You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Review Requests, about Reviewing and Tutorials
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
posted 11-30-02 10:34 AM CT (US)   
If you want a review, drop a line with the name of your file and the Thread Reviewers will take a look. Please be patient as a skilled review takes some time. You can also ask for a review of a download you think should get more attention or because you think a certain download is rated unfair or is even overrated.

If you want to join as a reviewer, you must have at least four posted reviews, post your request in this thread or send a mail to tanneur99@heavengames.com, naming your last review. You do not have to review regularly, but you will be put on inactive after three months until you post a review.

Please read the review tutorials.

Single and Multiplayer http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/reviews/howtoreview.shtml
Please note the different ratings for Balance, for Multiplayer you rate nothing but the starting position; this refers to the respective paragraph in the tutorial and read post 264 of this thread. Another exception are scenarios where fighting was not intended by the author, a 100% cut-scene receives an automatic five for example. Some things are self evident when reviewing. If the scenario is designed for AoK review it playing AoK, if you think it's too easy on standard, play a higher level or vice wersa.

Random Map Script http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/reviews/randomrvw1.shtml

Utility, no official tutorial for some ideas go here http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,29532,,all
A utility is a tool for the designer and has hardly any use for the player; keep this in mind when you rate utilities for USEFULNESS/NOVELTY and QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS. Often you cannot rate the novelty factor; it is another eye candy map of LotR, Volcano, Waterfall, Trigger Guide, Tutorial or collection of battle sounds, in other words not new. Originally the fifth category was creativity; but to close to novelty to have an extra category, best to rate novelty together with creativity if possible and when you feel that novelty does not apply, you can well replace it with creativity. The four categories are of equal importance for the overall rating of a utility.

Mod Packs
A MPS is mainly an item for the player, which has a limited use for designers; keep this in mind when you rate mod pack scripts for USEFULNESS/NOVELTY and QUALITY/INSTRUCTIONS. The main categories are usefulness and quality for the overall rating of a MPS; use novelty and instructions to correct the category rating. Still, for a perfect rating the MPS has to excel in all four categories.

AI-files
The first question to ask is what is the AI intended to do and how well does it perform in that specific area. There are AI-files developed for scenario design, as trainer, for specific maps, for death match, as tournament AI, defensive or aggressive files, for water maps or land maps only. If the AI-file is developed for AoK test it only playing AoK. To rate an AI from your own playing experience against it might be biased unless it cheats. Cheating AI-files, as forbidden for tournaments, are meant to play against human players. A good indication to test a non cheating AI is against the standard AI. If its performance compares to the standard one, it is average and its minimum rating a 3. Rate the AI-file according to its time, many AI-files were developed to beat another specific one, it would be unfair to knock off points of an AI developed in 2000 because it looses against a recent one.

Thread Reviewers (In order of no. of posted reviews):
marked *=official reviewer of HG.

208 Tanneur99*: RMS, Multiplayer, Mod Packs, Single Player, Utilities
-94 Lord_Fadawah: Multiplayer, AI-files, Single Player, Utilities
-37 rwilde: Single Player, Utilities
-24 RF_Gandalf*: RMS
-18 Berserker Jerker*: RMS, AI-files, Single Player
-18 Medieval Warfare: Single Player, Utilities
-14 Stephen Richards: Single Player
--6 Luke_Feanor: Single Player, Utilities
--5 Rangar: Single Player

Currently inactive Thread Reviewers (In order of time of inactivity):
13 Sceletar: Single Player, Utilities
21 AnastasiaKafka*: Single Player, Utilities
04 Chewmen_zak: Single Player, Utilities
11 WildCardDoW: Multiplayer, Mod Packs, Single Player
30 zyxomma100: Multiplayer, Single Player, Utilities
10 kevingamer prime: Multiplayer, Single Player, Utilities
91 BrandNewCar*: Single Player
25 Magnum Zero: RMS, Single Player, Utilities
04 nathbert: Mod Packs, Single Player, Utilities
06 King Joshua III: Single Player
12 DarckRedd: Multiplayer, Single Player

Luke Gevaerts started the review request thread 03/30/2002, some reviewers left or lost interest in the review process since then. The inactive list got long during the last months and took up too much space. I remove reviewers from the inactive list after 12 months of inactivity. We need more reviewers, active reviewers, and I hope that many return to reviewing again.

Find your name above and please post a review to become active again. If your name is not listed inactive anymore, your last review dates before 09/30/04. You can reenter the thread after one posted review only.

Review List
The below list consists of downloads recently rated by thread reviewers. Requests are marked R and will be added at the bottom of each list. Thread reviewers are free to review whatever they want, but should be aware that the designers at the top of each list are waiting the longest for a review. Items that have been reviewed at least once by a thread reviewer will be scrapped from the list after the review has left the "New Reviews" section, unless a second opinion is requested.

Campaigns:
R Lonely Singing Angel v1-0a, by paladin_maker0, No Reviewer
R Reign of Wolves(English Version!), Khan Ivayl; Reviewer: Berserker Jerker
R Reign of Wolves(German Version!), Khan Ivayl; Reviewer: Tanneur99
R The Pirate Outcast: The Campain, by jackdeathwish; Reviewer: Tanneur99
R The assault to the Rochelle, Rat del desierto; Stephen Richards 2.6
Byzantines vs. Huns v 1.00, by Suboai; rwilde 2.2
Teuton in Love, by oliver; rwilde 5.0
Oppenent Vs Siegfried (And marth?) (VERY FUNNY), by The_Follows; rwilde 3.4
RISK - Crusader, by King Bob VI; Rangar 4.4
Myth of Tomorrow - Teaser, by paladin-makr0; Rangar 4.6
The Adventures of Sir Asterix, by Tzekel_Kan; Tanneur99 2.2
R HCC - Athelstan, Emperor of the World of Britain, by Stephen Richards; Reviewer: Luke_Feanor, Tanneur99

Single Player:
R Run, homer, Run 1.0, by terrythewhite; on hold until edited
R Eye Candy City Template, by HeroPatrick; No Reviewer
R LOAM 2, by jackdeathwish; Reviewer: Tanneur99
R The Defence 2 - Black Opening, by Peej; No Reviewer
Naval Warfare - Pisa And Genoa (1284), by pinoyballa; rwilde 1.6
Theoderic the Goth, by Joan of Florida; Tanneur99 3.0
R Siege of Viena, by pepin yeah0; Reviewer: Stephen Richards 3.0
The Partisans, by gaston; rwilde 3.2

Multiplayer:
R Middle Earth Reloaded, by ax_man1; No Reviewer
R World Map_Kings and Empires v 0.1, by Highlander_FFS; No Reviewer
R Wrath of the Gods, by Era Productions; No Reviewer
R Forgotten RPG, by sSc_Cobra007; No reviewer
R Helm's Deep - Control the Monuments, by BIHSting; No Reviewer
R Project K, by Polemistis, No Reviewer
R Battle of Agincourt, by sSc_Cobra007; No Reviewer
R R-A-V-E-N's War game, by ACR4V3N; No Reviewer
R Undead 3 [Massacre], by aka the Pilot; No Reviewer

AI Files:
Ultimate RPG AI, by Jedi Master Bryl; Berserker Jerker 2.0
Projectile Detection, by Jedi Master Bryl; Berserker Jerker 3.0
Taunt Detector, by paul the ewok; Berserker Jerker 3.0

Mod Packs:
R rUiNs oF bLoOd Modpack, by DarckRedd; Reviewer: AnastasiaKafka
R Sacred Entrance, by The X King; No Reviewer

RMS:
R The Hunted, by Magnum Zero; No Reviewer

Utilities:
Aoc Recgame Manager ver0.2, by bari; Lord_Fadawah 5.0
Age of Empires & Age of Kings Campaign Manager, by Lloyd Kinsella; Medieval Warfare 5.0
AoK-TC Night Scenes, by Berserker Jerker; rwilde5.0

Updates
Please edit your review after an update. A designer can ask for the removal of all reviews after an update if he feels that they do not represent the actual version of his submission. Reviews that address issues that are fixed, altered, ameliorated do not serve the visitors of our site. A review has to be a valuable tool for the designer and the downloader.

Recent updates, reviews to edit (In order of date of the update):

02/16/05 Battle of Falkirk, by sSc_Cobra007; Reviewer: Sceletar
02/17/05 Run, homer, Run 1.0, by terrythewhite; Reviewer: Medieval Warfare
02/18/05 Maldon, 991 AD, by Exar; Reviewer: nathbert
03/26/05 ~The War of ~TROY~, by Sceletar; Reviewer: Ruler of Hell, WildcardDow, Leinad le Grand
06/23/05 Hrolf's Adventure (Updated), by GeodesicDragon; Reviewer:rwilde
06/27/05 Siege of the White City,by WhiteTreePaladin; Reviewer: King Bob VI
07/07/05 Siege of Gondor ver 2.1, by AmericanIdiot14; Reviewer: rwilde
07/09/05 Lonely Singing Angel v2-0b (Update:7/10), by paladin_maker0; Reviewer ThUnDeR77

This is the review request thread, I cannot consider review requests posted in other threads of the SD forum or other forums of the Age of Kings Heaven Forums, nor can I consider posts of reviewers in these threads or forums announcing that they review one of the requests of the review request thread. The same applies, but is not limited to posts of designers informing that a certain reviewer will review their work unless the reviewer posts his promise in this thread.

Review Thread History

Hall of Fame
64 clayperboy

500 posts: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,28445,,all
288 posts: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,29072,,all
150 posts: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,29802,,all

938 total plus 2392 below = 3330.

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 11-09-2005 @ 09:21 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-29-03 12:37 PM CT (US)     246 / 2500  
@ Anastasia

Thank you for your help. I really want to encourage The Adder to post his reviews.

@ The Adder

It doesn't matter if the review was about a not so good scenario, as long as you point out at least one positive aspect for the designer where he can be confident about for the future. The critics will help him also and reviews do help in download decisions. In general a scenario gets more attention with a low rating than with no rating at all. Don't ask me why, the number of downloads tell me this. Probably Anastasia is right when she proposes to rate first a scenario you really enjoyed.

I hope to read a review from you soon.

posted 04-29-03 03:32 PM CT (US)     247 / 2500  
I have reviewed one now and that is two paths.

The pc expert and the helper.... Need help contact me and i'll answer no matter what.
......::::::TRADE FEDERATION::::::......(Star wars1-2)
Im a big fan of Leeds United.
Leeds 1 - 0 Manchester Utd
Leeds 3 - 2 Arsenal
All in the season 2002/2003
posted 04-29-03 06:51 PM CT (US)     248 / 2500  
Ok I'll give it a try and review something I enjoyed first.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 04-29-03 10:05 PM CT (US)     249 / 2500  
It would be nice if my scenario had some reviews...
I released it a few days ago, and I think it's pretty original. It's called BFE, ID #1256, and it's a multiplayer game.
Thanks.
posted 04-29-03 10:46 PM CT (US)     250 / 2500  
Hi Tanneur:

You're most welcome, and I'm glad to help.

...not right, as in right or wrong...I just thought it might be a good way for someone to begin reviewing.

Now your statements about this were absolutely correct.

I know for me that once I had established a few precedents using/following the guidelines, I became more confident about giving ratings in relation to my comments of the experience.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 04-30-03 05:02 AM CT (US)     251 / 2500  
@ Herr Coatl

I found: "NEW Europe map with 813 triggers", but not BFE.

Multiplayer reviews might take very long. At the moment only zyxomma100 reviews Multiplayer. I hope Tonto_Simfish comes back.

Anybody could help reviewing MULTIPLAYER?

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 04-30-2003 @ 05:03 AM).]

posted 04-30-03 07:40 AM CT (US)     252 / 2500  
I can but i just need to pass the challenge or what it is called but when i finish i wil help reviewing it all...
Just one thing.

Do you need internet to test Mulitiplayer scn or scx

The pc expert and the helper.... Need help contact me and i'll answer no matter what.
Leeds 3 - 2 Arsenal
posted 04-30-03 02:31 PM CT (US)     253 / 2500  
@Tanneur
This is from the description page of "NEW Europe map with 813 triggers" and should explain your question.

Quote:

Battle for Europe (BFE)
By _RagnarokCoatl_

Hallo, this is my newest creation, BFE.
It's sort of like a WM, RM, and a touch of a Blood in one-- but with many more features.
It took about two months to finish, and has 813 triggers!

[This message has been edited by Dark_Warrior_1_ (edited 04-30-2003 @ 02:33 PM).]

posted 04-30-03 04:06 PM CT (US)     254 / 2500  
@ Dark_Warrior_1_

Thnx no more confusion.

Quoted from King_Arthur198:

Do you need internet to test Mulitiplayer scn or scx

Good question. I asked the same when I wanted to help. Must be somwhere in this thread I was told that you have to play it with the amount of people asked. I am not so sure because the only category that should be examined with more than one person is balance and that you can do with marco polo and the editor looking at the starting position. Also there is nothing in the review tutorial about the condition to play it on the net. Right now I chose something easy to play as only two parties involved: Outdoors by Yogurt.

posted 04-30-03 06:56 PM CT (US)     255 / 2500  
I'll do multiplayer once I get those four reviews done...

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
posted 04-30-03 10:34 PM CT (US)     256 / 2500  
I will be joining the "multiplayer", as soon as i can find a few dependable players,, so far i have found one. This is a somewhat difficult field to review ,so if and when ,, i will keep it to request reviews only for a while.

[This message has been edited by clayperboy (edited 04-30-2003 @ 10:38 PM).]

posted 05-02-03 09:31 PM CT (US)     257 / 2500  
Want Review

Reversible Trigger System

Do you think that the whole trigger system can be repetitive!?
http://www.heavendownloads.com/aok/downloads/utilities/reversible_trigger_system.zip

(The exact System Description had been included in the file which you will download.)

This Utility is very useful! Because this,the energy can be show as stripes.( |||||||||| )

I come from China

[This message has been edited by Rushot (edited 05-02-2003 @ 09:34 PM).]

posted 05-03-03 10:08 AM CT (US)     258 / 2500  
@ clayperboy and The Adder

There is nothing different or special to review a Multiplayer scenario. The same review tutorial is used except one paragraph under Balance.

Quoted from review tutorial:

Multi-player scenarios are reviewed a bit differently in terms of balance. Each human player should start out in an equal position with equal starting resources and equal starting units. Obviously, the players don't have to match exactly, but they should be balanced. The map should also be examined to determine if all players have access to the same amounts of on-map resources. There are a lot of creative ways that map designers can use to make each player different, yet still balanced. If you choose to review multi-player scenarios, it's your job to ensure that each starting position is balanced with every other starting position.

Thank you for your offers to help.

posted 05-03-03 04:17 PM CT (US)     259 / 2500  
@ Tanneur99
Yea , i knew about the balance portion in the tutorial ,i meant it was difficult to review because of having to find someone to play it with.
I have not yet played a multiplayer game of AOK.
posted 05-05-03 01:32 AM CT (US)     260 / 2500  
I've been too lazy to review lately, but I forced myself to take a few minutes to review one thing.

Review of +Ravenous The RPG+ complete. Review: 4.8

clayperboy: You can just play a multiplayer game on the Zone normally and base the review on that, or play it on MCSN. Go ahead and join; you'll get a good shot at playtesting.

Edit: Tanneur, you have me down as 16 reviews already. This is my 16th.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 05-05-2003 @ 01:33 AM).]

posted 05-05-03 06:23 AM CT (US)     261 / 2500  
@ zyxomma100

Thank you for forcing yourself we really need your support. Good reviews btw. and you're right there are 16 reviews now.

I never played on the Zone and when I wanted to help doing a Multiplayer I was told here that I need the exact number of human players to review a Multiplayer. I did not find anything about that in the review tutorial. Balance seems easy to rate because the starting position of every player has to be balanced including resources. I guess I could find out looking at these positions and just play the comp.

I must admit that I am a little confused now. You told clayperboy to play on the Zone or MCSN which means that he needs human players. In your review you wrote:

Quote:

sometimes the computer player resigns right at the end

Does it mean that I have to play both, human and computer players?

I asked AngelSpineman to pass, but he is very busy. We need to agree if we review playing the comp, only human players or a mix of both.

posted 05-05-03 09:25 AM CT (US)     262 / 2500  

Quote:

I asked AngelSpineman to pass, but he is very busy. We need to agree if we review playing the comp, only human players or a mix of both.

Would be nice to set that straight , i would play the comp quicker than on line. Most times, when i review , i stop to take notes.

posted 05-05-03 11:54 AM CT (US)     263 / 2500  
Can ya possibly reveiw this cpn demo for me :P

Sword of Honour - Chapter I DEMO

ID: 1244

Thanks

posted 05-05-03 12:55 PM CT (US)     264 / 2500  
Hey guys,

Tanneur asked me to step in and clarify the multiplayer scenario review question.

I reviewed many, many multiplayer scenarios back in the days of Age of Empires and I rarely, if ever, actually played the scenarios on the internet with other people before writing the review.

In fact, I would argue that you are better able to evaluate balance in a multiplayer scenario without playing it online. The reason is that every online game has a winner and a loser but does that mean the scenario was unbalaced in favor of the winner? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the winner was simply a better player and the scenario was perfectly balanced. Maybe the winner was a lousy player but the scenario was so unbalanced that he was able to beat a superior player. But how can you tell the difference? You really can't - at least not by a single online game. To really evaluate balance by playing would require multiple games and even then there can be doubts.

For me, the only real way to evaluate balance in a multiplayer scenario is to open the scenario in the editor and check each starting position for equality. I've even done stuff like checking the counts of gold mines to make sure each player has access to the same amount of gold in close proximity to their starting location. You can do the same with food and stone and any other starting resources which should be equal. That will tell you the true balance.

Of course, with some multiplayer scenarios, it's not that easy. Some scenarios start each player in a different situation or give a slightly different advantage to each player and those can be more difficult to judge. Say one player has access to lots of food but little gold or stone, one player has gold but little stone, another has stone but little gold. If the author has stated that the expectation of the players is to adapt and use the market to get the resource they are lacking, then this scenario can be balanced.

In yet other situations, one player is given the role of defender and another player the role of attacker in a fixed force style multiplayer scenario. These can be difficult to judge as well. In any case, be sure to take the author's intent into affect when judging the scenario.

One final note - while it isn't important to actually play a multiplayer scenario in order to review it, I would expect anyone reviewing a multiplayer scenario to have some experience playing multiplayer games against other people on the internet. The style of play in single player is very different from the style of play in multiplayer and I would think it would be only fair to the author to have a reviewer who is familiar with multiplayer games. The person doesn't have to be an expert player, but should have some experience.

Hope that helps... if anyone has questions, let me know.

posted 05-05-03 12:59 PM CT (US)     265 / 2500  
@Angel SpineMan

How do i send you things that are over 2mb.
PS: i know you e-mail but i just don't know how to send it in. By the way sorry im asking here i sent you a e-amil with my outlook but you haven't answered it yet and im in a hurry.

Leeds 3 - 2 Arsenal
posted 05-05-03 08:38 PM CT (US)     266 / 2500  
I need a review for "The Holy Bridge."
A multiplayer scenario.
ID: 1253
Type: B&D
Note: Tell me what you think.

•••The end is near, for fears and tears are building the years and my life shall be stained with suffering but Christ will always be my covering•••
posted 05-06-03 01:03 PM CT (US)     267 / 2500  
That clears up the multiplayer concerns
Thanx Tanneur99

[This message has been edited by clayperboy (edited 05-07-2003 @ 01:35 PM).]

posted 05-06-03 03:50 PM CT (US)     268 / 2500  
You can put me down for "sword of Honor- Chapter 1 DEMO"
posted 05-09-03 08:54 PM CT (US)     269 / 2500  
Sword of honor- Chapter 1 DEMO , completed 4.0

[This message has been edited by clayperboy (edited 05-09-2003 @ 09:03 PM).]

posted 05-09-03 09:41 PM CT (US)     270 / 2500  
Great, after reading your review I feel like downloading the Sword of honour.

[This message has been edited by Tanneur99 (edited 05-09-2003 @ 09:43 PM).]

posted 05-10-03 08:08 AM CT (US)     271 / 2500  
I'd like to join the thread reviewers.

My last review was of They are angry, and I have posted several reviews in the past. I'd be happy to review Single Player scenarios and campaigns.

posted 05-10-03 09:14 AM CT (US)     272 / 2500  
@ Mechstra

You are very welcome. You also did two good reviews for mod packs, so I put you up also with that indication, if you just want to do single player campaigns and scenarios that’ll be fine.

There are some campaigns still undone and maybe the reviewers forgot about them.

I have a look at Meron Taul

posted 05-10-03 10:50 AM CT (US)     273 / 2500  
Good to be aboard. I'll do mod packs too, if any are requested to be reviewed.
posted 05-10-03 10:46 PM CT (US)     274 / 2500  
Obsidian Warriors: 2.8
posted 05-11-03 04:44 PM CT (US)     275 / 2500  
I tried playing that campaign several times ,but it kept crashing my comp at the same place.
posted 05-11-03 11:32 PM CT (US)     276 / 2500  
A Redwall Adventure Demo:2.4
posted 05-14-03 04:14 PM CT (US)     277 / 2500  
Mind if I get a review on my blood templates in utilities. Title: •Blood Map Templates•
Please rate these for me. Thanks

•••The end is near, for fears and tears are building the years and my life shall be stained with suffering but Christ will always be my covering•••
posted 05-14-03 10:12 PM CT (US)     278 / 2500  
Please take that bad review off my games, JewKiller has rated all my games badly because of my character as a Christian. He just says that all my maps suck. Is there anyway to redo the review? Thank you guys.

posted 05-14-03 11:03 PM CT (US)     279 / 2500  
Now he's Canadian, that don't fit the profile. Hang in there The_Servant, your in good hands.
posted 05-15-03 00:18 AM CT (US)     280 / 2500  
Apparently JewKiller doesn't get the picture. He seems to be making a game out of posing ridiculous reviews faster then they can be deleted. Add this to his offensive name, his... er... typing style, and his flames, and he will be gone, along with his reviews. Don't worry, The_Servant.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 72  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Review Requests, about Reviewing and Tutorials
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames