You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How do you make RPG maps?
posted 10-10-03 10:27 PM CT (US)   
I'm trying to make an RPG map, with a gold system(money), and buyable upgrades for your character(s), along with NPC's. Does anyone know how to do this?
Replies:
posted 10-10-03 10:33 PM CT (US)     1 / 32  
Yes, I know how. I leared mostly from trial and error. Just mess with the editor, and eventually you'll be pretty good at using it. That's my only advice.

You want fries with that?
posted 10-10-03 11:02 PM CT (US)     2 / 32  
oh joy. Do you have any tips on any triggers or anything, like for the gold system?
posted 10-11-03 00:19 AM CT (US)     3 / 32  
There is one trick that gives you gold for every x amount of kills, but I can't remember how to set it up. It's in one of the more recent threads I think.

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
posted 10-11-03 01:11 AM CT (US)     4 / 32  
Okay, I'll look for that. I'm also wondering how I would set up a character select thing:

you start with a villager, and depending on which building you walk up to, your villager dies and you get a different character(military).

posted 10-11-03 02:30 AM CT (US)     5 / 32  
hmm i think i can help here. Ex: the unit choices are paladin,cavarcher,and champion.what you do is object selected or object in area.Ex say you want to pick the paladin you make a building near it then

conditionbject selected(the building to represent the pal)
effect:change ownership(the paladin to your player #or you can make a paladin in an area close by).
effect#2:remove villager!!!!!!not kill villager it makes it look dumb.

"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one behind." -- General Patton --

"I do not fear an army of lions, if they are led by a lamb. "I do fear an army of sheep, if they are led by a lion." -- Alexander the Great --
“ Old soldiers never die; they just fade away.” -- General Douglas MacArthur --

posted 10-11-03 02:52 AM CT (US)     6 / 32  
Okay, thanks. I also found a levelling up utility that I've managed to figure out. do you know how to change prices on techs and such, if its possible?
posted 10-11-03 03:16 AM CT (US)     7 / 32  
your in luck YES and NO.

no because you cannot change the price directly.

yes (this is helpfull in rpgs) because you can make a villager called blacksmith near the blacksmith and make triggers where you click on him and he can charge you a certain price (any resource you want) and after you give it to him you have the tech researched with triggers.

hope you understood me lol. this helps alot with many things like selling slaves and stuff like that.

"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one behind." -- General Patton --

"I do not fear an army of lions, if they are led by a lamb. "I do fear an army of sheep, if they are led by a lion." -- Alexander the Great --

posted 10-11-03 06:35 AM CT (US)     8 / 32  
OK, I can tell you the principles involved but, a) I can't be bothered to type all the triggers, b) I can't remember exactly the things to set and c) If I tell you how to come up with it then you can experiment to improve, because you understand the principle.

1. Change research and technology costs.
First, stop the player from getting any buildings with research functions. To do this, just don't give the player any villagers or buildings on the map. Then use the accumulate attribute condition along with the research technology effect to make the computer wait until you have enough gold and then research the technology.

2. Gold for every x amount of kills
Use condition kill ratio and set that to 1. Under that condition, also include an effect that creates the same number of units (for player 1) you want to upgrade after (i.e. if you want to upgrade after 6 kills then create six units), and then another to instantly kill them again. This will set your kill ratio lower, and then to get a kill ratio of 1 again you have to kill the same number of units as you just had killed. Be careful - if you change ownership away from player 1 the game sees it as losing a unit and will affect the kill ratio, you can solve this by creating and killing 1 (p1) unit everytime you use the change ownership effect.

Just another thing, instead of using kill object, which will leave a carcass, try using remove object.

Hope these ideas help.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 10-11-03 08:54 AM CT (US)     9 / 32  
RPG's are my favorite i think there loads of triggers you can use.

ŁĒĮĢĦŊ
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
(¯`·._.Member of Tundra Studios/ A spire labs division._.·´¯)
{¯`·._.Modern Mod Total Conversion._.·´¯}

upcoming ATC Activity attending:
-Flying-
posted 10-11-03 10:58 AM CT (US)     10 / 32  
@darkblade: Thanks, but I might have to email you on it. I;m pretty sure I get it though.

@Elf vrs. Orc: Thanks. I'll be using that.

posted 10-11-03 11:51 AM CT (US)     11 / 32  
Trigger Trick List v2.0, by The Editorbuilder. You should get that, it's very good, it explains how to do healing tricks, teleportation, etc. It would be very good for you.

(˘•٠˛••°ˉˆ˚°¤ ̬ ¤°˚ˆˉ°••˛٠•˘)
-o˚°o¤ Red Beard ¤o°˚o-
ˆ˚°”-•٠o•|^|•o٠•-“°˚ˆ
posted 10-11-03 11:54 AM CT (US)     12 / 32  
All right, thanks Red Beard. I;m also wondering how to make a converstion, so that when you talk, your talk shows up in green, and their;s shows up in red, but there's enough of a wait between for you to read both.
posted 10-11-03 01:13 PM CT (US)     13 / 32  
Feel free to email. Try fiddling around with the trigger editor too. You'll probably get it more or less as soon as you try.

D_B

posted 10-11-03 02:56 PM CT (US)     14 / 32  
I;ve been playing around with it a bit, and I went and read up on some stuff, and downloaded some utility maps, so that I can figure out the leveling system and such. Thanks for all you guy's help though.
posted 10-11-03 03:01 PM CT (US)     15 / 32  
No probs. You new?

D_B

posted 10-11-03 04:51 PM CT (US)     16 / 32  
semi. I've been playing for two years, found AOE heaven, found AOK heaven, and started designing scenarios. Then I played an RPG map in starcraft, and thought it would be cool to do in AOK. I;m not too great of a player, I just like to make scenarios.
posted 10-11-03 06:51 PM CT (US)     17 / 32  
I was almost the same. Played for a while got bored so started designing scenarios, found AoK heaven, improved scenario design no end, and now moving on to modding and AI scripting.
You seen my site?

D_B

posted 10-12-03 07:24 AM CT (US)     18 / 32  
I also suggest that you download RPG maps and look at the triggers, thats how I started out. If its in campaign form, then you should get Age of Empires & Age of Kings Campaign Manager, by Lloyd Kinsella it lets you take out the scenarios for further inspection.

(˘•٠˛••°ˉˆ˚°¤ ̬ ¤°˚ˆˉ°••˛٠•˘)
-o˚°o¤ Red Beard ¤o°˚o-
ˆ˚°”-•٠o•|^|•o٠•-“°˚ˆ
posted 10-12-03 06:00 PM CT (US)     19 / 32  
@darkblade: haven't checked out your site yet but I think I might have read something on it
@redbeard:I already downloaded some RPG scens and looked at the triggers, thats how I figured out the levelling up system, and entering buildings.

I'm also wondering, is there any way for me to make different objectives appear in the scenario objectives box? I;m trying to have it list off side quests and plot quests, and then eventually cancel out either of them once you have completed all of them, but I;m not sure how. And is there any way to set a timer between messages in instructions, so that you can have what appears to be conversations?

[This message has been edited by spidy_ (edited 10-12-2003 @ 09:03 PM).]

posted 10-13-03 01:37 PM CT (US)     20 / 32  
Does anyone know how I can change the ownership of a gaia unit? I'm trying to incorporate dire wolves and jaguars into this map, but when I say change ownership from gaia to player 1 in this area, it doesn't do it.
posted 10-13-03 01:58 PM CT (US)     21 / 32  
you can not change the jaguar to your possesion. But ofr the wolves instead of using a dire wolf from gaia to player whatever try using a regualer wolf IE: a hunting wolf or ornlu and changing the ownership from gaia to you.

Hope that helps

posted 10-13-03 03:28 PM CT (US)     22 / 32  
i think i can help you with the thing about sidequests and item well here goes. i copied this from another topic so i am not taking credit.

Item list
Making a Item list is always a nice thing to do in an RPG.
Trigger 0:
Displayer Objectieve = Yes
Objectieve message = Objectieves
Objectieve String = 100
Starting state: on
Loop: off
Condition 0: Something that is impossible to do in the game
Trigger 1:
Objectieve message = Items
Objectieve String = 85
Trigger 2:
Objectieve message = Weapons & shields
Objectieve String = 40
etc etc etc... Go on as long as you want. Keep lowering the String.
Now if the game will start you will see this list in the scn objectieves:
Objectives
Items
Weapons & Shields
Everythime you want to add a new wappon you have to make sure you type in the Objectieve string a number under the < 40. For each Item between 41 and 84 and Objectieves between 86 and 99.

posted 10-13-03 03:41 PM CT (US)     23 / 32  
@phantom: Alright. Can I change the ownership of a boar?
EDIT: I tried doing the wolf thing, and it made the sound as if it was now owned by player 1, but it was still controlled by gaia.
@Elf vrs. Orc: I'm a little confused there. Can I email you on it?

[This message has been edited by spidy_ (edited 10-13-2003 @ 04:00 PM).]

posted 10-13-03 06:10 PM CT (US)     24 / 32  
YEs you can email me with any questions u have at captlazy15@yahoo.com

posted 10-13-03 06:33 PM CT (US)     25 / 32  
Alright, thanks. If you get an email from a "bboy spidy", that's me.
posted 10-13-03 11:55 PM CT (US)     26 / 32  
No you can not change the ownership of a boar. It will ALWAYS be gaia
posted 10-14-03 08:20 PM CT (US)     27 / 32  
Drat. Is there any animal that can attack that you can change the ownership of to player 1, other than a wolf?
posted 10-15-03 01:21 AM CT (US)     28 / 32  
no unless you want to count a monkey. But you need not use triggers to have him in your possession
posted 10-20-03 07:45 PM CT (US)     29 / 32  
I'm a big fan of the RPG maps, so I have figured out a few simple trigger setups.

1. The money sytem. Using gold is obvious. If you want quest related payments, then simple trigger a payment at the end of each side-quest. As far as purchasing, the simplest is to loop a set of triggers with a unit next to a building (ex: spearman next to a blacksmith). When you click on the spearman, he says you can buy an upgrade by clicking on the building. When you do, it deducts the amount by a tribute of gold, and then researches the purchased upgrage. You can also do a similar thing with hiring army units. In this case, simple have the trigger create the purchased unit next to the building, or off the screen, and task the unit to the player.

2. The leveling up system. There are a few different ways of doing this. There's the unique system. Triggers based on certain events or units killed, then trigger a specific upgrade, etc. Another system I like and am using in my current RPG, is based on the kill ratio. For every level, you set a trigger that waits for the kill ratio to equal a certain number (5 or something), when accomplished, you can research something, then start the next trigger that requires a ratio of 10, 15 or whatever.
For the upgrades, I'm letting the player choose between a swordsman or archer or mage. The swordsman and archer both have the most upgrades without switching heros, and the mage is going to be completely trigger based. Using a monk, and lots of trigger tricks.

posted 10-29-03 04:34 AM CT (US)     30 / 32  
I am making my own rpg map. i have this idea invovling a team called shops (they are your allies). you put blacksmiths that belong to the shops team, and when you bring your bloke to them they send chat saying send me xxx gold and you will get some upgrades. this then activates another trigger so that when you tribute xxx gold to them you research somthing like chain mail armour etc.

¤º°°º¤Jack L¤º°°º¤
¤º°°º¤Current Project: The call of Darkness.¤º°°º¤
¤º°°º¤Never argue with an idiot...¤º°°º¤
¤º°°º¤...They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.¤º°°º¤
Cyberbuck count: 0.00. Give me money!
posted 10-29-03 02:56 PM CT (US)     31 / 32  
this has nothing to do with anything but you spelled splelled wrong in your site when you aksed did i speel this right

Current Project: Return to Aldea RPG 75% Release date is Halloween
posted 10-29-03 03:33 PM CT (US)     32 / 32  
I'm making an rpg not saynig much about it mind.
But does anyone know how to do magic out of curiosity

ŁĒĮĢĦŊ
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
(¯`·._.Member of Tundra Studios/ A spire labs division._.·´¯)
{¯`·._.Modern Mod Total Conversion._.·´¯}

upcoming ATC Activity attending:
-Flying-
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » How do you make RPG maps?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames