Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Slave Revolt
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
posted 05-03-06 09:24 PM CT (US)   
THE SLAVE REVOLT : A CAMPAIGN BY BIHSTING

The story is set in Roman times. It was common practice for those captured in war to remain as slaves for Rome. Live the lives of slaves as they attempt to revolt against the great Roman Empire.

The slaves live in the (fictional) city of Nemausus, animpenetrable fortress. When the slaves of the city (aided by the disgruntled city guards) revolt, they find themselves in control of a huge, well-guarded metropolis. Join them as they fight off the Romans, who must now lay siege to their own, impregnable city.

Enter the power struggle between the slaves, Marcus and Quintus, the leaders that emerge after the revolt, whose opposing views drive them to eventual conflict. Can the slaves create their own city-state? Will the slaves find alliances with barbarian tribesmen who share a common contempt for Rome? Can the Romans retake their city? These answers are coming soon . . .

Campaign Outline

Prologue: The Peninsula Wars: Highlights the pre-slave days of Marcus and Quintus. Shows how they were captured, and sets the stage for the rest of the scenario. (Completed, awaiting feedback)

Scenario 1: The Slave Revolt: Two Slaves Marcus and Quintus organize and uprising against their oppressive Roman masters. When they take control of the city, they find them being attacked from the angered Romans. (Completed, awaiting feedback)

Scenario 2: King of the Huns: After a dispute, Marcus is exiled from Nemausus. He finds the Huns and allies himself with them, as they have a common hatred for Rome. To prove his allegiance, Marcus must prove himself in battle. Meanwhile, Quintus and his men are razing outlying Roman villages, and prepare for huge assault on Rome. At the end of the scenario, the Huns mobilize and organize a massive siege on Nemausus. (Completed, awaiting feedback)

Scenario 3: The Siege of Nemausus: Marcus infiltrates the city under disguise, and plans to unite the City Guards under the Huns. He must first assasinate all the guards who are loyal to Quintus. When that is done, Attila and Marcus organize their massive army ouside the thick walls of Nemausus. They begin the attack, and manage to take out one of the gates. After the destruction of Quintus's stronghold, the Western Roman Empire dispatches their massive army in an attempt to reclaim the city. Who will be victorious on the field of battle? (Completed, awaiting feedback)

Epilogue: Rain: After the fierce battle, Marcus and Attila must regroup and organize all of the survivors, so the city can be rebuilt. (Completed, first half will be available for playtest soon, second half will not be released until the final version of the campaign has been sent to the blacksmith.)

Screenshots

Prologue: The Peninsula Wars:

The Slave Revolt:

King of the Huns:

The Siege of Nemausus:

Nemausus Mapshot (post-siege):

----------NEWS----------

6/5/06: Prologue: The Penisula Wars released, Sound Pack released
See playtesting files below.

6/18/06: Epilogue: Rain Released!
Link found below.

6/21/06: NEWS UPDATE: MORE TO DO . . .
Turns out, I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I've been getting some feedback recently, and I've been noticing a lot of flaws in my scenarios. I will make an ALPHA version 2, featuring all of these bug fixes and the such. Naturally, I've added a few more things to the to do list. I'm off to the Editor, so new versions will be up in a day or two (or six /JK). Anywho, I'm off!

PLAYTESTING FILES
Full Campaign
The Slave Revolt (full campaign): Alpha Version 2.2 (up to date)

Sound Files
Sound Pack 1.1 (up to date...goes with Alpha version 2.x)

Scenario Instruction BMPS

ACTIVE PLAYTESTERS:
1. The_Slayer90 (Given feedback for scn P, 1 and 2)
2. Mashek331 (Given feedback for scn P, 1, 2, 3, E) {No Longer Active}
3. Boosh (Given feedback for scn 1, and 2)
4. Dantares VI (Given feedback for P and 1)
5. Reaper_93 (Given feedback for P, 1, 2, 3)
6. Super_Cell_51 (awating feedback)

To Do (Before FINAL release)
- Create a Roman General Boss battle at the end of 'The Siege of Nemausus.'
- Make certain hero units invincible during cutscenes.
- Revamp 'KOTH'
- Fix the diplomacy bug in 'TSR'
- Vary Tower HP using difficulty settings.
- Run a final test of my own.
- Get feedback for ALPHA 2.0 version.

Submit suggestions, questions, comments, or requests to playtest below.

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
... I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 07-29-2006 @ 02:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-03-06 09:30 PM CT (US)     1 / 391  
Marcus and Quintus are not names of slaves, but roman names. Romans didn't took other romans slaves.
posted 05-03-06 09:33 PM CT (US)     2 / 391  
Marcus and Quintus are Roman names given to them by their owners.

EDIT: Any suggestions for names?

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 05-03-2006 @ 09:34 PM).]

posted 05-03-06 09:34 PM CT (US)     3 / 391  
Uh... dunno.

It depends on the slaves' place of origin. Romans took slaves from wars, and they made war with everyone...

posted 05-03-06 09:38 PM CT (US)     4 / 391  
The slaves are from the mediterrenean, so their names may have been close to Roman names.

Anyway, would you like to playtest, I'll send it to you once I complete the current stage I'm working on.

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
posted 05-03-06 10:02 PM CT (US)     5 / 391  
Romans are damned bloodthirsty.
posted 05-03-06 10:18 PM CT (US)     6 / 391  
This looks really interesting. I can't playtest right now though, sorry .

me
posted 05-03-06 10:23 PM CT (US)     7 / 391  
Clarification on Roman names:

Roman names for citizens came in packs of 3. Let's take a look at this name:

Lucius Caecilius Iucundus

Lucius, (c's are hard, like k's, in Latin) is his praenomen, his first name. Caecilius is his immediate family's name (nomen),Iucundus is his cognomen. Let's say that Caecilius has a son, who he has decided to name Quintus. That son's name would be Quintus Caecilius Iucundus. If Caecilius had a daughter, his daughter's name, by tradition, would be the feminine version of her father's name. Her name would be Lucia, unless he wanted to name her specially. Let's look at some other Roman Praenomen:

Marcus
Lucius
Gaius
Gnaeus
Felix (special grammar rules)
Clemens
Claudius
Appius
Decimus
Publius
Secundus
Servius
Sextus
Spurius (negative connotations "of illegitimate birth")
Tertius
Tiberius
Titus
Rufus
etc...

We can take any one of these names and make it feminine as well. Claudius would be come Claudia, Lucius = Lucia, Marcus = Marcia, Rufus = Rufilla, etc...

Slave names are much easier. A slave would be named during capture, the slavery process, or when bought. That slave would have only their praenomen, or first name. If they were set free by their masters, a slave would gain the middle and last names of their masters. For example. Felix is a slave of Lucius Caecilius Iucundus. Say, for example, he saved a baby from being stolen, so his master decides to set him free. Felix would now be known as Felix Caecilius Iucundus.

If you would like more information or help, feel free to consult me. My e-mail is: boosh at kbuch dot com

EDIT:
This concerns the "guards" who are fighting alongside the slaves. In all historical sense, this would not happen. Unless the guards felt a strong tie to the slave community, something I rather doubt, they would be fighting to get out and help the Roman army. Garrisoned soldiers in Rome were also a local police force, and therefore, very hostile to slaves as was the law. If a slave was a witness in any form of case, that slave was tortured in accordance with the law to make sure they got an "accurate" confession. The people who did this? Why, it was the local garrison. The slaves would not ally themselves with the very people who threaten their lives. Nor would the guards. Furthermore, the peoples are so separate, the guards consider themselves very above the slaves. Superiority complex? Yes, the Romans had a big one. Allying with slaves would just be considered an insult. Even if the combat was for a good purpose, the unit of soldiers would be disbanded and imprisoned for even suggesting it.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
-Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Boosh (edited 05-04-2006 @ 07:03 AM).]

posted 05-03-06 10:50 PM CT (US)     8 / 391  
I'll playtest- Therunnerking90@yahoo.com
posted 05-04-06 03:08 AM CT (US)     9 / 391  
This sounds great. The names are great too, just keep them that way regardless of historical inaccuracies. You never know, maybe people did have those names, regardless of what "the so called" history books say. The people who wrote those books weren't there, and neither were we. Have what names you please.
posted 05-04-06 09:49 PM CT (US)     10 / 391  
Ok, I have sent out the playtest version 1. It highlights the start of the revolt of the slaves, introduces our characters, and sets the stage. Included is the initial slave revolt, followed by battle preparation, and a first, small battle with the Romans. I have sent a copy to The_Slayer90, if anyone else wants to playtest, just post your email here and I will send it to you ASAP.

EDIT: As for the guards, they play a more complex role later on, for now they will be left as is.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 05-04-2006 @ 09:52 PM).]

posted 05-04-06 09:53 PM CT (US)     11 / 391  
@ BIHSting,
I dunno if you sent it yet, nut I havn't got it. Did you spell my email address right. There's a link in my sig.

EDIT: nvmnd I just got it.

[This message has been edited by The_Slayer90 (edited 05-04-2006 @ 09:55 PM).]

posted 05-05-06 09:27 PM CT (US)     12 / 391  
What did you think?

posted 05-05-06 09:30 PM CT (US)     13 / 391  
I thought it was really good and captivating. I will send a more detailed report soon. Although I loved the storyline.
posted 05-06-06 01:01 AM CT (US)     14 / 391  
Anyone else want to playtest Version 1?

posted 05-06-06 01:15 AM CT (US)     15 / 391  
Slaves weren't given Roman names. There were specific names for slaves that were given by masters, such as Ciro.

Blah!
posted 05-06-06 11:25 AM CT (US)     16 / 391  
Sounds cool, I'll playtest kfish2oo2@hotmail.com

Call it "The Slave Revolt" in the topic line and i'll get it.

"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
                            Kfish2oo2
                      -*'`^"^`'*- =~
    '*-=~+,._.,+                      `^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 05-06-06 12:19 PM CT (US)     17 / 391  
"Slaves weren't given Roman names. There were specific names for slaves that were given by masters, such as Ciro."

What would you mean by Roman names? I explained that already. Romans had 3 names, the mark of an outsider or slave was one name. Yes, some slaves had inventive names, like Grumio, but slaves could be named anything. There was no hard and fast law saying slaves could only have specific names.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
-Gandalf
posted 05-06-06 12:32 PM CT (US)     18 / 391  
c'mon leave him alone. This is his campaign, he can do whatever he wants no matter what he says. Who cares about names. I personally don't. What matters to me is the gameplay or the plot. This is a very fun campaign and i enjoyed it very much.

@ BIHSting I'll try to post a more detailed report. As of the moment I'm very busy.

posted 05-06-06 12:37 PM CT (US)     19 / 391  
Thanks slayer, no problem.

I have sent version 1 to you, kfish2oo2 I will be sending version 2 soon, with more of the plot development.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 05-06-2006 @ 01:12 PM).]

posted 05-07-06 08:59 AM CT (US)     20 / 391  
Just played it.
Very good job, nicely done. There are a few minor points though:
1) When you have to train the militia in front of the blacksmith, well that takes far too long. Perhaps it can be done in groups of 10?
2) Resources: There arent enough. The farms are fine (except you have to build your own mill. Maybe convert the mill which is already there to player 1?) Stone is more than enough, but there is no gold. You need gold to build the archers, monks and to upgrade to Imp. Age. You need to start the player with more wood too, in order to maintain the farms.

The balance is spot on so far. Your advice about surounding the enemy is perfect. I tried to win the battle in a frontal assault but that proves near impossible.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next installment!

Kfish2oo2
                      -*'`^"^`'*- =~
posted 05-07-06 12:40 PM CT (US)     21 / 391  
Hmm, the mill should get converted on it's own. As for resources, yes, I will be adding some more, but you are supposed to use the abundant stone and trade it for gold and buy other resources at the market. All that will be changed in the next installment.

The militia, I still am not sure what I will do for them. It takes a while, but if i make the training space too large, it may interfere with buildings the player builds. I'm not sure, but something will be done for that in version 2, or 3.

The opening revolt will be larger, too. I will add more militia so the player doesn't drop below 75, but I will also add some more slave owners, to make it more difficult.

Version 2 allows you to take control of the guards, too, during the second battle, which will involve the Romans attacking the walls of Nemausus.

I am about 80% done with version 2. Only things I have to finish are the final scene in the scenario and the militia and blacksmith issue. I hope to release one more version of this scenario and start the next one.

posted 05-07-06 02:43 PM CT (US)     22 / 391  
Playtest version 2 has been sent to kfish2oo2 and The_Slayer90. Please post comments, and/or suggestions after you test it.

Anyone else who wants to playtest will get the most recent version. Just post your e-mail if you want to playtest.

posted 05-07-06 03:39 PM CT (US)     23 / 391  
kfish took the words out of my mouth. all of the things he said, I would have said.
posted 05-08-06 07:54 PM CT (US)     24 / 391  
I've got a question. Should I divide the storyline into seperate scenarios, or should I keep it all in one scenario? get back at me on this one.

PS: How did version 2 go, Slayer and kfish?

posted 05-08-06 08:50 PM CT (US)     25 / 391  
sry. havn't been able to play version 2 yet. I'm soo heaped getting ready for finals. I will as soon as possible. Just wanted to let you know that this has a lot of potential, and I can see this becoming a great success. You just might want to add some music and sounds to it. If you don't have any I can give you some. Just email me asking for some and tell me what kinds you need. I'll test version 2 as soon as possible.
posted 05-08-06 09:20 PM CT (US)     26 / 391  
Sounds, havent thought of that one yet. Good idea though. Can someone tell me where i can find;

Battle Music
Wilderness sounds
Uplifting, revolutionary music
Generic Town Music
Anything Else you think will go well with this theme

Also, will someone be willing to narrate the scenario (just the parts where the narrator is describing the events). This would be a great finishing touch.

posted 05-08-06 09:37 PM CT (US)     27 / 391  
Like I said. Email me and i'll send you what sounds and music I have. Just let me know in the message again. Then I'll go through my music and see. sound good?
posted 05-08-06 10:36 PM CT (US)     28 / 391  
Too bad... I took the music I uploaded to my temporary website off after you downloaded it, slayer. At least you can email it to him.

EDIT: What units are you using for this, BIHSting? There are no Roman ones, so are you using men-at-arms or something? Or are you using a modpack?

Blah!

[This message has been edited by spartan2 (edited 05-08-2006 @ 10:38 PM).]

posted 05-09-06 08:36 AM CT (US)     29 / 391  
@ Spartan
Yeah I was thinking of sending him those. And in aswer to your question, he is using man at arms and longswordsmen for the infantry with some halberdiers.

EDIT: @ BIHStind
I might be able to do the narrating, but my friend is borrowing my mic so i'll ask him to give it back for a while.

[This message has been edited by The_Slayer90 (edited 05-09-2006 @ 08:38 AM).]

posted 05-09-06 02:37 PM CT (US)     30 / 391  
Hey sorry BIHSting, haven't playtested yet, I've just discovered the joys of Wings 3D and have been a bit distracted. Will playtest tonight.

Kfish2oo2
                      -*'`^"^`'*- =~
posted 05-09-06 04:01 PM CT (US)     31 / 391  
BIHSting... now there's a name I haven't seen in SD for quite some time...
posted 05-09-06 06:38 PM CT (US)     32 / 391  
No, I won't be using a modpack for this, I figure the real creativity is making a project with what the editor gives you.

@Slayer: If you can do the narrating, then record the white text only. I don't want any of the characters to be recorded.

I can send playtest version 2 to any willing playtesters!

Quoted from Oliver:

BIHSting... now there's a name I haven't seen in SD for quite some time...

Yep I'm back after a loooonng absence.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 05-09-2006 @ 06:41 PM).]

posted 05-09-06 09:07 PM CT (US)     33 / 391  
I'll try, but infortunatly my friend needs my mic. How soon do you need it?
posted 05-09-06 09:14 PM CT (US)     34 / 391  
Take your time.

By the way, how was version 2? Any thing I need to work on?

posted 05-09-06 09:37 PM CT (US)     35 / 391  
Let me go through it one more time. I don't usually pay attention the firs time I play something. I'll try to send the sounds soon.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Slave Revolt
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames