You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The AoKH Totally Terrain Contest!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
posted 03-21-10 09:03 AM CT (US)   
This is a new contest I've begun. The AoKH "Totally Terrain" Contest.

It's a simple concept: A map designing contest in which you pour your heart and soul into doing the most beutifull map design you can - Not many Triggers Atall! (Exceptions are below)

Heres the rules:
There needs to be three judges: The judges can make a map if they wish, but it cant be reviewed by that judge.
I will be the first judge. I need two others.

Entree's must sign up in the thread, saying what there maps size will be, and any other information you care to share about it.

Maps MUST be detailed in some way. Even bland grassy plains should be at least a little bit detailed - There is now no restrictions of map size (Except from the obivous - nothing like a 5x5 or anything.) or amount of content, aslong as you show clearly the areas you want to be your entry. However, I DO want to point out that smaller maps may get lower marks, for both effort and detail.

Maps can be suitable for any kind of game really - Just make it beutifull.

Trigger Exceptions:
Name and Stat changes
Task, Remove, Damage, Patrol
Place Foundation, Research Technology
Create Object, Kill Object
Change Ownership, Activate and De-Activate Trigger.

Current Judges:
BF_Tanks
Greo
Thunder77 (No idea where he is.)
Turtov (Replacing Thunder if he doesnt re-appear)

Current Entrees: All entries can be found in the Blacksmith here.

The Deadline: The deadline was August 21st and has passed.

What you will be judged on:
The Terrain: (10 Marks)
How well have you used Terrain's? Marks can be awarded for skilled and good looking terrain mixing and placing. Marks can be awarded/lost for other things too, such as what terrain is where and if it fits in that location. Elevation counts towards this mark, as does water.

The Eye-Candy: (10 Marks)
What kind of Eye-Candy have you used? Does the eye-candy fit in that location? Does it seem logical for that pine tree to be in the dessert? Marks can be awarded for good placment, and if you have used triggers, Triggerwork also contributes to your total mark. Eye-Candy includes every gaia and "other" object placed on your terrain - including wildlife.

The Theme: (5 Marks)
Does the maps theme fit with what you have placed on the map? Marks can be lost for things such as Cacti on Snow, unless you specifically mention that the theme of your map is fantasy/sci-fi, or a once-in-a-century snowstorm blizzard over the sahara.

Buildings, Forestry and Others: (20 Marks)
If you include a village, does the village fit in with its surroundings? If you have a large forest, is it accessible? is it detailed? Units can be used in your map for eye-candy purposes, and marks can be awarded for good use of units and buildings. This, and Eye-Candy are very similar, but this is more specific. (Say for example, you get awarded marks in Eye-Candy for having a forest, this is the more detailed mark which gives mark for how you made the forest come alive.)

The Reward for this has not yet been thought of. Ideas float by though, EEE V2 Beta? Crown and Septer? Knighthood? BF_Tanks' Beta Tester? I'm not sure as of yet.

Oh finally; I'll not be making a map for this. I'm a 100% judge, I want to see what You can do

EDIT: Since Tanks has left this contest and none of the other judges have been around, Matty was kind enough to take the time to judge all of the entries on a scale from 1 to 50. More information can be found in this post.

1st - Julius999 - The Bay of Beran - 46/50

2nd - Tarsiz - The Lake of Garahil - 39/50

3rd - Watson - The Coast of Darvia - 33/50

All of the other entries:

Kingdom of Asgarnia - 31/50 (Possidon)
Countries At War - 30/50 (joshua4missions)
North-West Africa - 26/50 (Fanica)
Ruins of Anvard - 24/50 (Jecon)
Lumberjack - 22/50 (Popeychops)
Pathing a way to Europe 18/50 (Mark1)
Blasted - 17/50 (Greo)

[This message has been edited by Turtov (edited 08-31-2010 @ 10:05 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-21-10 09:05 AM CT (US)     1 / 285  
I'll join, if there are limits on map sizes (eg 30x30, etc)

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 03-21-10 09:24 AM CT (US)     2 / 285  
There is no limit to map size, but having a small map like 30x30 could bring your mark down for effort, unless its really wonderfull.
posted 03-21-10 09:29 AM CT (US)     3 / 285  
A 30 by 30 map is still 900 tiles. I can't really see anyone making a map bigger than that, as after the contest it will be effectively redundant.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 03-21-2010 @ 09:31 AM).]

posted 03-21-10 09:31 AM CT (US)     4 / 285  
Ill judge if you would allow, Tanks.

And I MIGHT submit a map, but I probably wont seeing as I have plenty of school/homework/other stuff to keep me occupied PLUS my current project. Or alternatively could this be a cutscene?

Or just a random story with no depth whatsoever and just a really nice map?

Guess who I am?
And because I like to feel important: The third ever member of BlackForest.

[This message has been edited by Greo (edited 03-21-2010 @ 09:34 AM).]

posted 03-21-10 09:42 AM CT (US)     5 / 285  
The map you sibmit has to be simply a map that could essentially be used as a template.

I want judges that are good at reviewing. I need non-biased, fair judges that know the difference between good and REALLY good. If you think you are up to the task Greo, I'll sign you up.

Judges can feel free to drop whenever they like, as can entree's.
posted 03-21-10 09:45 AM CT (US)     6 / 285  
I'm up to it, ill judge.

MAP:
So the map can have no actual function what so ever? Just something you can walk around on and admire?

Guess who I am?
And because I like to feel important: The third ever member of BlackForest.
posted 03-21-10 09:58 AM CT (US)     7 / 285  
Pretty much, however you can sort of linearly design it, as if it were an rpg - just no actual units apart from comp players for eyecandy units and buildings, and a p1 scout
posted 03-21-10 10:13 AM CT (US)     8 / 285  
unless a more experienced person will show up as a judge, I'd like to be one

Retired, old and senile.

Thread Destroyer of April 09 - Popeychops
I was jealous of your guitars at first. Now I'm jealous of your awesome room. Jerk. :(
And it's on a friggin towel? so you're WIPING YOURSELF DOWN WITH SEXY WOMEN AFTER SHOWERS?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER OF AWESOME DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? - Aro
posted 03-21-10 10:18 AM CT (US)     9 / 285  
Sure thing Guthan, I'll sign you up.

Thus concludes the judges, unless one drops out or there is a special exception..
posted 03-21-10 10:43 AM CT (US)     10 / 285  
I have a few questions: can you use triggers to patrol people, name people, or play music?

Anyway, looks cool.

Experience a fierce Norseman's tale of vengeance in the bloody saga The Fury of Rästulf

My Unit List
posted 03-21-10 11:10 AM CT (US)     11 / 285  
So, basically like a PTC?

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 03-21-10 01:06 PM CT (US)     12 / 285  
I'd like to show my design quality on a 60x60 map .
Beam me up .

The 1st Most Improved Forummer of 2010.
The 3rd Most Improved Designer of both 2009 and 2010.
Obviously, member of the great and the well known BlackForest Studios.
Was host of Continous Screenshot Competition I at AoEHeaven.

[This message has been edited by Fanica (edited 03-21-2010 @ 03:42 PM).]

posted 03-21-10 02:34 PM CT (US)     13 / 285  
So, basically like a PTC?
If I understood that right, it is a "PTC" - a "Pretty Terrain Contest".

posted 03-21-10 02:55 PM CT (US)     14 / 285  
How carefully have you thought out the scoring system? It seems to massively favour people who include all sorts of terrain rather than focus on a single type, and the marks for general quality have only a very small range of 6 marks. Also I'm unsure about the usefulness of separate terrain and eye candy categories, as surely any map would get very similar scores in both. Then the requirement for the map to be fully detailed is bizarre, what if the designer doesn't want to do a square design but one that is long and thin with the rest of it being inaccessible?

Lastly, once you allow name changes why wouldn't you also allow use of the task, remove object, damage object, patrol and place foundation effects, as they are all used to set up map design.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 03-21-10 04:55 PM CT (US)     15 / 285  
blaff

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 08-02-2011 @ 11:26 AM).]

posted 03-21-10 05:40 PM CT (US)     16 / 285  
Triggers you can use are:

Change Object Name
" " Health
" " Attack
Remove Object
Obviously Damage Object
Dont see why you would need Patrol, but you can if you wish.
Place Foundation
Dont see why you would need Task Object, but you can if you wish.

Its initially a Non-trigger map making contest, but those exceptions are for eye-candy and such.

I'm still working on the scoring system. What you see there is a placeholder, to show how much marks you would roughly get.

The reason why it needs to be fully detailed is because having a semi-detailed map looks, in my opinion, "half-assed". If you want to make a "strip" kind of map, then the strip should be long-ish. Not like on a "tiny" sized map, that just is plain lazyness.

OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD

Fanica, your signed up
posted 03-21-10 11:16 PM CT (US)     17 / 285  
I will take part... maybe I just let Fiding my work DDD

(just sign me up^^)

I'm looking for a good signature.

[This message has been edited by Ryusaki (edited 03-22-2010 @ 10:42 AM).]

posted 03-22-10 06:14 AM CT (US)     18 / 285  
I will take part... maybe I just let Fiding my work DDD
I beg your pardon? *confused*

posted 03-22-10 07:30 AM CT (US)     19 / 285  
Sign me up as a contender! I'd love to make a pure eye-candy map.
posted 03-22-10 07:56 AM CT (US)     20 / 285  
Hmmm? Sounds interesting, sign me up as a contestant.

joshua4missions

[This message has been edited by joshua4missions (edited 03-22-2010 @ 07:57 AM).]

posted 03-22-10 08:43 AM CT (US)     21 / 285  
The setup for this is much better now. Perhaps I will enter if I have the time. Good luck running it, Tanks, and also to all the contestants.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 03-22-10 05:06 PM CT (US)     22 / 285  
thanks Julius. Updated the contestants list.
posted 03-22-10 07:36 PM CT (US)     23 / 285  
Dont see why you would need Task Object, but you can if you wish.
Because units moving/working look better then units standing still.

Mods?

I might put something togeather. I hope you have time Julius, your designs are always very nice.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 03-22-10 08:18 PM CT (US)     24 / 285  
You need creat object.

For example you remove a part of palisade wall (like the edge) and want to build a watchtower where the edge was...

posted 03-22-10 08:28 PM CT (US)     25 / 285  
Same with "change ownership" - for example for flashing lampions on asian buildings.

posted 03-22-10 09:33 PM CT (US)     26 / 285  
I need Kill object (for example a explosion), Activate trigger+deactivate trigger, unload object (you cannot really stop units with task objects).

posted 03-23-10 06:14 AM CT (US)     27 / 285  
Am I the only person using a Giant(240) map? Since the deadline is so far away, I just thought I'd do something big. Yet everyone else is doing tiny maps! What's going oooonn?
posted 03-23-10 07:22 AM CT (US)     28 / 285  
posted 03-23-10 09:06 AM CT (US)     29 / 285  
The reason why it needs to be fully detailed is because having a semi-detailed map looks, in my opinion, "half-assed". If you want to make a "strip" kind of map, then the strip should be long-ish. Not like on a "tiny" sized map, that just is plain lazyness.
So? If the visible part of the map looks fine, does it really matter if the author was too lazy to fill everything? What if the visible part of the map is supposed to be minimal?

EDIT: Also, can we use new graphics?

[This message has been edited by Turtov (edited 03-23-2010 @ 09:12 AM).]

posted 03-23-10 06:02 PM CT (US)     30 / 285  
No new graphics are allowed.

Theres no point in using Kill object, since its a map to look at untill someone decides "Hey I can do something with this". you can if you REAALLY Want to.

wait, Let me be more understandable

This contest isnt to see who is the best trigger artist. I allow triggers to be used for the purpose of eye-candy and intricate detail.

Its primarily a contest to bring forth the brimmingly brilliant map designers, the map designers the aok and multiplayer of today lack.

And if its a good map, hey - you could be hired by some big studio to help in THEIR map design. Your map could be a widely known template! you could submit it as part of your port folio if you ever seek work in the Games Design buisness!

[This message has been edited by Tanks_fst (edited 03-23-2010 @ 06:06 PM).]

posted 03-23-10 06:13 PM CT (US)     31 / 285  
I would like to enter, and on a tiny-sized map too. What if people want to map-copy our terrains together? Just an interesting question.
posted 03-23-10 06:25 PM CT (US)     32 / 285  
Well, it is up to the map maker if he wants to allow copying and editing, as, sadly, most of these maps are going to be tiny, I'll say that map copying should be allowed- Collab map anyone?
posted 03-23-10 10:02 PM CT (US)     33 / 285  
Am I the only person using a Giant(240) map? Since the deadline is so far away, I just thought I'd do something big. Yet everyone else is doing tiny maps! What's going oooonn?
Sizes means little. (yes I udnerstand that that sentence can be taken another way, but get your head out of the gutter.)
It's afterall a quality competition not a quantaty one. And on a giant map in the time frame I dought someone could get the quality of someone doing a much smaller map.
This contest isnt to see who is the best trigger artist. I allow triggers to be used for the purpose of eye-candy and intricate detail.
I think people know this. Just allow any triggers and let the designer decide what they do and don't want to use. Afterall it is there masterpiece.
And if its a good map, hey - you could be hired by some big studio to help in THEIR map design. Your map could be a widely known template! you could submit it as part of your port folio if you ever seek work in the Games Design buisness!
C++, modeling, CAD, whatever, is a bit different from drag and drop.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 03-24-10 02:30 AM CT (US)     34 / 285  
Human units are allowed right? Or is it just nature, buildings, and the player 1 scout?

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 03-24-10 08:19 AM CT (US)     35 / 285  
I was wondering, Tanks. How are the judges supposed to rate? Do we have to use marco/polo or do we have to explore ourselves?

Also, wouldn't a theme be welcome? Or is it totally up for the players to decide.

Retired, old and senile.

Thread Destroyer of April 09 - Popeychops
I was jealous of your guitars at first. Now I'm jealous of your awesome room. Jerk. :(
And it's on a friggin towel? so you're WIPING YOURSELF DOWN WITH SEXY WOMEN AFTER SHOWERS?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER OF AWESOME DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? - Aro
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 9  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The AoKH Totally Terrain Contest!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames