AM CT (US)     7 / 34  
I'll have a look of those screenies before anyone else does.

a marsh: ah,having a look at crahes work is a real treat to the eyes,the marsh is great,i think what's best is there's no annoying shorelines.

a single grave:looks single all right,er i mean,you sould perhaps put leaves around the grave,add a two or three dead oak trees or gaia trees,finally a few forage bushes would also make it look good.

a goat path:wow,an original,really looks good,especially since it's narrow.

berries?:hmmm...i remember you thanking elfy for inspiration for this idea,i'd say it looks good,rather creepy bushes.

Tsunami's most notorious designer
posted 06-21-02 06:51 AM CT (US)     8 / 34  
mwuha: i better not make it an img tag

click here (for naked women, j/k)

.: _Yhagoro_ :.
| Woad Creations | Forums |

Don't talk to me, talk if you have a point, if you don't, use notepad. - Shiva.
Yes sire, I'm going to have some hard, filthy, dirty, perverted, hot, romantic...monopoly-playing tonight. - AntiChrist.
"You know, that's the problem, I don't know her. I'll just look at her from a distance, and if she's ugly, I'll just say I forgot our date." - Global Chimp.

posted 06-21-02 07:06 AM CT (US)     9 / 34  
Wow,not bad,are you a new designer.that was some pretty impressive map designing.

posted 06-21-02 07:10 AM CT (US)     10 / 34  
sig

Yes sire, I'm going to have some hard, filthy, dirty, perverted, hot, romantic...monopoly-playing tonight. - AntiChrist.
"You know, that's the problem, I don't know her. I'll just look at her from a distance, and if she's ugly, I'll just say I forgot our date." - Global Chimp.

posted 06-21-02 08:25 AM CT (US)     11 / 34  
Some other screens:

Cliff.jpg
[JPEG, (413.52 KB)]

Town1.jpg
[JPEG, (401.99 KB)]

Forest.jpg
[JPEG, (443.48 KB)]

Town2.jpg
[JPEG, (443.89 KB)]

Blacksmith.jpg
[JPEG, (406.89 KB)]

Town3.jpg
[JPEG, (411.61 KB)]

Town4.jpg
[JPEG, (497.27 KB)]

posted 06-21-02 03:10 PM CT (US)     12 / 34  
For Who Da Man,
I should be the one to say thanks !! Thank you for your support !! If you ever need someone to comment and advise your screenshots again, feel free to post them here ! Be my guest !

For Cknchaos,
Thanks for the assistance !!

For Yhagoro,
You're a new designer ? But those map designs of yours are truly great !!

-Cliff
It's almost perfect, but it would be better if you add some Rocks.

-Town1
Another great map design. But you're only using Oak Forest Trees. Replace some of them with Pine Forest Trees or add more. You could also use some Flowerbeds, not just Flowers. Lastly, add some Dirt (either one of the three) to create a path between the village and the farmland. Also, you're using the Gray color for the village, that makes it more realistic !! Good job !

-Forest
Excellent. Like before, you should add some Pine Forest Trees instead of only using Oak Forest Trees. Create some more Gaia Trees. Add more Flowerbeds, too.

-Town2
It's great, like the first one. The town is surrounded by trees, that makes it a forest town. But I think you should add some torches.

-Blacksmith
Great design. However, a blacksmith-er needs stones to forge and make weapons, right ? I think you should create a few Stone mines or Rocks near the blacksmith. Also add a torch or two.

-Town3
In my opinion, you should have named it "Castle", not "Town".
Create some Flowerbeds beside the castle. It would looks more beautiful, and also some Gaia Trees. The "Tree A" would be great if you put them neatly beside the castle. Put them anywhere around the town, too. Add some torches beside the buildings.

-Town4
Again, you need some Pine Forest Trees... Also, create a lone Bridge beside the Dock. That represents a pier. But it's up to you, though. Add some torches near the buildings, and if it's meant to be a Beach, then add some Sand (Desert).

[This message has been edited by Indonesian_Militia (edited 06-21-2002 @ 03:12 PM).]

posted 06-21-02 03:27 PM CT (US)     13 / 34  
IndonesianMilitiaThanks you, i will surely post my stuff here....jut gotta get the time to take the screenies...maybe ill do it today.

Da Man is BACK!!!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!
posted 06-21-02 03:32 PM CT (US)     14 / 34  
Be my guest !

-Andan

posted 06-21-02 04:17 PM CT (US)     15 / 34  

Quote:

It's almost perfect, but it would be better if you add some Rocks.

oops, i knew i forgot something ty

Quote:

But you're only using Oak Forest Trees. Replace some of them with Pine Forest Trees or add more.

naah, i'll just use oak...i'll add pine trees in the north of the map...

Quote:

Great design. However, a blacksmith-er needs stones to forge and make weapons, right ? I think you should create a few Stone mines or Rocks near the blacksmith. Also add a torch or two.

naah, it get's its stuff from trading i just made it there becouse of an objective.

Quote:

In my opinion, you should have named it "Castle", not "Town".
Create some Flowerbeds beside the castle. It would looks more beautiful, and also some Gaia Trees. The "Tree A" would be great if you put them neatly beside the castle. Put them anywhere around the town, too. Add some torches beside the buildings.

actually, it is a town, just the part with the castle but it's not really a 'palace' castle, it's more of a military castle, with the stable and stuff, so no beauty things

i do have another city (not on the screens) that is 'beautiful' using sorta like gardens and the tree A

about the torches, i'll add some (and some flags too)

posted 06-21-02 05:32 PM CT (US)     16 / 34  
Yhagoro, I really like that mapshot, I remember seeing it before... The water bending is awesome! One thing that sticks out is the spring and river above the town with all the farms. It's that pesky shoreline. I think that you could do well to use a bit of shoreless water to make it really look like a spring, and that pesky soreline would be gone. What you could do too, is end the shoreless water under the bridge, so nobody would notice.

Of course, this us up to your judgement.

posted 06-21-02 05:38 PM CT (US)     17 / 34  
[JPEG, (108.10 KB)]

This is a screenshot from The End Lies Beyond Chaos... I hope u like

Is anybody trying to squint at this text? stop... IT'S POINTLESS!
posted 06-21-02 08:01 PM CT (US)     18 / 34  
Please comment.

They're from my current project "Vengeance-A Tale of Two".

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6

posted 06-21-02 10:07 PM CT (US)     19 / 34  
eh,yuri,a dozen people already commented on that screeny at your own topic.

posted 06-22-02 03:26 AM CT (US)     20 / 34  

Quote:

Yhagoro, I really like that mapshot, I remember seeing it before... The water bending is awesome! One thing that sticks out is the spring and river above the town with all the farms. It's that pesky shoreline. I think that you could do well to use a bit of shoreless water to make it really look like a spring, and that pesky soreline would be gone. What you could do too, is end the shoreless water under the bridge, so nobody would notice.

ok i will

posted 06-22-02 05:57 AM CT (US)     21 / 34  
ruins
i need someones opinion.Would you say the above screeny has too much gaia.If so,tell what i should add/remove to make it look better.

posted 06-22-02 10:10 AM CT (US)     22 / 34  
If you're aiming for a mud look, that's good, but it still needs more dirt 1, dirt 2, and desert mised in, as well as some leaves.

You want fries with that?
posted 06-22-02 10:17 AM CT (US)     23 / 34  
Cknchaos, It looks good, but with all the Path 4's you added, that Grass1 around it does not look so good, if you want to give it a "dirty" feel, than put in some mixed dirt (any kinds), or if you would like to clean it up just remove thhe path 4's and maybe add a few flowers...

Thats my opinion.

Sincerely,
Who_da_man12

Da Man is BACK!!!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!
posted 06-22-02 06:50 PM CT (US)     24 / 34  
For Lord Yuri,
Hmmm.... A pillaged farmland.... Well, that's great. The buildings are on fire, that makes it more "destroyed" looking. But in order to make it more realistic, why don't you add some Flowers on the farmland ?

For Darkmaster,
I'll be glad to comment those screenshots... However, I think you should be more detailed, not just Pic 1, Pic 2, etc., so I can know what's in the picture. But it's ok.

-Pic 1
From what I'm guessing, that is a city. A beautiful city, I might add. You should add some Flowerbeds below the Gaia Trees to make it even more beautiful. Add the original Flowers too if you want, but do not put so many of 'em, to avoid making the beautiful city looks so "abandoned".
How'd you get that brown wooden palisade wall ? Is it a Modpack ? That's very nice, making the houses more realistic ! In my opinion, you should make the house into Castle Age houses. Add a torch in front of the houses.

-Pic 2
What a beauty !! I wish I had that park in my home !!
Well... instead of using original trees, why don't you use the prettiest Gaia Trees you like ?
Add more Rocks too, if you want.
Also add some torches and flags.

-Pic 3
Hmm... Early winter.... Great use of snows, but I think you should add more buildings covered with snows on the roof, like that Monastery.

For Cknchaos,
Excellent. To make it more realistic, create a large amount of Flowers and Flowerbeds. You're only using a few Flowers. I agree with The Kestrel and Who Da Man. Add some Leaves and mixed Dirts, not just plain grasses. A few sands would be nice. Also create some Dead Gaia Trees, and if you can, create some Hawks/Macaws flying around the Ruins.

Hope this helps.

-Andan

[This message has been edited by Indonesian_Militia (edited 06-22-2002 @ 06:51 PM).]

posted 06-22-02 08:40 PM CT (US)     25 / 34  
*puts on full Brass armor*
*pulls out sword*

THE BATTLE HAS BEGUN

I took all the screenshots, but am now UPLOADING them, it will take a while.(cant wait to get em reviewed ANDAN)

Sincerely,
Who_da_ma12

Da Man is BACK!!!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!
posted 06-22-02 08:45 PM CT (US)     26 / 34  
Yuri, I haven't seen it yet, and I like it. One thing, though, I feel bugged by all those "bushy" bamboos. rotate some of them to the less thick ones...

Other than that, it's good except I might move the ruins a little out of the way, it might look ackward. (?)

posted 06-23-02 01:00 AM CT (US)     27 / 34  
Descriptions:

Picture 1: This is a small "neighborhood" sort of area. Each house has a yard with a tree, and a small dirt path leading to the main road. It is abandoned, because I just made that part of my map yesterday. I've started working on a large city, and I'm not adding many units yet. The city has two parks, a rural area (yes, in an urban center!), a slum-like area (drunks, bar-fights, etc.), educational area/religious area, military area, trade docks/markets, rich, medium, and poor neighborhoods, situated accordingly, etc.

Picture 2: This is a city park/animal habitat. The deer are indestructible, due to triggers. The palisade walls are from a mod pack. There is a part (a small part shown in screen to the top-right part) where the prettiest trees, IMO, are used. I used varied trees, because this part is more of a natural area. If you see to the top-right part of the picture, you'd see a group of similar trees on a higher elevation (kinda like the Barbarossa campaign).

Picture 3(link error: try the link at end of post): A forest, with enemies. There is gold and forage bushes around (for game purpose only, not for map design).

Picture 4: (part of cutscene)Silos in a small town. A small waterfall is to the right, with a small town to the west. Yeah, I should add more snow-covered buildings.

Picture 5: Another village in early winter. A lot of farming (ending season). Secret passage located here. Gardens made up of jungle trees that look like bushes and large plants.

Picture 6: Waterfall (looks empty, IMO; comment please). It has shorefish to "show" moving water. Sea rocks to show river rocks.

http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/uploaded/Darkmaster/Forest #1.jpg
Replace the space with a "% 20" (remove space between % and 20) and the number sign with a "% 23" (remove the space between % and 23)

[This message has been edited by Darkmaster (edited 06-23-2002 @ 01:11 AM).]

posted 07-03-02 08:22 PM CT (US)     28 / 34  
*ahem*

Since, the deadline for the pretty town contest has been reached, I think It might be fun to see some people's secret candies, or if you're not that brave, just a general screenie from here or there. You never know, There might be another some day, and you might win because Adan advised you...

Well, here's a pic.

"A Different World" opening view...

posted 07-04-02 08:10 PM CT (US)     29 / 34  
Yuri - how did you manage to get the fire coming up in front of the stone mines (the flame on the far left) and through the ruined barracks? That looks like a fantastic burning village - one suggestion, though. Try to keep the white lines that the stone mines create behind the stone walls out of it!

how is this for a quote
posted 07-05-02 06:44 AM CT (US)     30 / 34  
And just where is i_m anyway.how could he let his own thread almost die like this

Nice screeny,crasher.I may post some of my screenies here too.

posted 07-05-02 08:36 AM CT (US)     31 / 34  
@ Ultima Knight

I used a modpack. The modpack combines the Asian Eyecandy mod and the Fire Mod.

Is anybody trying to squint at this text? stop... IT'S POINTLESS!
posted 07-05-02 03:05 PM CT (US)     32 / 34  

Bah. I was hoping there were no mod packs involved.

how is this for a quote
posted 07-05-02 05:49 PM CT (US)     33 / 34  
What the.... I thought this thread has died...

Anyway, Crasher, let me take a look at your screenshot.....

Wow, Crasher, I admit that you're the best designer in "water-blending"!! Look at the water with a bit snow.... it's really nice.

But, before I can comment that, you should add a simple description first.

-Andan

posted 07-05-02 06:03 PM CT (US)     34 / 34  
That's just it, there is no description! It is the opening to my pretty town, and there is no story whatsoever. I quess I coud add this little prologue:

"The voyage came to an abrupt and almost fatal end. You stand on the beach, warily looking about, waiting. You don't know what for, but you can tell that there is something different about this world. You string an arrow and prepare to explore..."

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Post your Map Screenshots here. I will do my best to comment and advise them.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames