You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Writing Competition 2010 - RESULTS ARE UP!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
posted 05-16-10 04:26 PM CT (US)   

See the results!!!

Spring has often been a topic of interest for writers around the world. Nature is reborn, life emerges anew in the cold and desolate landscape. A season of rebirth, creation and life, an inspiration to countless writers.

This late spring and summer, Age of Kings Heaven is hosting a new Writing Competition for all you spare time authours and want-to-be-novelists! The 2008 Writing Competition was a big success and now the time is ripe for a new installment.

Age of Kings Heaven has many great storywriters, which can see not least by looking at the literary quality of many of the scenarios and campaigns here. The Writing Competition is a chance to let the creative juices flow freely and focus completely on the story, the poetry, or whatever your preference is. Join in!

The winner will receive the grand prize of a Custom Title, which he or she may choose freely!

JUDGING:

The competition has two judges who will give a maximum of 50 points to each story; up to 25 for Technical Proficiency, and up to 25 for Literary Content. The judges are forummers Matt LiVecchi and Julius999.

For "Technical Proficiency" the main areas that will be judged will be how well your entry is structured, the literary technique displayed, the use of language for effect, characterization, thematic development and others. You will be marked down for spelling and grammatical errors (unless of course it is used as colloquialism during dialogue), so be sure to check your entries thoroughly for any errors.

"Literary Content" will be the content of the entry itself, and to be blunt - did the judges like it? Was your entry satisfying, was the plot developed, or was the dialogue wooden with the characters lifeless? It may be good writing a well thought out and technical piece of prose, but if it isn't interesting to the judges you are shooting yourself in the foot.

RESULTS

First, thanks to the judges for taking the time to read the entrants. Now, on to the scores!

*drumroll*

In third place, with a total score of 71 points (and narrowly beating out the fourth-place finisher) is Breathe by Blunt_Axe! Congrats!

Second place belongs to Dark Flux, which garnered a total of 78 points. Congratulations, Dark_Blade!

Now, on to the winning entry, which nearly sent shivers up my spine. With a total score of 89, please join me in congratulating Bart Pimpson on his excellent short story The Information!

Here's the breakdown of all the scores, ranging from highest to lowest by total score, in the following format:

[Entry title] by [Author Name]
Technical Proficiency: Julius Matt
Literary Content: Julius Matt
Total: Julius + Matt= TOTAL SCORE

The Information by Bart Pimpson
Technical Proficiency: 19 22
Literary Content: 25 23
Total: 44 + 45 = 89

Dark Flux by Dark_Blade:
Technical Proficiency: 19 18
Literary Content: 21 20
Total: 40 + 38 = 78

Breathe by Blunt_Axe
Technical Proficiency: 16 19
Literary Content: 19 17
Total: 35 + 36 = 71

The Deathbed by Lord Basse
Technical Proficiency: 17 15
Literary Content: 21 17
Total: 38 + 32 70

The Master Passion by Vars
Technical Proficiency: 17 14
Literary Content: 17 19
Total: 34 + 33 = 67

Cessix - Fist of Sunrise (Condensed) by Black Petard:
Technical Proficiency: 13 20
Literary Content: 12 15
Total: 25 + 35 = 60

Lethal Words/Red Nuts by Heldaryon
Technical Proficiency: 15 13
Literary Content: 13 11
Total: 28 + 24 = 52

Unnamed Poetry by Ronakoe:
Technical Proficiency: 16 12
Literary Content: 12 10
Total: 28 + 22 = 50

Hero by Leif Ericsson
Technical Proficiency: 15 9
Literary Content: 16 5
Total: 31 + 14 = 45

Dragon by stickmanlord
Technical Proficiency: 15 5
Literary Content: 15 4
Total: 30 + 9 = 39

AOKH by Coldviper:
Technical Proficiency: 8 8
Literary Content: 8 7
Total: 16 + 15 = 31

The Planet of the Invisibles by Possidon
Technical Proficiency: 7 9
Literary Content: 6 9
Total: 13 + 18 = 31

Fictitious Age of Empires 2 Duel by Free Scarler
Technical Proficiency: 4 3
Literary Content: 4 1
Total: 8 + 4 = 12

So there you have it, folks! Congrats to all those who entered, and thanks again to the judges!

All the entries can be downloaded here. Note that some entries may contain strong language.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 08-17-2010 @ 05:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-16-10 04:31 PM CT (US)     1 / 308  
Scud was a judge in the Writing Competition of 2008, and Julius999 wrote the winning short story for said competition
CORRUPTION!

I might whip something up - for morgoth need custom title badly.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 05-16-10 04:32 PM CT (US)     2 / 308  
Dammit, only a month and a half to write up to 6000 words.
Sadly, my exams start next week and my last one is on June 21st, so, I'm out.
Otherwise, I would have liked to have had a go.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 05-16-10 07:54 PM CT (US)     3 / 308  
I might participate (I'll do anything to keep myself away from studying for the exams).

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 05-16-10 08:56 PM CT (US)     4 / 308  
ill try

Life is bleak
My memes are bleak
Once upon a time
I ate a lime
posted 05-16-10 09:58 PM CT (US)     5 / 308  
I might participate because I have two month summer holidays till the 15th of July.I'll give it a try.
Can it be a story?I mean any topic for the story?
posted 05-16-10 10:31 PM CT (US)     6 / 308  
This is a competition for all sorts of fiction; short stories, prose, poetry or screenplays, anything fictional will be accepted.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
posted 05-17-10 05:45 AM CT (US)     7 / 308  
anything fictional will be accepted.
So I guess I'm not allowed to submit a story depicting myself as having a huge penis...
posted 05-17-10 06:05 AM CT (US)     8 / 308  
i am making story about the vikings.
can I include a description (which is necessary in order to understand the story) which does not count.
My story is almost 6000 words but i need space for descriptions of the gods.So i am asking to add an additional description about 'em which doesn't count as words.
Also,are there marks for spelling mistakes?
posted 05-17-10 09:20 AM CT (US)     9 / 308  
Dammit, only a month and a half to write up to 6000 words.
Sadly, my exams start next week and my last one is on June 21st, so, I'm out.
Otherwise, I would have liked to have had a go.
If enough people need an extra week or two, the deadline could be postponed. That was the case last time, but then we only had a month to start with.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 05-17-10 09:35 AM CT (US)     10 / 308  
If enough people need an extra week or two, the deadline could be postponed.
That would work in my favour as well, for I plan to be hung-over for most of June.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 05-17-10 10:55 AM CT (US)     11 / 308  
posted 05-17-10 11:36 AM CT (US)     12 / 308  
i am making story about the vikings.
can I include a description (which is necessary in order to understand the story) which does not count.
My story is almost 6000 words but i need space for descriptions of the gods.So i am asking to add an additional description about 'em which doesn't count as words.
Also,are there marks for spelling mistakes?

please reply mods.I expected at least you to.
EDIT-Can I add just a 1000 more words as a description?please,i beg you.[not really]
posted 05-17-10 03:01 PM CT (US)     13 / 308  
No. 6000 words is ten pages, that's a generous word cap already.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 05-17-10 03:11 PM CT (US)     14 / 308  
im probably gonna lose and it is gonna take forever for me to write

Life is bleak
My memes are bleak
Once upon a time
I ate a lime
posted 05-17-10 03:44 PM CT (US)     15 / 308  
for I plan to be hung-over for most of June.
Same here. :/
posted 05-17-10 04:12 PM CT (US)     16 / 308  
I won't as I'm immune to hangovers, biatch.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 05-17-10 04:23 PM CT (US)     17 / 308  
Irish people dont count. Ever. Anywhere. And they can't count either. And they're smelly.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 05-17-10 04:33 PM CT (US)     18 / 308  
Watch it pal, I will end you.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 05-17-10 05:02 PM CT (US)     19 / 308  
I may enter but I need to think of something to write. Do you have to write 6000 words or can it be a couple of thousand less.
posted 05-17-10 08:42 PM CT (US)     20 / 308  
posted 05-17-10 09:28 PM CT (US)     21 / 308  
as I'm immune to hangovers
I shall be partying pretty hard - got to put the last chunk of student loan left over at the end of term to good use.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 05-18-10 01:03 AM CT (US)     22 / 308  
How do I count my words?
I am not going to count 6000 words one by one.Who would??
posted 05-18-10 01:16 AM CT (US)     23 / 308  
Microsoft word has the ability to count words. There's likely a few sites on the web that offer that service as well.

- ک

posted 05-18-10 01:24 AM CT (US)     24 / 308  
I have MS Word but cant find how to count words.
BTW,I have already written 4 pages
posted 05-18-10 01:42 AM CT (US)     25 / 308  
Without bothering to open MS-Word, it should be under tools.

- ک

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Writing Competition 2010 - RESULTS ARE UP!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames