Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Is AoK dying now?
posted 06-28-01 06:08 AM CT (US)   
Ok, perhaps it doesn't seem like it's dying, since there's so much forum activity but...could it be the buzz just before everything falls apart?

To me it seems like most people have already decided to move over to EE when it's released. Makes you wonder, is there even a point in trying to complete your big scenarios which you've been working on? I for one doesn't find it impossible to combine EE with AoK. Of course, if EE would prove to be what AoK was for AoE, AoK is probably dead in my eyes as well...but one thing I'll have to admit is that I thought AoK Heaven would live forever, mainly because:

1. The game and editor itself has so much to offer, the freedom while creating a scn/cmp is almost only limited to your imagination.

2. The people at AoK Heaven, and by that I mean the people in charge of the site, the forumers, all of them...putting such a nice bunch of people together was really a great thing. It's been a blast reading some of the posts in this forum.

The second question: Has all been done? Now that AoK (in part) dies and EE moves in on the scene, has every limit been reached? Every trigger trick been created? Every scenario setting played out? Could this be one of the reasons?

I for one has never been able to insert the "exploding birds" in any of my scn's ... something I regret, but will try to make up for.

Well, that was just some of my thoughts...I apologize for any confusion or misspellings, it's early in the morning here in Sweden.

•[New member of Wildfire Studios
"I
don't want a signature. I'm just a victim of group-pressure."

[This message has been edited by martinhus (edited 06-28-2001 @ 06:10 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-28-01 07:08 AM CT (US)     1 / 38  
Yes. Now you are saying it. The AoE series are die bit by bit. But I don't think it will die totally!

Download the Trigger Trick guide v2.0 ID 344
Creator of the Return of the Mummy series id 715 :: Zelda sneak preview ::
Newest project: The World of Zelda
posted 06-28-01 07:09 AM CT (US)     2 / 38  
But if it dies totally it is only over 10 years something like that (I hope)

posted 06-28-01 07:41 AM CT (US)     3 / 38  
Oh no. Not every trigger trick has been seen by the eyes of newbie downloaders.

*devious grin*

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You'll see

posted 06-28-01 07:52 AM CT (US)     4 / 38  
Alot of people have tapped into this subject before. And everyone has differant answers at differant times. In my opinion..aok was dead for me 3 months ago. To be completly honest I am dead bored of aok.

Yet,some us just can't leave a community they've have been part of for years. I myself, have been here for a good year...and designing for a little less than that.

So even if people are bored of aok, they won't just leave if they have placed so much effort and work into helping to shape a community.

I myself, will finish a scenario I am working on. And if I have time another scenario. But right when EE is released I will design for aok no longer. I think I have done my part in this community, or atleast I would like to think that .

Either way, EE still has 2 more months or so.....

Angel §hadow§••HG••Age of Mythology Heaven••
SHADOWMIND
••Episode One••4.4••Episode Three••4.8••Episode Four••4.6
THE SWALLOWED REALM ••Chapter One••4.6••Chapter Two••4.9••Chapter Three••4.6
•••Life Is Overrated•••
posted 06-28-01 08:01 AM CT (US)     5 / 38  
Well, I still play AOE, but loath AOK now except for the editor, so yes.
posted 06-28-01 08:06 AM CT (US)     6 / 38  
yes, I can see your point Shadows. And as I see it, you've done a great deal to keep the AoK community up to it's standard. The Swallowed Realms will probably be remembered as some of the better classics of AoK.

Anyways, I was just wondering how everyone else looks at this. You're probably right. Good things can't last for ever, at least not like this. I still hope AoK Heaven will remain on-line for years to come, somehow.

"I
posted 06-28-01 08:57 AM CT (US)     7 / 38  
AOK will not die completely.

There may be now lack of high quality scenarios and the scenario designing section may not get any better, but multiplayer games will still live on.

Almost all the tricks in scenario editor with triggers have been used. With what the EE scenario editor (almost a game editor) many people will certainly shift there.

But, with AOM, once again there will be a great deal of activity going on...I am sure ES will improve the scenario editor manifoldly

ES....I though there would be something for scenario editors in the patch

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 06-28-01 09:12 AM CT (US)     8 / 38  
It never will, the guys at AoE heaven have been there fo 4 years, like wedsaz, or Phil Phree.

Just go over there and look at how much activity

posted 06-28-01 09:22 AM CT (US)     9 / 38  
What is EE??? Can you please answer that?

posted 06-28-01 09:32 AM CT (US)     10 / 38  
EE is Empire Earth. It is a name of a game that will be released later this year, and is supposed to have the most stupendous Map Editor ever seen in an RTS game.

No, AoK is not dying, but once some new games will be out, mentionably EE, then the loss of interest shall begin at full speed.

Raq milαh be'ivrνt ħodιret el orqαi, el nišmatν - Only a word in Hebrew penetrates into my veins, into my soul
I swear, Hebrew is one of the coolest and funniest languages I've ever heard. It's great, and some of the swears are fun. - Talon Karrde
posted 06-28-01 09:52 AM CT (US)     11 / 38  
its alright if a game dies to its sequal, AoM, thats what suppost to happen,

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
Visit Cheeseland and its Forums Today‡Jackassery and Nonsense welcome
‡‡1000th Post in Last Thread
posted 06-28-01 10:15 AM CT (US)     12 / 38  
Well I hope not because:
1. Nostalgic reasons. I still make a go on DOOM once in a while, classics never die.
2. I like realism as in AOE, AOK and Red Alert. As for what i have seen EE seems to be a little fantasy/futuristic (I might be wrong here).
3. AOW doesn't attract me (see 2) and it seems to be a bit like old warlords, kingdom and other turnbased games (Might be wrong here too). It is not fun waiting for your turn.
4. There have been hundreds of turnbased and realtime games like theese and thousands of others, and simply you can not be pro in any if you change game all the time, I work and take care of my family and haven't yet got time over to create scenarios and learn mods and triggers and AI.
5. My five year old son has been playing mainly AOE and AOK the last year and soon he will be able to read and understand so he also got plenty to learn, It would be nice if the forum and game lived on.
6. Keep it up and going.
7. It would be nice if somone could make a patch which makes it possible to create bigger maps, i.e four times bigger than huge map.
8. Have a nice summer (Sweden is hot today).
posted 06-28-01 11:54 AM CT (US)     13 / 38  
Quote:
has every limit been reached? Every trigger trick been created?

No.

posted 06-28-01 12:02 PM CT (US)     14 / 38  
Waarcraaaft Threeee!!!
Heh, I think that that's where it could go different ways - the strategy lovers among us will be attracted by EE, the pure fantasy RPG addicts will have to wait for WC3, and the neutral population will go for either one or AoM.
And hey, just move on, that's all.

Enter Phunk

SCN Punk has entered the building

posted 06-28-01 12:06 PM CT (US)     15 / 38  
Ingo: What's that smile about?

*shouts to everyone else*

hey, is Ingo working on a new scn or somethin'? Huh?

"I
posted 06-28-01 12:24 PM CT (US)     16 / 38  
AoK will never die! Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Maybe sometime in the future but not yet! Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!Never!

AoK? Maybe later. Time for some SWGB!
Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Rule!
Email me at tyrew_johnitt@hotmail.com
posted 06-28-01 01:29 PM CT (US)     17 / 38  
Ye, What Bon and Ingo said.
posted 06-28-01 02:24 PM CT (US)     18 / 38  
yes, oldies will still play but slowly get tired of it, buit nt for awhile, but when they get bored of it, its done, there will be more newbies after the new games, but not enough to keep it going

btw, i hope, unlike most of my predictions, that this prediction will be proven wrong

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
posted 06-28-01 02:24 PM CT (US)     19 / 38  
Indeed if I get it right EE is a kind of update as AoK.

If that is the case AoK will get back to the living again!

posted 06-28-01 02:41 PM CT (US)     20 / 38  
Editorbuilder: No, EE isn't like an AoE 3 or an upgrade to AoK. EE will span over a much larger timescale, from the beginning of man to futuristic (2002+) settings.

In my opinion, it won't turn out good. Don't get me wrong, I bet it will be a great game itself (kind of like civilization but with top-down-view and instant-interaction) but it won't produce the same feeling like AoK did. Personally, I never was THAT into AoE. I started out creating a big campaign which I deleted when AoK entered the scene, so AoK is kind of like THE groundbreaking game for me, not part of the AoE series.

"I
posted 06-28-01 02:54 PM CT (US)     21 / 38  
BTW people, take a look at this screenshot from EE...
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,376328-51,00.html

see the quite strong resemblence between this power-thingy-watchamacallit on the screenshot
and the power-thingys from Dune 2?

"I
posted 06-28-01 02:56 PM CT (US)     22 / 38  
EE had good graphics, but i think ill wait till AoM, i just don't like games that span to much time, the ages aren't done as nicely when only a few ages their done better i could be wrong but, i dunno

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
posted 06-28-01 03:08 PM CT (US)     23 / 38  
no cobra, you're probably right. looking at the screenshots I'll have to say that the terrain is wonderful, but the units, buildings and city layouts look...akward.

"I
posted 06-28-01 08:20 PM CT (US)     24 / 38  
I think AOK and TC could stay alive if all the EE stuff is just hype. I myself will check out EE and if I don't like it I'll stick to AOK:TC because it is a "rock foundation" for me in RTS GAMING I'll just see how EE turns out, but AOK will make it
posted 06-28-01 08:23 PM CT (US)     25 / 38  
P.S. I think that the idea of civs with no disadvantages is stupid,like in EE
posted 06-28-01 08:32 PM CT (US)     26 / 38  
Who cares about the civs balance for the editor ?

Aok scenario design is dying and has been for the last 3 or 4 months(I wonder if it will be like what happened to Aoe).

posted 06-28-01 08:34 PM CT (US)     27 / 38  
It will matter to those who make historical games,lol hahahahahaha
posted 06-28-01 08:35 PM CT (US)     28 / 38  
Then, u could disable the techs in the editor
posted 06-28-01 08:38 PM CT (US)     29 / 38  
Are you sure there is a trigger for that? If so, I would like to know how you "mastered" the editor before the game comes out
posted 06-28-01 08:41 PM CT (US)     30 / 38  
Well, I base my comments on the ee editor previews and what the aok editor had to offer.
posted 06-28-01 08:51 PM CT (US)     31 / 38  
I guess so I will try out EE and see, either way a good idea is to make scenario storylines which you can use for AOK and EE. That will give you more detailed storylines and you don't have to worry about switching to the new game
posted 06-28-01 08:52 PM CT (US)     32 / 38  
I will still fool around with tc even when ee is out i will do both games
posted 06-28-01 08:54 PM CT (US)     33 / 38  
posted 06-28-01 09:00 PM CT (US)     34 / 38  
Well, I have an old fashioned fantasy game in the works. Like the classic zelda and such.
posted 06-29-01 00:11 AM CT (US)     35 / 38  
I don't like the looks of EE so far , it could be good as i wrote before, but if its liek what i wrote i defanintly should not kill AoK, if AoM is nething like i think it is AoK may start to fade out slowly, but peeple can play more than 1 game, so AoM should be good, but i don't like the looks and what i read about EE, ill wait till AoM, i give AoK at least a few more years

Dona nobis pacem
II
V
II}(+){II
A
II
posted 06-29-01 04:10 AM CT (US)     36 / 38  
The screenshots looks good. But this is more like a mixup of AoK and B&W?

posted 06-29-01 04:12 AM CT (US)     37 / 38  
This game is great when you can buy it??

And what for system do you need to run this game?

posted 06-30-01 01:29 AM CT (US)     38 / 38  
Go to Empire Earth Heaven to learn more about EE.

Angel §hadow§••HG••Age of Mythology Heaven••
SHADOWMIND
••Episode One••4.4••Episode Three••4.8••Episode Four••4.6
THE SWALLOWED REALM ••Chapter One••4.6••Chapter Two••4.9••Chapter Three••4.6
•••Life Is Overrated•••
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Is AoK dying now?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames