You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Kings Heaven Writing Competition (Judging Over, THE RESULTS ARE HERE!)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
posted 12-14-08 02:52 PM CT (US)   

RESULTS!

The title may have taken you by surprise, but what you see is in fact true, Age of Kings Heaven is hosting their first writing competition, meaning you budding authors will not have to leave our shores to fulfill your literary urges. Our community has a wealth of talent and plenty of know-it-alls literary-minded folk so it seemed only inevitable that we would be forced to cater to your whims. From poetry to prose, from sonnet to screenplay, we want to find out who is the best writer within our community (but if you’re not a regular or a lurker, feel free to enter the fiction festival).

But why should I enter?” you all cry, you may wonder why you should put in all this hard work if you will get nothing out of it. But you will, eternal glory and acclaim amongst your peers, the right to boast that you are the greatest literary talent our community has produced, or maybe you just love to write and you will strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. But all that means nothing to most of you greedy materialistic folk so I am pleased to announce there is a custom title of your choosing up for grabs, it doesn’t have to literary themed, it is entirely up to you (of course, no naughty things) . There is your carrot; so I’m guessing you are all chomping at the bit to enter?

But what is a competition without rules (*groans from the imaginary crowd*), so here they are:

The Rules
  • The AokH Writing Competition is open to all members and entries will be submitted via email. Once we have your entry you are not allowed to resubmit a revised/edited version of your entry, so make sure you are happy with it before you send it to the judges.
  • The entry that you submit must be your own original work, with no input from anybody else (so no team entries). You can use pre-existing fictitious worlds and canon in your piece, as long as you construct an original story. (For example you may set your entry within the realm of Middle Earth, just don't go copying and pasting the plot of Lord of The Rings).
  • This is a creative writing contest, so any piece of fiction can be entered. A short story, prose, screenplay, scenes from a play, poetry etc. will all be accepted.
  • Each entry will be scored out of a possible 100 marks.
  • There is a word limit of 6,000 words.

Winner

The Prince

Written by Julius999

Read the full story!

Technical Proficiency: 45/50
    Literary Content: 44/50

Total: 89/100

Runners Up

Death of a Tyrant

Written by Dark_Blade

Read the full story!

Technical Proficiency: 40/50
    Literary Content: 41/50

Total: 81/100

A Long Time Gone

Written by Surge

Read the full story!

Technical Proficiency: 42/50
    Literary Content: 38/50

Total: 80/100

"Here Dead Lie"

Written by Mashek

Read the full story!

Technical Proficiency: 37/50
    Literary Content: 43/50

Total: 80/100

Other Entries

Medivia

Written by Lord Basse

Technical Proficiency: 41/50
    Literary Content: 37/50

Total: 78/100

Auguste's Short Adventure and Homecoming

Written by Other White Meat

Technical Proficiency: 36/50
    Literary Content: 38/50

Total: 74/100

The Terrible Tragedy of Omelette

Written by YoshiX100000

Technical Proficiency: 34/50
    Literary Content: 32/50

Total: 66/100

Tale of Three Brothers

Written by Fenrisulfr

Technical Proficiency: 34/50
    Literary Content: 31/50

Total: 65/100

Loyalty

Written by KingDarkwaters

Technical Proficiency: 28/50
    Literary Content: 25/50

Total: 53/100

Fictitious Age of Empires Screenplay

Written by Free Scarler

Technical Proficiency: 24/50
    Literary Content: 20/50

Total: 44/100

Thank you to *everyone* who participated, and congratulations to the winners! For more details, including Scuddle's critique on the entries, check out the Official Writing Results page!

[This message has been edited by Aro (edited 03-02-2009 @ 02:23 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 12-14-08 05:54 PM CT (US)     1 / 189  
    Good idea. I'll definitely try to submit something.
    there is a custom title of your choosing up for grabs
    What if you already have one?

None of us are free, one of us is chained.
    posted 12-14-08 06:08 PM CT (US)     2 / 189  
    You get the satisfaction of being so awesome that you won a title a second time.

Know god, No fear
    No god, Know fear
    posted 12-14-08 06:15 PM CT (US)     3 / 189  
    What if you already have one?
    You will join in the 'beat the record number of custom titles' contest. At present, I'm fairly sure I'm king with 3 different custom titles won until now!

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
    Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
    Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
    Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
    Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
    Offt hin hinder.
    posted 12-14-08 07:13 PM CT (US)     4 / 189  
    Oh! Procrastination, thou art the wildest of beasts!
    A short story, prose, screenplay, scenes from a play, poetry etc. will all be accepted
    poetry etc. will all be accepted
    poetry
    You thinking what I'm thinking?

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
    BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
    BEST SIG OF 2008
    92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
    "^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
    posted 12-14-08 08:07 PM CT (US)     5 / 189  
    posted 12-14-08 08:11 PM CT (US)     6 / 189  
    Morgoth will.

BEST SIG OF 2008
    92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
    "^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
    posted 12-14-08 09:25 PM CT (US)     7 / 189  
    Newsied for you, Sir Scudoodles.

I doubt I'll enter, although if something decent comes to mind I may give it a shot.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
    posted 12-14-08 10:54 PM CT (US)     8 / 189  
    I would do this if I wasn't already involved in a writing contest.

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
    posted 12-14-08 10:58 PM CT (US)     9 / 189  
    I probably will try it out. I enjoy writing, but I have a hard time coming up with a plot. :/

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
    HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
    posted 12-14-08 11:56 PM CT (US)     10 / 189  
    You thinking what I'm thinking?
    A 1000-word battle-rap directed at Scud?

» Your attractive master.
    » "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
    posted 12-15-08 00:18 AM CT (US)     11 / 189  
    Morgoth will.
    Can't be arsed.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
    Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 12-15-08 01:51 AM CT (US)     12 / 189  
    Can you enter more then 1 times?
    I mean, what if I have a short story but also I am so sensitive and cuddly that I have a poem as well and cannot decide which to submit?

The Wall

coming soon
    posted 12-15-08 02:09 AM CT (US)     13 / 189  
    I have already written a German AOE screenplay some time ago (yes, I've been doing that instead of learning for my exams ), and if I find the time to translate all 52 pages of it to English (omg, and the finishing date is January 14th? Gawd, I'd better hurry!) I will submit it!

PS: I sure hope there is no limit for the size of my work, or if there is one, that it's higher than 187 KB (which will likely be the average total size of it when I'm done)?

uh, something isn't right here... anyway, my World War 3 Mod for AOKTC can be downloaded at www.box.net/shared/bvrxatdsoj but the remainder of my signature seems to be gone for good...
    let's see whether I can make my campaigns visible here (they only work with my mod) http://www.box.net/shared/48xmrzdu94 http://www.box.net/shared/xl9rtl5k17well, it seems to work!

[This message has been edited by Free Scarler (edited 12-15-2008 @ 02:11 AM).]

posted 12-15-08 02:12 AM CT (US)     14 / 189  
    I think I may have a go at this. I assume there are no length restrictions/requirements and no theme restrictions?

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
    posted 12-15-08 03:23 AM CT (US)     15 / 189  
    I'll try get a piece of sorts in. Now that TAFE's over, I should be able to roll in something.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 12-15-2008 @ 03:24 AM).]

posted 12-15-08 03:49 AM CT (US)     16 / 189  
    I will try and wrap up this super great idea that I have for a series of short stories... It will be... er... something.

"While I'm profaning I might as well do the whole f*cking thing."
    -- Christopher Hitchens
    http://soundcloud.com/adult-entertainment - Intriguing music! Made by me! (It's excellent!)
    posted 12-15-08 07:03 AM CT (US)     17 / 189  
    Yay, it's here at last! I'm definately entering.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    posted 12-15-08 07:09 AM CT (US)     18 / 189  
    Actually, maybe I might whip up a proper backstory for the Huidin series...

Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
    Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
    posted 12-15-08 07:31 AM CT (US)     19 / 189  
    I assume there are no length restrictions/requirements and no theme restrictions?
    Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that we have a word limit. We have arranged on the word limit being 6,000 words.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
    "Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
    "Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
    posted 12-15-08 09:33 AM CT (US)     20 / 189  
    Well, this sounds great, but, Alas, a self-taught foreigner like me hasn't got a chance to meet the requirements for 'Technical Proficiency'. I'm really sorry because I just loved that idea ! So good luck to you all, at least that will be very interesting to read for sure.
    posted 12-15-08 11:00 AM CT (US)     21 / 189  
    In.
    posted 12-15-08 11:06 AM CT (US)     22 / 189  
    Glad this has finally been sorted out. Count me in.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    posted 12-15-08 01:44 PM CT (US)     23 / 189  
    A 1000-word battle-rap directed at Scud?
    Ah, but it must be a fictional story, correct? If I were to lyrically disembowl a member of our fine community (i.e. Scud), it would clearly be a factual tale. My sig quote serves as proof.

Edit: Hey look, dark_blade is back?

BEST SIG OF 2008

[This message has been edited by Gwame (edited 12-15-2008 @ 01:45 PM).]

posted 12-15-08 02:29 PM CT (US)     24 / 189  
    Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that we have a word limit. We have arranged on the word limit being 6,000 words.
    Argh, that's the death sentence for me... mine has 30'000! Damn! And I cannot cut away 4/5 of it because then I'd have to remove all the funny things... well, with such a much-too-low limit I cannot participate... and I had already begun translating and finished about 20% of it and now it's all for naught! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNN!

(sorry for all the swearing but I'm really annoyed now!)

PS: Before anyone asks, no, I cannot simply make up another 6000 word story on the spot. That would take an ungodly amount of time which I don't have right now and likely won't have until deadline. My existing story would be my only chance if only this limit wouldn't be so ridiculously low... I mean, how the **** am I supposed to tell a story in so few words? That's impossible (at least if I want to fit all my cool ideas in there, which quite franky is my intent)!

PPS: If the limit is going to stay that low, can I enter in non-competitive mode (meaning my story cannot win the first prize or something but doesn't land in the trash bin instantly)? It would be nice if I could still get a rating for my story even if I'm out of this competition just so I know what mistakes I made and how to improve my stories in the future.

uh, something isn't right here... anyway, my World War 3 Mod for AOKTC can be downloaded at www.box.net/shared/bvrxatdsoj but the remainder of my signature seems to be gone for good...
    let's see whether I can make my campaigns visible here (they only work with my mod) http://www.box.net/shared/48xmrzdu94 http://www.box.net/shared/xl9rtl5k17well, it seems to work!

[This message has been edited by Free Scarler (edited 12-15-2008 @ 02:44 PM).]

posted 12-15-08 02:54 PM CT (US)     25 / 189  
    Sure, give the story to us.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Age of Kings Heaven Writing Competition (Judging Over, THE RESULTS ARE HERE!)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames