Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Sixth Annual AoKH Screenshot Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 09-20-08 02:44 AM CT (US)   
The Sixth Annual AoKH Screenshot Competition

I am extremely proud to announce the sixth annual Screenshot Competition 2008. In the absence of zyxomma100, I, Thunder77, will be hosting the competition this year. Besides a few rule modifications, this competition will be hosted pretty much the same as zyxomma's last competition. As zyx said, I expect as good of a turn out as the last five years. Or else. *glare*

Overview

This competition is very simple. All I do is give you a few vague topics, and you do your best to take a tasteful screenshot that fits best to the category the screenshot will be submitted to. You may enter in any amount of categories, from only one to every one of them. The screenshots will then be judged (see below), then I will announce the winners. If I were a moderator, I'd probaby issue some form of cool reward, but I'm not. Winners only recieve respect and self esteem, and good SD practice.

Rules
Mainly Cut-and-Pasted

• The deadline this year has been extended to November 2nd, 2008 at 11:59pm forum time (EST).
  • The contest is open to all designers. No sign ups are required; simply send your completed screenshots and I will consider them part of the contest.
  • Any submition must be from your own works, whether created for this contest or not. For example, only bleedteal, as the creator, would be allowed to submit a screenshot from Truly Countless Bodies. If you wish to send in a picture from a multiplayer game, you must have been one of the participants. Anyone who is caught stealing work from another designer will be banned from this year's competition. Not that it's ever been a problem.
  • A designer may enter any number of categories, and should feel free to enter any or all that they wish to compete in. Only one screenshot per designer per category will be accepted.
  • All graphics from the screenshot must come from in-game elements. BETA units, in-game text, and even the cursor are fair game if you feel they can improve your screenshot. Pictures can be taken from any aspect of AoK, whether they are from the map editor or a multiplayer game.
  • Graphical changes, such as most Modpacks, of any kind are disallowed.
  • The use of AoKTS and GeniEd2 is allowed, with no limitations. I really hate to say this, but I fear riots if I make any other rule regarding this.
  • You are allowed some leeway on where a screenshot goes. For example, a snowy town scene could be submitted into the Best Winter Scene or the Best Town Scene category. It's your call as the designer.
  • Cropping your image and adding text anywhere on the shot is allowed, but any other photoshop / paint edits are not allowed. This includes the cropping of the top toolbar and the unit selection / minimap bar at the bottom. This is the only rule which was modified. Previously, cropping out the toolbars was not encouraged unless needed.

Screenshot Submission

• Screenshots must be converted to .jpg or .gif format. I highly suggest .gif. Any entries I receive in .bmp format will be converted into .jpg format by me using Paint. This is not a good thing for you. The same goes for any .jpg files I receive with ridiculous filesizes. You have been warned.
  • You are not limited to sending in all of your screenshots at once, and you can edit or redo any shot that you have done. Just toss me some more e-mails, and I will make sure that they get placed where you want them.
  • Be sure you place your forum name somewhere in the e-mail. There isn't much worse than getting an entry and not knowing who sent it. Similarly, make sure I know which category your pictures should be placed in. A file naming system of noideaforest.gif or oliverfunniest.gif is recommended.
  • Send your screenshots to Scud's e-mail address: alex_scudman2004(at)hotmail.com. Please make the title "AOKH Screenshot Competition -- [Yourname]" or something like that, as it makes it easier on me.

Judging

Screenshots will be judged based on a total (but unlikely) score of 200 points.

50 points: Awarded by the judges panel.
    150 points: Awarded as voted by your peers.

The judging will commmence immediately after the deadline, and will be done in two separate but simultaneous parts.

Part I will be done by the judges panel, consisting of Scud and I. We will be judging for the top 5 spots per category, with 50 points being given to our first place pick, 40 to our second place pick, on down to 10 points for fifth place.

We will be judging on two things;
    -Appeal: Basically, did we like the screenshot? Yes, this is subjective. Live with it.
    -Professionality: Did you take the time to make sure your screenshot was clean? Undesigned corners, accidentally selected units, unit outlines, etc. can all hurt you here.

Part II will be a week-long process, and will begin as soon as all the screenshots can be posted. During this week, any member of the forum may vote on their one favorite screenshot per category. The 100 points are divided equally among the number of votes. For example, if 10 people voted for a category, each vote would be worth 10 points (100/10).

There are only a few rules on voting: (edited a little)
  • You may not vote for a category in which you participated.
  • Voting will be done by posting them in this thread.
  • If you wish them to be private for some reason, just say so in the thread and shoot me an email with your name in the subject containing your votes.
  • Private ballots should be sent to andre3000rox@msn.com.

If it sounds complicated, it sort of is. But it ensures that if the community truly disagrees with the judges, that the results can certainly be swayed.

Basically, the judges can award a screenshot up to 50 points, with another 150 possible points coming from votes by the community. For anyone needing an example of how judging works, refer to this post.

Categories

• Small Town Scene
  • Large City Scene
  • Forest Scene
  • Winter Scene
  • Naval Scene
  • Battle Scene
  • Funniest Screenshot
  • Best Use of GeniEd2

That's all for now. Good luck to everyone who enters!

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 10-27-2008 @ 10:52 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 09-20-08 02:47 AM CT (US)     1 / 99  
    First post reserved for future use.
    posted 09-20-08 03:33 AM CT (US)     2 / 99  
    The use of AoKTS and GeniEd2 is allowed, with no limitations
    Mistake, in my opinion. That's already the rule with the CSC, the attraction of this contest was that it was "old school".

I will probably still enter though.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    posted 09-20-08 03:36 AM CT (US)     3 / 99  
    posted 09-20-08 04:27 AM CT (US)     4 / 99  
    What's wrong with AoKTS and GeniED? I understand that Reneissance isn't allowed, but those...

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 09-20-08 04:48 AM CT (US)     5 / 99  
    Meh, to each his own imo. I'm an old school designer... I dont even like using map copy tricks tbh. But that's just me. If someone wants to use those programs I dont think they gain an unfair advantage.
    posted 09-20-08 09:08 AM CT (US)     6 / 99  
    Basically all TS and Genied give you is the ability to stuff the in-game editor prohibits; essentially to break laws of physics. Other than eliminating beaches and ugly examples of unwanted terrain mixing, it shouldn't have any real influence on your score, but I suppose one could possibly use TS to accomplish absurd map designs to steal a category from the "old-schoolers."

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
    Now in Fuschia!!

"I wish I knew what Yoshi's doing on the roof, especially in winter." ~Sissi
    "Yoshi lived up to his name and split into 100000." ~Rocking Doom
    posted 09-20-08 11:05 AM CT (US)     7 / 99  
    Cropping your image is allowed, but any other photoshop / paint edits are not allowed. This includes the cropping of the top toolbar and the unit selection / minimap bar at the bottom
    So, no text below the shots?

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    posted 09-20-08 12:08 PM CT (US)     8 / 99  
    What's wrong with AoKTS and GeniED? I understand that Reneissance isn't allowed, but those...
    The use of AoKTS and GeniEd2 is allowed, with no limitations.
    Ummm... Nothing? It's allowed. You're able to use it in this competition.
    So, no text below the shots?
    Rules edited, my fault.
    posted 09-20-08 12:44 PM CT (US)     9 / 99  
    I'm an old school designer... I dont even like using map copy tricks tbh. But that's just me.
    Ditto.
    Rules edited, my fault.
    *sigh of relief* Phew.

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
    HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
    posted 09-20-08 01:31 PM CT (US)     10 / 99  
    I dont even like using map copy tricks tbh.
    That makes no sense. Map copying is a feature included in the editor.

_______
    |Warlord|
    Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
    Member of Blackforest Studios
    posted 09-20-08 02:01 PM CT (US)     11 / 99  
    Just a thought, but if the rioting between the "Ahh mods, oh noes" group and us far cooler hackers is an issue here, you could make all the categories vanilla only, with 2 extra categories:

1. Dat edited shots
    2. All mods allowed shots

Keeps everyone happy.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 09-20-08 02:07 PM CT (US)     12 / 99  
    I don't see the point in doing that. The only ban is on modpacks which basically is a form of picture editing, considering you can put ANYTHING in a modpack. Besides, if old school designers have something against using advanced techniques, they can just not use them. Who ever said that we would give more points to the screenshot that uses new techniques?

Edit: I can now confirm that Scud will be the second screenshot judge. He just returned my email saying he'd be happy to take up the role.

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 09-20-2008 @ 02:09 PM).]

posted 09-20-08 02:20 PM CT (US)     13 / 99  
    That makes no sense. Map copying is a feature included in the editor.
    Map copy is fine. Map copy tricks (to create "new" buildings) are no good to an old school purist. If it wasn't used in the AOE or AOC ES campaigns, I dont want to use it.

That's just my style though. I totally respect and enjoy what other people choose to do.
    posted 09-20-08 02:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 99  
    Ummm... Nothing? It's allowed. You're able to use it in this competition.
    I can read, I was commenting Julius...

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 09-20-08 02:42 PM CT (US)     15 / 99  
    Besides, if old school designers have something against using advanced techniques, they can just not use them. Who ever said that we would give more points to the screenshot that uses new techniques?
    Generally, allowing advanced techniques gives an advantage to those that use them. Novelty value has an instant impact and even if you judges can ignore that, the voting majority usually don't. Look at the CSC, it's rare indeed when a data edited entry goes up against one that isn't, and loses.

If it were up to me, I'd allow Renaissance, AoKTS and nothing else. That levels the playing field.

posted 09-20-08 04:04 PM CT (US)     16 / 99  
    Look at the CSC, it's rare indeed when a data edited entry goes up against one that isn't, and loses.
    I really don't find data editing all that fancy. You can make a piece of crap data edited entry and a spectacular old school screenshot and have the old school one win. Just because some designers choose not to use certain programs doesn't mean I should change the rules to make it so they gain an advantage over people who do use data editing. If it's their preference, it's their preference, and I'm leaving it at that.

I honestly disagree with you on this one Julius, and leave zyx's rules alone as I agree with them and they've been used consistantly.

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 09-20-2008 @ 04:06 PM).]

posted 09-20-08 04:22 PM CT (US)     17 / 99  
    Map copy is fine. Map copy tricks (to create "new" buildings) are no good to an old school purist. If it wasn't used in the AOE or AOC ES campaigns, I dont want to use it.

That's just my style though. I totally respect and enjoy what other people choose to do.
    100% agreement.
    Just because some designers choose not to use certain programs doesn't mean I should change the rules to make it so they gain an advantage over people who do use data editing.
    Thank you!

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
    HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
    posted 09-21-08 08:01 AM CT (US)     18 / 99  
    Perhaps I'm going to give this a shot.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
    high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
    posted 09-21-08 01:13 PM CT (US)     19 / 99  
    Screenshots, eh?

Tsunami's most notorious designer
    posted 09-21-08 01:17 PM CT (US)     20 / 99  
    Well, considering you can never actually prove that someone use AoKTS/GeniEd or just found a new discovery in the editor, banning either would be pointless, IMHO.

dannyking.me

posted 09-21-08 01:32 PM CT (US)     21 / 99  
    I really don't find data editing all that fancy. You can make a piece of crap data edited entry and a spectacular old school screenshot and have the old school one win. Just because some designers choose not to use certain programs doesn't mean I should change the rules to make it so they gain an advantage over people who do use data editing. If it's their preference, it's their preference, and I'm leaving it at that.
    Thunder, are you really sure you want entries like this or this?

There IS something like having an advantage with .dat you know..

I support Matty's suggestion btw

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
    `
    Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
    ि
    StormWind Studios

[This message has been edited by Jatayu (edited 09-21-2008 @ 01:43 PM).]

posted 09-21-08 02:08 PM CT (US)     22 / 99  
    I see nothing wrong with either, besides their potential low scores. The first one hurts my eyes (no offense to the author).

dannyking.me

posted 09-21-08 02:21 PM CT (US)     23 / 99  
    Does it matter what they submit? Why would I ban someone from being creative like that? Besides, that second screenshot was not good at all. Everything besides the wall was very bland and the wall itself wasn't that cool.
    There IS something like having an advantage with .dat you know..
    Yeah, but what is it besides new units? If you don't know wtf you're doing with them then it looks bad. That second screenshot you posted was a prime example.
    I support Matty's suggestion btw
    I don't agree with the suggestion. Creating categories like that wouldn't be relevant to the rest of them. There's no "dat edited forest shot" category. Besides, if there was a category like that, it would be tough to judge considering every possibility of objects that could be in the screenshot. City? Town? Forest? Snow? Funny? It would be a guessing game.

I'm sorry guys, but I don't think that any amount of arguing is going to change my position in this situation. Data editing isn't enough of an advantage to persuade me. Thank you, nI, for your support.
    posted 09-21-08 02:51 PM CT (US)     24 / 99  
    Oh hey guys, look at what is in the news. It's good to see you've revived the competition for this year and I look forward to helping you judge the entries.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
    "Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
    "Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
    posted 09-21-08 03:01 PM CT (US)     25 / 99  
    Matty will now hotfoot it over to this thread to defend his work.
    If you don't know wtf you're doing with them then it looks bad
    But if you know what you're doing with them, being able to make anything you like to order is a huge advantage. You're hosting the competition though, so at the end of the day it's your choice. I think it's the wrong decision but there you go.

posted 09-21-08 03:07 PM CT (US)     26 / 99  
    Well back in 2005, zyx had a catergory for "Best Use of GeniEd" - so include something similar this time around in 2008, a round for "Best Use of Data Editing" perhaps?

Of course, data editing would be allowed in all catergories, but in that round it would be the main point to be judged on, just like humour is the central part of the "Funniest" catergory.

"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 09-21-2008 @ 03:09 PM).]

posted 09-21-08 03:09 PM CT (US)     27 / 99  
    Maybe this should be put under the Contests section?

I'll try to make a few shots, good luck to everyone!

◓◓◓◓◓
    posted 09-21-08 03:28 PM CT (US)     28 / 99  
    I think that's a good idea, Scud. Since everyone is so ancy about it, I suppose I can make it a category to persuade all of the designers who data edit to put their screenshots that are heavily edited into one category (like the first one Jatayu posted) and just use it lightly in others.

Hopefully this will make everyone happy.
    posted 09-21-08 09:22 PM CT (US)     29 / 99  
    Well it never hurts to have a category for Genied.

Can't wait to see what people get out of this.
    posted 09-22-08 12:12 PM CT (US)     30 / 99  
    Funny enough that christmas shot didn't win for me, outside the novelty value the blue sky is rather ugly. After everyone finished freaking out and telling scud to DQ me, they ended up voting for a vanilla shot that was more attractive. In other words, I don't know how much of an advantage it is.

The other one wasn't entered, just an example of what can be done for a thread I posted a while back.

Quit pulling up my screenshots for criticism
    Matty will now hotfoot it over to this thread to defend his work.
    Indeed, my honor is at stake here

Anyway, my opinion on it is that DAT editing actually hurts the screenshot, everyone reacts negatively to it on most occasions.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    posted 09-24-08 04:27 AM CT (US)     31 / 99  
    Added to the right navbar; I'll put up a page for the competition tomorrow, and I'll also put some reminders on the front page when the contest is coming closer to the finish line (unless Mr. Alex Scudricks plans on doing that already, in which case, ty Scud ).

Scuddles, if the screenshots of olde still exist, you should upload those along with the CSC ones. These new ones can go into a "Screenshot Competition" gallery too.

» Your attractive master.
    » "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 09-24-2008 @ 04:28 AM).]

posted 09-24-08 10:40 AM CT (US)     32 / 99  
    unless Mr. Alex Scudricks plans on doing that already, in which case, ty Scud).
    Way ahead of you there.
    Scuddles, if the screenshots of olde still exist, you should upload those along with the CSC ones.
    As I took over from zyx last year I do infact have all the entries (that were sent to me) on my computer (and uploaded aswell onto photobucket).

posted 09-24-08 11:56 PM CT (US)     33 / 99  
    *kicks thread*

(to fix issues with merger)

posted 09-26-08 11:09 AM CT (US)     34 / 99  
    Anyway, my opinion on it is that DAT editing actually hurts the screenshot, everyone reacts negatively to it on most occasions.
    They're more cool than they are practical.
    posted 10-04-08 01:35 PM CT (US)     35 / 99  
    Kicking this because I have recieved zero entries.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Sixth Annual AoKH Screenshot Competition
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames