You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Optional, optional, optional, optional, and again I say optional!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-27-08 02:36 PM CT (US)   
I was writing part of a story for a game I'm making when, as I selected the hints section, I read this: "Click to type the hints text for thies scenario (optional)"

I then checked Scenario instructions, and it did not have the optional. Then victory, then loss, then history, then scout, and they all had optional. I mean, how stupid is that?

Hints, loss, and scouts makes sense to me for being optional, but no victory message is ridiculous, and no history would make a game boring.

So if I wrote a top notch, nearly perfect Scenario Instructions, a person could score me absolutely no lower than a five.

Did anyone else realize this?!

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
Replies:
posted 05-27-08 02:40 PM CT (US)     1 / 46  
I'm not trying to rile you up, but way to make a thread about something that's completely inconsequential.

Honestly Dantares, I don't know how you do it, but you can take the slightest thing and make it offend you. :3
posted 05-27-08 02:45 PM CT (US)     2 / 46  
Don't be so picky Dantares

I noticed it long ago, but I never bothered caring about it. I decide myself if my scenario needs hints, history etc, a word in parenthesis doesn't make me change my mind, and I don't believe it makes anyone with a will of his own to reconsider adding a history section.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 05-27-08 03:50 PM CT (US)     3 / 46  
Next thing you know it will be "Oh no, I broke a nail!". Then we will find out that Dantares is actually female, and spoilt at home and has spread his bratty attitude to others.

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro
posted 05-27-08 03:59 PM CT (US)     4 / 46  
but no victory message is ridiculous, and no history would make a game boring.
You can have a victory message and history in-game.

Just make it so when whatever happens for a victory make it so a message is given and then activate a trigger which has a timer on it which declares victory.

[This message has been edited by JuBuOrangie (edited 05-27-2008 @ 04:03 PM).]

posted 05-27-08 04:18 PM CT (US)     5 / 46  
JubuOrangie, you miss the entire point of this lulzy-ass thread.
posted 05-27-08 04:46 PM CT (US)     6 / 46  
Hey, Dantares posted a thread

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 05-27-08 05:16 PM CT (US)     7 / 46  
I'm not trying to rile you up, but way to make a thread about something that's completely inconsequential.
And I have no intention of riling back.

Inconsequential?! You are deeply mistaken. Do you realize how simple it is to get a five for Story/Instructions? A piece of cake. I only have to fill out ONE of the SIX boxes to get a 5. That's big to me.
Don't be so picky Dantares
I'm not. I'm glad to find this out. If anyone ever lowers my Story/instructions score for any reason except for misspellings, or other stuff related to Scenario instructions, I can throw the book at him.
Next thing you know it will be "Oh no, I broke a nail!". Then we will find out that Dantares is actually female, and spoilt at home and has spread his bratty attitude to others.
You say that and I'll kill you. *Waggs finger*
JubuOrangie, you miss the entire point of this lulzy-*** thread.
Yes, you do.
Hey, Dantares posted a thread
lol, been a while hasn't it?

And colo says, "Not long enough."

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 05-27-08 06:50 PM CT (US)     8 / 46  
I have to agree, Dantares. Just because someone doesn't post in the other areas doesn't mean things can't be deducted for that. No victory/loss message could be scored lower because the story didn't 'feel complete'. No hints could have score deducted because the person didn't know how to play, etc.

But I don't think it really should be required for a 5.

me
posted 05-27-08 08:10 PM CT (US)     9 / 46  
I now know why Colo and Dantares haven't been flaming each other.
I've given DantaresIV a warning for attacks at Colo; any further dealings with Colo in any heated manner will result in a one week banning, etc.
I've given Colosseum a warning for attacks at DantaresIV; any further dealings with DantaresIV in any heated manner will result in a one week banning, etc.

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios
posted 05-27-08 08:58 PM CT (US)     10 / 46  
Do you realize how simple it is to get a five for Story/Instructions? A piece of cake. I only have to fill out ONE of the SIX boxes to get a 5.
Really? I thought if the story was good enough, and that's according to the opinion of the reviewer, that it'd get a 5?
posted 05-27-08 09:12 PM CT (US)     11 / 46  
You're not right on, but you're close to the truth.
Just because someone doesn't post in the other areas doesn't mean things can't be deducted for that. No victory/loss message could be scored lower because the story didn't 'feel complete'. No hints could have score deducted because the person didn't know how to play, etc.
I wish you were right, but if you deducted for that, the person could just wave the optional message in your face, and your review would be edited, or removed.
Really? I thought if the story was good enough, and that's according to the opinion of the reviewer, that it'd get a 5?
If the story is something of the quality of, for example, Ingo's games instructions, but every other word is a misspell, I'm not giving a 5.

But the fact is, you only have to fill out one of the six spaces, and that is just not right.

posted 05-27-08 09:36 PM CT (US)     12 / 46  
How long before this gets locked?

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 05-27-08 10:00 PM CT (US)     13 / 46  
I think you have a point Dantares. I think the reviews might be a bit too lenient on the message sections.
IMO, the default score for a bare bones story should be an automatic 3 instead of an automatic 4...
Some people put a lot of work into the history sections.
posted 05-27-08 10:11 PM CT (US)     14 / 46  
Are you trying to say that when ES made AOE II they were thinking of HG and the ratings on here?

Why does it matter if it says optional?
posted 05-27-08 10:30 PM CT (US)     15 / 46  
It means that the already outdated reviewing rules have another issue to deal with.
How long before this gets locked?
Most people SHOULD know this:

If I ask to have it closed.

If a flame war breaks out.

If the thread's purpose is corrupted with some other topic.

If the thread has served its purpose.

there may be a few others, but those are the big ones.

Glad you agree with me rex.

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 05-27-2008 @ 10:30 PM).]

posted 05-27-08 10:56 PM CT (US)     16 / 46  
If the thread's purpose is corrupted with some other topic.
There's that word again. :3
Way to go, Detective Dipshit, you figured it out! Too bad my first reply is hardly different from what I would have posted had I not received a warning from Mashek.
posted 05-27-08 11:30 PM CT (US)     17 / 46  
You might be on to something. Dantares does sound like someone with perpetual PMS.
posted 05-28-08 01:03 AM CT (US)     18 / 46  
This is a really pointless thread, the reason it says 'optional' because hints and scouts are OPTIONAL to fill in. I dont see the urge to make a thread about it then just to attract a flame war.

~Quotes from the Heart~

"Get off my lawn"-Clint eastwood
"My name is Bill Clinton and im about to get laid" -Bill
"Spartans! Its time...to stomp the yard!"-Leonidas
"When you get hit by a Longbow, it will probably hurt, bad"-George Bush

[This message has been edited by LongBowHurtsBad (edited 05-28-2008 @ 01:03 AM).]

posted 05-28-08 01:24 AM CT (US)     19 / 46  
This is a really pointless thread, the reason it says 'optional' because hints and scouts are OPTIONAL to fill in. I dont see the urge to make a thread about it then just to attract a flame war.
qft
posted 05-28-08 03:30 AM CT (US)     20 / 46  

Nothing against the mental disabled people, but I just thought this picture was fitting with Dantares posting a thread and all.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 05-28-08 04:23 AM CT (US)     21 / 46  
Nothing against the mental disabled people, but I just thought this picture was fitting with Dantares posting a thread and all.
Your image is so offensive. Just think if you were born retarded, wouldnt you hate the guy who posted this image?
Hints, loss, and scouts makes sense to me for being optional, but no victory message is ridiculous, and no history would make a game boring.
Victory message makes sense to be optional. Why do you want the designer to write a 'para' of what happened after the scenario, if he doesnt want. I rather finish the victory message in the end of the scenario before a 'you are victorious' message comes.
posted 05-28-08 06:37 AM CT (US)     22 / 46  
John, you're not retarded so there's nothing you should be worried about.

Does anyone else here find it funny how when Dantares quoted part of one of Colosseum's messages he astericked the word 'ass' even though it wasn't blocked by the word filter?

By the way, to get a four is easy. To get a five in story/instructions is hard. Only the best stories tend to get a five to be honest, and filling out all these categories isn't really neccessary. I mean, for great cutscenes, sometimes they might just say "Set settings to such and such and enjoy the show", and they get a five because the cutscenes' story is so good and not what is on the text parts.

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro
posted 05-28-08 06:47 AM CT (US)     23 / 46  
Hmm. For complaining Basse made an excellent Complaint-box at the Towns Crier....

Cilibinarii
My AOK Maps
posted 05-28-08 09:18 AM CT (US)     24 / 46  
I did?
That's like telling a white person they shouldn't worry about racism, except racism directed towards whites. ¬_¬

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 05-28-08 09:35 AM CT (US)     25 / 46  
Answer (Lord Basse):
That's like telling a white person they shouldn't worry about racism, except racism directed towards whites
posted 05-28-08 09:40 AM CT (US)     26 / 46  
Good God, Dantares, just stop posting. Seriously, everytime you make a thread it just descends into this mindless spamming and idiotic flaming.
posted 05-28-08 10:18 AM CT (US)     27 / 46  
Every time Dantares posts a thread, God kills a kitten.

Think of the kittens.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 05-28-08 10:50 AM CT (US)     28 / 46  
I then checked Scenario instructions, and it did not have the optional. Then victory, then loss, then history, then scout, and they all had optional. I mean, how stupid is that?
Ten bucks says it's a left-over from the alpha or beta stages, where the non-optional fields were likely forced fields (instead of everything being optional as it is in the final release).

And yes, all fields are technically optional (the game functions just fine without them), stop your bitching.
Next-generation campaigns will feature slideshows, which means all standard custom scenario effects will go out the window.

And yes, contrary to you most of us have embraced the modern techniques, stop your bitching.
So if I wrote a top notch, nearly perfect Scenario Instructions, a person could score me absolutely no lower than a five.
You can't spell worth shit, which means you'll never score a 5. Stop your bitching.

Also, what Basse quoted.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 05-28-08 03:06 PM CT (US)     29 / 46  
You didn't read a thing I said. it's not just Hints and Scouts, it includes History, Victory, and loss also.
but I just thought this picture was fitting with Dantares posting a thread and all.
Now I understand why you and Lord Fadawah were banned for a week.
Your image is so offensive. Just think if you were born retarded, wouldnt you hate the guy who posted this image?
I would be very offended.
Does anyone else here find it funny how when Dantares quoted part of one of Colosseum's messages he astericked the word 'ass' even though it wasn't blocked by the word filter?
I personaly astrixed it out. And the supposed filter, as far as I have ever seen, only will remove the "F" word.
Good God, Dantares, just stop posting.
I will decide if I want to post on MY thread or not. If that's all you have to say, that's just fine. You now have my permission to leave the thread.

The same would go for you on your thread.

Luke: Were you seriously a mod? The way you swear and the way you insult makes me unable to believe you were a mod?

posted 05-28-08 03:14 PM CT (US)     30 / 46  
Yeah, he was a mod. A pretty good, fair mod too if I can remember correctly. This was back before you could even wipe your own asshole, so you wouldn't know a damned thing about Luke being a moderator, and whether or not he was good or bad at it.
posted 05-28-08 03:16 PM CT (US)     31 / 46  
Dantares, you're just out to pick a fight. I suggest you do that in Town's Crier, and let this place be.

And since this thread doesn't have a topic anyway, why don't we all try out the Bush-McCain challenge

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 05-28-08 03:17 PM CT (US)     32 / 46  
Bush-McCain-Reagan '08.

That's where it's at.

Edit: Let me quantify this: that website is sponsored by none other than MoveOn.org, the same entity that ran the "General Betray-Us" ad in the New York Times. Enough said.

[This message has been edited by Colosseum (edited 05-28-2008 @ 03:20 PM).]

posted 05-28-08 03:28 PM CT (US)     33 / 46  
Mods need not be always slaving around. I've had a HG mod tell me to, quote, "f*** off" (asterisks added for topic hosts pleasure).

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 05-28-08 06:02 PM CT (US)     34 / 46  
Lol, Dantares still popular as ever.
posted 05-28-08 07:23 PM CT (US)     35 / 46  
Luke: Were you seriously a mod? The way you swear and the way you insult makes me unable to believe you were a mod?
It ain't all rainbows and honey, sugar. If you can't deal with someone like me, you're not fit to be a mod. I can, so I am.

Lot of kids used to steal your lunch money, huh? Your whole attitude just screams "bully food". Just 'cuz you so badly want a police state where little worms like you might exercise a form of power you would otherwise never attain, doesn't mean it's actually gonna work like that.

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH

[This message has been edited by Luke Gevaerts (edited 05-28-2008 @ 07:28 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Optional, optional, optional, optional, and again I say optional!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames