Please login or register

AI & RM Scripting
Moderated by Sebastien, Leif Ericson

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RM SCRIPTING negative borders
posted 11-14-15 07:04 PM CT (US)   
Hi.. How do these things work? I'm using HD edition right now, and I can't get them to work.

That could be because the HD edition is buggy, but maybe not?

Deleted code because I think it was just wrong. Anyway...

HD SCN EDITOR crashing even when I use top_border 50 on player lands with 2 players; Negative borders appear to do nothing at all in HD edition. I deleted my Virtualbox so I no longer have access to CD edition

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 11-14-2015 @ 07:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-15-15 06:30 AM CT (US)     1 / 4  
The HD Edition scenario editor is currently somewhat broken.

If you enter it immediately after starting the game, all maps will generate without player lands. This will cause some maps to crash.

If you open a single player lobby first and then go back to the scenario editor, then it will generate 8 player lands no matter how many players you actually specify.

If you ever select the tiny map size, this will also crash the game.

I can confirm the crash on top_border 50

Negative borders DO work, at least in the context which I initially investigated them.
Download this map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48628193/Rocky_Fort_TEST.rms

Then run the game, open up a single player lobby, switch to the scenario editor, select this map, make the map size at least large, and specify a seed (zero will do). Generate the map. Now go edit the script to change the -4 borders all to -10. Save. Regenerate the map. You will notice that some of the player starts have moved even closer to the edge of the map.

It could be that this is a very situational effect which you may not be able to replicate with player lands of a different structure. I don't know. Also, it's not a reliable way to force players to the edge of the map, because it only allows, but does not force them to be closer to the edge.

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my Random Map Scripts.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Definitive Random Map Scripting Guide
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.
posted 11-15-15 09:07 PM CT (US)     2 / 4  
Hi zetnus, thans for the response

Regarding # of players, I had to test a map before players would spawn. testing with x players would cause x players to spawn the next time i generated a map in the editor - if i wanted to use 4 players i would have to test with players set to 4 and then generate the map. All from the SCN Editor.

I did not try the single player workaround and did not run into the 8 player problem you had. Try what I did

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 11-15-2015 @ 09:09 PM).]

posted 11-20-15 12:50 PM CT (US)     3 / 4  
Patch 4.5 has fixed some of the issues like the number of players in the scenario editor.

However, the crash with a 50% border also happens in the UserPatch, so this is not an HD-specific issue. I think it might be that you can't give player lands a border that is more than 49% from any edge. It works for non-player lands though.

EDIT: It's only the the top_border that crashes with 50+
The others are fine.

EDIT2:
I've done a thorough investigation of player land border-related crashes. You can read about it here: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=28,42496,0,365

......../\
......./ / / \ Check out my Blacksmith submissions as well as my Random Map Scripts.
....../ / /\\ \
...../ /_/_\\ \ Proud guardian of the Definitive Random Map Scripting Guide
..../_____\\\ \
....\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ and the Random Map Scripting Links and FAQ thread.

[This message has been edited by Zetnus (edited 11-21-2015 @ 07:38 PM).]

posted 11-29-15 02:07 AM CT (US)     4 / 4  
awesome! Nice and informative thread

thats nice to hear about patch 4.5. cant dl it till my internet is back though

USA
katsup or mustard
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » AI & RM Scripting » RM SCRIPTING negative borders
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames