loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Design FAQ
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 17 18 19 20 21 ··· 30 ··· 39  Next Page »
posted 12-14-03 08:05 PM CT (US)   
Scenario Design FAQ By Da Hobo

Originally posted on 12-14-2003
Last Updated/Edited 12-23-06 -Anastasia

In this frequently asked questions thread, you should be able to find all the answers to your problems. If you cannot find a question & answer on a particular subject, please post (leave a message) in this thread and I will endeavor to include it.

To search for a particular subject or question, press "control + F" on your keyboard. You can then search this page for keywords. For example: If you want to know how to make cliffs invisible, press Ctrl + F, and type the word "invisible" or "cliff". The browser will scroll to the next place where those words are mentioned.

Disclaimer, some of the answers to questions given here do not reflect the original person who discovered/wrote the answer. If you feel I have not credited the right person, please inform me and I will correct it accordingly.

•———————————————————————————•

CREDITS

Thank you Berserker Jerker for your suggestions and corrections. Also thank you DaVe, aoegolfer, zyxomma100, bleedteal, Anastasia, ax_man1, Raptor, dark_warrior_1_, WhiteWolf, rayoflightsword, kevingamer _AcX_, Marshal Gandalf, scenario_t_c, Surge, SonicShadow, rwilde, and FuzzyFurry25 (mr. proofreader) for your help in compiling this FAQ.

Note that these credits only include people who helped me write this FAQ directly.

I am constantly updating, editing, and proof-reading this massive document. If you have an idea for a question, a question you would like answered, some information that could be used to expand on an answer, have spotted a grammar or spelling or bbcode mistake, or any inaccuracies in the text, please inform me by posting in the thread.

INDEX

Q1. How can I make some non-player units remain idle?
Q2. How can I place gold mines, forage bushes, yurts, stone mines, etc.?
Q3.Is there any way at all to rename units before they are created?
Q4. What is POREX and where can I get it?
Q5. What are TWAL / Port / Camel Scout / etc. and where can I get them?
Q6. What is map copy and how can I do it?
Q7. How can I make cliffs invisible?
Q8. How can I make cliffs walkable?
Q9. How can I make units look like they are sliding?
Q10. How do I make the light-from-window effect at night?
Q11. Why does a percentage (%) appear instead of my unit's name, in the grey info box?
Q12. How do I lower a unit's max HP / Attack?
Q13. What is the maximum number for...
Q14. How do you set a unit to "Defensive" stance?
Q15. How do you set a unit to the "No Attack Stance" stance?
Q16. I accidentally deleted the name of a trigger, and can’t seem to select it. How can I select it again?
Q17. People say that I should put a unit belonging to Player 1 in an allied transport ship, to avoid defeat during cut scenes. I cannot place a player 1 unit into an allied ship. How do I do this?
Q18. How can I make my scenario's starting position over the character, not over the transport in the corner?
Q19. How do I make non-player units walk in formation?
Q20. I can't select more than one unit with Change Object Name / Patrol / effect. How do you do it?
Q21. How do I do to stop the player from seeing his allies’ line of sight?
Q22. How can I let the player's units rest at inns in my scenario?
Q23. How do people make explosions in a scenario?
Q24. How do I let the player read signs in my scenario?
Q25. How can I change the color of the text in the effect "Display Instructions”?
Q26. How can I make text red without having a "<" appear in front of the message?
Q27. How can I freeze trade carts (stop them moving around on their own)?
Q28. How can I freeze kings (stop them garrisoning inside a building on their own)?
Q29. What is a string table?
Q30. I’ve placed some map revealers in the editor How do I remove them?
Q31. How do I make instructions appear in the Instructions menu?
Q32. How do I make walkable water?
Q33. Why can't I use bridge ends for walkable water?
Q34. How do people get rid of that ugly sand where land hits water? (Also: How do people get rid of that rigid edge where ice or snow hits water?)
Q35. How do I make (regular) units heal like a hero?
Q36. How do I make invisible farms?
Q37. How do you make palisade / stone / fortified walls with no big, flagged corners/ends?
Q38. How can I make waterfalls in my scenario?
Q39. How do I make 0-HP units? (Also: How do I make invincible units?)
Q40. What is the "Kill Ratio" condition?
Q41. How do I reward players for every kill they make?
Q42. How can I give the player resources without the message "GAIA tributed to “?
Q43. How can I get text to appear in the center of the screen?
Q44. How do I take screenshots?
Q45. How do I make Objectives appear during the game?
Q46. How do I make a "Taunt AI"?
Q47. How can I let the player receive upgrades for money at a blacksmith?
Q48. How do I make my own random map script (RMS)?
Q49. What are the areas (size) of the different sized maps?
Q50. How do I submit things to the Blacksmith?
Q51. Why is my submission not showing up in the blacksmith?
Q52. How do I submit files to the blacksmith that are larger than 2 megabytes?
Q53. How do I set the population limit above 75 in the editor?
Q54. Immobile Units AI / Gold / Advanced is not working for a certain player. Why is this?
Q55. How do I make item lists below "Objectives"?
Q56. My map keeps freezing (crashing), and I'm not sure if it's due to triggers or the map. Help!
Q57. Is it possible to copy triggers, trigger conditions and/or trigger effects? If so, how's it done?
Q58. How do you make a death message appear for a single unit that hasn't been created yet?
Q59. How can I task units to garrison in buildings?
Q60. Where do I unzip / put files I’ve downloaded?
Q61. How do I prevent units from un-garrisoning at the beginning of the game?
Q62. How do I keep wonders from changing ownership when a unit of a different player comes near it?
Q63. How do I prevent the player's monks or missionaries from converting?
Q64. I was just working on my scenario for hours, and I forgot to save before I tested it. It crashed. Is there anything I can do to recover my work?
Q65: Why don't lumberjacks etc. count as villagers for the "Objects in area" trigger?
Q66. How do I stop villagers names from changing? i.e. I want it to be renamed "Bob" but it keeps changing when the player clicks on a tree. Help!
Q67. a) I downloaded a modpack and MPS crashed as it was uninstalling. How do I get rid of it?
Q67. b) But I don't want to lose my scenario / campaign / saved game files!
Q68. Why can't I create or remove gaia objects, with triggers?
Q69. How do I achieve the food trick? ( How do I make the player eat food until they reach 0, and die?
Q70. How can you make zombie / invincible / unkillable units?
Q71. How do I stop the computer players from automatically resigning after a few minutes of gameplay?
Q72. How do I get sailable water on to elevated land?
Q73. Is there a way to make units invincible without using a minus sign (-)?
Q74. So, I took a screenshot. How do I show it to other people?
Q75. Is possible to make buildings walkable?
Q76. Can I get the beta wooden water-gates and walls on to terrains becides water?
Q77. How do I make a player with no name (so it doesn't choose one if I leave it blank)?
Q N1: How can I quote / bold / fade / color / etc. on the forums?
Q N2.What do those abbreviations mean / stand for?

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

A1. Download Immobile Units AI Gold. By Zanzard Lothar. If this is not an option, create a looping “Task Object” trigger or “stop unit” trigger.
Warning: The “Task Object” solution causes the units to stay completely (and unnaturally) still. Use of the AI is a far better solution.

Note: To use an ai file, place it in your "AI" folder in your "Age of Empires II" directory. Now, go into the editor and click on the "Players" tab. Under "Personality" select the AI that you downloaded.

Also note that AIs work for both Age of Kings and Age Of Kings: The Conquerors, no matter what the blcksmith has marked it as.

A2. Click on the Units tab at the top of the editor. Select Gaia (Earth) in the players scroll menu and then click the "Others" tab. This is where you find rocks, flowers, plants, sea rocks, flags, cracks, broken carts, etc.

To recap: Editor => Units => Players - Gaia => Others

A3. Quick answer: No. There is no possible way to create a unit and then change its name. There are workarounds, though.

One of them is the "Under the Fog" method. This one is the most useful when you want a man to change clothes or mount on to a horse. One version simply put is: you have spare units stored off to the side already renamed. To change the unit's appearance and keep its name, you remove the player's unit (you have a backup somewhere else on the map, to keep the player alive) and move the hidden units into place.

Another (better) version is instead of just removing the unit and replacing, you have a unit standing right by where you are going to remove the player's unit (by his house or stable). Let's say that it is a Scout. Do not change this unit's name until the player's unit has been removed. Once the player is "under the fog" change the Scout's name to the player's unit's name and task it to where the unit last was. Finally, create another scout exactly where the old one used to be. - Thank You Crasher.
For more on these methods, go here.
The last workaround is using the mysterious POREX mine. Simply task a villager (this workaround only work for them) to the mine (renamed) and it will turn invisible. Then task it to where ever you want it to appear. To make it reappear, task it to anything (i.e. wood chopping, berry gathering.)

Update: Berserker Jerker has developed another method for “hiding units in full view” of the player, using a bug that is related to Relic Carts. This article can be found at the Tsuniversity

A4. Porex is a mysterious beta unit that looks like a gold mine and makes villagers become invisible when they gather it. They become visible if tasked to anything else. You can find it in this Eye Candy Template by CheeZy_monkey.

A5. These are beta units. They where intended to be in the game but didn't make the final version. Some of them (like those listed above) are hidden in the game files and some show up when you open AoE scenarios in AoK. You can find the most popular one’s here. Just map copy them into your own scenarios.

A6. Map Copy is basically copy & paste for your scenario. To do it, click on the "Terrain" tab at the top of the editor. Once there, click on "Map Copy". Then set the area that you wish to copy by dragging a box around it with your curser. Finally, click
"Copy Selected Area" and choose where you want to copy the terrain to (and units and buildings).

To recap: Editor => Terrain => Map Copy - Set the Area = Copy Selected Area - Choose where to copy to.

While in there you may notice some other options such a "Change Player". To use that, after choosing the area, use the little scroll to select the player that you want to change the ownership of the map copied units to. This tool is useful when you realize that you have made a whole enemy town using Player 1 when you intended it to be Player 2.
Warning: Map copying rotates everything in one direction so it makes cliffs invisible and makes forests extremely uniform.

A7. To make cliffs invisible, place your cliffs, and simply rotate them in the "Units" section. (Select "Rotate" as the option). To check where you have already place invisible cliffs, hit Control + A; that command outlines everything on the map.

Note: To remove invisible cliffs, place new one over them and delete those, or do it in-game with by removing Gaia where the invisible cliffs are.

A8. To make cliffs walkable, you must place a building directly over them and remove it with triggers. To get the building on top of them, place the building first, and then drag the cliffs under it.

Warning: Walkable cliffs become un-walkable after the game has been saved and reloaded. To work around this, warn the player not to save for a second or two and remove the building just before the player can see it.

Note: This same trick works for buildings, see question 75.

A9. Instead, of using the "Task Object" effect, use the "Unload" effect. (Created to task units out of ships) When the unload effect is used on land, the unit glides. You can combine this with the walkable cliffs to make a units appear to be falling off a cliff.

Note: You can stop units from "gliding" by tasking them to an actual object, instead of a location... even an allied one.

A10. To make this effect make sure that the player has seen the city or building that you are using the trick on, but has no units or map revealers round it. That makes it night (see through fog). To get the small specs of light to show up, research spies (with triggers) and use the "Place Foundation" effect by the windows with the source player being an enemy. You must first remove all buildings and units of every single player on the map, except for the 'survival' units, which keep each player away from the 'Player defeated'. This is really only useful for cut scenes. - Thank you crasher

Q11. Why does a percentage (%) appear instead of my unit's name, in the grey info box?

A11. This is nothing to worry about; the game just cannot recognize changed names in that box. There is no workaround.

A12. There are two methods of lowering a unit's HP /Attack. The first one is unstable because if you look at the effect again, it resets itself. Basically, you must get a minus sign ( - ) into the "Quantity" box. But, the game doesn't allow you to type the minus sign directly into the box. To get a "-" sign into the Quantity box, go into any Message box or trigger name, enter a minus sign and copy & paste it into the quantity box. Highlight the subtraction symbol, right click, select "copy" out of the menu, go to the Quantity box and select paste (using the menu, once again). Do not select that effect again, otherwise it will rest to 0.
The second method is much more stable and easier (but more complex to figure). There is a magic overflow number that, when reached (in the quantity box) it subtracts from the original HP/Attack number for the unit. The magic number is 65536. To indicate how much you want to lower the unit's attack or HP by, subtract that number from the magic number. For example: If I want to lower a unit's HP or attack by 20, I would type 65516 (65536 - 20). Thank you, CrystalCrown.
For more information on magic numbers go to Laws of the Map Editor #7: Numerical Manipulation and All of the magical numbers in AOK:TC.

Q13. What is the maximum number for..

Q13. a) The characters that can be typed into a "Send Chat" effect?

Q13. b) The characters that can be typed into a "Display Instructions" effect?

Q13. c) The characters that can be typed into a "Change Object Name" effect?

Q13. d) "Change Units HP" or "Change Object Attack"?

A13. a) 63.

A13. b) 255

A13. c) 255

A13. d) 32767

All of this info was taken from All of the magical numbers in AOK:TC, a very useful thread. Thanks to scenario_t_c, Kent.Newbie, APPLE, Rushot, and CrystalCrown.

Q14. How do you set a unit to "Defensive" stance?

A14. You cannot set a unit on defensive stance with the editor, but heroes are automatically set on defensive at the beginning of the game, so you can use them and rename.

Q15. How do you set a unit to the "No Attack Stance" stance?

A15. You can set a unit to no attack stance by using the "Freeze Object" effect.

Q16. I accidentally deleted the name of a trigger, and can’t seem to select it. How can I select it again?

A16. Create a new trigger beneath the nameless one and delete it. That will leave you with the offending trigger selected; you can then add a name. If the trigger is in the middle of a series of triggers create a new trigger, and move this trigger to underneath the trigger with no name.

Q17. People say that I should put a unit belonging to Player 1 in an allied transport ship, to avoid defeat during cut scenes. I cannot place a player 1 unit into an allied ship. How do I do this?

A17. To get the P1 unit into an ally's ship: Place a P1 transport in some water, (in a hidden place) and place a unit inside the transport. Then using triggers, change the ownership of the ship from P1 to an ally. Aoegolfer has informed me that changing the ownership to Gaia also works. This is useful when you must have cartography researched.

Q18. How can I make my scenario's starting position over the character, not over the transport in the corner?

A18. Go to the "Options" tab at the top of the editor, go to the desired starting position and click on "Set Starting Position".

A19. You must use the "Patrol" effect rather than the "Task Object" effect. To prevent the units from going back and forth, when they reach their destination, change their ownership to a different player (of the same color, preferably) for at least two seconds.

A great article by Dark_Warrior_1_ can be found here.

Q20. I can't select more than one unit with Change Object Name / Patrol / effect. How do you do it?

A20. To select more than one unit with an effect, IE “Patrol”, make sure that the player who owns those units is selected in the "Players" tab at the top of the editor. After making sure of that, just hold control and click on each of the units, or click and drag a box around the units.

A21. Under "Options" at the top of the editor, in the "Disable" part, click on technologies. Scroll down until you see "Cartography" and move it into the "Disabled" column.

A22. Use these triggers, to the letter:

Trigger0
Display As Objective: Yes/No
Starting State: On
Looping: Yes
------------------------------------------------------------ --
Condition0: Object Selected - The Inn Keeper
Effect0: Display Instructions - Inn Keeper: Would you like to rest at the Inn? If so, step
on the flag” (Or something of that sort it doesn’t really matter)
Effect1: Change Ownership - The Inn Keeper to player 1
Effect2: Change Ownership - The Inn Keeper from player 1 to whatever player it was.
Effect3: Activate Trigger - Trigger1

Trigger1
Starting State: Off
------------------------------------------------------------ --
Condition0: Object in Area - Player 1’s Units - Quantity 1 - In the Area of the flag.
Effect0: Change Ownership - Your unit to an allied player.
Effect2: Change View - Any unexplored area
Effect3: Display Instructions- ZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzz……..
Effect4: Activate Trigger - Trigger2

Trigger2
------------------------------------------------------------ ---
Effect0: Create Object - Monk (make sure its an allied player)- Somewhere near the Inn
Effect2: Task Object - Monk - From that Area to your unit that is resting
Effect3: Activate Trigger - Trigger3

Trigger3
Looping: No
------------------------------------------------------------ ---
Condition0: Timer - 30 seconds (or however long you want the rest to be)
Effect0: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger2
Effect1: Remove Object - The monks from the area around the Inn
Effect2: Change Ownership - Your unit back to your possession.
Effect3: Change View - Back to the Inn
Effect4: Display Instructions - “(Your Characters name): I had better get going, thanks for the use of your Inn.

© Copyright 2002, Woad Creations.

- Thanks to Dark_Warrior_1_ of Woad Creations

A23. There are a few methods for making explosions in scenarios. The first and most obvious is the petard explosion. This is simple and easy to accomplish. Just create and kill (removing won't work) a petard or a group of them anywhere you want. The drawbacks to this one are that the petard shows for a split second, making it obvious, and it can only be done where a petard can stand. Another way is to use "furious the monkey boy". It has the same drawbacks as that of the petard but has the benefit of body parts flying, to enhance the look.
The best version (in my opinion) is to use Macaws or Hawks the same way as the petards. The benefit is: Hawks and Macaws make large explosions (bigger than the petard) when they are killed. They can also be placed anywhere on the map.
The final version is using Demolition Ships. These give quite a good explosion, although this method can only be produced on water.
Another use of explosions is to make magical barriers with. Simply create and destroy them in a line, with a looping trigger that has no Conditions.

A24. To let the player read a sign when they select it, use this trigger:

Trigger0
Display As Objective: Yes / No
Trigger Looping: Yes
----------------------------------------------------------
Condition0: Object Selected - The Sign
Condition1: Timer - Around 5
Effect0: Display Instructions - "Green Lake - EAST Groaning - NORTH
(Or what ever you want the sign to read)

To let the player read a sign when their unit gets near it, use this:

Trigger0
----------------------------------------------------------
Condition0: Bring Object to Area - Set Area - Around the sign (not too small)
Effect0: Display Instructions - "Green Lake - EAST Groaning - NORTH
(Or what ever you want the sign to read)

Q25. How can I change the color of the text in the effect "Display Instructions"?

A25. To change the color, put this tag < COLOR > before the text and close the brackets. Substitute the word “COLOR” for one of the available colors below.

The available colors are:
<BLUE>
<RED>
<GREEN>
<YELLOW>
<AQUA>
<PURPLE>
<GREY>
<ORANGE>

Note: GREY is spelled with the letter E, grey (not gray). For the cyan color, use "AQUA". The color RED has a bug which causes a > to appear before the text. For RED, see Q26 (next question).

Q26. How can I make text red without having a ">" appear in front of the message?

A26. That is a problem called the "red bug". Luckily a solution has been found: Type <..>, write the text and hit enter until you get to the bottom of the box, and type the tag < RED >. Like this:

<..> -Your Text here-
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
[ENTER]
<RED>

A27. To freeze a trade cart, use a looping trigger with the "Task Object" effect set on the trade cart, but do not place a Location.

Q28. How can I freeze kings (stop them garrisoning inside a building on their own)?

A29. No AI can overwrite the King's urge to seek cover in one of his castles or building. But, there are three other ways to freeze a king.
The first and most obvious is to use the "Task Object" effect and do not place a Location. This one gets the job done, but you cannot task the king anywhere else and his is completely frozen.
The second option is to make the king and his city separate players. The king will not garrison in an ally's buildings.
The final (and defiantly the best) solution is to use a Shah instead, and simply rename it. The Shah can be found under the "Heroes" tab under "Units". You can task him anywhere, like a normal unit, and does not have to stay perfectly still. Some people have said the Shah runs to his castle as well. For me, personally, the Shah works. This could be a problem with different game versions. IE if you have the latest “C” patch update for the AOK.

A29. Ensemble Studios used string tables in the campaigns that shipped with the game so they were able to write out the messages in different languages, without having to edit the campaign for each language. Ignore it as it is of no use to us. - Crystal Crown

Q30. I’ve placed some map revealers in the editor How do I remove them?

A30. Press Ctrl + A on your keyboard to see the map revealers outlines in the editor. Then simply map copy terrain over them.
Note: Map revealers can’t be deleted with the delete function under the units tab.

A31. To make instructions appear in the "Instructions Menu" (at the start screen) in your campaign, no triggers are needed. Just click on the "Messages" tab at the top of the editor, select "Scenario Instructions" and type in your message.
Note: This is also where you type your Hints and Scouts messages.

A32. To get this effect, create and remove a middle section part of a bridge. This trick can be used for wading, crossing swamps, flooding (as it will change any terrain into water), magical warlocks, etc.
Note: The walkable water is not crossable by ships anymore.

A33. Bridge ends cannot be used for walkable water because when you "create & remove" them, they make desert terrain. This, by itself is a whole new trick. It can be used for getting rid of walkable water, a river drying up, ice or snow melting, etc.

Q34. How do people get rid of that ugly sand where land hits water? (Also: How do people get rid of that rigid edge where ice or snow hits water?)

A34. This trick is rightly called "shoreless water". To make shoreless water create & remove a bridge middle near the shore. This looks nice, but be sure to leave some normal shores in too, for variety.

A35.To make a unit heal like a hero, use this trigger:

Trigger0:
Display as Objective: No
--------------------------------------------------
Condition0: Timer - 1 ~ 3, controls how fast a unit recovers. The longer the time, the slower the unit recovers.
Effect0: Damage Object: - 1
Effect1: Damage Object: - (16777216 - MAX HP)
Effect2: Damage Object: (16777216 - MAX HP)

There is a thread about this: Units Healing like a Hero without going over the MAX HP and using monk

-thanks again, scenario_t_c.

A36. There are several ways to achieve this. Rather than trying to explain here, Use this Utility by Cknchaos.

Q37. How do you make palisade / stone / fortified walls with no big, flagged corners/ends?

A37. To create walls with no corner or end pieces, simply remove them with triggers. Deleting or erasing them in the editor will not work.
If you do not have c-patch installed on your machine, you can remove the end pieces with "Erase Buildings" function under the Terrain tab to achieve the same effect.

A38. There are three nice, different methods of making waterfalls.

The first one is using cliffs. First add any trees or eye candy you will want around the waterfall. Then, make two rows of cliffs with the ends meeting, but do not quite connect them. Do this again on another row below the first. Now add shallow water between the cracks in the cliff and deep water at the bottom and top. Add sea rocks and plants. Voila! This article at woad by DW goes into detail with pictures and examples.

The second way is to have water on elevated surfaces. This gives the appearance of a slow, downhill fall. There are two ways of getting elevated water: creating and removing many bridges on the elevation or map copying elevation on to water. Both work. Add sea rocks and maybe some shore less snow.

The final way looks like a rushing waterfall. Take a high elevation brush set on tiny, and click anywhere once. Then move the curser one square to the (straight) left and click again. This will give you a little chute on which to make your waterfall. Cover this chute and a small radius around the bottom (of the falls) with snow and soften the edges with the shore less water trick. Now it is just a matter of putting water at the top and bottom of the snow-chute. Also add some trees & eye candy on both sides. Add rocks and sea rocks to the bottom and top. Hint: Add another, smaller fall next to the first one. It gives a nice effect.

A nice example of the last option, by AnastasiaKafka:

[HTML, (261.52 KB)]

*Note: Where I mention making shoreless water you can also copy the shoreless terrain from cheezy's monkey’s eye candy utility.

Q39. How do I make 0-HP units? (Also : How do I make invincible units?)

A39. To make units whose HP reads zero, but are still alive (Note: These units become invincible, as well) use either one of these triggers:

Trigger0 -
Starting State: On / Off
Trigger Looping: No
---------------------------------------
Condition0:
Effect0: Change Object HP - (-*)
Effect1: Damage Object - (-1)
Effect 2: Change Object HP - (*)

* = the unit's maximum HP

OR:

Trigger0 -
Condition0:
Effect0: Change Object HP - (-*)
Effect1: Damage Object - (-*)
Effect 2: Change Object HP - (*)
Effect 3: Damage Object - (*)

* = the unit's maximum HP

Note: To get the "-" sign into the Quantity box, go into any "Message" box or trigger name, enter a minus sign and copy & paste it into the quantity box. Highlight the subtraction symbol, right click, select copy out of the menu, go to the Quantity box and select paste (using the menu, once again). Do not select that effect again, otherwise it will rest to 0.

A40. Your kill ratio is the balance between how many kills you have and how many of your units have been killed. Having a high kill ratio means you have killed more than you have lost. Having a negative kill ratio means you have lost more than you have killed. If you have killed and lost the same amount of soldiers, your kill ratio is 0. See the pattern? To find your kill ratio, the computer subtracts your number of kills by your number of losses. i.e. : If you have killed 22 men and lost 4, your ratio is 18. If you have kill 60 and lost 100, your ratio is minus 40.

A41. For this, you will need to use "Kill Ratio", under the "Accumulate Attribute" condition. Basically, it is a process of rewarding the player when the ratio is (+) 1, and then resetting it to 0 until the next kill. Here is the trigger, the reward is 10 gold in this example:

Trigger0
Display as Objective: Yes / No
Trigger Starting State: On
------------------------------------------------------------ -------
Condition0: Accumulate Attribute ( 1 Kill Ratio: Player 1 )
Effect: Tribute ( 10 Gold: GAIA » Player 1 )
Effect: Create Object - Player One - Any Units - Location: Somewhere where the player will not notice.
Effect: Remove Object - Set area - Unit above

Also, see Laws of the Map Editor #8: Accumulate Attribute by CrystalCrown and look for "Paid to Kill".

Thanks, CC.

Q42. How can I give the player resources without the message "GAIA tributed to " ?

To prevent the tribute message, rather than having Gaia tribute resources to player 1, have the player tribute negative resources to gaia. (With a minus symbol)

- thanks again, CC.

A43. To get your text in the center of the display you must have patients. Just make a lot of spaces, test, add or take some away, test, and so on until you are happy.
Note: To get the text to appear in different (vertical) positions, set the value (0,1 or 2) in the small box in the "Display Instructions" effect.

This is how the different values appear:

|----------------------Top of Screen--------------------|
|Value: 0
|
|Value: 1
|
|Value: 2
|
|
|
|
|
|
|--------------------Bottom of Screen-----------------|

A44. To take a screenshot of what you are looking at press PRINT SCREEN. To take a full map screenshot (map shot), press Ctrl and F12 together.
Note: You must have The Conquerors Expansion to take map shots.

A45. Create a trigger and click on its name to get its options. You will notice that there is a check box marked "Display As Objective". Obviously, if you check this, that trigger will be "Displayed As An Objective".
Trigger example:

Trigger0
Display As Objective: Yes
-----------------------------------
Condition0: Destroy Object - Set Object - Enemy Castle
Effect0: Declare Victory: Player 1

This will display: "Raze the castle" in the Description box. When the conditions are met in an "objective trigger" (the castle destroyed in this example), the text will become crossed out.
Note: If you want something to be in the objectives menu never to be crossed out, (such as item lists or overall instructions), simply make a condition that is impossible to achieve.

A46. Check out this article: "Taunt to Trigger", Dark_Warrior_1

A47. If you want the reward to be choices from +1 attack, +30 HP or +3 attack try this example:

Trigger 0: <. name>
Condition 0: Object Selected - The Blacksmith
Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: Hello! Would you like to buy some armor or weaponry?"
If so, select the <. building around blacksmith #1 >

If not, select the <. building around blacksmith #2 >"
Effect 1: Activate Trigger - Trigger 1
------------------------------------------------------------ ----
Trigger 1:
Condition 0: Object Selected -
Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: All right! My prices are:

Sword Sharpening (+1 attack) - 100 gold (select )
New Chest Plate (+ 30 HP): - 150 gold (select )
Longer Jeweled Sword (+3 attack) - 200 gold (select )
Effect: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 2
Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 3
Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 4
Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 5

Trigger 2:
Effect: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 1
Effect: Activate Trigger - Trigger 0
Effect: Display Instructions - Smith: *Sigh* Okay, see ya'. Business is slow today.

Trigger 3:
Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Gold Amount - 100 gold
Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: Give me that for a sec.
Bzzzt! Clang! Clange! Chink! Bzzzt! Smith: Here ya go!
Effect 1: Tribute - Source Player - 1 | Target Player - Gaia | Quantity: 100 Gold
Effect 2: Change Object Attack - Set Object: Player's Unit - Quantity: 1
Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 4
Effect 4: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 5
Effect 5: Activate Trigger - Trigger 0

Trigger 4:
Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Gold Amount - 150 gold
Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: Great Choice! Here. Brand New. Molded Yesterday!"
Effect 1: Tribute - Source Player - 1 | Target Player - Gaia | Quantity: 150 Gold
Effect 2: Change Object HP - Set Object: Player's Unit - Quantity: 30
Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 3
Effect 4: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 5

Trigger 5:
Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Gold Amount - 100 gold
Effect 0: Display Instructions - "Smith: That’s an excellent choice. Worth all of it. Mighty heavy, but you look like a strong bloke."
Effect 1: Tribute - Source Player - 1 | Target Player - Gaia | Quantity: 200 Gold
Effect 2: Change Object Attack - Set Object: Player's Unit - Quantity: 3
Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 3
Effect 4: Deactivate Trigger - Trigger 4

Note: Any of the gold amounts, attack or HP increases, or "Smith:" text can be altered to fit your needs.

Warning: Depending on the size of your messages, you might have to have two effects for each "Display Instruction". One has to have its position set on 0, the other on 1. Check question 43 about the position values.

A48.There is an excellent document about RM scripting in the "docs" folder of your Conquerors disk called “rmsg.doc”. Other great articles, including Your First Random Map Script, can be found in DGDN's RM Scripting Articles. Thank you, Vauxhall for writing that entire section of DGDN.

Q49. a) a tiny-size map?

Q49. b) a small-size map?

Q49. c) a medium-size map?

Q49. d) a large-size map?

Q49. e) a huge-size map?

Q49. f) a gigantic-size map?

A49. a) 72 x 72 Units.

A49. b) 96 x 96 Units.

A49. c) 120 x 120 Units.

A49. d) 144 x 144 Units.

A49. e) 200 x 200 Units.

A49. f) 255 x 255 Units.

A50. Go to the Blacksmith main page, and click on "Submit File". Fill out the form and choose the (zipped) file. Also, ensure you give your down load a description.. Do not just put "my first scenario". Going in to detail will help potential down loaders make the right choice.

A51. Be patient. In general the Blacksmith is updated on a weekly basis. If you submitted more than a few weeks ago, contact Tanneur99.

A52. You need to get permission for files over 2 megabytes the Blacksmith, Contact Angle Aro or Angle Spineman.

A53. In AoK, this is not possible. You can create more units with the "Create Object" effect, though.
In AoK: TC, this is possible by simply altering the population limit under the players tab.

Q54. Immobile Units AI / Gold / Advanced is not working for a certain player. Why is this?

First, make sure that player's AI is set to the Immobile Units, under the players tab, choose personality, and select “Immobile units”.
Make sure that that player has at least one military unit (a spearman, for example) and/or at least three villagers.

A55. Use these triggers from Item Lists by Ranger.

For the Normal Objectives:

Trigger 0:
Displayer Objective = Yes
Objective message = Objectives
Objective String = 100
Starting state: on
Loop: off
----------------------------------------------------
Condition 0: Something that is impossible to do in the game

For Items:

Trigger 1:
Objective message = Items
Objective String = 85
-----------------------------------------------------

For Weapons & Shields:

Trigger 2:
Objective message = Weapons & shields
Objective String = 40
---------------------------------------------------

etc etc etc...

Go on as long as you want. Keep lowering the String.
Now if the game will start you will see this list in the scn objectives:
Objectives
Items
Weapons & Shields
Every time you want to add a new weapon you have to make sure you type in the Objective string a number under the < 40. For each Item between 41 and 84 and Objectives between 86 and 99.

© Copyright 2002, Woad Creations.

Q56. My map keeps freezing (crashing), and I'm not sure if it's due to triggers or the map. Help!

A56. Use this method to seek & destroy the problem:

Game Crash Troubleshooting by Lord_Fadawah

Q57. Is it possible to copy triggers trigger conditions and/or trigger effects? If so, how's it done?

A57. It was recently found that it is possible to copy conditions and effects. Berserker Jerker has written a step-by-step guide on how to copy:

Step 1: Add all the effects you're going to use, plus one extra. (I clicked the create effect button twenty times for this test)

Step 2: Click the first effect in the list. From the drop down menu choose create object, and set your parameters. IE Units-Knight-Player 1. Now delete this effect. You will now automatically have the next effect selected.

Step 3: From the drop down menu choose task object. You shouldn't be able to see any of the options for this. Now click the drop down menu again and choose create object.

Step 4: Click the next effect and repeat step 3. Keep doing this until you've done all the effects. Then simply click back to each effect in turn, and you'll see all the parameters already set, IE Units-Knight-Player 1, all you need to do is set the location for each create object effect. Once you’ve finished the process, just click the create new trigger, and your back to “un-copy mode”

Another good point is: once in “copy mode” you can choose different things from the drop down menu, and the parameters will all ready be set IE Units-Knight-player 1. Very useful if you want to create a unit and change it’s attack and/or hp, you’ll just need to set the amount in the quantity box, and the area.

It also works for conditions. However, creating 20 or so identical conditions is not that useful if you think about it. Unless it’s something like object in area, and you’re setting different area’s or something similar.

-Thank you (again) Jerker, and whoever first discovered that trick.

A thread about this:
OMG!!! I Copied a Trigger! (well, trigger effect, but still...!)

Q58. How do you make a death message appear for a single unit that hasn't been created yet?

A58. Try using this type of trigger:

Trigger0
Display as Objective Yes/No
Starting State: Off (Activate when the unit is created.)
---------------------------------------------------------
Condition0: Timer 2 (just to be on the safe side)
Condition1: Own Fewer Objects - 0 (The unit must be unique to the player. Heroes work best.)
Effect0: Display Instructions - (Unit's Name): Comrades, I have been wounded.
(Or you can put something else of that nature.)

- Thanks, bleedteal.

A59. Sorry, but there is no possible way to do this. There is a tricky workaround, though:

Have the unit walk over to the garrison-able structure and have the player select the structure. Then, before removing the unit, place a king BEHIND the structure and have him garrison inside the structure. Then, remove the unit.

To un-garrison, have the player select the tower again, create the new unit (under different ownership), change its ownership, and remove the king from the tower. - DM

Q60. a) .bmp files to?

Q60. b) .rms files to?

Q60. c) .per / .ai files to?

Q60. d) .cpx / .cpn files to?

Q60. e) .scx / .scn files to?

Q60. f) .wav / .mp3 files to?

A60. a) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II

A60. b) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Random

A60. c) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\AI

A60. d) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\CAMPAIGN

A60. e) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Scenario

A60. f) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\SOUND\Scenario
Note: You may have trouble when using sounds in .wav format, as AoK supports most, but not all of the different .wav codecs. If you find that you have a .wav file that AoK doesn't recognize, use GoldWave to convert the .wav file into an mp3.

Thread -Thank you Anastasia

Q61. How do I prevent units from un-garrisoning at the beginning of the game?

A61.Sorry, but this is impossible, except for these instances contributed by Ana:

A) Unfortunately, we cannot task units with a trigger into buildings during game play (Transport Ship and Ram is possible).

B) The exceptions are the King unit, that does automatically seek to garrison inside a building, and Villagers will garrison when under attack.

C) Garrisoning units into buildings before test/play, and to *remain inside* during game play can only be done in the Player One Position and Gaia.

D) All other Computer Positions will eject or un-garrison units at the start of the game.

I tested the limits of this in the past, and this is what I recall from those tests.

1) Gaia Units garrisoned into Gaia buildings will un-garrison upon capture by Player One.

2) Player One Units will remain inside until manually un-garrisoned.

3) Changing Ownership of Player One to Allied Player Units inside P1 Buildings will not eject the Units (P1 Building with Allied Units inside).

4) Changing Ownership of Player One Building to Allied Building with P1 Units inside will not eject P1 Units (Allied Building with P1 Units inside).

5) All other circumstances seem to eject or un-garrison the units right away.

Thank you - Anastasia.

Q62. How do I keep wonders from changing ownership when a unit of a different player comes near it?

A62. You are probably using a Monument. Instead, use an actual wonder.
A thread on this.

A63. Go to the "Options" tab and disable the Dark Age technology for that player.

Q64. I was just working on my scenario for hours, and I forgot to save before I tested it. It crashed. Is there anything I can do to recover my work?

A64. Yes, there is. If you haven't tested any other scenario after this one , then it was automatically saved to the file called default0, in your scenario folder. Open the “default0” file, and you will find your work intact. Ensure you correct the reason why it crashed though.

Q65: Why don't lumberjacks etc. count as villagers for the "Objects in area" trigger?

A: The reason object in area is not working for all villagers, is due to the fact there are 16 different types of villagers. Selecting “Villager” from the “unit list” means object in area will only detect idle villagers (nothing assigned to them, eg lumberjack). The solution is simple, use the “Object group” list instead, and select “Civilian” from the drop down menu. This will detect all villagers.

Q66. How do I stop villagers' names from changing? I want it to be renamed "Bob" but it keeps changing when the player clicks on a tree. Help!

A66. Loop the trigger that renames the villager.

Q67. a) I downloaded a modpack and MPS crashed as it was uninstalling. How do I get rid of it?

A67 a). Reinstall AoK.

Q67 b) But I don't want to lose my scenario / campaign / saved game files!

A67. b) Don't worry, files are not lost upon reinstallation. If you are paranoid, then you can back up the AoE II directory somewhere.

Q68. Why can't I create or remove gaia "other" objects, with triggers?

A68. You can, but if you go back and look at the effect again after configuring it, it will reset (like the - sign). No work-around, besides "Don't select it.".

Note: This only applies for gaia units found under the "other" tab. Triggers that remove / create gaia units (or animals), heroes or buildings will work as normal.

Q69. How do I achieve the food trick? ( How do I make the player eat food until they reach 0, and die?

Sadly, in AoK "Accumulate Attribute - Food Stockpile - Quantity: 0" won't work to detect when the player is out of food, as the triggers fire when the player has 0 food or more. So, slightly more complex triggers are needed:

Trigger 1 (Have Food)
Display As Objective: No
Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Food - 1
Effect 1: Change Object Attack - 5
Effect 2: Activate Trigger 2

Trigger 2 (Loop to detect no food)
Effect 1: Activate Trigger 3
Effect 2: Activate Trigger 4

Trigger 3
Condition 1: Accumulate Attribute - Food - 1
Effect 1: Deactivate Trigger 3

Trigger 4
Effect 1: Set Object Attack (HERO UNIT) - -5
Effect 2: Activate Trigger 1
Effect 3: Deactivate Trigger 2

-Thanks, DB

A70. To make a unit that has no HP bar and is invincible, use this:

Trigger 0:
Display as Objective: Yes or No
Starting State: On or Off
--------------------------
Effect 0: Change Object HP - Quantity: - *units full HP*
Effect 1: Damage Object - Quantity: -70 - *units full HP*
Effect 2: Change Object HP - Quantity: 70 -*units full HP*
Effect 3: Damage Object - Quantity: - *units full HP*

So, if you were zombie-izing a champion, you would replace "*units full HP*" with 70, its full HP.

Also, scenario_t_c_ has found a way to do this to gaia units, who maximum HP canot be altered:

Trigger 1
Looping: on
Effect0 Damage object 2147483648
Effect1 Damage object 2147483648
Effect2 Damage object 2147483648
Effect3 Damage object 2147483648
Effect4 Damage object 2147483648
Effect5 Damage object 2147483648
Effect6 Damage object 2147483648
Effect7 Damage object 2147483648
Effect8 Damage object 2147483648
Effect9 Damage object 2147483648
Effect1023 Damage object 2147483648

P.S.: Should you don't want to set up such a large number(1024) of trigger effects, you can ask the help of "timer" and "looping" options.

Both methods will make the unit become invincible. (However, at some cases with the second solution, the unit or building won't have their hitpoint shown as 0/x.)

You may want to refer to Q57 to help you get that many effects. (Don't make them all, just make quite a few and put set them to looping enabled.

Thread.

Q71. How do I stop the computer players from automatically resigning after a few minutes of gameplay?

A71. To prevent the computer-controlled players from resigning, use Immobile Units AI Gold.

Note: To use an ai file, place it in your "AI" folder in your "Age of Empires II" directory. Now, go into the editor and click on the "Players" tab. Under "Personality" select the AI that you downloaded.

Also note that AIs work for both Age of Kings and Age Of Kings: The Conquerors, no matter what the blacksmith has marked it as.

Q72. How do I create sailable water on to elevated land?

A72. To get sail-able water on to elevation, you first have to make an area of water (just on flat ground), and a hill. Next, mapcopy (if you don't know how to mapcopy, check Q6) a part of the water on to the elevation. This may take a few tries, as you might accidentally cover the elevation completely. Once you have a little bit of water on a slope, simply copy it to wherever you want.

Q73. Is there a way to make units invincible without using a minus sign (-)?

A73. Yes, there is. To get the invincible unit effect without using a minus sign, use this trigger:

Let's say you wanted to make a champion with 70 HP invincible.

Trigger 1:
Looping: off
Effect 1: Change object HP 65466 (65536 - 70 = 65466)
Effect 2: Damage object 4294967226 (4294967296 - 70 = 4294967226)
Effect 3: Change object HP 70
Effect 4: Damage object 70

The bolded numbers have to be changed to affect different units. So, for a 40 HP villager, you would replace the 70s with 40s, and the trigger would look like this:

Trigger 2:
Looping: off
Effect 1: Change object HP 65496 (65536 - 40 = 65496)
Effect 2: Damage object 4294967256 (4294967296 - 40 = 4294967256)
Effect 3: Change object HP 40
Effect 4: Damage object 40

Thanks to scenario_t_c for discovering the trick.

Q74. So, I took a screenshot. How do I show it to other people?

A74. To show other people your work over the forums, you will have to upload it to a picture-hosting server like Image Shack, and provide a link to it.

Before you can do that, you must convert the image from .BMP to .jpg. Simple open the file with MSPaint and Click Save As. There will be a bar on the bottom of the Save window that says save as .BMP. Switch it to .jpg.

Q75. Is possible to make buildings walkable?

A75. Yes, the same way as cliffs. Mapcopy (if you are unfamiliar with mapcopying, see question 6) another building on to the one you want to be walkable, and remove it with triggers. You'll notice that you can't make the centre square of a building walkable, because you can't mapcopy on it, without erasing the original building.

Warning: Like walkable cliffs, walkable buildings become un-walkable after the game has been saved and reloaded. To work around this, warn the player not to save for a second or two and remove the building just before the player reaches it.

Q76. Can I get the beta wooden water-gates and walls on to terrains becides water?

A76. Normally, trying to place different terrains under the wooden gates cause the game to crash, so download this utility: Wooden Gate Template - Bug Fixed. And mapcopy (see question 6 if you are unaware of how to mapcopy) the gates into your scenarios, like beta units (see question 5).

Q77. How do I make a player/unit with no name (so it doesn't choose one if I leave it blank)?

A77. Simple, just type a space into the player/unit name box.

NON SCENARIO DESIGN RELATED QUESTIONS

Q n1. How can I quote / bold / fade / colour / ect. on the forums.

A n1. Use BBCode.

Also, take a look at this thread, by Flaming Arrow

Q n2. What do those abbreviations mean / stand for?

A n2. First of all, go to AoK Heaven's Abbreviations and Shorthand Guide This has a lot, but mainly strategy terminology. I'll give you the quick ones and SDing ones though:

a) SD => Scenario Designing

b) IMO / IMHO => In My Opinion / In My Humble Opinion

c) ATW - Against Thee Wickedly - Great teaser by Luke Gevaerts. Sadly, it will not be completed. Still worth the download, though.

d) BS -AoK Heaven BlackSmith.

e) CC - CrystalCrown - HG Cherub since June 16, 2003

f) IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

g) own / owned - an insult that is humiliating or argument-winning; "Man, I owned him over and over and he never gave up!"

h) pwn / pwnt - see own

LINKS

Immobile Units AI Gold - Extremely useful for idle units

Solution to renaming new units ~ and ~ Royal family idea - Nice work-arounds

Eye Candy Template by CheeZy_monkey - A lot of beta units, eye-candy, shoreless water, and map copy tricks. Excellent.

Laws of the Map Editor #7: Numerical Manipulation - How to use magic numbers and some other information.

All of the magical numbers in AOK:TC. - Very useful. All the magic numbers of AoK, and how to use.

Units Healing like a Hero without going over the MAX HP and using monk - like the title says. Nice discovery.

Invisible farm trick by Cknchaos - Very useful utility! Worth the d/l.

Abbreviations and Shorthand Guide - almost all of them.

Against Thee Wickedly - By Luke Gevaerts. Great teaser. Too bad it will never be finished.

AoK Heaven Blacksmith. - Quite important for all “SDers”. It's where you upload and download campaigns, utilities, mods, AIs, and RM.

Waterfall screenshot - a great example of the rushing waterfall.

Taunt to Trigg - Everything you need to know - Great article-thread! What the title says, "Everything you need to know".

OMG!!! I Copied a Trigger! (well, trigger effect, but still...!)

Thread on Keeping Wonders to a player's ownership.

Thread with zombie unit information - Includes scenario_t_c's discovery for invincible gaia units.

GoldWave - Useful audio editor. Can be used to convert .wav files with codecs that AoK doesn't support to mp3s.

Articles:

Trigger Tutorial- a must for all those that are new to scenario design. The perfect trigger tutorial.

Woad Creations - Nice site and team. Eye-candy and trigger articles.

SCN Punk Network - Great site and team. Many articles for AI, Mods and triggers.

Dragon Gaming Design Network Lots of articles for RM scripting, AIs, eye-candy, and triggers. Also, visit Sounds Central

The Tsuniversity - Great site with plenty of articles on AoK and other games. It is constantly updated and allows anyone to easily write and post their own articles.

Cliffed Waterfall article from above.- by dark_warrior_1_. Nice.

Neat Tricks I By Philip Dunscombe. Some of the less known tricks for AOK.

Laws of the Map Editor #8: Accumulate Attribute by CrystalCrown. Very nicely done series.

Your First Random Map Script - By Vauxhall. Great start-up article.

DGDN's RM Scripting Articles - All of them are by Vauxhall. Some advanced, and some beginner. Nice.

Item Lists by Ranger.

Patrolling Units By DW.

Wooden Gate Template - Bug Fixed - by Cesar. excellent utility

A Conclusive List Of Audio Tools by Luke Gevaerts

The Sound Files FAQ by Cesar

There are many answers to questions and complete articles and tutorials that can be found by using the search feature found at the bottom of the forum. By searching key words we can often find what we are looking for.

Thank you for taking the time to read this FAQ, hopefully it has answered your question(s), and/or helped you to become a better designer. Remember, if you have a question that is not covered here, spotted a mistake, or feel I am not crediting a given source correctly, please inform me at once.

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-07-2007 @ 05:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-26-04 09:14 AM CT (US)     631 / 1359  

Quote:

A46. Check out this article: "Taunt to Trigger", Dark_Warrior_1

I have an article on this at the AoKH University [/self-promotion]

___________Zero___________
I only wish I had wit.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Zero (edited 12-26-2004 @ 09:15 AM).]

posted 12-26-04 02:40 PM CT (US)     632 / 1359  
Sorry, for the next little bit there won't be any updating, 'cause I'm working on reorganization and html-ing.

What do you think of these categories?

Triggers  Questions

Q14. How do you set a unit to "Defensive" stance in the editor?
Q15. How do you set a unit to the "No Attack Stance" stance in the editor?
Q17. People say that I should put a unit belonging to Player 1 in an allied transport ship,
to avoid defeat during cut scenes. I cannot place a player 1 unit into an allied ship.
How do I do this?
Q16. I accidentally deleted the name of a trigger, and can’t seem to select it. How can I
select it again?
Q13. What is the maximum number for...
Q20. I can't select more than one unit with Change Object Name / Patrol / effect. How do
you do it?
Q25. How can I change the color of the text in the effect "Display Instructions”?
Q26. How can I make text red without having a "<" appear in front of the message?
Q39. How do I make 0-HP units? (Also: How do I make invincible units?)
Q42. How can I give the player resources without the message "GAIA tributed
<resources>to <player one>“?
Q57. Is it possible to copy triggers, trigger conditions and/or trigger effects?
If so, how's it done?
Q65: Why don't lumberjacks etc. count as villagers for the "Objects in area"
trigger?
Q68. Why can't I create or remove gaia objects, with triggers?
Q58. How do you make a death message appear for a single unit that hasn't been
created yet?
Q66. How do I stop villagers names from changing? i.e. I want it to be renamed
"Bob" but it keeps changing when the player clicks on a tree. Help!
Q69. How do I achieve the food trick? ( How do I make the player eat food until
they reach 0, and die?

Map Design Questions

Q30. I’ve placed some map revealers in the editor. How do I remove them?
Q37. How do you make palisade / stone / fortified walls with no big, flagged
corners/ends?
Q72. How do I get sailable water on to elevated land?
Q34. How do people get rid of that ugly sand where land hits water? (Also:
How do people get rid of that rigid edge where ice or snow hits water?)

Downloading From and Uploading To The Blacksmith

Q67. a) I downloaded a modpack and MPS crashed as it was uninstalling.
How do I get rid of it?
Q67 b) But I don't want to lose my scenario / campaign / saved game files!

AI / Random Map Scripting

Q54. Immobile Units AI / Gold / Advanced is not working for a certain player.
Why is this?
Q71. How do I stop the computer players from automatically resigning after a
few minutes of gameplay?

Editor Functions

Q18. How can I make my scenario's starting position over the character, not
over the transport in the corner?

Trouble Shooting

Q56. My map keeps freezing (crashing), and I'm not sure if it's due to triggers
or the map. Help!
Q62. How do I keep wonders from changing ownership when a unit of a
different player comes near it?
Q64. I was just working on my scenario for hours, and I forgot to save before
I tested it. It crashed. Is there anything I can do to recover my work?

Miscellaneous

Q11. Why does a percentage (%) appear instead of my unit's name, in the grey
info box?

AoKH Forum Questions

Q N1: How can I quote / bold / fade / color / etc. on the forums?
Q N2.What do those abbreviations mean / stand for?

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 12-26-04 03:08 PM CT (US)     633 / 1359  
Neat.

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
posted 12-26-04 06:01 PM CT (US)     634 / 1359  
arrgh

The anchors won't work.

posted 12-28-04 01:32 PM CT (US)     635 / 1359  
Add the invisible unit thingy that Jerky did that utility on.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 12-29-04 05:48 PM CT (US)     636 / 1359  
I tried using the search function but didn't come up with anything satisfactory. So I'll ask it here.

When I download a scenario/campaign, it comes in a zipped folder. Where should I extract the sound files to so that I can hear them during the scenario? I got lucky once, but on the next one I downloaded, it didn't work.

And where can I get the Decompiler?

©hewmen_zak
Winner of the 2004 AoKH Best Newbie Award
.:AoKH*RMT*BibleGateway*R.I.P. Shiva*Firefox*Arsenal FC:.
posted 12-29-04 06:07 PM CT (US)     637 / 1359  
Aok folder > Sounds > Scenario

Decompiler = http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/php/getfile.php3?type=Utilities&id=433

I only wish I had wit.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Zero (edited 12-29-2004 @ 06:11 PM).]

posted 12-30-04 03:03 AM CT (US)     638 / 1359  
I have a question. There are two methods of shoreless water right. One is the bridge one. The second is the farm one. Now, I didn't quite understand the farm method. Could someone help me?
posted 12-31-04 03:57 PM CT (US)     639 / 1359  
Thank you, zero.

@RoH: I'd love to help, but don't know how.

Could someone give me Woad Creation's website?

©hewmen_zak
posted 12-31-04 04:14 PM CT (US)     640 / 1359  
I'll give you a hint Zak: The Scenario Design Library

_____•--« ÑÅTHßÉRT »--•_____
•--«¯¯¯¯¯RIP Woad Creations, RIP Shiva.¯¯¯¯¯»--•
«==========‡==========»
posted 12-31-04 05:08 PM CT (US)     641 / 1359  
woadcreations.nl , Zak, happy to help.

@ RoH,
There are some great utilities at the blacksmith.

I only wish I had wit.
posted 12-31-04 05:14 PM CT (US)     642 / 1359  
Thanks zero. Btw, check your email and send me a reply.

When is Era going to be fixed? I wanna play Panic Room again... even though I totally hate that game.

©hewmen_zak
posted 01-13-05 03:38 AM CT (US)     643 / 1359  
Hey,guys,can you guys tell me conditions of background?
Like size,color etc.

Robbers requires money or life.
Woman requires both.
posted 01-14-05 05:45 PM CT (US)     644 / 1359  
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about hobo's site, you can view its source by going clicking View, and then Source if you are using Internet Explorer.
posted 01-15-05 09:25 PM CT (US)     645 / 1359  
For some reason, Advanced Immobile AI seems to not work for me. I remember reading somewhere that you need a certain amount of villagers or something for it to work. Could somebody please tell me what it is? Thanks.

I also downloaded cheesy monkey's eye candy template. But I don't know how to map copy his stuff into my scenario. Is it possible to use map copy between scenarios or is it done some other way?

And could you guys point out other helpful AI files and what they are used for? Anything you could contribute would be greatly appreciated.

©hewmen_zak
posted 01-15-05 09:33 PM CT (US)     646 / 1359  
It should work for you Zak. Do you mean for vils, though? The computer must have more than 1 vil for it to keep the vils still.

As for the map copy thing, you can map copy between scenarios.

I only wish I had wit.
posted 01-16-05 01:39 AM CT (US)     647 / 1359  
Lol, yeah Zero.

Huh, in my blindness I didn't seem to notice the period, but a question mark. Wow, I must be stoned.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[This message has been edited by Teh Shadow (edited 01-16-2005 @ 01:40 AM).]

posted 01-16-05 09:27 PM CT (US)     648 / 1359  

Quote:

For some reason, Advanced Immobile AI seems to not work for me. I remember reading somewhere that you need a certain amount of villagers or something for it to work.

In addition to Zero's advice we can also open the Advanced Immobile AI in Notepad and the instructions for villagers is inside the .per file. The instructions advise three villagers but like Zero stated it only needs two.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by AnastasiaKafka (edited 01-16-2005 @ 09:28 PM).]

posted 01-17-05 08:15 PM CT (US)     649 / 1359  
Thanks all. Also, what other AIs do you guys use on a normal basis?

©hewmen_zak
posted 01-17-05 09:27 PM CT (US)     650 / 1359  
1 military unit can keep all units still.

posted 01-17-05 10:03 PM CT (US)     651 / 1359  

Quote:

1 military unit can keep all units still.

No. Try it. Put as many military units as you like and one villager. The villager won't stay put.

I only wish I had wit.
posted 01-17-05 10:09 PM CT (US)     652 / 1359  
Didn't know that.

posted 01-18-05 04:49 PM CT (US)     653 / 1359  
It's time to edit Q57 (How to copy trigger effects/conditions). I made sure that this was not mentioned before in the OMG thread. You can use the "copy mode" with ANY EFFECT not just create object.

also, for step 3 of BJ's method, you DON"T have to select task object, just select the same effect as before. I tried this with change diplomacy, research technology, and even display instructions. Everything was retained in the effect even teh message to display. My theory is that if you set everything in a "task object" effect then delete it and select create object, everything will be the same but location will be the task object's location and not the area. Also, the area/objects will have no effect on the create object effect.

pi is 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706798214808651
posted 01-18-05 05:38 PM CT (US)     654 / 1359  

Quote:

It's time to edit Q57 (How to copy trigger effects/conditions). I made sure that this was not mentioned before in the OMG thread. You can use the "copy mode" with ANY EFFECT not just create object.

I'm not sure what you mean... he uses Create Object as an example and goes on and says how it can be used for other effects and conditions.

Quote:

also, for step 3 of BJ's method, you DON"T have to select task object, just select the same effect as before. I tried this with change diplomacy, research technology, and even display instructions. Everything was retained in the effect even teh message to display. My theory is that if you set everything in a "task object" effect then delete it and select create object, everything will be the same but location will be the task object's location and not the area. Also, the area/objects will have no effect on the create object effect.

Could you rephrase that, please?

posted 01-18-05 05:49 PM CT (US)     655 / 1359  

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean... he uses Create Object as an example and goes on and says how it can be used for other effects and conditions.

maybe for conditions but i didn't see anything on other effects so you might want to put that in

What was in A57:

Quote:

Step 1: Add all the effects you're going to use, plus one extra. (I clicked the create effect button twenty times for this test)

Step 2: Click the first effect in the list. From the drop down menu choose create object, and set your parameters. IE Units-Knight-Player 1. Now delete this effect. You will now automatically have the next effect selected.

Step 3: From the drop down menu choose task object. You shouldn't be able to see any of the options for this. Now click the drop down menu again and choose create object.

Step 4: Click the next effect and repeat step 3. Keep doing this until you've done all the effects. Then simply click back to each effect in turn, and you'll see all the parameters already set, IE Units-Knight-Player 1, all you need to do is set the location for each create object effect. Once you’ve finished the process, just click the create new trigger, and your back to “un-copy mode”

Another good point is: once in “copy mode” you can choose different things from the drop down menu, and the parameters will all ready be set IE Units-Knight-player 1. Very useful if you want to create a unit and change it’s attack and/or hp, you’ll just need to set the amount in the quantity box, and the area.

It also works for conditions. However, creating 20 or so identical conditions is not that useful if you think about it. Unless it’s something like object in area, and you’re setting different area’s or something similar.

oops sorry...just read that it was in there. Might want to put it in the last paragraph so that other people like me see it :P Also, change the i.e. to e.g. because it should be e.g. hahaha :P

as for rephrasing what i said, here's what i wanted you to change.

Quote:

You don't need the bold area. It should read: Click the drop down menu and choose create object (or if you wanted to edit teh entire step by step solution for me say "and choose the same effect as before")

Also, it transfers from one effect to a different effect. So say you set a change object attack effect, delete it, copy it a few times, then still in copy mode make an effect change object hp. As they have all of the same parameters, all will be set already but what i meant was taht even if they don't have the same parameters, all that ARE the same will carry.

If you don't think most people will get that then put it as an "Extra"

EDIT: I just tested my theory and it worked like a charm (although charms DO backfire occaisonally) but anyway I used send chat and play sound. I set the chat message, source player, and sound to play in send chat. I copied it twice then selected play sound instead of send chat. On the 4th trigger i went back to send chat. Every one of the send chats was identical and the play sound effect had everything the same except that there was no chat message (just like i predicted)

pi is 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706798214808651

[This message has been edited by Hamster1800 (edited 01-18-2005 @ 05:56 PM).]

posted 01-19-05 06:38 AM CT (US)     656 / 1359  
@Hamster and Hobo, that method of copying triggers is now obsolete. Just use Digit's AOKTS and you can copy all you want, even complete triggers.
posted 01-19-05 01:32 PM CT (US)     657 / 1359  
But does it still work?

M U S I C ! (& other random stuff)
posted 01-19-05 04:51 PM CT (US)     658 / 1359  

Quote:

@Hamster and Hobo, that method of copying triggers is now obsolete. Just use Digit's AOKTS and you can copy all you want, even complete triggers.

It's not obsolete until i make the code (for AOKTS) work for mac.

posted 01-20-05 04:17 AM CT (US)     659 / 1359  
Hi guys,I have question.

You know,in TTF,Gold is given as Rating,and At last,the player who has most gold wins.

At last,the player who has most gold wins.

How to do it?!

EDIT: I understand now.

Robbers requires money or life.
Woman requires both.

[This message has been edited by paladin_maker0 (edited 01-24-2005 @ 02:01 AM).]

posted 01-30-05 12:50 PM CT (US)     660 / 1359  
An extra piece of advice on Q72 (how to get sailable water on to elevation).

Awhile ago I found that by map-copying one tile on top of the hill onto the water, as opposed to the opposite mentioned by the fact, the water level will raise onto the newly created hill. Any direct elevation changes even remotely close will turn elevated water back to grass, but map-copy elevation changes will not affect the water. It is difficult and sometimes impossible to link the hill water with manually placed water. Proper setup can create mountain lakes or waterfalls as desired. I do not think this works after installing the patch.

[This message has been edited by Tare (edited 01-30-2005 @ 12:54 PM).]

posted 02-04-05 04:59 PM CT (US)     661 / 1359  
*Improves Tare's Advise*
Theres a beta Water that some ANX_Paradox(if memory serves me well) that had a shoreless water which cant be passed by land units and sailable, and bend with elevation, i mean, you can change its elevation as much as you can.

This means you can make Storm Waves in a sea scenario.

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 02-05-05 11:38 AM CT (US)     662 / 1359  
I have a problem. What means ''out of sinc''. Since I changed a few things in a map that I made, when I play online I get "out of sinc" message and the whole game closes down. What means it and how can I fix this?
posted 02-05-05 07:15 PM CT (US)     663 / 1359  
your computer and the other players computers do not agree on certain information and close aok.you might have to remove the offending data
posted 02-07-05 11:27 PM CT (US)     664 / 1359  
Question:

How do you play a recorded sound file in a scenario?

posted 02-08-05 11:49 AM CT (US)     665 / 1359  
There is a trigger effect called "Play Sounds". Put the sound file in the correct folder as described in Q60 of this FAQ. Personally I've experienced problems with sound files I've created, especially with MP3. I recommend to use Goldwave for editing sounds you've created. There are also many sound files in the Blacksmith and there are ones other people have used from scenarios they have played, which you may be able to use if you ask permission from the author.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 17 18 19 20 21 ··· 30 ··· 39  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Scenario Design FAQ
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames