Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RMS Maps
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-04-06 03:25 PM CT (US)   
I would like to copy some interesting maps, made by RMS scripts, to a Scenario file.
Did anybody make this before?

I can imagine 2 possible ways:

1.- PC Memory.
Pausing the game at starting,
and reading the RAM memory, (or Video Memory, or whatever memory),
trying to find the Terrain Data, and Units Data.

- Is there any tool to make this?
- Is the Map Data stored in the same Scenario format style?
- If not, can it be adapted easily?

2.- Recorded Game File.
Again, pausing the game at starting, and saving the game.
So we can try to find the Map data in the recorded game file.

Following Bari's "mgx_format" Document, http://aocai.at.infoseek.co.jp/mgx_format.html,
I watch here a lot of Map data, spread all over the file.
Does anybody know what data stores the "Terrain", and "Units" information?

Replies:
posted 04-05-06 00:16 AM CT (US)     1 / 41  
It has never been done, and is likely never to be done, unless you are very good hacker. Your best bet is to insert the rms file into the same place as the offical maps are kept for the editor, but it may need to be in a different format and it is legally questionable.
posted 04-05-06 02:18 PM CT (US)     2 / 41  
Gaspar said:

Quote:

"Your best bet is to insert the rms file into the same place as the offical maps are kept for the editor"

Thank you, Gaspar.
The way you said works OK.

Even more, if we Hex-Editing the ID of any OBJECT ( in the official "random_map.def" file),
then we can get funny effects.

For instance: Generating "Yucatan Maps" with Sheep, Wolves, and Hawks, ( instead of Turkeys, Jaguars, and Macaws).

posted 04-06-06 02:56 AM CT (US)     3 / 41  
Hey Guys!
It's not legally questionable and no super hacker skills are needed as I have done it many times.

1. Find Folder:
Local Disk C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Data

Note: This assumes that the Local Disk is C, but there could be another drive letter designated.

2. Find File:
gamedata_x1.drs

Important Note: Make a backup copy of "gamedata_x1.drs" in \data

3. Open gamedata_x1.drs using Notepad or Word to edit.

4. Replace one of the standard RMS files in the gamedata_x1.drs with the desired working custom RMS file.

Note: I usually replace 'Team Islands' as it is the least used for single player RM.

5. Start Game and the new RMS should be available in Single Player and Editor by selecting the replaced name.

Note: Editing the "gamedata_x1.drs" this way can and often does cause an AI error for the 'Standard' AI. The error will denote a Wonder. This does not effect the game play if Standard or Conquest, but I suggest using other custom AI's set in the Editor for more of a challenge anyway. I've had it play without error but I don't know yet what is causing the error.

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-06-2006 @ 03:01 AM).]

posted 04-06-06 02:52 PM CT (US)     4 / 41  
Angel Anastasia said:

Quote:

Open gamedata_x1.drs using Notepad or Word to edit.
Replace one of the standard RMS files in the gamedata_x1.drs with the desired working custom RMS file.

Don't replace the RMS files with Notepad, or similar text editor,
because all files, stored in "gamedata_x1.drs" file, are addressed by offsets.

If you insert the RMS file in that way, then you are pushing up, or down, all the following files.
And the game program couldn't find the correctly file, when needed.

These are the files stored into the gamedata_x1.drs library:

gamedata_x1.drs

# include files
gam54000.bin=random_map.def
gam54101.bin=Std_resources.inc
gam54102.bin=Land_and_water_resources.inc
gam54103.bin=Land_resources.inc

Standard Random Maps
gam54201.bin=Arabia.rms
gam54202.bin=Archipelago.rms
gam54203.bin=Baltic.rms
gam54204.bin=Black_Forest.rms
gam54205.bin=Coastal.rms
gam54206.bin=Continental.rms
gam54207.bin=Crater_Lake.rms
gam54208.bin=Fortress.rms
gam54209.bin=Gold_Rush.rms
gam54210.bin=Highland.rms
gam54211.bin=Islands.rms
gam54212.bin=Mediterranean.rms
gam54213.bin=Migration.rms
gam54217.bin=Rivers.rms
gam54218.bin=Team_Islands.rms
gam54219.bin=Scandanavia.rms
gam54220.bin=Mongolia.rms
gam54221.bin=Yucatan.rms
gam54222.bin=Salt_Marsh.rms
gam54223.bin=Arena.rms
gam54225.bin=Oasis.rms
gam54226.bin=Ghost_Lake.rms
gam54227.bin=Nomad.rms

real world RMS maps
gam55001.bin=real_world_spain.rms
gam55002.bin=real_world_britain.rms
gam55003.bin=real_world_mideast.rms
gam55004.bin=real_world_texas.rms
gam55005.bin=real_world_italy.rms
gam55006.bin=real_world_caribbean.rms
gam55007.bin=real_world_france.rms
gam55008.bin=real_world_jutland.rms
gam55009.bin=real_world_nippon.rms
gam55010.bin=real_world_byzantium.rms

real world SCX maps
gam56001.bin=real_world_spain.scx
gam56002.bin=real_world_britain.scx
gam56003.bin=real_world_mideast.scx
gam56004.bin=real_world_texas.scx
gam56005.bin=real_world_italy.scx
gam56006.bin=real_world_caribbean.scx
gam56007.bin=real_world_france.scx
gam56008.bin=real_world_jutland.scx
gam56009.bin=real_world_nippon.scx
gam56010.bin=real_world_byzantium.scx

personality files
gam60001.bin=petersen rules.per
gam60002.bin=petersen deathmatch.per
gam60003.bin=petersen upgrades.per
gam60004.bin=petersen fishboat.per
gam60005.bin=petersen dip liar.per
gam60006.bin=petersen warboat.per
gam60007.bin=petersen supplement.per
gam60008.bin=petersen loads.per
gam60009.bin=petersen techs.per
gam60010.bin=petersen map loads.per
gam60011.bin=petersen civ loads.per
gam60012.bin=petersen tower.per
gam60013.bin=petersen diplomacy.per
gam60014.bin=petersen castle.per
gam60015.bin=petersen resign.per
gam60016.bin=petersen wonder.per
gam60017.bin=petersen market.per
gam60018.bin=petersen dip boomer.per
gam60019.bin=petersen gather.per
gam60020.bin=petersen dip feeder.per
gam60021.bin=petersen groups.per
gam60022.bin=petersen dip insult.per
gam60023.bin=petersen dip bully.per
gam60024.bin=petersen warboat island.per
gam60025.bin=petersen rush.per
gam60026.bin=randomgame.per
gam60027.bin=petersen constants.per
gam60028.bin=wonder rush.per
gam60029.bin=wonder kill.per

As you can see, the last files, (from gam60001.bin to 60029.bin), are the AI files of the game.
If you push them up or down, then the computer players can work wrong.

So, instead of using a Text Editor for replacing files,
you better use Stoyan Ratchev's DRSBUILD utility, or similar tool.

These tools update correctly the offsets of DRS files.

[This message has been edited by iberico (edited 04-16-2006 @ 03:16 PM).]

posted 04-06-06 11:18 PM CT (US)     5 / 41  
iberico:
Have it your way then...I'm always amused by someone who asks a question, and then upon receiving an answer becomes an instant expert on the subject. I can't verify your advice to use Stoyan Ratchev's DRSBUILD utility for AOE because I've never attempted that. If in fact the utility does work for AoK files (which I doubt) then you have found another way to place custom RMS generation in the Editor.

However, until you can confirm that Stoyan Ratchev's DRSBUILD utility works (through instructions or screenshots), if anyone else wants a custom RMS available in the 'Editor,' then the instruction I gave is a way to do it.

Here is an example of my placing Gaspar's TS@Rockies inside the Editor using the instructions I gave.

Editing the gamedata_x1.drs:

Note: I am replacing "Team Islands" as recommended.

Note: The TS@Rockies script pasted into the section that held the "Team Islands" script (replacing it).

Generating TS@Rockies in the Editor:

Note: I am selecting "Team Islands" in the Editor.

TS@Rockies in my Editor:

Note: Sweet isn't it? What a great starting point for a scenario map design!

TS@Rockies in play (with no errors):

Note: The Standard AI positions are working.

Moreover, it doesn't "push" anything, it replaces one standard RMS with one custom RMS. So, I would appreciate if you wouldn't advise others here not to follow my instructions, and instead share something of your own that actually works!

Everyone:
The instructions I gave here are to the best of my knowledge a viable way to have custom RMS generation inside your Editors. Since I can't account for all systems, game configurations, individual preferences, or other personal problems, I strongly suggest that you copy the gamedata_x1.drs before editing and back up your files.

[edit] Spelling of Gaspar's name.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-08-2006 @ 11:45 AM).]

posted 04-06-06 11:44 PM CT (US)     6 / 41  
@iberico
That was a little rude, considering AK took that time to explain it, and I think it works pretty well.

I am a little confused. How could say AK is wrong if you were the one asking how to do it?

Anyway AK, just in case I want "Team Islands" back, does it get restored if I re-install the game? It seems very useful, good job.

dannyking.me

posted 04-07-06 00:11 AM CT (US)     7 / 41  
Hey nI!
Yes, of course if we reinstall the game the "gamedata_x1.drs" will be restored, but it's not necessary...

That is, if we follow the instructions then we only need to delete the edited* gamedata_x1.drs, and rename the "Copy of gamedata_x1.drs" back to "gamedata_x1.drs."

posted 04-07-06 00:25 AM CT (US)     8 / 41  
Ahh. Must've missed that part, even though its common sense to make a back up. Thanks.

dannyking.me

posted 04-07-06 01:49 AM CT (US)     9 / 41  
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

Quoted from iberico:

Did anybody make this before?

Quoted from iberico:

I can imagine 2 possible ways

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

When we are trying to discover ways to achieve things inside a game for scenario design, we have to keep an open mind and not get stuck on our initial assumptions. Had I done that years ago when I wanted to place TS@Everglades in my Editor, I would have failed.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-07-2006 @ 01:50 AM).]

posted 04-07-06 05:00 PM CT (US)     10 / 41  
@ Angel Anastasia:

I think that you have misunderstood my last answer,
(or perhaps I missunderstood yours).

I was talking about your "NOTES" of your first post:

- "Note: I usually replace 'Team Islands' as it is the least used for single player RM."

- "Note: Editing the "gamedata_x1.drs" this way can and often does cause an AI error for the 'Standard' AI. The error will denote a Wonder. This does not effect the game play if Standard or Conquest, but I suggest using other custom AI's set in the Editor for more of a challenge anyway. I've had it play without error but I don't know yet what is causing the error."

And I was referring to those notes in my answer.

I was trying to explain you why you was getting that "AI Script Error" message, when playing Single Player games in your PC,
if you don't restore the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file.

And I was trying to tell you how to avoid it.

If you play with the "gamedata_x1.drs" file, edited with your system (NotePad), then:

a) You will get "AI Script errors" when playing Single Player games.
b) All the RMS maps, that are stored below "Team Islands" map script:
* will run badly in Single Player, or Map Editor ( no resources, or no Animals, or more strange effects)
* will get "Out of Sync" errors when playing Multiplayer Games.

So, that was the reason for suggesting a "DRS library Editor" for making the changes.

But, if you only use the modified "gamedata_x1.drs" file for creating new RMS maps in the Scenario Map Editor,
and later you restore the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file for playing,
then your system works OK.

Only one comment to your system:
If your custom RMS map hasn't got, at the beggining, this sentence:

# include_drs random_map.def 54000

then add it.
(If you run your RMS map, in the Map Editor, without this line,
the RMS map will only make the terrain, but not the units.)

By the way, your system doesn't work with my Notepad program.
For a strange reason, my Notepad fills all "0" bytes, with "spaces" (the number 32), crushing the game.
I tested that with Windows-2000 prof, and Windows-XP.
So, I was using an Hexadecimal Editor for testing your system.

P.S. Let's share information. This forum is for this, isn't it?

P.S.2 I beg your pardon, if my writting style was annoying you in any way.
It was not my purpose.

Greetings.

@ new idea:

Quote:

"...and I think it works pretty well."

Have you tested Anastasia´s system?
I have tested and it doesn't work all right, if you don't restore the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file for playing.

Quote:

"I am a little confused. How could say AK is wrong if you were the one asking how to do it?"

She said in her 1st post: "I've had it play without error but I don't know yet what is causing the error."
And as I have explained above, I was telling her why she was getting "AI script error messagges", and how to avoid it.

When I opened the topic, I didn't know that it was possible to use custom RMS maps in the Map Editor.
But I, and a group of friends, have been modifying before, the DRS files, (gamedata, sounds, interfac),
for playing with funny effects, in RMS Multiplayer maps.
At the beginning, we had the same errors, in Multiplayer Games, that Anastasia had in Single Player one's.
But, when we found the DRS editor mentioned above, those errors were fixed.

You can find other DRS Editor at the BlackSmith:
DRS Explorer 1.1

[This message has been edited by iberico (edited 04-08-2006 @ 04:39 AM).]

posted 04-07-06 07:07 PM CT (US)     11 / 41  
Hi iberico!
I didn't misunderstand at all. I gave answer to your topic and the question you asked here:

Quoted from topic post:

I would like to copy some interesting maps, made by RMS scripts, to a Scenario file. Did anybody make this before?

The instructions I gave work to make custom RMS into scenario files (.scx). So, there was no misunderstanding in that regard -- unless you expected me to read your mind?

Quote:

But, if you only use the modified "gamedata_x1.drs" file for creating new RMS maps in the Scenario Map Editor, and later you restore the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file for playing, then your system works OK.

Those are my instructions. Yes, I did give note to possible AI errors too, and I am aware of some of the other kinds of errors similar to the ones you mentioned that occurred only when I edited the gamedata_x1.drs for adding specific objects.

In the previous example (screenshots) where I have replaced Team Islands with TS@Rockies there is absolutely no errors. That is, there is no AI errors and no strange map errors on the other RMS above or below the replaced RMS Team Islands. So, I am experiencing no errors in Editor Test or Single Player. Also, I was never concerned for Multiplayer (MP) because I used the technique for placing custom RMS inside the editor, and since your question asked just that, I thought to share the technique.

Anyway, the fact that I don't have errors always, is why I theorize the errors (if and when they occur) to perhaps be resolvable by procedure or technique. I could be wrong, but then again your advice didn't actually resolve the errors or generate RMS in the Editor either.

Quote:

Only one comment to your system:
If your custom RMS map hasn't got, at the beginning, this sentence: # include_drs random_map.def 54000 then add it.
(If you run your RMS map, in the Map Editor, without this line, the RMS map will only make the terrain, but not the units.)

Had you made the comment above which is true and can be seen in my screenshots, you might have received a different reaction from me. Instead your first comments were at best misleading:

Quoted from your first comments:

Don't replace the RMS files with Notepad, or similar text editor, because all files, stored in "gamedata_x1.drs" file, are addressed by offsets. If you insert the RMS file in that way, then you are pushing up, or down, all the following files. And the game program couldn't find the correctly file, when needed.

Then there is this comment:

Quote:

I have tested and it doesn't work all right, if you don't restore the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file for playing.

I appreciate you "trying to tell me how to avoid errors" and your ideas seem logical. However, my instructions work to achieve what you asked in your topic. I don't mind being shown a better way, but I don't appreciate you casting doubt on the technique I shared. Furthermore the errors you are reporting are because you and your friends were modifying the different aspects and scripts, and playing MP and not just trying to generate custom RMS inside the Editor as was your question. The bottom line here is I have custom RMS generation in the Editor and you have links to drs editing programs.

OK, I agree that this forum is for discussing, and you have challenged my technique and attempted to cast doubt on it's viability. This is not a problem and it's not the first time I've been annoyed, so there is nothing for us to fear there.

Still, if you will allow me, I'd like to challenge your ideas in return, and ask for instructions on how to use the programs you mentioned and linked here to achieve custom RMS in the Editor. Screenshots would be nice too, and if you need help with it I will try to help.

Do you accept the challenge?

Quote:

He said in his 1st post:

Not that it's important but I am a she.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-08-2006 @ 07:36 AM).]

posted 04-07-06 07:17 PM CT (US)     12 / 41  
I know almost nothing about RM's so this might sound dumb, Ana. What parts do I copy out of the TS@Rockies RM file and put in the DRS file? Do I just copy all of the writing?

Btw, I did it(that thing ).

dannyking.me

posted 04-07-06 07:36 PM CT (US)     13 / 41  
Hi nI!
Check the screenshots (make sure you view them at their actual size so you can read them), and they will show you exactly where I cut (removed) the Team Islands script and what of Gaspar's TS@Rockies I placed.

Basically you are starting after the "# include_drs random_map.def 54000" as iberico pointed out and replacing from the first rule in TS@Rockies (cutting Gaspar's opening comments).

Excellent news! I look forward to your post.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-08-2006 @ 11:47 AM).]

posted 04-08-06 12:21 PM CT (US)     14 / 41  

Quote:

She said in her 1st post:

Hey iberico! Just an edit and no reply?

posted 04-09-06 05:40 AM CT (US)     15 / 41  
If all you want to do is replace an existing rms within the .drs file in order to create a base map for a .scx using notepad or any other text editor will work as Anastasia posted (oh and FYI if new script has same # of lines as original no error will occur)

However if you want to use a custom rms in single player (or multi if all players have same edited .drs file)a lot it's easier and safer (IMO) use a program like drs explorer to break the .drs file into individual .bin files, change the one/ones you want and rebuild the .drs. I have replaced original .rms with some twice as long without errors. What I did was rename original gamedata.drs to say gamedata.old add my new one as gamedata.drs, leaving both in the data sub-directory. Then I made a couple of .bat files that simply renamed which ever one I wanted to play to gamedata.drs and linked icons to these. This way I can play which ever when ever.

This has been my long winded way of saying you're both correct

Regardless of which method you use don't forget to.....BACKUP BEFORE EDITING!!!

Proud member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
Group: DGDN Staff Title: DGDN RMScripter
Download Seasons.rms
posted 04-09-06 09:30 AM CT (US)     16 / 41  
Hi Wizer!

I didn't doubt that there could be grander ways to edit the .drs for custom RMS generation in the editor. I questioned how someone could go from asking if it was possible to claiming my technique wasn't viable. My technique works. My challenge to iberico is to explain (instruct) how it's done using the drs editors or other programs. Maybe you can show us in more detail how it's done?

Also, please test the replacement of Team Islands with TS@Rockies example below because I think you will find that the # of lines not being the same, does not equal errors as you suggested. That is Team Islands and TS@Rockies do not have the same number of lines (Rockies is about 30% longer) and I am finding no errors. Maybe I'm missing something though.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-09-2006 @ 09:37 AM).]

posted 04-09-06 10:04 AM CT (US)     17 / 41  
This is very interesting. Excuse my first remarks, it seems I stumbled on the right solution but added a lot of unnecessary comments due to ignorance.
posted 04-09-06 11:39 AM CT (US)     18 / 41  
Hey Gaspar!
Yes, your initial guess was the same as the technique I described (uncomplicated). I thought iberico was on to something too about avoiding errors by editing the .bin files. Replacing your RMS doesn't seem to cause any errors...In the past I've edited the .drs for specific objects and aspects and one interesting error was elevated shallows on the salt marsh map.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-09-2006 @ 11:41 AM).]

posted 04-10-06 03:58 AM CT (US)     19 / 41  
hehe, nice one.

For the reasons Iberico listed (problems with ai) i never edited the gamedata that way. ok, and also never thought much more about it,

just: "ah, would be nice to do it"

never thought of just use it to create the map actually -

thats so easy !!! Must try it.

i like simple solutions

[This message has been edited by Doktor Mabuse (edited 04-10-2006 @ 03:59 AM).]

posted 04-10-06 04:46 PM CT (US)     20 / 41  
Haha, oh well. It's not really that useful to me, seeing as I create all my maps from scratch anyways.
posted 04-11-06 05:35 AM CT (US)     21 / 41  
Hi Ana!

Quote:

I didn't doubt that there could be grander ways to edit the .drs for custom RMS generation in the editor.

I never doubted you for a minute

Quote:

I questioned how someone could go from asking if it was possible to claiming my technique wasn't viable.

Yeah, I saw that, just thought you had covered that quite well and didn't see a need to add my 2 cents worth.

Quote:

Maybe you can show us in more detail how it's done?

How detailed? I used Drs Explorer (in blacksmith utilities) to breakdown Gamedata_x1.drs into .bin files. RMScripts are found in gam54000.bin through gam55010.bin (base maps for real world are in gam56001.bin - gam56010.bin these are .scx and are land only {*edit: TCs and in some a Gaia Wonder are placed with these} (gam55001.bin - gam55010.bin contain .rms parts for real world, (for example gam55001.bin and gam56001.bin go together to form Spain))(AI parts are: gam60001.bin through gam60029.bin). I choose the one I want to replace, say gam54218.bin (Team Islands) and open it with my hexeditor (I use hexman for this because it has a script editor which makes things easier for me ), I then replace it with custom .rms and save. Rebuild the .drs file and your done, with this method I have not had any errors (provided it was a working .rms to begin with), although a few of my ahh crazier scripts have crashed the game . But those weren't 'normal' maps. I hope that was clear, if not let me know.

If there's enough interest I could make a tutorial.

Quote:

Also, please test the replacement of Team Islands with TS@Rockies example below because I think you will find that the # of lines not being the same, does not equal errors as you suggested. That is Team Islands and TS@Rockies do not have the same number of lines (Rockies is about 30% longer) and I am finding no errors. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Ok Ana I'll do that using your method, I've learned a bit since I used that method perhaps I did somthing I don't remember. The errors I got had to do with ai (IIRC something like ai error line xxxxx player#). Since the .rms portion is before .per section, in the .drs, extra lines in a .rms would move .per section to a higher starting line. I figured that was the source of the ai error and started looking for another method.

Quote:

It's not really that useful to me, seeing as I create all my maps from scratch anyways.

You could make a very basic script to make a map which might save a little time/work.

Download Seasons.rms

[This message has been edited by Wizer (edited 04-13-2006 @ 06:17 AM).]

posted 04-11-06 05:47 PM CT (US)     22 / 41  
@ Angel Anastasia

Hello,
here I have left some instructions for editing "gamedata" with a DRS editor.

It has no mystery. Just follow your own instructions, but changing the RMS maps with a DRS library Editor, instead of using a Text Editor.

I have tried to e_mail them to you, but my e_mail doesn't understand with yours (an AI script error?).

I'm not very good explaining things, (as you have seen in my answers).
So, please, feel free to add screenshots, or adding/deleting/changing whatever you want,
or re-writing it with better grammar.
Adding some of this to your instructions, perhaps can make a more complete tutorial.
Thanks in advance.

Peace.

P.S.
May I ask you a question?
I have watched, in your Editor screenshot, that you have got the "King of the Hill" option, in the "Random Map location" window.

I'm using "The Conqueros Expansion" 1.0c patch, and I haven't got this option.
What Conquerors' versions have got this option available?

EDITING THE CONSTANTS

iberico said:

Quote:

if we Hex-Editing the ID of any OBJECT ( in the official "random_map.def" file),
then we can get funny effects.

For instance: Generating "Yucatan Maps" with Sheep, Wolves, and Hawks, ( instead of Turkeys, Jaguars, and Macaws).

I want to explain this a little.
- We know now that the Map Editor uses the same RMS maps than in Single Player mode.
- And we know now that these RMS maps use a "table of constants" for getting the Id of Objects,
(the mysterious instrucction: #include_drs random_map.def 54000, at the beginning of the RMS scripts).

- This table of constants is the first file stored in "gamedata_x1.drs" (or gamedata.drs, if AoK).
It is called "random_map.def" by the program.
We can read it with a Text Editor, or Hexadecimal Editor.

- If we change the numbers of the constants, we can force the RMS Maps to draw other things.

- Here it is an example of these changes:
Objective:
We want to force all the RMS Maps for drawing only MesoAmerican animals.
/* GAIA */

#const MACAW 816
#const TURKEY 833
#const JAGUAR 812
(these are the MesoAmerican animals)

#const HAWK 96
#const SHEEP 594
#const WOLF 12
(these are the common animals for most maps)

#const WOLF 812
(we have changed the ID numbers of the common animals, with the ID numbers of MesoAmerican animals)

- Now, when generating a RMS map, with this "modified" gamedata_x1.drs file, all animals will be Macaws, Turkeys, and Jaguars.

- We can also change terrain types, (not only Object Types).

- So, we have got now, with this system, more combinations of different RMS Maps:
(Maps with only SnowPineTress, or only Ice, or only Grass,...)

Note:
- When modifying "gamedata" files, it is very important trying to keep the length of the file, (no adding or deleting any byte).
- If we need to delete a number, then we will fill its hole with a "space".
- And if we need to add a number, then we will use the previous space.
- Making these changes with an Hexadecimal Editor seems a good option.
- Remember to make a back up copy before editing.

[This message has been edited by iberico (edited 04-13-2006 @ 10:45 AM).]

posted 04-13-06 07:08 AM CT (US)     23 / 41  
@iberico What would be gained by editing random_map.def in the way you discribe? Sorry I just don't see a point, other then change for the sake of change.

Quote:

When modifying "gamedata" files, it is very important trying to keep the length of the file, (no adding or deleting any byte).

but in your instructions for editing random_map.def you added 2 extra numbers

In adding/replacing .rms within .drs I've increased (& decreased) length of .drs with no problems.

Download Seasons.rms
posted 04-13-06 07:19 AM CT (US)     24 / 41  
Hi iberico and Wizer!
Thanks for the instructions, and explanations! I'm pressed for time right now as I'm off to work...I'll read the posts carefully when I get home.

To answer one question quickly...the version I use is b patch (non c patch).

posted 04-13-06 10:56 AM CT (US)     25 / 41  
Hi, Wizer:

Quote:

Sorry I just don't see a point, other then change for the sake of change.

It's only a feature of the game, for RMS maps.
Perhaps one day can be useful for making a previous special atmosphere, in a scenario, using RMS maps.

Quote:

but in your instructions for editing random_map.def you added 2 extra numbers

Next 2 sentences explained it:
- If we need to delete a number, then we will fill its hole with a "space".
- And if we need to add a number, then we will use the previous "space".

The original "HAWK" sentence is written with these letters:
#const(2 spaces)HAWK(12 spaces)96(Enter)

If we change 96 number, with 816 number, then we use one previous space for filling the "8" number.

Then, the sentence will be now:
#const(2 spaces)HAWK(11 spaces)816(Enter)

Greetings

posted 04-14-06 07:52 AM CT (US)     26 / 41  
Excellent tutorial iberico! Although I wasn't able to make the technique work you have certainly met my challenge.

So, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Do I have to use the DRS Explorer, and edit the gamedata_x1.drs using WordPad?

Is there a specific way to save the modified custom RMS to.bin using WordPad?

Anyway, I tried replacing two custom RMS and they do not seem to be added to the gamedata_x1.drs at all. That is, after following your instructions I still have TS@Rockies where Team Islands used to be and Crater Lake stayed the same. Hopefully, we can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Here are the screenshots:

Anyway, I think we are moving towards better instructions for the technique of RMS generation in the editor.

Hey Wizer!
Yes, I do think you should make a tutorial with your described method, and perhaps to work together with iberico so he can complete his tutorial too.

posted 04-15-06 01:12 PM CT (US)     27 / 41  
@ Angel Anastasia:

Hello,

Quote:

It seems that it was a bad idea calling DRS Exlorer: "DRS Editor".
It doesn't edit DRS libraries. And perhaps this name is confusing you a little.

DRS libraries are "packs" of files.
And DRS Explorer only Extract/Insert/Delete those files from DRS libraries.
Perhaps it would be better call it as a "DRS libraries manager", instead of "DRS editor".

We will edit our "Custom" RMS maps, with a Text Editor like WordPad, (or with an Hex-editor, as Wizer suggested).

Unfortunately the files, packed into DRS libraries, use "numerical" names, instead of their "real" names.
So we need to rename them, before adding/replacing them with DRS Explorer.
This "renaming" operation can be made:
- with the Text Editor (like WordPad) while "Saving as",
- or with the Hex-editor while "Saving as",
- or with the Explorer, of the Operative System, (right-click & "rename as").

Quote:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

- Your screenshots show a correct sequence, for replacing "Team_Islands.rms" (gam54218.bin),
and "Crater_Lake.rms" (gam54207.bin).
- So, I can not imagine what are you doing wrong.
The problems must be in other steps.

posted 04-15-06 02:54 PM CT (US)     28 / 41  

Quoted from iberico:

Perhaps one day can be useful for making a previous special atmosphere, in a scenario, using RMS maps.

Ok I follow you, make sort of a 'theme' .drs, right? Doesn't appeal to me really but some folks might like it.

Quote:

Next 2 sentences explained it

I was just being a smartass, or maybe a dumbass since I didn't read the rest

Quote:

with an Hex-editor, as Wizer suggested

I only use Hexman for opening .bin files. Within Hexman there's a developer tool 'script editor' which is a texteditor (kinda). After opening .bin with hexman starting script editor brings up just text, select all and then replace with custom script. Save it and your done.

btw for making my custom .rms files I use Textpad 4, mainly because of it's color coding which makes finding typos easier.

Quote:

No, you don't have to edit .drs directly, just the .bin files.

Quote:

I tried replacing two custom RMS and they do not seem to be added to the gamedata_x1.drs at all.

I haven't yet read ibericos' tutorial completely so I may be missing something here, but are you adding an edited .bin file or just a .rms renamed?

I'm out of time right now, will refresh my memory with DRS Explorer and get back later.

Download Seasons.rms

[This message has been edited by Wizer (edited 04-16-2006 @ 02:23 AM).]

posted 04-16-06 00:06 AM CT (US)     29 / 41  
Hi Guys!

Because of the way the Forums refresh in my browser, I didn't notice the replies.

OK, I haven't tried anything else since my last post.

Quoted from Wizer:

are you adding an edited .bin file or just a .rms renamed?

Quoted from iberico:

Unfortunately the files, packed into DRS libraries, use "numerical" names, instead of their "real" names.
So we need to rename them, before adding/replacing them with DRS Explorer.
This "renaming" operation can be made:
- with the Text Editor (like WordPad) while "Saving as",
- or with the Hex-editor while "Saving as",
- or with the Explorer, of the Operative System, (right-click & "rename as").

Quote:

Your screenshots show a correct sequence, for replacing "Team_Islands.rms" (gam54218.bin),
and "Crater_Lake.rms" (gam54207.bin).

Just to recap on the sequence I used;

I opened custom RMS in the Random folder with WordPad.

I added the needed rule: #include_drs random_map.def 54000 just above the player set up for ES@Prarie custom RMS. (I also attempted to insert it without removing the title after it failed just for good measure.)

I saved the custom RM scripts with added rule as gam54218.bin and gam54207.bin respectively using "Save as"

Anyway, I think I might have to unistall and reinstall the DRS Explorer Program because I forgot it needed Stoyan's program too. Following the instructions I was only given the link to the one program.

Only after did I think to install the other and therefore I've installed them out of logical sequence, and that could be the cause of my problems.

I'll let you know if that fixes it asap.

posted 04-16-06 04:03 AM CT (US)     30 / 41  
@ Angel Anastasia.

Hello, again.

Quote:

Anyway, I think I might have to unistall and reinstall the DRS Explorer Program because I forgot it needed Stoyan's program too.
Following the instructions I was only given the link to the one program.

- You only need to install DRS Explorer.
The zip file comes with Stoyan Ratchevs' DRSBUILD, and both tools are installed by the setup wizard.

Quote:

Just to recap on the sequence I used

- That sequence is the same I use.
I save the "gamxxxxx.bin" files in the DATA subfolder of the game.
But they can be save also in RANDOM sub-folder, because you can find them with the DRS Explorer browser.
I still don't understand where can be the problem :-(

P.S. Are you using the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file, for the replacing operation?
Or are you using a modified one?

[This message has been edited by iberico (edited 04-16-2006 @ 04:07 AM).]

posted 04-16-06 04:29 AM CT (US)     31 / 41  
Hi Ana, iberico

Ok, I've refreshed my memory of DRS Explorer, and found out I was causing more work for myself by using a hexeditor, it just never occured to me to just change the extension when I first started messing around with this, and I've been in a rut ever since. Using Textpad (though should work with most text editors) create or edit your .rms file, then simply save as gamxxxxx.bin (as iberico has posted). If you just want to change an existing map, instead of replacing it, use DRS Explorer to extract 1 or more (iberico posted a list earlier in this thread or use *.* to extract all). Change .bin extension to .txt or what ever (I use .wiz ) and open in your editor of choice. After changes have been made save as above, then use DRS Explorer to import it into .drs

Quoted from Angel Anastasia:

I saved the custom RM scripts with added rule as gam54218.bin and gam54207.bin respectively using "Save as"

I replaced gam54218.bin with TS@Rockies.rms and gam54207.bin with ES@Sherwood Forest.rms using same steps as you, except I used Textpad instead of wordpad (shouldn't matter I don't think, but I'll check it out later), and it works.

Quoted from iberico:

gam54001.bin = random_map.def

should be gam54000.bin

@iberico
While I was refreshing my memory with DRS Explorer, I looked at several old edited .bin files. One of them was gam54000.bin (random_map.def), my changes to this file increased its' size from 19kb to 22kb, since I couldn't remember whether or not it worked I imported it to gamedata_x1.drs.

I also imported an edited gam54207.bin (crater_lake replaced with ES@sherwood_Forest.rms) & gam54218 (Team_Islands replaced with TS@Rockies.rms). The file size difference was 3kb for 54000 (19kb original - 22kb) 6kb for 54207 (7kb original - 13kb), 3kb for 54218 (14kb original - 17kb) which increases gamedata_x1.drs to 934 kb (from 923 kb original)(discrepancy in totals due to windows rounding).

It works in both scenerio editor and single player. Only problem I noticed is there seemed to be some lag when generating edited Team_Islands map in scenerio editor, but single player map seemed same as before editing.

If anyone is interested in testing this I can send edited .drs (unless this would be a violation).

Download Seasons.rms
posted 04-16-06 07:41 AM CT (US)     32 / 41  
Hey Guys!

I did it!

Quoted from iberico:

P.S. Are you using the original "gamedata_x1.drs" file, for the replacing operation?
Or are you using a modified one?

Quoted from my previous post:

I still have TS@Rockies where Team Islands used to be and Crater Lake stayed the same. Hopefully, we can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I was using the "gamedata_x1.drs" that I modified to have TS@Rockies, and when I switched back to the original everything worked as expected.

So, that may be a note needed in the tutorial.

OK, just a question and concern for the link in the tutorial to the DRS Explorer program.

Iberico:
Does the DRS Explorer program by Roe have the DRS Builder by Ratchevs packaged with it?

Because if not, you will need the links to both programs in the tutorial.

Now I have some additional screenshots, plus the ones below that can be used or not to enhance the tutorial. The thing I don't like about using those is that my system always gives the .rms files a Real Player icon. Try as I might to change the icon it always reverts back to that. *laughs* Am I alone in thinking Real Player a virus?? Anyway as soon as I get my new ISP, I can get rid of Real Player...for the tutorial if additional screens are desired I suggest someone who doesn't have that problem to take the screenshots.

Here is the free screen capture I use: http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

Here is the free image host I use: http://xs.to/

Wizer:
I'll try the files you have. It's ok to share modified files or Mods as long as we are not seeking files that are already on the CD, and not sharing modified files for the purpose of cheating in a multiplayer game. For instance in my excitement I forgot to copy/save my original gamedata_x1.drs this time so I will have to reinstall to get that back. What an idiot I am! Still, I can try the Mods you have if you send them.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-16-2006 @ 07:55 AM).]

posted 04-16-06 08:04 AM CT (US)     33 / 41  
Topola!

I also want to determine what of a custom RMS can be saved this way using DRS Explorer. That is, when I edited the "gamedata_x1.drs" by hand I used to clip all the text above the player set up, and leave the title (i.e. TEAM ISLANDS), inserting the rule: #include_drs random_map.def 54000 in-between.

I didn't do this though for the one that worked recently, and instead just placed #include_drs random_map.def 54000 above the player set up.

So my guess is that my original way was not needed. What are your thoughts on this?

posted 04-16-06 04:21 PM CT (US)     34 / 41  
@ Wizer
Hello, Wizer.

Quote:

If you just want to change an existing map, instead of replacing it, use DRS Explorer.....

Oh, good!
This option hadn't been explained before in the topic.
It must be added to the tutorial too.!

Quote:

gam54001.bin = random_map.def... should be gam54000.bin

Oops, sorry!
Thank you for reporting it. Fixed it.

Quote:

If anyone is interested in testing this, I can send edited .drs

Yes, I can try to test it. You can e_mail it also to me.

@ Angel Anastasia

Quote:

I did it!

Wonderful!
I was starting to think that this alternate way only worked for me.
As I told you before, feel free adding some of this to your instructions, making a more complete tutorial.
Congratulations!, and thank you for the links.

Quote:

Does the DRS Explorer program by Roe have the DRS Builder by Ratchevs packaged with it?

Yes, it is packaged with it. You can find it in the folder of DRS explorer:
- drsbuild.exe
- drsbuild.txt
- drsfmt.txt
These are the files of DRSBUILD.

Quote:

what of a custom RMS can be saved this way using DRS Explorer?

I think the 2 ways are possible. Both systems would work.

posted 04-16-06 10:12 PM CT (US)     35 / 41  
Heya!

Quote:

I think the 2 ways are possible. Both systems would work.

Yes thanks, but just inserting the #include_drs random_map.def 54000 above the player set up is easiest...so the reason for the question.

I'm a little pressed for time right now, but I will return.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » RMS Maps
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames