Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Freezin' Up
posted 12-24-03 00:39 AM CT (US)   
I have a scenario that freeezes up whenever I try to test it. Any explinations as to how to fix this? I've been working on for a while, so any fixes would be appreciated.

| D A R C K R C D D |
Replies:
posted 12-24-03 00:45 AM CT (US)     1 / 19  
Wait a couple of second, it will start.
My scn have the same problem, dont worry, only be patient

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 12-24-03 01:43 AM CT (US)     2 / 19  
Hm, freezes? You sure you don't mean crashes to desktop?

Never had this happen before.

posted 12-24-03 01:48 AM CT (US)     3 / 19  
I've waited for 30 seconds, no luck.

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 12-24-03 02:04 AM CT (US)     4 / 19  
Wait longer. After all, patience is a virtue.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ T H E F R E A K O ________
· Proud Forumer of AOKH ·
posted 12-24-03 08:06 AM CT (US)     5 / 19  
How long should he wait...Till Christmas

This has happened to me on a few occasions, and not just on a single map. I've found re-installing generally solves the problem.

If it's only a single map that's doing it, then it's most likely a problem with the map. Turn off all the triggers, and test. If it still happens then it's a problem on the map. If it doesn't go through checking the triggers, make sure you're not tasking large numbers of units etc. If you can't find the trigger, turn them on one at a time until you find the culprit.

If it's a problem with the map and not the triggers, try this below.

1: when a game starts crashing, make a new file and name it differently, IE
"crash tester", this file is going to be butchered, so that's why we need it.

2 open this new file “crash tester” in the editor, and then generate a completely new blank map. Then test the game (don’t worry about triggers, these won’t be a problem. If the game still crashes, it's a problem with the triggers, which is another issue entirely. If the game doesn't crash then it's a problem with the map.

3 before anything else, map copy approx 1/4 of this blank map. We will be using this "copied" area to find the problem.

4 Reload the copy of the file "Crash testing" and map copy one quarter of the map, noting which area you map copy. Test the game, if it doesn't crash you've narrowed it down to this area. If it still crashes, load up "Crash testing" and map copy a different quarter until you find the area that is causing the problem.

5 Now you keep map copying smaller areas and testing each time. Keep doing this, loading up "Crash tester" each time, until you've narrowed it down to a manageable area. Then simply map copy over this area and rebuild the map to its original state. And finally reset any triggers that have been interfered with, paying special attention to destroy object triggers, these sometimes remain green even when the object has been removed.

Hope this has been some help, and not sent you to sleep reading it!

posted 12-24-03 01:24 PM CT (US)     6 / 19  
No, it does not crash. The game actually freezes up.

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 12-24-03 01:30 PM CT (US)     7 / 19  
Sounds like a serious lag problem. What's your map look like - lots of units?
posted 12-24-03 01:52 PM CT (US)     8 / 19  
Every little corner is ingulfed in complete anarchy.

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 12-24-03 02:47 PM CT (US)     9 / 19  
Huh ? If that's what i think it means, you just found your problem.
Nice tutorial BJ

Clayper
Team Mentor for AOKH Communal Campaign
Proud DGDN Member
posted 12-25-03 08:58 AM CT (US)     10 / 19  
What's your computer like? If you want you can send it my way and I'll have a look.
posted 12-25-03 01:04 PM CT (US)     11 / 19  
Berserker Jerker: Umm....maybe! That's still a virtue!

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ T H E F R E A K O ________
· Proud Forumer of AOKH ·
posted 12-25-03 11:20 PM CT (US)     12 / 19  
Alright Dark_Warrior_1_, my scenario is coming your way!

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 12-26-03 10:02 AM CT (US)     13 / 19  
*sees a new question for FAQ*

*dances*

"The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life." - Zappa
posted 12-26-03 04:34 PM CT (US)     14 / 19  
@DarckRedd, I appreciate it's not a crash, but the principle will work just the same, although if you have to restart your machine each time, it will be very time consuming, and most annoying to say the least.

Is it just this scenario, or are any others doing this?

Just a thought, but check the attributes on the Default0 file. I once re-installed backups of a scenario from disc, and forgot that these were changed to "Read only" including the Default0 file. Therefore the game engine couldn't overwrite the file, and hence the game kept freezing when I clicked test.

Hopefully DW will solve this, but if not send it my way, and I'll see if I can help.

posted 12-26-03 04:50 PM CT (US)     15 / 19  

Quote:

Hopefully DW will solve this, but if not send it my way, and I'll see if I can help.

Two heads are better than one.

Quote:

Alright Dark_Warrior_1_, my scenario is coming your way!

I didn't get the file. Have you sent already?

Edit: Nevermind, just got the file.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Warrior_1_ (edited 12-26-2003 @ 04:56 PM).]

posted 12-26-03 04:55 PM CT (US)     16 / 19  
DW that's very true.

DarckRedd another couple of points I've thought of:

Whenever the game crashes, it is possible for the data contained in the Gamedata.drs file to get corrupted. Simply re-installing the game will normally improve the situation.

Also from recent experience, I've discovered a link to the files saved in the windows temp folder, and scenario's crashing. I have no idea what the problem is, but emptying the windows temp folder (or moving to another folder so they can be restored if problems arise) usually fixes this type of problem.

posted 12-26-03 05:41 PM CT (US)     17 / 19  
I found your problem, DarckRedd.

First I isolated it to a problem with the map. After a few tests I realized it only froze after the "An enemy has built a wonder. 400 years remaining." or whatever the message is. When I deleted the wonder everything ran smoothly.

Delete the wonder and everything will work fine.

posted 12-26-03 06:10 PM CT (US)     18 / 19  
From what DW is reporting...it does seem to be as Berserker stated; a corrupt .drs files. When corrupted they notoriously cause AI errors for the Standard AI concerning 'Wonders.' So all could be related and a reinstall due.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
posted 12-27-03 00:46 AM CT (US)     19 / 19  
Thanks DW! And Anastasia, I didn't have reinstall, just had to delete the wonder, but thanks for helping anyway.

| D A R C K R C D D |

[This message has been edited by DarckRedd (edited 12-27-2003 @ 04:07 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Freezin' Up
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames